PDA

View Full Version : grouse hunting?

FlyingHigh
07-05-2009, 02:03 PM
my buddy and i want to get out for some grouse this year. i've never actually done a grouse specific trip, i've only picked them off the side of the road during deer season.

any one have any areas i should try, and tips on what kind of terrain to look for them in and stuff like that? i would like to keep the trips within a 3 hour drive of Abbotsford if possible. i know a couple places up near cache creek, but that's a little long for a daytrip. anything closer?

TheDuckinator
07-05-2009, 04:38 PM
You can always go just pass the coq toll booth cause theres tonnes of roads to drive and enough grouse to make a decent supper but not worth all that gas money. Plus its a 2hour drive from Pitt Meadows so about 1.5 probably for you.

Best of luck

Jelvis
07-05-2009, 05:05 PM
I gotta a hot spot for you, for blue grouse closer to the Fraser valley go into just south of Boston Bar the Anderson Main leaves Hwy 1 and climbs steadily to the south west. The road forks @ six km stay right on the Anderson Main and about two hundred meters along the power line, then right onto a rather rough road, Good blues on the summit. BAM! POW. MU 3-14 goes up and up towards the Merritt logging road system ---
Google earth it -- When travelling up the number 1 to reach Anderson Main measure km and right after a cement bridge with a big salmon on it made out of concrete turn right.
Thia area is good hunting for black tailed deer from the bottom and turns to muley as you climb -- scout while blue grouse hunting and get a dandy deer spot
Jel -- your welcome.

Mr. Friendly
07-05-2009, 05:57 PM
I gotta a hot spot for you, for blue grouse closer to the Fraser valley go into just south of Boston Bar the Anderson Main leaves Hwy 1 and climbs steadily to the south west. The road forks @ six km stay right on the Anderson Main and about two hundred meters along the power line, then right onto a rather rough road, Good blues on the summit. BAM! POW. MU 3-14 goes up and up towards the Merritt logging road system ---
Google earth it -- When travelling up the number 1 to reach Anderson Main measure km and right after a cement bridge with a big salmon on it made out of concrete turn right.
Thia area is good hunting for black tailed deer from the bottom and turns to muley as you climb -- scout while blue grouse hunting and get a dandy deer spot
Jel -- your welcome.
Jel...I know you're mostly misunderstood here, but I love you! :D

FlyingHigh
07-05-2009, 06:04 PM
thanks guys. i'll have my code breakers decipher Jelvis' message and i'll track it down. :D

i'll definitely have to give it a shot. thanks again. :)

as far as technique goes, should we just crawl along in the truck, or is it better to park the truck off the road and walk? i'm not much for road hunting, but it can definitely cover lots of ground in a day. we'll probably be using .22s and going for a head shot, but i also have a bow and a 12 gauge pump i could bring. is 12 gauge a bit over kill?

rishu_pepper
07-05-2009, 06:25 PM
Those grouses up in Boston Bar can be spooky even in September, so no, a 12ga is not overkill. :D

sparkes3
07-05-2009, 06:41 PM
princeton/tulameen

Iron Glove
07-05-2009, 08:02 PM
princeton/tulameen

Hush.
There are no, absolutely no grouse in the Tulameen area. None. ;)
Don't go there, terrible hunting area.
Now, I admit that a few grouse have found their way onto our Tulameen BBQ but they must have come from elswhere.
But, if you really must go there looking for Grouse, please drive carefully on Lawless or River Road to avoid all those damn fool hens that get in the way of your truck. :-)

FlyingHigh
07-05-2009, 08:10 PM
Hush.
There are no, absolutely no grouse in the Tulameen area. None. ;)
Don't go there, terrible hunting area.
Now, I admit that a few grouse have found their way onto our Tulameen BBQ but they must have come from elswhere.
But, if you really must go there looking for Grouse, please drive carefully on Lawless or River Road to avoid all those damn fool hens that get in the way of your truck. :-)

i'll be sure to avoid the area. would lawless and river roads be forest service roads?

Jelvis
07-05-2009, 08:17 PM
Remember the Anderson is known for deer also, so be ready if they are open, like said at 6 km it forks - follow the directions above -- when you get to the top of the ridge that's where the big blues are.
The summit is 12 km up when you get over the other side over Merritt it gets better for mule deer hunting. On Merritt side it's Mu 3-13.
Jel -- take a drive up to the summit and check the hunting out. Then you'll either like it, or love it.

FlyingHigh
07-05-2009, 09:15 PM
Jelvis, where would i be without you!?

everyone take note, Jelvis epitomizes everything that is great about this site. hunters helping hunters. :D Thanks Jel!

geez, now i'm all antsy. i can't wait to get up there and put some time in pounding the backroads!

ROY-alty33
07-06-2009, 12:34 AM
May be no chickens in Tulameen, but just a bit north around Brookmere there are Big-uns.
Get out early though or plan on stayin out late...Not a real high noon type of critter.

huntinnewbie
07-06-2009, 08:06 AM
Princeton!!! that's all I have to say, other than maybe invest in a .410:-D

Iron Glove
07-06-2009, 08:11 AM
i'll be sure to avoid the area. would lawless and river roads be forest service roads?

Yep, access them off the Coq. at the Coq. Lakes turnoff. And, in case my attempt at humour was mistaken, there are a lot of Grouse in the Tulameen area. I just don't want the world to know. :grin:
Sometimes driving the mentioned roads we have to swerve to avoid the damn birds as they run along the road beside the truck. :-D
My late father-in-law used to whack 'em with a hockey stick.

Jelvis
07-06-2009, 03:22 PM
The blue the spruce and the ruffed grouse --3 kinds 4 get all the sub species - lol -
each requires different approach when hunting one of the three kinds -- ok --
the blue is the ultimate and the largest on the butchers block a whopping -
--------------- four pounds ten ounces ----------- WOW ! -----------------------
A small turkey, lol, same size as a pheasant - One blue feeds 2 hunter's -
color -- brown or to black - blues wander over a large range - down hill in spring - all summer on valley floors - come fall - go up - winter eventually in high alpine - for winter - loafing in tall trees, nibbles on conifer needles -- lol -- no kiddin -- one week lots of blues -- next week gone -- steadily going upward in elevation -- some spots they stop for a week or two so find that spot and BOOM! blues want stands of large trees with good stretches of open ground beneath them so the canopy lets the sun unto the forest floor -- blues and mule deer habitat together sometimes -- if open ground has berry bushes and shrubs and grasses it's a winner spot.
so remember these spots as they go up above each other so you can go straight there and hit em good or go up or down to another then your a blue grouse hunting machine -- POW! -- BOOM -- BANG ! ---
One more --- You'll earn your blue grouse -- walk up slopes -- POW!
Jel -- approach with caution and over a ridge top back and forth -- a full choke for long shots but hey sometimes a sling shot -- .22 is better lol --

FlyingHigh
07-06-2009, 06:41 PM
thanks for all the info so far guys! i'm compiling quite the notebook here. :D

Crazy.kayaker
07-08-2009, 09:08 PM
we'll probably be using .22s and going for a head shot, but i also have a bow and a 12 gauge pump i could bring. is 12 gauge a bit over kill?

Don't forget about the attack grouse (defense) thread a few weeks back...I think it was a few weeks back...you will need you 12 gauge if you encounter one :P

Gonna have to go check it out so when a long weekend comes around Mr Friendly and I can go out and Pick a few off for his table.