PDA

View Full Version : Travelling Stuart Cassiar Highway

bruin
07-05-2009, 11:14 AM
I'm going to be heading up Highway 37 tomorrow and I've been trying to learn a bit about it. So far I haven't found any information on where I can find service stations. If I start with a full tank and two jerry cans of gas I should be alright I would think? Anyone have any advice or know of any points of interest that are worth checking out?
Thanks.

Arctic Lake
07-05-2009, 11:48 AM
Hello bruin
I made a trip up there along with a few other fellas,but that was in the 80's way back when.If I remember correctly Meziadin Junction was the last place for fuel.I hear the road is all paved ,not when we went.How far up are you going Dease Lake? I can tell you that is some awesome country up there.When we where up that way past Dease Lake, we hunted the Dease river to McDame.The fellas at McDame who had left their camps unattended had major problems with theft.We took turns leaving a fella in camp.
Arctic Lake

Don_Abbate
07-05-2009, 12:19 PM
after the junction theres fuel in kitwanga iskut and dease lake thats the furthest ive been up , kitwanga and iskut close pretty early.
junction to kitwanga about 150 km
junction to iskut 250 km
junction to dease lake 330 km
keep the tank full as possible depending on your driving time but you should have no problems

Gateholio
07-05-2009, 12:30 PM
Take a minute and tell the Stewart mayor and chamber of commerce that you will avoid spending your tourist dollars in thier town since they are enacting anti hunting bylaws.;-)

gbear
07-05-2009, 12:31 PM
after the junction theres fuel in kitwanga iskut and dease lake thats the furthest ive been up , kitwanga and iskut close pretty early.
junction to kitwanga about 150 km
junction to iskut 250 km
junction to dease lake 330 km
keep the tank full as possible depending on your driving time but you should have no problems

I haven't been up that way in about 10 years, but I'm thinking you have Kitwanga mixed up with another place. Kitwanga is at the junction where you turn off from highway 16, way south of Meziadin Junction.

It's really nice up that highway from what I remember. You should have a great trip.

Ambush
07-05-2009, 01:20 PM
Fuel up at Kitwanga at the junction of Hwy 16 and 37. Then Bell II, Tatogga, Dease Lake all have fuel. No fuel at Meziadin Junction now. You would have to have a mighty thirsty vehicle to run out between any of them. But it never hurts to pack a jerry can, but it usually ends up being for somebody else though.

Arctic Lake
07-05-2009, 02:13 PM
Remembering the drive up there those many years ago ,we were thinging what size of town Meziadin junction would be,/when we got there it was gas pumps and a mobile trailer type think up on cribbing with a resteraunt.We said "is that it"!.We laughed are asses off!Arctic Lake

Don_Abbate
07-05-2009, 02:59 PM
ya lol my mistake i got mixed up on google maps my bad

ryanb
07-05-2009, 04:17 PM
If you have the time, a trip over to Stewart, Hyder and up to see the Salmon glacier is a worthwhile diversion.

Wild Images
07-05-2009, 04:27 PM
Stop in at Tatogga and take a look in the log resturant, some neat stuff in there and the Tatogga burger is pretty damn good after 20 days in the bush.
Good luck up north

bruin
07-05-2009, 04:35 PM
Good info guys, thanks. What can you see of Todigan from the highway? Are you sure its all paved. The website still says some areas are still gravel.

Trapper
07-05-2009, 05:50 PM
Its paved all the way to Dease, but just north of Dease there is some gravel.not much though.

boxhitch
07-05-2009, 08:16 PM
Good luck with your season.

I've travelled that route south a couple of times, and the only questionable fuel was Kitwanga when we were real late.

GoatGuy
07-05-2009, 09:57 PM
Stop in at Tatogga and take a look in the log resturant, some neat stuff in there and the Tatogga burger is pretty damn good after 20 days in the bush.
Good luck up north

agreed - good sized burgers.

GoatGuy
07-05-2009, 09:59 PM
It was gravel on the hill down to the stikine last fall. Otherwise all paved.

Ambush hit all the gas spots on the way.

BCbillies
07-05-2009, 10:06 PM
Good luck up north

They definitely don't hold back on the grease! The Bell II burger sits pretty good and is worth a try.

Ambush
07-05-2009, 10:12 PM
They definitely don't hold back on the grease! The Bell II burger sits pretty good and is worth a try.

I would second that. Maybe my guts are just getting too sensitive, but I'd rather eat a leftover Mountain House meal than eat another Tatogga Burger.:eek:

Deaddog
07-05-2009, 10:31 PM
was at tatogga a couple of weeks ago, fantastic food, breakfast was way more than I could eat, they have really fixed up the restraurant and the food was great... Bell two's restraurant was closed, only could get a sandwich and a drink, not sure what was up with that, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend tattoga, the new owners seem intent on providing great service,.... as a side note, we flew in with north pacific seaplanes of off tattoga, great flights, good Bush pilot, would recommend them for those flying in this year in region six. DD

GoatGuy
07-05-2009, 10:35 PM
was at tatogga a couple of weeks ago, fantastic food, breakfast was way more than I could eat, they have really fixed up the restraurant and the food was great... Bell two's restraurant was closed, only could get a sandwich and a drink, not sure what was up with that, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend tattoga, the new owners seem intent on providing great service,.... as a side note, we flew in with north pacific seaplanes of off tattoga, great flights, good Bush pilot, would recommend them for those flying in this year in region six. DD

Pictures of the trip and the secret fishing hole? ;-)

Deaddog
07-05-2009, 10:38 PM
Might be able to post a couple of "small" rainbow pics this week!!!!

Buck
07-06-2009, 10:27 AM
[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by Wild Images http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=477496#post477496)
Good luck up north

[/QUOTE
Hank Williams, Burgers and don't forget the hotshower they have.

sparkymacker
07-06-2009, 10:56 AM

We had a couple of meals there last year, including the Tatogga Burger....food is really good!

dryflyguy57
07-07-2009, 08:08 AM
Just got back from highway 37

Kitwanga , Petro-Canada station gas and diesel
24 hour Petro-Canada cardlock, diesel only

Bell II , Gas and diesel , high prices , if your not Swiss or German they don't want your business in the restraunt .

Tattoga , Gas and diesel

Kluchon Center Iskut, gas and diesel

Dease Lake , Tin Rooster Petro-Canada , gas and diesel , expensive
Marion Bros , just north of town on your left , Good folks and a better price .

Jade City , gas and not sure on the diesel

Good Hope Lake , Gas , not sure on diesel

Watson Junction , gas and diesel , great little restraunt on the right side , home baked bread , tried to buy some but no way .

Arctic Lake
07-07-2009, 09:24 AM
As I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread I made that trip in the 80's.Did anyone ever stop in and talk to that guy Mighty Moe Of The Dease?He must be long gone now, he was an older fella when I was there and I was in my 20's.
Arctic Lake

BCbillies
07-07-2009, 01:01 PM
As I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread I made that trip in the 80's.Did anyone ever stop in and talk to that guy Mighty Moe Of The Dease?He must be long gone now, he was an older fella when I was there and I was in my 20's.
Arctic Lake

Mighty Moe passed away early in 2008. Lived his last years in Terrace and was well known in the area. Had many a conversation with the fellow and he liked to talk about the good ol' days in the north. Caravan parks were his passion and he was pushing to have one set up in town! When new people came to town we would tell them that Moe was the mayor's brother-in-law and that you better be careful. For a few years he was a fixture with his old blue pickup/paraphanilia at the rest stop just west of Terrace. Some interesting fellows in these parts . . . Moe did some interesting things for a few $$$!