PDA

View Full Version : Sheep Huntin 2009..Year of the Dall

Rubicon500
07-04-2009, 09:03 PM
Well Exactly 1 week today I will be north bound to Gana River Outfitters in NWT for a Dall sheep hunt of a life time. Rather than waiting years for the LEH gods to bless me with the Tat Draw I bucked up and Called Harrold who happend to have a opening for July 15th, a 10 day Backpack Dall sheep hunt. You got to love them last minute hunts!! Heres to hoping the weather is good and I come back with memories of a life time and a 40" White Twister :razz:.. Best part of all Im back for 2 months then going to chase stones around for 14 days, definatly my dream season, heck might even get real lucky and have a half slam wrapped up come october :-P. Whats everyone eles plan for this upcoming sheep season?

kootenayelkslayer
07-04-2009, 09:24 PM
Good luck up there, Grinde runs a good outfit. Should be a great hunt!

mfarrally
07-04-2009, 09:41 PM
Headed up for Aug 1st stones. First sheep trip and i can't wait! Good luck on your dall trip!

willy442
07-04-2009, 09:41 PM
Well Exactly 1 week today I will be north bound to Gana River Outfitters in NWT for a Dall sheep hunt of a life time. Rather than waiting years for the LEH gods to bless me with the Tat Draw I bucked up and Called Harrold who happend to have a opening for July 15th, a 10 day Backpack Dall sheep hunt. You got to love them last minute hunts!! Heres to hoping the weather is good and I come back with memories of a life time and a 40" White Twister :razz:.. Best part of all Im back for 2 months then going to chase stones around for 14 days, definatly my dream season, heck might even get real lucky and have a half slam wrapped up come october :-P. Whats everyone eles plan for this upcoming sheep season?

Myself and 2 buddies got our Dalls when Bill and Harold were both there. Nice place at the main lodge. Great fishing, beautiful area and a Caribou tag should be thought about. Backpack or Horse back hunt?

Stone Sheep Steve
07-04-2009, 09:55 PM
If anyone is ever going to do this, this would be "thee" yr to do it.
There are tonnes of cancelled hunts out there as a result of the recession.

Heard one outfit up there only has was down to ~9 sheep hunts where they usually have ~25.

Heard another GO in Alberta usually takes 90 blackies each spring..didn't even open this year.:-|

Have fun! Hope the weather is decent.

SSS

Rubicon500
07-04-2009, 09:58 PM
Willy, its a backpack hunt. Never riddan a horse or been around them much for that matter didnt want to take a chance on them big buggars haha. I dont think Cariboo is open yet while I am up there, I could very well be wrong tho. Willy you got pics of your dall you shot up there?

bridger
07-04-2009, 10:08 PM
you will have a great time my partner and i hunted with gana in 2003 got two rams had a great trip. we hunted the horse back hunt july 15 we rode 8 hours back to base camp. we left our spike camp at 9 pm and rode all night as it never got dark. was a great time. good luck

07-04-2009, 10:15 PM
Man your making me envious, always wanted to go on a hunt for the White guys, best of luck to you and be safe......
I look forward to reading your posts when your back.
CT

BlacktailStalker
07-04-2009, 10:25 PM
Best of luck on your trip, have the time of your life :cool:

Brambles
07-04-2009, 10:30 PM
wow, thats gotta hurt the pocket book, but heh if you can afford it then thats AWESOME. Hope you nail a monster, be sure to take lots of pictures and post up a big story when you get back.

Good luck in advance

willy442
07-05-2009, 07:27 AM
Willy, its a backpack hunt. Never riddan a horse or been around them much for that matter didnt want to take a chance on them big buggars haha. I dont think Cariboo is open yet while I am up there, I could very well be wrong tho. Willy you got pics of your dall you shot up there?

Don't know how to post them. We were there on the second hunt so you may be right on Caribou not open. Long days back packing, won't get dark.

1/2 slam
07-05-2009, 08:57 AM
I hunted with Bill/Harold in 2001. Fantastic hunt. I got a 38 inch-11 1/2 year old ram. The fishing was awesome (Small rainbow trout spoon). It was a backpack trip. The other 3 guys also got rams and we were all back in base camep by day 7.

rifleman
07-05-2009, 09:36 AM
good luck on your hunt. dall sheep are a beautiful animal. I can't wait for your return trip,pics & story.

mr.280
07-05-2009, 07:24 PM
Oh man! your going on the hunt of a life time.Wow the country your going to see is spectacular. Got two stones and a big horn myself and always dreemed of going after the dalls, maybe someday. Have fun and get a big twister!

Duk Dog
07-05-2009, 07:56 PM
Good on ya. Best of luck!!

yama49
07-05-2009, 08:41 PM
good luck. looking foward to the story and pics...

boxhitch
07-05-2009, 09:23 PM
Good luck on the hunt.
Sounds like you may have a selection to choose from.

moosehunter21
07-06-2009, 02:53 PM
Heres hope to a safe and successful hunt! Best of luck