PDA

View Full Version : built a permanent tree stand for deer season

Bighorn hunter
07-04-2009, 02:28 PM
Decided last deer season as I sat freezing my but off that for this year I was going to build a permanent stand. Just got it done:grin:. If I get time before the season I want to build sides and a roof. But if time doesn't allow, I made it big enough that I can put a pop up blind on the platform.The platform is 8' by 9', so it should work out preatty good.Looking forward to a comfy lawn chair and a heater:biggrin:
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Picture_0075.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=14641&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent)

Steeleco
07-04-2009, 02:42 PM
Your going to share the co-ordinates with us aren't you?? LOL Nice job, but you've 9 weeks till season opening, giver!!;):lol:;)

07-04-2009, 02:59 PM
yeah nice lookin stand you've got there
where did you build it? ahahha

what reigon?

Bighorn hunter
07-04-2009, 03:17 PM
Region 7, 30yrds from where I got this guy last year
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/DSC05939.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=11250&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=6053)

gamehunter6o
07-04-2009, 03:24 PM
Near big enough for a hot tub.:idea:

Bighorn hunter
07-04-2009, 03:30 PM
Near big enough for a hot tub.:idea:

now that would be sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!

whitetailsheds
07-04-2009, 05:12 PM
That buck all mounted up yet? If so, let's have gander.......
PS that stand looks pretty good...what do you do for a living again?

Bighorn hunter
07-04-2009, 05:16 PM
That buck all mounted up yet? If so, let's have gander.......
PS that stand looks pretty good...what do you do for a living again?

Yep, Got up on the wall a while ago. Give me a call, and pop up

BlacktailStalker
07-04-2009, 05:23 PM
Now thats how ya do it :cool:

Dirty
07-04-2009, 05:27 PM
Heard there were some nices ones in the Peace like that. Apparently a lot had the take a skin mag leave a skin mag feature in the aftermarket magazine rack.

MichelD
07-04-2009, 06:24 PM
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e369/Hublocker/MichelEuroTwo2009022.jpgI saw this one in Germany in May. You can see it is mounted on a trailer. They just tow it around to whatever spot they figure will be good for wild boars or roebucks during the season.

Bighorn hunter
07-04-2009, 06:31 PM
Cool. Might not work to good on a side hill though. I wonder if it would be legal to have a loaded fire arm in it while being towed around?

high and to the right
07-04-2009, 06:52 PM
I was wondering if permanent tree stands are legal in BC. I used to see lots of them when I lived in Sask but have never seen one on public land in BC.

Bighorn hunter
07-04-2009, 07:01 PM
I was wondering if permanent tree stands are legal in BC. I used to see lots of them when I lived in Sask but have never seen one on public land in BC.

Not sure if they are legal or not. This one is on my own property

gamehunter6o
07-04-2009, 07:51 PM
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e369/Hublocker/MichelEuroTwo2009022.jpgI saw this one in Germany in May. You can see it is mounted on a trailer. They just tow it around to whatever spot they figure will be good for wild boars or roebucks during the season.

Looks like one of those old french urinals.

danfloris
07-04-2009, 07:56 PM

not sure if it is totally legal but ive seen lots in area 4 and 8 that are on crown land.

elkdom
07-04-2009, 08:10 PM
yeah nice lookin stand you've got there
where did you build it? ahahha

what reigon?

easy enough to find to find Bighorn hunter's TREE stand,:-o just GOOGLE Peace River Regional District ! (building permits), check for recent building permits ,,,;-):lol:

07-04-2009, 11:56 PM
I think I will be able to spot it from an aerial photo.

does anyone else plan on building a tree stand while for "next season" but just never get around to it?

The Hermit
07-05-2009, 12:44 AM
Consider getting a railing built and wrapping it in cheap camo cloth/blind material! Then just you head and shoulders would be visible... don't forget the old carpet, a collapsable rain shield overhead, cooler, foot stool, bench rest, video camera(s), and geesh camo paint that ladder!!

Nice job!

hunter1947
07-05-2009, 05:01 AM
Looks great Cam ,how about if I me and your dad can use that stand when your not around http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif.

hunter1947
07-05-2009, 05:07 AM
Region 7, 30yrds from where I got this guy last year
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/DSC05939.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=11250&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=6053)

Cam you just might get his bigger brother this year in that new tree stand that has 30 more scoreable points on him ,would be a great way to break in the new stand :wink:.

Bighorn hunter
07-05-2009, 08:49 AM
Looks great Cam ,how about if I me and your dad can use that stand when your not around http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif.

One problem, come deer season, I'm always around:biggrin::biggrin:

Just set up the trail cams yesterday, hopefully I'll catch big brother sneeking around

GoatGuy
07-05-2009, 10:21 AM
The beginnings of a nice looking hut. Don't forget the heater, chairs, and a pack of cards oh yes and the backpacking stove. The best thing about late season wt hunting is cooking a hot lunch without leaving your post.

Bighorn hunter
07-05-2009, 01:13 PM
Just ordered a pop up blind from cabelas. its 77" square and 70" tall. should be lots of room for my double lounger and a heater.Come on November 1st!!

whitetailsheds
07-05-2009, 02:36 PM
Just ordered a pop up blind from cabelas. its 77' square and 70" tall. should be lots of room for my double lounger and a heater.Come on November 1st!!

"Double lounger and heater??"....that describes Marty...

TheDuckinator
07-05-2009, 05:09 PM
What a buck! But nice tree stand,
Just ordered a pop up blind from cabelas. its 77' square and 70" tall. should be lots of room for my double lounger and a heater.Come on November 1st!!
Pfsssh thats too fancy you need to feel the cold :p

Bighorn hunter
07-05-2009, 06:16 PM
"Double lounger and heater??"....that describes Marty...

I should let Mart see your post:eek::lol:

boxhitch
07-05-2009, 07:32 PM
I was wondering if permanent tree stands are legal in BC. I used to see lots of them when I lived in Sask but have never seen one on public land in BC.They are tougher to see here because of the trees :p. You can have a tree stand in Sask ? Higher than a fence post ?:p

sawmill
07-06-2009, 10:17 AM
You have to use a telephone pole or else plant a tree and wait 40 years:biggrin:

Bighorn hunter
07-06-2009, 11:09 AM
You have to use a telephone pole or else plant a tree and wait 40 years:biggrin:

At least with a power pole you won't have t o fight the limbs with a climber stand:biggrin:. Plus it would make a great pic

Lupus
07-06-2009, 04:14 PM
I hope that permanent tree stands on public lands of BC are not legal ….. if yes I would be really disappointed. I hope also that the hunters don’t encourage this practice. I’m leaving a province (Quebec) where this is tolerated and where hunters spend more time on arguing, scratching the other hunters cars or breaking the tires than hunting…….and seasons are so short here. You may ask why? It’s simple: after several years of using the same tree stand the ‘owners’ consider that the place is theirs….so the others are not ‘bienvenus’ (welcome) on their ‘land’ (and I’m talking of public lands). Now it’s worse because the hunting groups are growing and the conflicts are more serious. The new hunters are often obliged to hunt in outfitters or to join a group if they have the chance of being proposed. Hunting Quality in Quebec? 0.

On the same occasion I say hello to all the forum members and even if I don’t know much about the hunting in BC I’ll try to be active and give my point of view every time this would be helpful.

PS: sorry for my English…but in Quebec they speak French.

Bighorn hunter
07-06-2009, 05:16 PM
I hope that permanent tree stands on public lands of BC are not legal ….. if yes I would be really disappointed. I hope also that the hunters don’t encourage this practice. I’m leaving a province (Quebec) where this is tolerated and where hunters spend more time on arguing, scratching the other hunters cars or breaking the tires than hunting…….and seasons are so short here. You may ask why? It’s simple: after several years of using the same tree stand the ‘owners’ consider that the place is theirs….so the others are not ‘bienvenus’ (welcome) on their ‘land’ (and I’m talking of public lands). Now it’s worse because the hunting groups are growing and the conflicts are more serious. The new hunters are often obliged to hunt in outfitters or to join a group if they have the chance of being proposed. Hunting Quality in Quebec? 0.

On the same occasion I say hello to all the forum members and even if I don’t know much about the hunting in BC I’ll try to be active and give my point of view every time this would be helpful.

Hey no problem,nobodys perfect, and thanks for the input. It sure would be alot simpler if evryone spoke english though, wouldn't it:biggrin:

jeeper
07-06-2009, 05:19 PM

I completly understand what you are saying and agree with you . This stand was on his own private property .

Bruce

Fido
07-06-2009, 06:23 PM
I would like to thank the young guy for his input, and your english is just fine. Hope you find a better hunting spot.

hunter1947
07-06-2009, 06:26 PM
Why do some people on this forum turn a positive thing into a negative thing :roll:.

high and to the right
07-06-2009, 08:26 PM
They are tougher to see here because of the trees :p. You can have a tree stand in Sask ? Higher than a fence post ?:p

Good one - That's why I USED to live in Sask. I once wounded a deer and tracked it for 2 days - with my binoculars while standing in my fence post tree stand. lol

GoatGuy
07-07-2009, 02:24 AM
They are tougher to see here because of the trees :p. You can have a tree stand in Sask ? Higher than a fence post ?:p

I think they call those windmills.

riflebuilder
07-07-2009, 12:07 PM
welcome lupus

gbear
07-07-2009, 08:53 PM
I like your idea of putting a pop up blind on the platform. I plan to build a treestand here soon and was thinking about the same thing. I thought about it last year also, but instead built one with walls. It's got an 8 x 8 platform and I made the hut 6 x 6.

TIKA 300
07-07-2009, 09:16 PM
I think thats a great idea (tree stand) :mrgreen: Hope you get that brutes brother.

I like to hit a couple areas in a season,so i would love to have a portable one.

Now with that said,i have 2 spots where i could put permanent ones.....:wink:

whitetailsheds
07-08-2009, 09:13 AM
I like your idea of putting a pop up blind on the platform. I plan to build a treestand here soon and was thinking about the same thing. I thought about it last year also, but instead built one with walls. It's got an 8 x 8 platform and I made the hut 6 x 6.

Rob, make sure you build yours just a few feet higher than Cam's. That way you'll see them big guys before him.
Achh, never mind, he'll probably be sleeping anyway in that comfy thing and won't even notice the deer.

sawmill
07-08-2009, 10:36 AM
Man,if you are hunting in Dodge from a stand you better put in a furnace:biggrin:I lived there and it`s pretty damn hard to sit still when it`s -30.Coldest day I saw was in 1983,Nov.30 ,it was -49 not counting the 15 mph. wind.:shock:

gbear
07-08-2009, 10:30 PM
Yah, I've put in some -30 days over the years.

Grant, it doesn't look like my stand is nearly as high. Here is a picture of what I built last year.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/P9070262.jpg

I found a better spot with more mature deer last year, so I'll be building another stand in the next couple weeks. But, this time I'm leaning towards the pop up blind on the plateform. This one took a fair amount of work and time.

JeremyCarrano302
07-08-2009, 10:40 PM
so whats better and easier to make a stand in a tree or one that is on its own legs?
becuz i wanna make a few for my hunny hole this year

hunter1947
07-09-2009, 06:21 AM
If there are big bucks in an area and you have seen them ,then it is best to build a permanent stand ,less noise getting into the stand first morning or late evening.

I like my self climber because it is universal and I can set it up anywhere.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Picture_12011.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=14693)

Bighorn hunter
07-09-2009, 06:31 AM
Yah, I've put in some -30 days over the years.

Grant, it doesn't look like my stand is nearly as high. Here is a picture of what I built last year.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/P9070262.jpg

I found a better spot with more mature deer last year, so I'll be building another stand in the next couple weeks. But, this time I'm leaning towards the pop up blind on the plateform. This one took a fair amount of work and time.

Great looking stand gbear. You definatly are a bit closer to the ground though. When I built mine I used my 22' extension ladder and it just barely reached the platform.When I was trying to get the first board attached I was at the top of the ladder and grabed a dead branch by mistake, snapped off, nearly shat my pants:icon_frow

Bighorn hunter
07-09-2009, 06:38 AM
so whats better and easier to make a stand in a tree or one that is on its own legs?
becuz i wanna make a few for my hunny hole this year

I would say using trees as your base would be quicker and easier. However, if you have the time and materials,building a base would last alot longer as the wind wont blow it around and loosen your spikes/lags.
I thought about cutting the tops off of the trees I used, but for now I am going to leave them, and just keep an eye on things.

gbear
07-09-2009, 06:57 AM
When I was trying to get the first board attached I was at the top of the ladder and grabed a dead branch by mistake, snapped off, nearly shat my pants:icon_frow

YIKES!!! You got nice height on that one in the end. Should be really good.

I would say using trees as your base would be quicker and easier. However, if you have the time and materials,building a base would last alot longer as the wind wont blow it around and loosen your spikes/lags.
I thought about cutting the tops off of the trees I used, but for now I am going to leave them, and just keep an eye on things.

Having built both types, going with trees is quicker. Overall, I prefer going that route, but in the area I built this one is an an immature aspen stand, with no tree over 6 inches at the butt. So I went with the stilts.

How many trees did you use for yours bighorn hunter? It's hard to tell in the picture. I've had good luck using 3 trees together. A 4th would be good, but often hard to find 4 nicely spaced out.

Bighorn hunter
07-09-2009, 07:06 AM
Started with 4 and managed to cut the top off a fifth at the rear to gain another foot of depth. Took some major enjineering, but I managed to pull er off

gbear
07-09-2009, 07:12 AM
Started with 4 and managed to cut the top off a fifth at the rear to gain another foot of depth. Took some major enjineering, but I managed to pull er off

NICE! That will pay off in the end with a beauty whitetail I'm sure.

I got a buddy lined up to help me build one in 2 weeks in a my new spot. I'll probably go and scout out the exact sight this weekend and look for 4 trees in a nice clump. I know the spot I want to put it, just have to find the right trees there.

huntwriter
07-09-2009, 08:16 AM
I like my self climber because it is universal and I can set it up anywhere.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Picture_12011.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=14693)

Hunting from treestands is the way to go. It's more successful than any other hunting method. Portable stands like yours are the thicket for a surprise ambush. Deer get very quickly use to permanent stands and avoid them like the plague.

JeremyCarrano302
07-09-2009, 12:07 PM
thanks bighorn hunter

Bighorn hunter
07-09-2009, 01:07 PM
thanks bighorn hunter

Hey, no problem, let me know how you make out