PDA

View Full Version : Quesnel the centre of the Cariboo for hunting

Jelvis
07-04-2009, 01:41 PM
deleted gutted shredded

Ambush
07-04-2009, 02:11 PM
Let's not talk about this at all. The animals up here are almost tame and largely over-fed, and so provide no sport whatsoever.

oldtimer
07-04-2009, 02:57 PM
And there is hardly any left as well !!

07-04-2009, 03:01 PM
Jel,
Are you some sort of hunting Jedi?

Chuck
07-04-2009, 03:59 PM
Well of course he's a Jedi, but he forgot to mention the rabbits and the grouse. Paradise road and your limit every evening - take your pick.
The only problem that I see about Quesnel is, as stated, you have to drive out of town now in order to bag anything. Believe me, never used to be like that years ago. Those mulies in Kersley, you could cut with a fork, and two chews was plenty. School bus would make three stops every other day to let a moose cross somewhere along our run. Fond memories! I've been back to visit, but it's not the same anymore - or am I just getting old?

Jelvis
07-04-2009, 04:00 PM
-----------------------

moosinaround
07-04-2009, 04:47 PM
I learned one time a long time ago from a gambler, he basically said, You gotta know when to hold em, you gotta know when to fold em, know when to walk away know when to run, you never count your immy's while your driven your little Jimmy, there will be time enuff for countin when the seasons done, you gotta know where to find em, know where to get em, know where and when to look, the right time of the day. Do you know where there eaten? Know where their ruttin, maybe what time a day their eaten hey! Then repeat second verse same as the first. Know when to drop em!
Jelly and the Jellettes -- lol -- QuezzzzNell -- where the big big, the biggest mule deer and moose are habitating in -- Bring your digital camera --
Watch for bears! wolves and cougarzzzz -- keep your back to the wall-lol-
Actually quite true Jellie!!! The wolves and cougars in the last couple years have increased greatly! Bears are bountyful, and the Locals are CRAZY!! It is reminissent of the great untamed North around Fort Ware and Tsey Key Dene!! I would definately stay away from the Quesnel area. Speak with RCMP before the trip if you go, and make sure you are loaded for BEAR!!! Back against the wall and pistols drawn boys, it's the wild wild west!!! Moosin

Jelvis
07-04-2009, 05:02 PM
----------------------

Jelvis
07-04-2009, 05:32 PM
----------------------------

wlbc
07-04-2009, 06:16 PM
Jel, you okay?

Wonder what is in the water around Kamloops...

:p

curt
07-04-2009, 06:50 PM
Hunted 7-06 for quite a few years had good success too 8-7 yrs ago deer numbers were increasing really well. Good numbers of moose and a few bears. Last few yrs moose numbers down not hanging around in the same spots I've seem them over the previous yrs. Other hunters I have seen there numerous times have been claiming the same. Wolf numbers up large and LOTS of bears. 8 yrs ago I seen the odd blackie now grizz and lots of them right in camp on the roads all over the place. Last year we were up in cow calf season guys behing every tree we knew of 1 cow and 1 calf shot in the first 4 days, not even hearing guns shots in the distance, guys were pulling out early hadnt seen a moose!!!! 3 of us pushed the bush hard for 4 days seen sweet FA. Fair number of moose tracks which made it even more frustrating but nothing really fresh. We didnt see a moose until we got 10k from the hwy on our way out in the wrong region!! I'm thinkin I wont be back in there anytime soon. Region 6 or 7b for moose from now on, unless of course I could be ever so lucky to pull a region 3 leh I'd fill that tag within minutes but at close to 20:1 or worse odds I wont hold my breath!!!!!

Jelvis
07-04-2009, 07:40 PM
-----------------------

lip_ripper00
07-04-2009, 07:54 PM
It is hard some times to hit it right in a spot year after year for moose especially when a person has four days to do all the hunting. That's why a person needs to know rivers, creeks and lakes for moose --- deer well hills and fields of food stuffs.
The ones I given so far are already proven spots over years of hunting.
Weather change, hunting pressure and different reasons for seeing a lot or not seeing animals. Different dates of hunts and things like the rut and feed availability.
If you want good moose close to Quesnel, and easy to drive to is at Hixon on Hwy 97, mu 7-8 Hixon-Ahbau, Hixon is 60 km south of Prince George. From Hixon on Willow river road system, from Hixon via Hixon and Terry Creek roads and Abhau Creek road 25 km south of Hixon. Good moose hunting a few deer sprinkled in.
Want moose? You got it.
JP

I look forward to meeting you some day, have a cold beer and have a laugh. The information you give is great, some people have to read between the lines. Fan<>of jelvis&&Goodadvicehavearead:p

Jelvis
07-05-2009, 12:59 PM
-------------------------

boonerbuck
07-05-2009, 03:44 PM
OMG...you know nothing about Quesnel....it's not the center of the Cariboo...that is Wiliams Lake!!!

We are Cariboo North here in Qtown....sheesh!!

Jelvis
07-05-2009, 04:33 PM
-----------------------

Jelvis
02-20-2010, 08:22 PM
-----------------------

dedapair
02-20-2010, 09:03 PM
I lived in Quesnel for two years in the mid to late 90's. When I first moved there a local told me that Quesnel wasn't the a%%hole of the universe, but you could see it from there..... I've NEVER seen black bears like the numbers I saw up there.

Jelvis
03-26-2010, 05:32 PM
-----------------------

Jelvis
05-07-2010, 12:05 PM
------------------------

swamper
05-07-2010, 12:09 PM
Absolutely no reason for anyone to want to come here to Quesnel. The hunting sucks:) and the fishing is the pits:). Stay away, go to the Island or the Kootenays, but don't waste your gas coming here. Hell, it's gotten so bad, I may have to drive 20 km to find a place to hunt.

Timbow
05-07-2010, 02:39 PM
Absolutely no reason for anyone to want to come here to Quesnel. The hunting sucks:) and the fishing is the pits:). Stay away, go to the Island or the Kootenays, but don't waste your gas coming here. Hell, it's gotten so bad, I may have to drive 20 km to find a place to hunt.

Sounds about right....with the amount antler growth I am seeing on the bucks, I may have to drive 25 km (round trip).

Rowdy
05-08-2010, 08:26 AM
Head for kamloops thats honey hole!

300wsmXboltKiller
05-09-2010, 02:24 AM
head for quesnel they opened moose for leh n region 5 again yippie lets kill em dead lol :)

Jelvis
05-09-2010, 07:39 AM
------------------------

TPK
05-09-2010, 10:15 PM
The Mrs. and I put in again for a shared LEH Moose hunt for here, hope we get it. It's been over 4 years since our last successfull draw. Jelvis is right, if we get the draw it sure will be a fun hunt.