PDA

View Full Version : Siltarp..."dome"

srupp
07-03-2009, 11:14 PM
Well my "siltarp 2 tarp arrived....:roll: well "sort of arrived " they sent the WORNG ONE..:biggrin: first order WELCOME TO MEC..

Anyhows..what they send is the siltarp dome..it is NOT just a siltarp..it has one (1) pole and 4 stakes..and is a well "dome" the front can be folded back to sit under a 1/2 dome..it appears VERY wind resistant and sets up pretty darn fast..2 minutes tops..and can be zipped shut to make a dome tent without a floor..

Has anyone used one of these??? I havnt used one in the real out doors..so ???anyone????

It is 5 or 6 oz heavier than just the tarp...

wondering keep it or ship it back?????

thanks

Steven

Dirty
07-03-2009, 11:18 PM
What brand is it?

srupp
07-04-2009, 07:38 AM
Integral Designs "Siltarp dome"...

steven

Devilbear
07-04-2009, 07:45 AM
I tried one in my front yard, (I test every item before taking it into the bush) and the pole snapped....I returned it and this is the one ID item I dislike.

Again, call John at Mountain Magic, at 604-535-5182, you will NOT be disappointed. MEC makes errors all the time, I have been a member for 37 years and they f**kup like this often, always have.

buckguy
07-04-2009, 08:25 AM
Definately call John @ Mountain Magic, very knowledgable and a great guy to deal with. I have been going there since I was 17ish and just can't beat the litle store...I thought even mentioning MEC was a no no on these threads...:wink:

BCLongshot
07-04-2009, 08:33 AM
srupp

Not intending to dis u what so ever.

MEC is the biggest snot nosed org. around. They're bitches when it comes to hunting/trapping. Totally disfunctional culture.

I'd go totally outa my way to help anyone to buy a product at any other store/company.

There service is totally the shits ! Mailorder and in the store.

07-04-2009, 09:50 AM
srupp

Not intending to dis u what so ever.

MEC is the biggest snot nosed org. around. They're bitches when it comes to hunting/trapping. Totally disfunctional culture.

I'd go totally outa my way to help anyone to buy a product at any other store/company.

There service is totally the shits ! Mailorder and in the store.

yeah but don't you love the granola eating vibe you get in there.

Devilbear
07-04-2009, 10:14 AM
There are a FEW good folks at MEC, I have had good mail-order service, but, the in-store service is pathetic...try CMS or whatever they now call themselves, it's WORSE!

People want top quality service, 1.5 hour boot fitting assistance from skilled pros and LOW prices on EVERYTHING they buy. So, what do you expect, those who CAN properly fit boots, packs and give advice on BC conditions from having BEEN THERE get tired of being paid dogmeat wages and find other employment.

John is unique in the Lower Mainland and anywhere else in BC I have shopped for outdoor gear, a LOT of stores in my decades of hiking, hunting, etc. I always recommend him and have bought many $$$$ worth of gear from him and will continue to do so.

On the ID Siltarps, I have four different models at present plus my old Moss tarp from before silknylon. I prefer the larger ID STIII, at 20 oz. as it gives a LOT of protection and packs almost as small as my smaller tarps.

srupp
07-04-2009, 10:49 AM
PROBLEM SOLVED..LOL

steven

Ambush
07-04-2009, 11:47 AM
Did you decide to keep it? If you paid for the SiltarpII and got the dome, you saved $35 after taxes.
I just picked up a SiltarpII at the PO this morning. Now I have to practice pitching it in a high wind while getting hammered with stinging cold rain. Just like real sheep hunting!

My wife graciously offered to keep the hose on me.

bullmagnum
07-04-2009, 12:14 PM
I was in MEC the other day, picking up a few clothing items, and the moron at the til was guilt tripping me for asking for a bag! hahaha. I had to walk over 10 blocks to my car, so I said "yes, i'd like a bag," and he says "do want one, or need one?" He then went on to describe how the landfill is full, and can't fit anymore bags....to which I responded "arent your bags 100% compostable and biodegradable?" and he pulled out the dumbass line "yeah, but the best bag is No Bag!" I laughed quite loudly, turned to the lineup of 10 people behind and said "have fun with this nutjob" and left.

I like their seamless boxers, but not enough to shop there anymore.

ferndogger
07-04-2009, 12:52 PM
I was in MEC the other day, picking up a few clothing items, and the moron at the til was guilt tripping me for asking for a bag! hahaha. I had to walk over 10 blocks to my car, so I said "yes, i'd like a bag," and he says "do want one, or need one?" He then went on to describe how the landfill is full, and can't fit anymore bags....to which I responded "arent your bags 100% compostable and biodegradable?" and he pulled out the dumbass line "yeah, but the best bag is No Bag!" I laughed quite loudly, turned to the lineup of 10 people behind and said "have fun with this nutjob" and left.

I like their seamless boxers, but not enough to shop there anymore.

I dont see what is wrong with that. He is right we use way to many plastic bags. I try not to use any plastic bags when I shop, I use the re-usable ones. For someone who I am led to believe spends alot of times outdoors enjoying the environment hunting and fishing, that is a pretty ridiculous post.

bigwhiteys
07-04-2009, 01:03 PM
I dont see what is wrong with that. He is right we use way to many plastic bags. I try not to use any plastic bags when I shop, I use the re-usable ones. For someone who I am led to believe spends alot of times outdoors enjoying the environment hunting and fishing, that is a pretty ridiculous post.

Actually... When you decline a bag at MEC they will donate the .05 cents to one of their chosen groups. Raincoast and PacificWild being two of the organizations that receive funds I believe. They are the two groups really rallying to end our bear hunting.

Carl

BCLongshot
07-04-2009, 01:04 PM
ferndogger

Are you serious ? Jeez Louise. bullmagnum is totally right.

U'd be so easy to rip. Anybody who starts on the self-righteous enviro bullsh*t has to give his head a shake.

MEC is way out there. There's nobody normal and functional in that culture I'll guarantee it.

We'll forgive u though.

Devilbear
07-04-2009, 01:19 PM

Don't waste your time, the "key" to this is in your post in ...led to believe...etc. I am sure you get my point.

ferndogger
07-04-2009, 01:49 PM
I wasn't trying to come off as self rightgous environmentalist, but I do try my best to be environmentally healthy. Case in point. I was guiding a horse trip back in the mountains last weekend. We were about 6 hours up in the middle of the mountains, only accessable by horseback or hiking, and guess what was there, 4 empty bud cans and a empty pack of beef jerky, and some old shell casings. To come all this way and see that pissed me off. The people (hunters) up there that left this crap up there obviously have a love for the outdoors and just to litter like that is pretty disrespectful. What I am trying to say is alot of hunters and outdoorsman on this site trash talk when it comes to anything to do with being environmentaly friendly, and we should be the ones trying to preserve the environment. Yes alot of the people that form the MEC community are hippies and a little over the top, but I can guarentee you they arent the ones leaving the bud cans and beef jerky packets in the wilderness.

Gateholio
07-04-2009, 02:14 PM
Plastic bag nazism is growing stronger daily. yes, I believe int he overall concept of using less and reusing what we do use. However, For years I've declined bags when clerks would go to put a single object into one for me. I even take the reusable fabric bags with me to the grocery store when I remember.

But sometimes I don't have a bag with me, and I need one. I'm perfectly capable of deciding for myself when I need a plastic bag provided, and when I don't. I don't need the snotty lectures or the blank stares from clerks when you are standing at a till and waiting for them to BAG your purchases!:razz:

Ambush
07-04-2009, 02:22 PM
Insist on paper bags. Made from all natural, renewable fibre.

If they only have plastic, then YOU give THEM a lecture on resource stewardship!!

Rubicon500
07-05-2009, 04:37 PM
Greenpeace, granola munchers or whatever you want to call MEC. Ive orderd alot of stuff through them and have not once ever had a problem. Im in the Okanagan and my orders usually show up here in a couple days. Thousands of $$ in gear and have never once had a screwed up order. I shop where I get good service and good prices, I could care less what there personal flavour. Us hunters are own worst enemy not the greenpeacers, no one sticks together and everyone is agaisnt each other. From Bow hunters hating on Rifle hunters(crossbows as well), ppl hating on road hunters then the hole meat should be your primary reason for hunting not the trophy and the list goes on. We cant agree on any one topic and you wonder why we get LEH'd to death and seasons getting closed.

brenden
07-05-2009, 04:48 PM
Holy hijack boys....... remember.....sil-tarp.......

Brenden

The Hermit
07-05-2009, 05:12 PM
Bottom Line - MEC donates money to anti-hunting organizations!!! I cancelled my membership a couple years ago. They sent me a few hundred dollars for my "share" since the value of the share went up a bunch over the years. I went right out and bought some boots at one of their competitors! F&u*ck MEC they will never see another penny from me.

blackbart
07-05-2009, 07:27 PM
The Hermit, please tell me more about how to capture value from my MEC membership? Perhaps all of us that dare to hunt the wonderfull critters that mother earth made could start a micro campaign. Can't stand going into the store, but tolerate the mail order service. Probably should switch suppliers due to their policies.

As far as the sil tarp question goes, will let you know in about six or seven weeks as this is the very beast that I will be using for August sheep hunting. Crazy though, MEC sent me the very same goods as I ordered? B*astards for performing accurate delivery within five days of my ordering the goods.

srupp
07-05-2009, 08:22 PM
blackbart..so YOU ALSO got the siltarp "dome"???

I would love to hear your comments..
steven

dutchie
07-05-2009, 11:23 PM
Again, call John at Mountain Magic, at 604-535-5182, you will NOT be disappointed. MEC makes errors all the time, I have been a member for 37 years and they f**kup like this often, always have.

Definately call John @ Mountain Magic, very knowledgable and a great guy to deal with. I have been going there since I was 17ish and just can't beat the litle store...I thought even mentioning MEC was a no no on these threads...:wink:

I buy everything I can from John as he is a good local guy and he is litteraly right beside my office. Any new guns that I have come in he is chomping at the bit to see them.

He is not a hunter but he is very interested and supports hunters. I met the Vice President of the Stone Sheep Sociaty in there and he was blow away because we were talking about hunting in a mountineering store.

John is a NO BS guy, he will not over sell you, he will give you a great discount if you are a repeat customer. He is a South African guy and he just wants to talk about hunting (especialy Sheep and Goat).

When I got my dog he got pretty mad at me because i DIDN"T bring him into the store!!! and he loves hunting stories!!

He is so passionate about the gear, and is very good with returns and defects.

Dutchie

srupp
07-06-2009, 10:24 AM
great recomendation..will use him as a supplier..

Steven

Devilbear
07-06-2009, 11:42 PM
I will add one other recommendation for an excellent source for highend backpacking gear and from a "gun-friendly" source. I have bought thousands of $$$$ worth of gear from this gentleman and I now buy almost exclusively from him and John.

Charlie Jennings, Bear River Outfitters, Deweyville, Utah..435-764-1111

I cannot speak too highly of his service, honesty, good pricing and he sometimes has barely used Hilleberg and ID tents and Valandre bags for sale at major discounts.

He calls me for my opinion on various items and I have sent a few guys to him and they have been happy with the results. For example, he had a new (used once) ID MKI-XL tent, just like mine and was selling it for about 2/3 of the regular price and ID are simply THE BEST SW-wpb tents made, so, this is a hell of a deal.

So, these are two top-notch sources for anyone interested. MEC is a LOT better than it was 10-15 years ago, but, one still encounters "experts" in there and I am too damm old and miserable to put up with their BS.

Dirty
07-07-2009, 06:57 AM
I was in MEC yesterday picking up some Trekking poles, and I have to say one thing. The women in there were phenomenal. There was some top choice female customers and employees. I actually got in trouble for pitching my siltarp in the store. :D

srupp
07-07-2009, 10:12 AM
lmao...

Steven