PDA

View Full Version : No Hunting for 15 Years- That's more like it.

SUAFOYT
07-02-2009, 10:41 PM
http://www.bclocalnews.com/bc_thompson_nicola/clearwatertimes/news/49243877.html

This is a penalty that fits the crime in my opinion. No hunting for 15 years.

hunterofthedeer
07-02-2009, 10:46 PM
why dont they all get this punishment?

palmer
07-02-2009, 10:47 PM
Poacher not a hunter....He should lose the right to own firearms and get a lifetime prohib. he never had a hunting licence when he shot the Elk so he loses very little. Poachers are criminals and should be treated like thieves. Take away there guns and then its a little tougher to poach.

CabinFever
07-02-2009, 10:55 PM
Good to see a penalty with some teeth!

Riverratz
07-02-2009, 11:11 PM
He was also prohib'd from owning/possessing guns/bows for the same time period............GOOD !!!

07-02-2009, 11:17 PM
sure beats the usual 5 year ban and a kick in the pants.
15 years is a long time.
but I think there is always room for a stiffer punishment.

Steeleco
07-02-2009, 11:38 PM
Poacher not a hunter....He should lose the right to own firearms and get a lifetime prohib. he never had a hunting licence when he shot the Elk so he loses very little. Poachers are criminals and should be treated like thieves. Take away there guns and then its a little tougher to poach.

Agreed 110%

The Hermit
07-02-2009, 11:56 PM
I would have liked to see a fine of about $20K on top of all that the got. But this is a start!!!

hunter1947
07-03-2009, 04:59 AM
The courts did a good job :grin:.

Blacktail
07-03-2009, 05:15 AM
he's a poacher that never had a licence
who's to say that he won't just hunt again without a licence

he should have got jail time too:evil:

mrdoog
07-03-2009, 06:50 AM
he's a poacher that never had a licence
who's to say that he won't just hunt again without a licence

he should have got jail time too:evil:

I agree!
Big whoop, all that's going to happen is he's going to save money by not buying tags for 15 years.
He'll be back out poaching shortly.

trailhunter
07-03-2009, 07:04 AM
a 15 year ban isnt going to do much seeing how he's a poacher ..............it being illegal in the first place didnt stop him from shooting the elk , and nothing really will. I say hit them where it hurts, a $50k fine/his truck and his face on a wall of shame in every hunting magazine and every hunting regs. If they plaster his face in the regs every real hunter in BC will reconize the goof and help the CO's keep them outa the bush.

In4TheHunt
07-03-2009, 07:11 AM
I agree with the hunting sentence but am unsettled by the crossing over to the gun ownership side of the issue. For example. If he shoots skeet or target shoots, nothing to do with hunting then how are those related?
As far as anything to do with hunting he got what he deserved.

Blacktail, He is an idiot maybe 15 years will smarten him up, if not pull his hunting licence for life...and throw the book at him...(give him the Full treatment jail, NO guns and all)

cheers

huntcoop
07-03-2009, 09:36 AM
So what does that mean for dickhead/poacher Walker Addison from Nanaimo? His sentance should be WAY worse. Has precident been set?

bigwhiteys
07-03-2009, 09:47 AM
So what does that mean for dickhead/poacher Walker Addison from Nanaimo? His sentance should be WAY worse. Has precident been set?

I was wondering the same thing... I agree with others though, a poacher doesn't really care if they lose their hunting license, this guy never had one to begin with. I think the best way to "punish" them is to put major dents in their wallets ($1000's) and that money should go to directly to conservation, or even better towards the new resident hunter fund being setup through BCWF?

Jail time seems sort of stupid... Because it will just cost US money. However, fining a guy $25K-$50K, along with seizure (and auctioning off) of the equipment used in the "act" would send a pretty clear message.

Carl

boxhitch
07-03-2009, 10:47 AM
IIRC the Minister of _?__ can levy fines for payment to HCTF, after the judge gets through with him ? Something in the Wildlife act about that.
'Creative sentencing' ??

I agree, equipment seizure would be a good hit.

Jelvis
07-03-2009, 12:57 PM
Make it so part of the conditional sentence that the poacher has to be a vegetarian for 15 years too. And no one can sell him meat or give him any or that person would have to be a vegetarian also.
Jel -- no meat of any kind to eat or even tofu for 15 years.

wolverine
07-03-2009, 01:11 PM

Agreed. Telling a poacher he can't hunt for 15 years is like telling someone who chronically drives impaired and while suspended that they can't drive anymore. HELLO!!! Look at the offence! If he gave a shit if he could HUNT or not he wouldn't be POACHING in the first place. It's a joke and not a good one either. Seize and sell all items even remotely involved in the act and prohibit him from ever owning a firearm or bow for life, huge fine with civil forfeiture in place if he defaults on the fine payment. That makes this stuff so distasteful that not only will he not do it again, others will take a serious second thought before they do it.

500grhollowpoint
07-03-2009, 01:52 PM
Pffft...taking away his hunting liscence...that's like taking away my pilot's liscence....

I am not a pilot.........

Ubertuber
07-03-2009, 02:04 PM
Hit 'em where it counts...in his wallet.

SUAFOYT
07-03-2009, 07:18 PM
Well now- I know that some people on this site would have this guy shot before he's drawn and quartered, but we all know that's not on the menu. I've seen countless posts complaining about what a lot of people believe is light sentencing by the courts. This guy has been banned from hunting activities for 15 years- I think that's a unique sentence. Call him a poacher or whatever- it's still 15 years. Does the fact that he's a poacher and may continue mean that he shouldn't get a penalty? I don't think so. Let's take the victories where we can get them.

bsa30-06
07-03-2009, 07:26 PM
The penalty sounds good but when you break it down, all he really got was some probation and community service.A 15 year ban on hunting, probably doesnt mean much to him considering he shot an animal out of season and without a tag.Poachers are like all other criminals,bank robbers dont care that its illegal,murders dont care that it was illegal,and POACHERS dont care that it was illegal.

triggr31
07-03-2009, 07:27 PM
more of us need to work together to stop poaching we are the eyes of the woods

IPA
07-03-2009, 08:22 PM
Looks like most people read past the park that he cannot posses hunting gear for the same period of time. Hard to poach with out guns or bows or any thing else used to hunt with.

TheDuckinator
07-03-2009, 08:47 PM
I think it should of been a lifetime ban, all equipment seized and auctioned off and a 5 figure fine. Dumbasses like him ruin the sport for the rest of us and gives us a bad name.

bsa30-06
07-03-2009, 09:09 PM
Looks like most people read past the park that he cannot posses hunting gear for the same period of time. Hard to poach with out guns or bows or any thing else used to hunt with.

Your missing the point he didn't give a shit if he had a license/tag or if the animal was in season, i'm sure he doesnt care if he is is or isnt supposed to have hunting equipment.He doesnt care if he is breaking the law, therefore penalties like no hunting for 15 years, or do not posses hunting equipment really arent going to stop him from doing it again.

Downwind
07-03-2009, 09:20 PM
Your missing the point he didn't give a shit if he had a license/tag or if the animal was in season, i'm sure he doesnt care if he is is or isnt supposed to have hunting equipment.He doesnt care if he is breaking the law, therefore penalties like no hunting for 15 years, or do not posses hunting equipment really arent going to stop him from doing it again.

True he doesn't but weapons charges are much more serious (in the minds of most) then poaching is. He gets busted in possession of firearms without a valid licence AND being prohibited to possess or carry he will get jail time. Most of these guys that poach know that they will get a slap on the wrist. This is a step in the right direction. Do I think it should be stiffer? Absolutely but it's better than hearing a guy has to pay a $2000 fine and loses his licence for a year. I think the lifetime ban and $50 000 minimum fine would be a better punishment but, at this time, is unrealistic.

bsa30-06
07-03-2009, 09:32 PM
True he doesn't but weapons charges are much more serious (in the minds of most) then poaching is. He gets busted in possession of firearms without a valid licence AND being prohibited to possess or carry he will get jail time. Most of these guys that poach know that they will get a slap on the wrist. This is a step in the right direction. Do I think it should be stiffer? Absolutely but it's better than hearing a guy has to pay a $2000 fine and loses his licence for a year. I think the lifetime ban and $50 000 minimum fine would be a better punishment but, at this time, is unrealistic.

Agreed.......it is a step in the right direction, but not really much of a deterent.If he is caught again the weapons charges would be stiff penalties ( i would hope),but i just dont think its enough to stop him from doing it again.

Riverjet
07-06-2009, 09:17 PM
Shayne Macrea has more history.

Taken from the compliance and enforcement website from the last quarter of 2008

McCrea, Shayne McBride/Holmes River Wildlife Act 24(7)(c) $5,000 Angle while ineligible to obtain angling licence (2 count); Fine plus 5 year fishing prohibition.

Walker Rook Addison pled guilty to four counts under the Wildlife Act for illegally harvesting three California bighorn mountain sheep and a white-tailed deer. The court ordered him to pay a fine of $400 plus $17,000 in creative sentencing to the Habitat Conservation Trust Foundation. He was additionally ordered not to hunt for a period of five years and to forfeit his hunting equipment that was seized in the investigation. The Conservation Officer Service wishes to acknowledge the instrumental role played by the public in the successful outcome of this investigation.

Check out the site at http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/main/prgs/compliancereport.html#2008

winbuckhunter
07-07-2009, 12:02 AM
IMO... this is a good charge.. if he is a scumbag poacher..

BUT

seeing that it was a 4 point bull, it's not like he wanted it for a trophy.. and he didn't even have a hunting license. i don't know the full story but what if this guy just needed some meat in the freezer for his family.. and if that was the case, i would do the same!! some hard times out there.. if it was time to make that decision.. hydro bill/rent or groceries.. i'd be keeping my family warm and shootin me an elk/deer/moose... WHATEVER i saw first!!

i don't know what i'm trying to say.. but just imagine that situation, if it were you.. what would you do?

Wolfman
07-07-2009, 10:14 AM

I agree. It should be a lifetime prohibition. Poachers are thieves - worse than thieves, actually.

Wolfman

Goodoldboyz
07-20-2009, 10:28 PM
This guy has the dough believe me....fines are nothing to him, a little time behind bars might just give him some time to change his ways......or we can only hope so....

Beer
07-20-2009, 10:52 PM
IMO... this is a good charge.. if he is a scumbag poacher..

BUT

seeing that it was a 4 point bull, it's not like he wanted it for a trophy.. and he didn't even have a hunting license. i don't know the full story but what if this guy just needed some meat in the freezer for his family.. and if that was the case, i would do the same!! some hard times out there.. if it was time to make that decision.. hydro bill/rent or groceries.. i'd be keeping my family warm and shootin me an elk/deer/moose... WHATEVER i saw first!!

i don't know what i'm trying to say.. but just imagine that situation, if it were you.. what would you do?

I agree with you. The way the economy is, I'd rather sustain my family then go on welfare. But this guy seems to have a history and it sounds to me like this guy operates on greed not need so string him up.

pro 111
07-20-2009, 11:02 PM
mabey he had 4 kids and he was broke and they were hungry. there are two sides to every story. If that were not the case then good job to the court system...

Benthos
07-21-2009, 08:05 AM
i think the charge was appropriate for what happened.

for people saying $50K charge, jail time, etc etc. let's be realistic with our system. i read in the paper the court listings for PG, and I don't know how many times i'll see theft, assaults, and worse, and the people get 1 day in jail and probation.

For this guy to get a 15 year ban, no weapons use, etc, i think it fit the crime, and for OUR legal system, i think it was stiff, considering how they treat other crimes in our area.

TPK
07-21-2009, 01:09 PM
Well, keep in mind this is just in BC. He can still LEGALLY go hunt in any other Province. I keep saying it, and I'll say it again, these "hunting bans" need to be for ALL of Canada, not just the Province where the offence took place. If he's not a legit hunter in BC, why would he "suddenly become one" just because he's in another location? At least they gave out a firearms ban (of sorts ..ban from having hunting gear?). Firearms is Federal and would apply across our Great Nation. That would have a little more bite and (hopefully) a substantially bigger sentance/fine if he gets nailed a second time. I don't fully understand the ban for all "hunting gear/firearms". Does that mean he can still go buy handguns (assuming he has an RPAL), or some "bench rifles" (target style), and who decides if it's a hunting or non-hunting firearm? Someone like this with no morals would use any firearm to poach if that's all they had .... why would they care if it's not an adequate or appropriate hunting firearm? ..

Shooter
07-21-2009, 06:50 PM
Well as much as I think he will probably still poach, There is also probably a good chance he was out there during legal times with legal tags in his wallet. With that said I am glad the opportunity for him to legally partake in our sport has been taken away. I agree that there should have been a monetary penalty associated with the sentence. Seizure of any and all equipement would suffice IMO. I really wish we as hunters could start bringing to general publics views that these people are charged as poachers and not hunters. Losing his hunting rights is definately a step in the right direction but to an underinformed general public view it just paints him even more with a *hunter* paint brush.

wolverine
07-21-2009, 07:04 PM
Big deal. As stated in other posts and in this one too, he's a damned poacher. He's not concerned with the legalities. I bet he gets caught again within three years.

wolverine
07-21-2009, 07:09 PM
mabey he had 4 kids and he was broke and they were hungry. there are two sides to every story. If that were not the case then good job to the court system...

C'mon now. If that were the case don't you think his lawyer would have been pleading "necessity" and it would have been all over the new. If not he's got to have the worlds worst lawyer. Furthermore, unless he was poaching with a butter knife he could have sold the rifle and gear if he was that desperate. I doubt this was the first time either. Probably just the first time he got caught.

Bowzone_Mikey
07-21-2009, 07:16 PM
I dunno how they can enforce the Bow aspect ... as Bows do not need to be registered ... Bows are classified as sporting equipment ... not weapons ...according to Canada Customs anyway ....

did he have a an elk tag and popped a 4 point instead of a 6?

I agree that the penaltie fit the crime ...but we are only hearing one side .....

If I were almost destitute .... I would go get me doe or something to keep my family fed ...after I exhausted other avenues of course ie several of my friends are cattle ranchers ...I could be in beef for a a long time if it came to it

Shooter
07-21-2009, 07:24 PM
Destitute is destitute. I would like to think that if he was then at best he would have gotten off as lightly as alot of poachers seem to. Being that he got more than what alot af poachers get leads me to believe that the legal system really didn't see him as a destitute sort of guy.

born2hunt
07-21-2009, 07:25 PM
Wow great! thats more than Walker R Addison got for shooting the sheep. Has anyone heard what he got for his latest charges btw?

mpotzold
07-21-2009, 09:20 PM
IMO-15 years of no hunting in B.C. would be way too harsh if this was his first offence. I would then agree with the sentence that was meted out to a Van man in Feb.2009(no hunting for 2 years, rifle forfeited & a decent fine).
http://www2.news.gov.bc.ca/news_releases_2005-2009/2009ENV0010-000242.htm (http://www2.news.gov.bc.ca/news_releases_2005-2009/2009ENV0010-000242.htm)

If caught poaching again then throw the book at him including some serious jail time(up to three years now), vehicle used seizure, & possibly fine him to a tune of $500,000(Remember the maximum fine for a conviction under the B.C. Wildlife Act is now $500,000, up from the previous $150,000 maximum).
Nothing official was mentioned about his past hunting convictions if any.

Another case-
This guy in B.C. got a 25 years (basically lifetime) hunting ban-maximum ever I think.
There were 29 Convictions that lead to the Licensing Action
An incorrigible poacher who regularly flaunted the Wildlife Act
He appealed the 25 years hunting prohibition but lost the appeal
Interesting link
http://www.eab.gov.bc.ca/wildlife/2005wil008a.pdf (http://www.eab.gov.bc.ca/wildlife/2005wil008a.pdf)

Goodoldboyz
07-27-2009, 09:02 PM
will he still be able to hunt in another province?

kgs
07-27-2009, 09:23 PM
should have done some time and given a large fine and a life time ban on hunting and ownership of any type of weapon. I wonder if this was his first offense my thinking is this is the first time he got caught so he should get the max. he is the type of person who makes all hunters look bad to the non hunting public..Just my opinion.