PDA

View Full Version : de-scenting clothes advice

betteroffishing
07-02-2009, 09:40 PM
instructions on bottle of scent a way laundry det. says to use 1 oz detergent per load in top loading machine , a question ??? should i rinse the drum of the machine out really well with bleach then do an empty wash cycle before i try to de- scent my gear ??? should i fill a drum with hot water and handwash my gear ?? am i overthinking this whole thing ?? what experiences have you had with this stuff??

kennyj
07-02-2009, 09:50 PM
Stay up-wind.
kenny

bowhunterbruce
07-02-2009, 10:16 PM
i have always run 3 complete cycles of the washing machine with nothing in it but hot water before i run my scent away stuff through it.from all i have read up on, animals can see brightners that are added to ALL laundry detergents.which make your camo gear look like a flashlight to a critter.bleach has amonia in it which smells like s _ _ _ so i wouldnt advise on useing it.
once your done washing it dont put your cloths into the dryer unless you or your wife has never used those scented anti static cloths.just hang them to dry ,once im done drying everything i intend to hunt with i place them into a plastic bag with a few pine and cedar bows then store until i am ready to go hunting.then always try your best to stay downwind.

BlacktailStalker
07-02-2009, 10:23 PM
Stay up-wind.
kenny

C'mon now kenny surely thats not how you get close to those blacktails :lol:

300wsm
07-02-2009, 10:44 PM
there is a natural product out there that is cheap with no scent and no chlorides.
pink solution...you can find it at most hardware stores. and always hang dry...always!

300wsm

todbartell
07-02-2009, 11:02 PM
Im not Martha Stewart, but Id assume the rinse cycle from the previous load would rinse just about any of the prior loads detergent from the washing machine. If you're that paranoid, wash your hunting clothes twice in the non scent non UV wash

gamehunter6o
07-03-2009, 02:12 AM
Stay up-wind.
kenny

Best advice on thread so far. Saves a lot of washing.
Who honestly believes deer can't smell you down wind if you wash?:roll::roll:

Spokerider
07-03-2009, 05:55 AM
Hang them on the clothesline, weeks.......to months, wearing on the am of the hunt [ hope it hasn't rained, lol ].

betteroffishing
07-03-2009, 07:01 AM
thanks for the advice , im not so worried about the smel , ill have pepperoni farts all day anyways lol, more trying to eliminate the uv brighteners. 2 empty cycles to flush the system then ill wash with my special detergent then hang to dry , thanks again.

Night Hawk 3
07-03-2009, 10:04 AM
bleach has amonia in it which smells like s _ _ _ so i wouldnt advise on useing it.

Bleach (Sodium hypochlorite solution) does not contain Ammonia, and those two chemicals should never, ever be mixed together.

I have been thinking about the UV brighteners these days as well, and I think just a regular bar of Sunlight would do fine, but I would have to find out if it's still just a soap, or if detergents and additives are now contained in the ingredients.

brotherjack
07-03-2009, 12:56 PM
I wash the clothes with baking soda, and then hang them on the clothesline out in the trees behind my house. Once hung, I douse them again with baking soda, and leave overnight. Works so well I've had whitetails come up and sniff me from point blank range to see what I am, and still not spook off even after they sniffed me.

bowhunterbruce
07-03-2009, 01:14 PM
[quote=Night Hawk 3;476548]Bleach (Sodium hypochlorite solution) does not contain Ammonia,

my mistake,but it still smells like s _ _ _

spreerider
07-03-2009, 09:40 PM
bleach smells like chlorine, but it shouldent last as the chlorine smell is it dissapating about as fast as the cloths dry... some bleach has sents added to it.

One thing i have used is borax soap, it is a great natural sentless cleaner, also get a bar of non sented soap (if you can find it) and add some shavings of the soap to the laundry instead of detergent.
Thats what my grandpa used to do, but they did all their laundry in it as there was no detergent but they made their own soap from the cows milk.

martyonthewater
07-03-2009, 10:15 PM
you can wash your clothes all you want Dave, with what's comin out your a$$ nothing is coming near you anyway.

Buckman
07-04-2009, 07:02 AM
Once I have my camo washed and dried on the line, I walk out back with a large garbage bag and pick up branches pibe cones weeds flowers grasses and you name it and stuff it in the bag and throw in the camo for a month or so, comes out smelling like the bush.

gamehunter6o
07-04-2009, 12:59 PM
Once I have my camo washed and dried on the line, I walk out back with a large garbage bag and pick up branches pibe cones weeds flowers grasses and you name it and stuff it in the bag and throw in the camo for a month or so, comes out smelling like the bush.

If your not joking, I think you need help.

proguide66
07-04-2009, 07:12 PM
Stay up-wind.
kenny
We have a BINGO !

Hey fellas , my busy time of yr for me , not on here much..but have to add to this thread!!

'Scent lock ' , 'scent cover' is HUGE buisiness..especially in the states..but its just $..thats it!.....no matter what ANYONE says you will NEVER cover your scent from anything in the wild...EVER.....add fox piss , animals smell fox piss , your breath and your sweat , ect wash your clothes in the washing machine , add de-scent stuff...they will smell your dirty underwear smell from the last batch of laundry + scent killing products+ old detergent..GUARRANTEED......until someone comes up with a product that 'DISOLVES HUMAN SCENT PARTICLES' you are wasting your $.....baited feilds , sitting in stands , scent cover up = no one learning HOW to hunt anymore......watch the wind CONSTANTLY , learn what time the thermal winds change in your hunting area , wich way they go while you are sneaking 'in' ...wich way they go when they warm up...wich way YOU should go / sit to use it to your advantage..where your prey lays down , what time they leave , return , wich route..what they do on sunny days , rainny days..ect...the game you are after use it 24-7..and obviously works for them.

save your $.......learn to hunt!!:-P;)

ps....watched a show yrs back , showed bio's doing tests on game and fish with scents.They accurately proved that your scent trail lasts for 4 hrs minimum where ever you walk in the forest!

betteroffishing
07-04-2009, 07:33 PM
sorry to upset you so much pro guide. just looking for some of the non - preaching type of advice . and while learning to use the wind and apropriate routes in and out of a hunting area will never be viewed as bad advice , it never hurts to try something new and to hold an open mind to the possibility , no matter how remote , that something you are not doing that thousands of others are , might be a good idea to try.

gamehunter6o
07-04-2009, 07:46 PM
We have a BINGO !

save your $.......learn to hunt!!:-P;)

ps....watched a show yrs back , showed bio's doing tests on game and fish with scents.They accurately proved that your scent trail lasts for 4 hrs minimum where ever you walk in the forest!

Don't tell them all the secrets to hunting, Proguide, you'll do yourself out of a job.:lol:

proguide66
07-04-2009, 08:58 PM
sorry to upset you so much pro guide. just looking for some of the non - preaching type of advice . and while learning to use the wind and apropriate routes in and out of a hunting area will never be viewed as bad advice , it never hurts to try something new and to hold an open mind to the possibility , no matter how remote , that something you are not doing that thousands of others are , might be a good idea to try.
oh geez , ..sorry to sound "upset"..not the case...but the topic comes my way constantly due to what I 'do' for a living. Sadly more often than not I am hearing from 'new hunters' ( or hunters who's lives dont give them much time to acquire knowledge about hunting) that are being miss- lead while looking to gain knowledge to help them nail their game . Being miss lead means $$$ in most cases....everything from gimicks to expensive gear that shoots arrows over 300 ft pr second or custom guns that weigh next to nothing , camo clothing that costs rediculous $ or boots that cost even MORE $....I almost feel bad for the new hunters of today that get caught up in the peeing contest of new hunting gear and 'must have's' when in all reality you DONT need most of it...

Trust me....if you follow the few sentences I wrote , you will become an elite KILLER !!..lol...throw the gimmicks and save your $ for the butcher bill!! ( er maybe more for the fuel)

good luck!

BlacktailStalker
07-04-2009, 10:08 PM
Like I always say, let me put on a pair of scent blocker or whatever brand/type you wish along those lines, stick your nose by my ass and tell me you can't smell my fart and I'll buy them for you :lol:
Just imagine what game can smell with 10x the senses ;)

betteroffishing
07-05-2009, 10:25 AM
does the " science " of eliminating uv brighteners also lack applicable benefit to the hunter ???

Night Hawk 3
07-05-2009, 10:57 AM
There's little question in my mind that the whole scent control industry is bathed in hog wash.

My German Shepherd was trained to follow human scent when she was a pup, and I can tell you that the whole science of tracking and scent is quite something. Even in the early stages of her training she could follow a human (or game, for that matter) scent trail in an open field 4 or 5 hours after it was laid.

Top tracking dogs can track scent trails that are more than 24 hours old when the conditions are right (moisture present, vegetation present). It also does not matter how many times another person or animal has cross-tracked the main track (though it will certainly slow down the rate of tracking while the dog sorts it all out - more so on an older track) to whether or not the dog will find the "victim" or toy/treat that has been left.

There is something to be said about not smelling strongly (pepperoni farts would be considered smelling strongly), and a clean/neutral odour is going to work in your favour - so do away with the perfumed laundry detergents and bleaches and go with regular washing soda or plain soap.

I have also found that at certain times, while early season deer hunting, scent is not as important as movement or things being out of place along their regularly traveled route.

As for UV and brighteners in fabrics, that is one that I am taking quite seriously and I am re-thinking the clothes that I have been wearing and the detergents I use to wash my clothes in. I don't want to look like a big glowing blue orb while hiding in the tall grass. Being seen by deer has been much more of a challenge for me than being scented by deer - especially in my (minimal) bow hunting experience for white tails.

NH3

BlacktailStalker
07-05-2009, 02:08 PM
I think the UV factor is for sure an important one.
I dont know much about it though.

triggr31
07-05-2009, 02:33 PM
i have used this stuff lots i run a cycle with just the scent remover i now use the primos silver stuff it works great i repetitively get in super close to all my game

betteroffishing
07-05-2009, 02:55 PM
Im not Martha Stewart, but Id assume the rinse cycle from the previous load would rinse just about any of the prior loads detergent from the washing machine. If you're that paranoid, wash your hunting clothes twice in the non scent non UV wash

sure your not martha in diguise , im sure . good idea on the wash twice thing though , cant hurt , can it