PDA

View Full Version : Spot, Satellite Messenger

GAME TIME
07-02-2009, 06:36 PM
I was wondering has anybody used, or know someone that has used the Spot satellite messenger. Thinking of getting one but, sounds to good to be true. Any info would be helpfull.

Rock Doctor
07-02-2009, 06:46 PM
I have one, and know quite a few other guys in the Gas Ind around here that have them. Seem to work fine, I use mine quite a bit. It's interesting, as well, to look at the locations you have been on Google Earth, once you get home. I'm out of cell range more often than not, and the family appreciates the OK messages I send to them.

Steeleco
07-02-2009, 06:48 PM
Have a read hear, http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=26137&highlight=field+tester If you dig a little in the old posts you should find lots of useful info.

srupp
07-02-2009, 07:21 PM
I am a "pro staff rep for SPOT....:mrgreen:

any questions???or send a PM they so far have worked awesome

Steven

BCbillies
07-02-2009, 07:38 PM
From what I've read and heard they seem like money well spent and saves the weight and cost of bringing a sat phone. I am borrowing a friends for our two week sheep hunt and will program in "it's all good, please send in the Beaver tomorrow". Allows us to head out ahead of schedule should we cut our tags early. :grin:

Will look at purchasing one once the second generation units come out!

islandarcher
07-02-2009, 09:15 PM
I would like the luxury of waiting for generation two to come out, but the wife is getting antsy with my plans of chasing mountian goats. I would love to see the technology built into a gps, or the ability to text a unique message each time. Be handy if you only needed a jerry can of gas, or extra help packing out a moose. Be nice to tell the person what sort of help you need. I was looking at them before we left Victoria, now it is pretty much a necessity. Have to give my sweetheart a little piece of mind given all the new territory I will be running over.

bigwhiteys
07-02-2009, 09:17 PM
I'm onto my 2nd yearly subscription with SPOT, I think it's money well spent and it's never failed to work for me.

In fact a few weeks ago my son hit the 911 button, while we were driving down the highway. (back seat I couldn't see him) and my cell phone rang, it was the SPOT emergency operator, letting me know "Carl" had activated the 911 feature and they were going to send help.

I had to shut that down in a hurry, because I was in my truck they couldn't get a satellite fix on me.

It works!

Carl

kennyj
07-02-2009, 09:54 PM
I used one last year an an extended solo backpack hunt.I worked like a million bucks and made the trip my most enjoyable yet.I knew my family wasn't worrying.
kenny

Mr. Dean
07-02-2009, 10:22 PM
Good money spent IMO.

300wsm
07-02-2009, 10:49 PM
i have had one for two years now...money very well spent. that being said i would like the ability to send more than two pre written messages. i programmed one for send me a tow truck and the other is all is well will check in later. my wife likes it and that means less stress for me when i am out of range and she is not worrying.

300wsm

pmj
07-03-2009, 07:29 PM
I have been "testing" mine for a month. I wasn't planning on getting one yet but found them on sale in May at London Drugs. It works well. The draw back is only 2 programmed messages. My wife sure likes getting my ok message on her cell phone.
I do not have the tracking subscription. I only get my position on Google maps not google earth when the message comes to our computer.
How do I get it to show on google earth?
Do I need the tracking subscription?

srupp
07-03-2009, 10:51 PM
hmmm send me a PH # and I will call

steven

Spot PRO STAFF REP

Slee
07-04-2009, 06:30 PM
How do I get it to show on google earth?
Do I need the tracking subscription?

I have the same problem with mine.......

kennyj
07-04-2009, 06:54 PM
I don't have a tracking subscription and I can view on google earth.
I just copy and paste the coordinates from the E-mail to G E.
kenny

Mr. Dean
07-05-2009, 11:49 PM
I have the same problem with mine.......

Nothing wrong.... just aint opening the "earth-view" feature from the email. Look for a button on top of the map (or is it the bottom????)

The Hermit
07-06-2009, 01:14 AM
Franko just got one and spent a week off fishing i the back-country. I received OKAY messages daily. Clicking on the link opened google maps and pinpointed his last location. Seems like a good set up where you are walking but if you are riding a quad or driving around it wouldn't do too much good if you got lost fifty miles from your last okay... but then I guess the distress call might go out!

Lone Ranger
07-06-2009, 01:45 PM
I've had mine a couple of years as well, faithfully rides with me in the 4x4 and on the quad when I have it out. I don't have the tracking feature but I did opt for the $7 insurance add-on, figured it couldn't hurt too much.

Thankfully I've never had to use it but it does get the 'OK' messages out fine, and I've never had to replace the batteries yet. Shayne who owns MobileHitch in Vancouver has had one in a jar of water for the last couple of years, and the only reason it stopped working was because the batteries finally died a while ago. He wants to open it up and replace the batteries but the water's starting to look pretty rancid so he hasn't had the stomach to crack that sucker open :mrgreen: It blinked for about 1.5 - 2 years before it finally drained the batteries, submerged in a large jar of water the entire time! They are tough! LR

6 K
07-06-2009, 10:55 PM
Love the idea, but I am in the " add a few more features and then I will purchace" camp.
So far what I have seen has worked great.

500grhollowpoint
07-06-2009, 11:32 PM
Yup have one. We should set up some sort of "Help" group. You know, if you hit the help it goes to everyone on the list. I wouldn't mind going out to help out another site member who was stuck.... If I was stuck, like my wife could come get me in the van....

troutseeker
07-13-2009, 01:50 PM
Check out London Drugs, I was there Saturday and they had special, free Spot with two years activation and tracking.

Clint_S
07-13-2009, 03:12 PM
Had some problems with mine but they were "operator error" :oops:
I wasn't patient enough and was shutting it down before the entire process was completed (about 15 min.). Works fine now that I give it enough time.

I taped some hard plastic over my 911 button to keep from triggering a false call. There should have had some sort of cover over that button from the factory.

Duk Dog
12-27-2010, 11:08 AM
Any more feedback on these things? I got one for Christmas this year. (my wife was stuck for gift ideas, so thanks for helping out with this one Rackmastr) I think it will be a good thing to have since I don't own a sat phone and spend a fair chunk of time in the mountains.

Sitkaspruce
12-27-2010, 06:52 PM
Best peice of mind for my wife I have ever had. I take it hunting, off the west coast fishing and the wife used it while in Florida.

Great devise to have, as you never know.

Cheers

SS

RJ
12-27-2010, 07:20 PM
I second what SS said. GPS only tells you where you are, doesn't tell anyone else where you are. Great piece of mind with your 50km from cell service. I update fairly regularly as that gives a starting point for searchers should you not be heard from for a while.

12-27-2010, 07:27 PM
I have the first generation unit and I must say the GPS receiver on it is rather weak, I don't know if they have fixed this issue on the new unit.
But it's worth getting one if you spend a lot of time in the bush.

stoneguide
12-27-2010, 07:30 PM
I love mine. Ive been running one for 3 falls now and havent had any issues or missed messages and the locations are accurate. Ive used it all over BC, Alberta and Sask. as well as part of the Yukon.
My wife gives me no grief when I head out alone as with the tracking feature she has an updated location every 10mins. My 2 boys like it to as they can look at it anytime im traveling and see where abouts i am.

Im am different to some as I dont think that they should have more features. I feel that the more you add to them the more that could possible go wrong. Keep them simple and reliable. If you want to comunicate then get a communication device. A personal locator should be left at just that!

A S.P.O.T is a must for anyone out in the back country or out alone.
SG

ElectricDyck
12-27-2010, 08:44 PM
I use my spot on all trips, it keeps my wife from worrying.

Anybody know what map datum Spot uses?
I dropped it on a trail while it was tracking and tryed finding it using the transmitted coordinates but the map datum was different than my gps. Found it eventually by retracing my steps, but having the map datum would have been handy.

BlacktailStalker
12-27-2010, 10:06 PM
I use mine a lot.
I was thinking of pushing help today as I waded through snow up to my nuts.
A chopper lift woulda made life easy :cool:

Not once has a message not gone through. The Mrs is glad I have it and some of my old timer buddys enjoy "coming along" on my hunts.

srupp
12-28-2010, 04:35 AM
hmmmm as a Canadian Rep for SPOT I have only had 2 persons contact me in 2 years regarding "issues" BOTH with generation 1 units, both were looked into and found to be operator errors... as with the gen 1 my gen 2 unit works flawlessly..

cheers
Steven