PDA

View Full Version : open immature moose in kootenays

palmer
07-01-2009, 06:05 PM
So do any of you know forsure...............I hear lots of rumors but nothing concrete and no dates...

budismyhorse
07-01-2009, 06:19 PM
There are several people I know.....who are in-the-know......that know......it is a deal for 2009 fall season.

unfortunately, they haven't made a formal annoucement, my guess is you'll read it in the new regs first....

sorry, just more rumours I guess.

Stone Sheep Steve
07-01-2009, 09:28 PM
There are several people I know.....who are in-the-know......that know......it is a deal for 2009 fall season.

unfortunately, they haven't made a formal annoucement, my guess is you'll read it in the new regs first....

sorry, just more rumours I guess.

As with Bud.....I heard the same. Very reliable source who said "Yes":smile:.

SSS

Ride
07-01-2009, 10:14 PM
I hear the exact same things from a very reliable source as well.

Monashee
07-01-2009, 10:41 PM
Hiya Palmer - Have you seen any wolf sign in the West Kootenay in the last year ? I 've heard 2 and 3 hand info that there have been a few sighting makes sense as moose numbers have slowly increased for the past 20 years .

palmer
07-01-2009, 11:32 PM
Hiya Palmer - Have you seen any wolf sign in the West Kootenay in the last year ? I 've heard 2 and 3 hand info that there have been a few sighting makes sense as moose numbers have slowly increased for the past 20 years .

PLENTY of wolves on the Blueberry Paulson and the north end of the Granby and the Burrell....No season in Region 8

hunter1947
07-02-2009, 06:33 AM
If a season for immature do open up in the area I hunt I will have to by another tag just in case I see one :wink: ,the regs aren't to far away from the stores ,will see when I pick them up.

bigben
07-02-2009, 08:03 AM
delete this message thanxs

honda1
07-02-2009, 09:12 AM
mmmmmmmmmmmmoose

steepNdeep
07-02-2009, 09:55 AM

Wolves are definitely moving in more and more in the last few years...
- I had a stand-off with one @ 60 yards while out spring bear hunting with my bow in the valley
- Chased one in the ungulate wintering grounds while cat hunting
- Father-in-law (ex-mountain guide) has seen them on the Blueberry-Paulson summit
- Many stories from guys seeing them all over the area
- Last year the first response to my bugle in my (ex)favourite spot was a howling pack of wolves...:mad:

Jelvis
07-02-2009, 11:14 AM
Shiras taste alright -- how far north to get outta the little black and silver Shireeece -- by the Cranbrook and Flatness -- ?
Into the Canadian species of swamp donkey -- in case I get an leh any bull --
Jel -- East Koots near Cranbrook B.C. Canada -- Shiras -- Black and Silvers --

Monashee
07-02-2009, 11:16 AM
[quote=palmer;476043]PLENTY of wolves on the Blueberry Paulson and the north end of the Granby and the Burrell....No season in Region 8[/quote

Thanks . I am not surprised at the re-appearance of wolves , just shows that there are enough ungulates to support them.

I have seen many clear cuts over the last ... 30 years ....from Hwy 33 east to 4-09 and right from the border to Hwy 6. I have seen moose move into these areas and elk spread out too. Deer numbers have fluctuated , mule deer especially went into a decline due to logging which allowed white-tails to compete with them for food and of course roads for hunters to shoot them by way of.

Also have seen the invasive non-native turkeys move northward from the US into the WestKoot-Boundary.

palmer
07-02-2009, 11:40 AM
[quote=palmer;476043]PLENTY of wolves on the Blueberry Paulson and the north end of the Granby and the Burrell....No season in Region 8[/quote

Thanks . I am not surprised at the re-appearance of wolves , just shows that there are enough ungulates to support them.

I have seen many clear cuts over the last ... 30 years ....from Hwy 33 east to 4-09 and right from the border to Hwy 6. I have seen moose move into these areas and elk spread out too. Deer numbers have fluctuated , mule deer especially went into a decline due to logging which allowed white-tails to compete with them for food and of course roads for hunters to shoot them by way of.

Also have seen the invasive non-native turkeys move northward from the US into the WestKoot-Boundary.

Yes Mule deer numbers are still low in 8-15 compared to the old days...The wolf seemed to have followed the moose in to this area. As Moose sightings went up..so did wolf sightings....even whitetails numbers are still down from the eighties except for right in grand forks....behind the no hunting signs

Monashee
07-02-2009, 12:19 PM
[quote=Monashee;476147]

Yes Mule deer numbers are still low in 8-15 compared to the old days...The wolf seemed to have followed the moose in to this area. As Moose sightings went up..so did wolf sightings....even whitetails numbers are still down from the eighties except for right in grand forks....behind the no hunting signs

I see that foolish doe season in 8-15 is still in effect , What is the justification for that - a few more dollars for the General revenue pit ? Buck doe ratio? If there wasn't a doe season more bucks would be born.

Not to mention that the Christian Valley south to Rock Creek and East to Christina Lake is the worst road corridor of death for deer in all of BC and has been for many years.

My older relatives remember the huge deer numbers in that area from the late 1940's - 1960's then a decline due to a number of factors. As a boy I got to see the autumn herds of mulies that are no more. At least there are elk around now and those invasive turkeys .

palmer
07-02-2009, 12:31 PM
[quote=palmer;476152]

I see that foolish doe season in 8-15 is still in effect , What is the justification for that - a few more dollars for the General revenue pit ? Buck doe ratio? If there wasn't a doe season more bucks would be born.

Not to mention that the Christian Valley south to Rock Creek and East to Christina Lake is the worst road corridor of death for deer in all of BC and has been for many years.

My older relatives remember the huge deer numbers in that area from the late 1940's - 1960's then a decline due to a number of factors. As a boy I got to see the autumn herds of mulies that are no more. At least there are elk around now and those invasive turkeys .

I agree its over harvest of the deer and just not giving them a chance to fully rebound. If you look at Elk and Moose they are on very tight harvests and are increasing all over. I remember the herds of the eighties and the quality of the deer, they are just not here anymore.