PDA

View Full Version : Canada Goose

Evolution
07-01-2009, 06:01 PM
Does anyone ever take advantage of the Sept 6th opening for Canada Geese?
Are you allowed to try for them with a bow? Is this even possible? I wouldnt even know where to hunt them in my area, the only place I have ever seen them is in the bird sanctuary. Do they taste any good?

http://www.cwsd.org/images/canadagoose.jpg

BlacktailStalker
07-01-2009, 06:23 PM
Yeah I used to hunt them all the time, have decoys etc.
Usually look for them in famers fields and ask permission.
Learn their patterns.
Here they fly to the fields at high tide, feed and fly back to the estuary. They stand on the sand bars and just when there isnt enough bar left to stand on is when they take flight.
You cant hunt them in the estuary however you can shoot them with a bow where you are allowed to hunt them !
I've always shot the majority of mine when they're flared coming in at 30-40 yards, pretty easy shot with a bow.
That being said we've had them land amongst the decoy at even closer ranges (always hunted land, not water)

You'd just rather hunt them with a bow ?

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f314/BlacktailStalker/Gooseopener2006002.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f314/BlacktailStalker/Gooseopener2006004.jpg

Gope
07-01-2009, 06:52 PM
i hunt them at the estuary, and you need to be there before light and "hopefully" in their flight path so when they take off for the fields you can normally get 2 or 3 per flock. where i hunt there is about 5 or 6 flocks that fly every morning, so if you are not in the right spot with the first flock move fast and get ready for the next ones.

huntwriter
07-01-2009, 07:23 PM
I use to hunt geese with the bow before I moved to Canada. It's great fun and good target practice. You should use the same set up as you would for turkeys. Meaning you should attach a penetration preventing device immediately behind the broadhead, spider legs, washer and such like. This will prevent a pass through shoot. Exbandable broadheads such as NAP Spitfire with a large cutting diameter are preferable. On large birds you want the arrow to stick in them to prevent them form taking flight or risk loosing them otherwise.

The BC bowhunting regulations are not specific to geese. The only mention I could find in the Hunting Synopsis - Page 16 is: Migratory Birds: Archery: Bow D: Bow D (Longbow, Recurve, Compound ) - Must have pull of no less than 18 kg (40 lbs) within the archers draw length....and on.

There is no mention in the synopsis of a specific bowhunting season for waterfowl and migratory birds.

Do geese taste good? Depends how old they are and to a large degree what they feed on. Some people do not like the taste other do. I like the ones up here that feed mostly on Alfafa and clover in the hayfield. The best tasting ones in my opinion are those that have access to corn crop fields.

dutchie
07-01-2009, 07:57 PM
Geese taste very good. I usually use NY steak Spice on them and I also grind them up into Burgers, meatloaf, use it for spagetti, anything you do with Beef, I do with Duck and Goose.

I think my favorite duck or goose dish is slow cooker duck and goose legs, slow cooked for about 6-8 hours in home made honey garlic sauce! Great appy and it is VERY VERY tender!

Dutchie

Evolution
07-01-2009, 09:58 PM
Yeah I used to hunt them all the time, have decoys etc.
Usually look for them in famers fields and ask permission.
Learn their patterns.
Here they fly to the fields at high tide, feed and fly back to the estuary. They stand on the sand bars and just when there isnt enough bar left to stand on is when they take flight.
You cant hunt them in the estuary however you can shoot them with a bow where you are allowed to hunt them !
I've always shot the majority of mine when they're flared coming in at 30-40 yards, pretty easy shot with a bow.
That being said we've had them land amongst the decoy at even closer ranges (always hunted land, not water)

You'd just rather hunt them with a bow ?

Yeah Id like to try with my bow, Ive never hunted any birds other than grouse. All I have is an old single shot 12 ga. BTS if your up to it maybe you can give me a lesson on it this fall. I see the season is only for a week or something, I just thought it might be a nice change from chasing around deer. I see them in the field across from the 17th St. Bridge, where can you hunt/find them around here.

BlacktailStalker
07-01-2009, 10:32 PM
I have permission in that field.
Its the best place there is around here and soon when the new owner buys it (in the works) then the other 20 or other people wont be allowed in there :biggrin:
THe season actually opens and closes 3 times over the course of the fall, right through til feb I believe (been a while since I looked at the geese seasons)
Yeah we could probably get in there and knock some down. Heck I'll try with my compound bow for fun too.

Evolution
09-01-2009, 05:01 AM
Ive been watching the fields around here and there sure is alot of geese. I see them in the estuary on my way to work and then in the field on my way home. I noticed a large flock moving at 8:25 am day before yesterday, is this the time they usually move. I was driving near the Condensory Bridge the other day and probably seen 1000 of them in that one corn field. How do you go about getting permission to hunt them? I think it might be first nations land, so that might answer my question. Im really keen on shooting one with my bow. BTS you still up for trying?

303Brit
09-02-2009, 04:17 PM
Ive been watching the fields around here and there sure is alot of geese. I see them in the estuary on my way to work and then in the field on my way home. I noticed a large flock moving at 8:25 am day before yesterday, is this the time they usually move. I was driving near the Condensory Bridge the other day and probably seen 1000 of them in that one corn field. How do you go about getting permission to hunt them? I think it might be first nations land, so that might answer my question. Im really keen on shooting one with my bow. BTS you still up for trying?

You are in fact correct that is first nations land on both side of the road up to the corner. You could try the band office, I was thinking about going in there. Although once the corn has been taken off the other fields there will be a lot more real estate.