PDA

View Full Version : Winter Harbour fishing ?

BlacktailStalker
06-28-2009, 06:03 PM
Hows it fishing right now ?
Its the one place I've never fished :-(
Ideally looking for halis, where are the "spots" that most everyone knows about, not looking for your secret holes (although I wouldnt turn any away)
I understand you can only get offshore a few hours per day up there as a general rule ?
But supposedly there are spots to hit in protected areas and offshore when it permits ?

I'm looking at my marine charts on mapsource and see lots of structure, pinnacles... definitely some obvious bowls in the flats between the shore and the first shelf, some gravel, mud and lots of sand according to my maps.

I assume to hit the springs and coho a guy runs out to that 5 mile shelf, same as anywhere on the west coast ?

Planning to be there next weekend.
No problem trading info....

Pms are good.

mark
06-28-2009, 09:42 PM
Couldnt tell ya any secret spots cuz I dont know em..... but salmon fishing was amazing in Ucuelet/Bamfield area last weekend. A few guys near us got halis, but not us, lots of doggy sharks though!

RJ
06-28-2009, 09:44 PM
Fished there a few years ago. If I remember right there are a few closed areas on the way out, so you have to be careful not to fish inside the lighthouse. Most of the fishing was a few miles off shore, chasing balls of herring and we limited out every day.

Johnnybear
06-28-2009, 10:12 PM
PM sent. Try talking to Sitkaspruce:D.

open-sights
06-29-2009, 12:52 PM
I fish Quatsino Sound and outside quite often, have a look at salmon University website, they have a decent map for Quat sound. will give some pretty good starting points for the area. http://www.salmonuniversity.com/vin_quatsino_sound.html
I am not affiliated but have found cool stuff on this site.

JRG94
06-29-2009, 01:20 PM
topknot point is good for salmon when the weather is good

Sitkaspruce
06-29-2009, 09:38 PM
Andy

Just fished there yesterday. Tons of 4-6 lbs coho and a few springs around. Weather was pretty ugly yesterday, so we only fished Cliff Pt. There is so much crap in the water that you could only fish a rod for 10 min max before you had to bring it up and clean the line and downrigger. We ended up with two coho and a small spring, released 4 more, lost 5 more (all but one to kelp patches on the surface:shock::mad::mad:) and had another 6-8 good hits. The bonus is right now you can keep two coho, wild or hatchery. It was too snotty to run off shore and look for halis and ling.

I will PM you about when you are coming up and I will give you a couple good areas to try and some suggestions on luck lures;):lol:.

Will be back out there this Friday and if Hardy sucks, then Sat and Sunday as well.

Also Top Knot has a RCA around it so you better know where you are by your GPS.

Cheers

SS

open-sights
07-08-2009, 09:56 AM
Fished the Outside mostly 4th through the 6th, Coho so thick you could walk on them, tough beating down through them to try for springs. Lippy, Topknot and Cliff all the same. Managed small Springs at Cliff and a few beauties way out. Guide boats were not as thick as most years, the whole trip was a little too rough for my boat to try for Hali's, next trip.