PDA

View Full Version : Bass Fishing is picking up.

Tambo*
06-26-2009, 09:55 PM
For those who need something to do while waiting for bow season, Bass is starting to produce a couple of fish an evening.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/msnfish.JPG

PGK
06-26-2009, 10:25 PM
Big smallie! I assume that's an island fish. I've been working on removing the illegally introduced northern ones and have gained a healthy respect for their ability to survive and reproduce! They just keep coming!

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg126/Tako870/2009S-BASS05.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg126/Tako870/2009S-BASS06.jpg

scallywag
06-26-2009, 10:28 PM
tambo what lake is that??

scallywag
06-26-2009, 10:28 PM
PGK guess what hers is bigger hahahaha

PGK
06-26-2009, 10:46 PM
PGK guess what hers is bigger hahahaha

No doubt! I gillnetted one today that was bigger, but they don't count ;)

Tambo*
06-26-2009, 11:09 PM
PGK. They are one tough fish. I was shocked at the fight they have in them lately. Water has cleared after the cold rain we had here.

Scallywag. I'll PM you. You are located close. (Dad would kill me if I posted it). :-D

kennyj
06-27-2009, 07:17 AM
Thats an awesome bass Tambo.They are a riot to fish for hey?
kenny

huntwriter
06-27-2009, 09:09 AM
Bass fishing is getting better here in BC all the time. For a bass fisher like myself that is good news.

Nice SMB by the way.

Bow Walker
06-27-2009, 09:24 AM
Love playing with them on ultra-light tackle. They're fighting fools! Try them on Fly fishing gear.

sfire436
06-27-2009, 09:34 AM
Just got back from Vaseux lake last week. TONS of fun. My favorite thing about them by far is they are made for catch and release. The hooks come out very easy and you dont tear up their mouths as in trout.

358win
06-27-2009, 05:27 PM
Tambo's fish was one of the scrappiest fish I've yet seen for its size. 3 good drag pulling runs.

Bow Walker.
I agree with the fly fishing technique. I tied a deer hair fly to resemble a mouse and quick striped it beside some lily pads. I caught 3 Bass up to 3 lbs.
Good for the heart rate.

338 whisper
06-27-2009, 06:50 PM
nice smally always wanted to catch one we only get the big bucket mouth ones. ie. large mouth bass. nice pics way to go.

Tambo*
06-27-2009, 07:06 PM
338 whisper..... If you can get to Duck lake just north of Creston, there is some great Small mouth fishing.

BCrams
06-27-2009, 07:41 PM
Bass fishing is getting better here in BC all the time. For a bass fisher like myself that is good news.

Nice SMB by the way.

If I could, I'd wish away bass from BC waters.

kootenayelkslayer
06-27-2009, 07:51 PM
338 whisper..... If you can get to Duck lake just north of Creston, there is some great Small mouth fishing.

Is there smallmouth in Duck lake, or just largemouth? I've only ever caught largemouth there.

PGK
06-27-2009, 07:53 PM

Amen. But we're stuck with them now. Shitty form of job security I guess :|

Brew
06-27-2009, 11:22 PM
what seems to work for bass this time of year. I went today and tried everything but no luck. water may be to cold yet. I've only ever cought smallies. Are largemouth any differant in there feeding habits.

scallywag
06-28-2009, 01:06 AM
Just got back from Vaseux lake last week. TONS of fun. My favorite thing about them by far is they are made for catch and release. The hooks come out very easy and you dont tear up their mouths as in trout.

Oh vaseux the little things i miss from living in penticton ... are guys still using bows for carp on that lake???

HuntNHookSports
06-28-2009, 07:52 AM

Same with those pesky brown trout.

Tambo*
06-28-2009, 08:03 AM
Is there smallmouth in Duck lake, or just largemouth? I've only ever caught largemouth there.

Yes I meant Largemouth. They would be a riot to catch on light tackle. I hear there are some real good ones in there.

Tikka270wsm
07-02-2009, 07:47 AM
A friend of mine caught a smallmouth out of Spectacle Lake last week. This is the first one that I've heard of in that lake. Disturbing news, terrible for a trout population especially in a small lake.
I enjoy catching them but hopefully the people that are illegally dumping smallies, yellow perch and pumpkinseed sunfish into our BC lakes are caught and thrown in the slammer. What happens when the Smallmouth get into a lake that is connected to a river that has an annual salmon run?
Our native species of salmon have it hard enough already.

GoatGuy
07-02-2009, 07:54 AM
Big smallie! I assume that's an island fish. I've been working on removing the illegally introduced northern ones and have gained a healthy respect for their ability to survive and reproduce! They just keep coming!

Chucking gear? tsk tsk

bigwhiteys
07-02-2009, 08:20 AM
What happens when the Smallmouth get into a lake that is connected to a river that has an annual salmon run? Our native species of salmon have it hard enough already.

This is happening already... Spider Lake on V.I. connects to the little qualicum river through a series of tributaries/marshes/swamps. While I haven't seen any bass in the river yet, I have watched the fry in the tributaries.

Carl

THE SWEDE
07-02-2009, 08:23 AM
They scrap pretty good for their size.But there is no place for them in BC.Bring out the Rotenone

PGK
07-02-2009, 03:37 PM
Chucking gear? tsk tsk

Catchability on flyrod - ~25%
Catchability on spinrod - ~60%

You want em dead or spooky?

Tikka270short, that happened. There are bass in the Quesnel River and tribs.

GoatGuy
07-02-2009, 06:12 PM
Catchability on flyrod - ~25%
Catchability on spinrod - ~60%

You want em dead or spooky?

Tikka270short, that happened. There are bass in the Quesnel River and tribs.

25%? You one of them guys who's busy showing everybody how good you can cast instead of fishing?:mrgreen:

HuntNHookSports
07-02-2009, 07:39 PM
Elk Lake, Prospect Lake, and St Mary's Lake all have healthy populations of bass AND trout. The Columbia River has bass, trout and salmon.

Cormorants, mergansers, herring, eagles, otters, brown trout and humans are just as hard on the native trout as bass.

I am against introducing bass to new water but catching bass to throw them in the rose bush.... Would it not be the same as shooting a white tail deer in BC and leaving it to rot?

huntwriter
07-02-2009, 09:52 PM
I am against introducing bass to new water but catching bass to throw them in the rose bush.... Would it not be the same as shooting a white tail deer in BC and leaving it to rot?

Dam right you are.
Besides, their is no prove that bass have a negative impact on local spices if they are kept in check. In many American waters and here in Canada small/large mouth bass live together with trout, salmon and other fish species with no adverse affect to the later. Bass prefer warmer and shallow water with lots of cover whereas trout prefer colder and deeper water and so are salmon if given a choice.

PGK
07-03-2009, 05:11 PM
Dam right you are.
Besides, their is no prove that bass have a negative impact on local spices if they are kept in check. In many American waters and here in Canada small/large mouth bass live together with trout, salmon and other fish species with no adverse affect to the later. Bass prefer warmer and shallow water with lots of cover whereas trout prefer colder and deeper water and so are salmon if given a choice.

So when I catch large smallmouth bass and large rainbow trout three feet apart in a gillnet, who was in the wrong place?

Leave the commentary to the experts Othmar, you know jack squat about fish, and even less about the effects of invasives on this province!

huntwriter
07-03-2009, 09:05 PM
So when I catch large smallmouth bass and large rainbow trout three feet apart in a gillnet, who was in the wrong place?

Leave the commentary to the experts Othmar, you know jack squat about fish, and even less about the effects of invasives on this province!

There are plenty of research papers on the subject find it and read it. I may not be an "expert" on fish but I do know plenty enough to separate hype from fact. :wink:

Wild one
07-04-2009, 09:20 AM
This is just a question but why is it O.K. to have rainbows stocked in non native waters were they are hurting cutts that are native?I have caught trout that do not belong in the lake or river I am fishing and most people have no problem with that because they are trout. I do not think people should be moving bass or any other fish from one place to another but I find it odd how one game fish is o.k. to show up in a lake doing damage to the native stock and another is not.

Tikka270wsm
07-04-2009, 10:17 AM
This is happening already... Spider Lake on V.I. connects to the little qualicum river through a series of tributaries/marshes/swamps. While I haven't seen any bass in the river yet, I have watched the fry in the tributaries.

Carl

Disturbing news. I guess its just a matter of time that we'll be seeing the negative impact that bass have on trout and salmon.
I've caught three pound bass out of Shawnigan Lake that spit out eight inch long rainbows while being reeled in. Anyone that thinks bass don't effect native species is in denial.