PDA

View Full Version : Kwatna 2009

srupp
06-26-2009, 09:27 PM
Well Dave has done a masterful job on his account of Kwatna 2009...we saw so much beautiful once in a life for them..lol but what I have seen for 30 years..:biggrin: the beauty will never be forgotton from white sided dolphins..to world class grizzlies and goats..

The tidal flats were alive with sea otters, black bears, grizzlies..sows cubs and BIG BOARS..it sorta reminded me of the game "whack a mole" you just never knew what would stick its head up from the long tidal grasses.....even a dozen eagles taking turns feeding on the carcass of Robs bear...

This hunt is a logistical nightmare requiring more than month to get sorted out....and a TON of supplies literally..as well as knowing what to do and when...

I have kept the words short and decided to go with some of my photos..NOT taken with a good camera unfortunatly...

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100360001.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100410001-1.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100400001.jpg

although not Daves #1 choice I still feel for the NORMAL grizzly hunting these jet boats are unbeatable..a electric outboard would have helped

srupp
06-26-2009, 09:34 PM
you can see some of the gear needed to make camp on shore !!!:roll: as well as the 26 foot camp boat AND the jet boat WHEW!!!!

The food was great elk steaks, moose, German dinner sausage, Italian spicey breakfast sausage..oh ya Daves favorites..Fred Flintstone sandwiches!!!

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100370001.jpg

srupp
06-26-2009, 09:36 PM
when it RAINED man it POURED and EVERYBODY and EVERYTHING got wet wet wet there IS a reason its called the WET COAST..

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100420001.jpg

srupp
06-26-2009, 09:39 PM
here are some photos of the beautiful scenery...

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100500001.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100430001.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100390001.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100380001.jpg

some of these show the edges of Graveyard Island..made famous by Clayton Macks..'Sasquatches of Graveyard Island..

This one shows the very tree that my twin brother and I tied our boat up to some 25 years ago..

also one shows the general area Tim got his bear..

srupp
06-26-2009, 09:44 PM
and one of the side results is a very beautiful grizzly for Rob...

Dave showed real sportsmanship and passed on many a bear most would have pulled the pin on....he not only showed courage but class and sportsmanship and a true trophy hunter

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100320001_1.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100310001.jpg

I enjoyed the trip and watching Dave and Rob swim the river track down the bears, get muddy, dirty and alll the while with a shit eating grin going fom ear to ear..

I was there for the fishing and to make some suggestions to help them make it home in one piece...which Dave did when he and I went sheep hunting the year before..

words can never describe this trip..maybe the photos will start to..????

Steven

06-26-2009, 09:52 PM
Brings back memories of lovely floating logging camps and horse flys that would carry you away
looks like a good trip for you guys though

srupp
06-26-2009, 10:04 PM
some of the bears we were able to get VERY CLOSE TO..say 70 yards or less...but didnt meet the high standards Dave set but fun and great to get close to..

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100820001.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100780001.jpg

steven

Steeleco
06-26-2009, 10:06 PM
Great story Steven, I'm so full of envy, but will have to admire the pictures and dream!!!!

Ambush
06-26-2009, 11:21 PM
UUMMH. I can smell that kind of dead crab odor from the tidal flats. Awesome!
Great photos! Could you get me within 35 yards without getting both of us killed?? :eek:

srupp
06-27-2009, 01:24 AM
Ambush..probably one of the "few " places this could be done...and YES safetly..:shock:

Interestingly I met a gentleman who had a different 'coastal draw LEH for Grizzlies..just south of here and he was in @ the same time as Rob and Dave...I listened to his account of his 12 day trip/hunt and "how" he and his hunting partner went about trying to find a bear..well they saw NO bears at all and I KNOW there are just as many bears there as in K bay..he just plain didnt know HOW to hunt grizzlies at all..Dave had bought a book on the grizzlies of THAT area and every night he read a chapter from the book..I laughed because Clayton and I had discussed that area a few times..

There is one area IN LAND that getting withing 35 yards is possible...but not many know where that is or how to do it ...I had coffee this AM with someone that knows that area pretty damn well also..lol

Again getting w/i 35 yards IS very doable..my first thought a SLIVER SLINGER..???

Yes the smell of salt air and coastal crabs also comes to mind from viewing these photos..

I just wish I hadnt screwed up Daves video of the kill shot on Robs bear..I was back a 100 yards from those two..camera on a tripod ROCK STEADY..AND perfectly focussed and zoomed right in..heard the shot and seen the water fly off the bears hide..the bears recoil from the bullet and EVEN the blood fly out the offside..:eek: from the exit hole...just didnt know Daves camera well enough:oops:..another regret is I didnt take the Nikon d-200 digital camera with 300 lens...would have mad ethe pictures so MUCH better..these photos were done with a pocket digital..Olympus Stylus 500..only because its small and waterproof..but hopefully it gets the beauty and solitude accross...

Steven

riflebuilder
06-27-2009, 06:02 AM
great pics and story looks like you guys had a great time. Congrats

sparkes3
06-27-2009, 09:24 AM
i wanna go

Bow Walker
06-27-2009, 09:27 AM
Those are great pics! Thanks for posting them.

bushguy
06-27-2009, 09:58 AM
really awesome,thanks for showing,but i was wondering what that blue color was in the sky?

Gateholio
06-27-2009, 10:05 AM
Great pics. It looks like you camped where the old logging shop was?

Your pics remind me of when my dumbass buddy Rob got an LEH. Such a beautiful place, but a shame it's such a bitch to get there...on the other hand,if it was easy to get there, maybe it wouldn't be so beautiful.:smile:

srupp
06-27-2009, 10:55 AM
Bushguy..the first couple of days were Ok then it POURED and then it hit mid 30's during the day..we literally had to sit in the creek..

Gate yes this must bring back some fond memories for you...:smile:

yes its a bitch a DANGEROUS bitch to get in there..we actually set up the "shore camp" with the black tarp almost on the beach where the log dump used to be..ocean side of the tin barn..the old bridge is still 'there"..
and the 26 foot boat was around the corner on the left anchored in 70 feet of water..(made Rob sleep better..that and the FIVE gravol every nite...:shock:)

Over the years I have been EVERYWHERE up and down the valley and river..apple orchards..airport " Jesusville" the weather station..clay cliffs, Oakbeck..etc etc etc

Unfortunatley due to Daves New Zealand trip we just were not in the "prime time for coastal BIG BOARS" BUT I commend Dave for STILL giving it a go...and not wasting the two tags....everything but halibut worked out exellent....even the sow bear charge was exciting:shock:..

that probably was my last trip into that area ever...

cheers

Steven

ps Gate why no post on your grizzly adventure???

SR

BCbillies
06-27-2009, 11:03 AM

I says "PARDON"! :-?

Gateholio
06-27-2009, 11:35 AM

Famous last words...:smile:

ps Gate why no post on your grizzly adventure???

:razz::oops::smile:

kennyj
06-27-2009, 04:06 PM
Great story and photos srupp.Looks like you guys had an awesome adventure.Thanks for sharing.
kenny

The Dawg
06-27-2009, 04:27 PM
Awesome photos Steven...I would love to get into an area like that one day....

Bushman
06-27-2009, 07:45 PM
Steven:

Looks like you and your friends had a fabulous hunt and made memories that will last you all a lifetime.
Certainly nice to finally see the areas Clayton Mack loved, lived and hunted in.
See any signs of Boqs?

srupp
06-27-2009, 10:24 PM
Its not what I seen that still has me scratching my head..its what I HEARD..:shock: and YES FROM GRAVEYARD ISLAND that I STILL find puzzling......

steven

pupper
06-27-2009, 11:12 PM
Looks like you had a great time....I would like to do something like that one day.

srupp
06-28-2009, 02:42 PM
these coastal hunts are demanding inb the equipment-boats and logistics..and a understanding of coastal bear behavior and ESPECIALLY TIMING..but with a couple of experienced hunters should be doable..

steven

mountainman
06-28-2009, 06:41 PM
Beauty pictures Steven. Looking forward to the pictures from the next trip in there :eek:;-)

Blainer
06-28-2009, 07:05 PM
This is the type of story and pictures that keep me checking this site.
Thanks for sharing.
Hope you manage to get back there again.

srupp
06-28-2009, 08:54 PM
Mountainman...my NEXT adventure is in a few days..a salmon fishing trip to Terrace for a week..:eek: that will have the BIGGEST salmon, the MOST salmon..the BEST salmon..lol...

Blainer..thank you...a lot of planning, knowlege and know how..went into a trip like this and NOT just by myself...chicken from Burns Lake for halibut..reels from California for halibut..lots of cooking and preperation by Susan...etc etc etc..and just experience..

Hopefully my health improves:cry: ....

I just hope "some" of what was done for this is noticed by Rob and Dave...it was made to look "pretty easy " but that is just experience from years of practice...

Grizzly hunting is ONE question and ONE question ONLY..

IT is not WHERE

It is not WHEN

IT IS....WHY...

If EVERYTHING YOU DO WITH GRIZZLIES YOU ASK THE QUESTION "WHY"

you will then learn the answers to WHEN and WHERE..

IF you know the answer to WHEN and WHERE..you WILL get your grizzlies..

Steven

thatskindafunny
06-28-2009, 09:02 PM
I saw you there. I was in a red boat setting crab traps one night. If not you another party. Did you get a pic of our boat? kindafunny I think.

358win
06-28-2009, 09:14 PM
Its not what I seen that still has me scratching my head..its what I HEARD..:shock: and YES FROM GRAVEYARD ISLAND that I STILL find puzzling......

steven

Another story?

Hear hear ....bring it on..

srupp
06-29-2009, 01:39 AM
lmao..ya thatskindafunny...yes I saw you in the red boat..was it the SOOKE..setting crab pots...so how did YOU all do with crabs..we certainly got our fill and then some...

358...the one day we were sitting on the edge of the tidal flat waiting for the low tide....= better bear watching... when I heard a 'moan" from Graveyard Island...a LOUD moan..an UNMISTAKABLE moan...and one that sounded like a HUMAN moan..:shock:...and a few moments later as if to emphasize that I wasnt halucinating I heard it again...:eek:..

I never mentioned it to Rob nor David hoping they would mention it to me but they never did...either they also heard it and were too afraid to admit it (HOWEVER DAVID IS AFRAID OF NOTHING ) or they didnt hear it..

The sound raised the hair on the back of my neck and caused me to break out in a sweat...and not even the charge of the 8 foot 600 pound momma grizzly brought out a simmilar reaction...:shock:

It was SPOOKY and chilling.....

cheers

Steven

hunter1947
06-29-2009, 05:25 AM
Very nice pic of your hunting trip as for the one of the griz that says it all.

Its trips like this that we all dream about and if we get something it is a bonus and if you don't pull the trigger on an animal it really don't matter that much.

Your pic of this area are as good as they get ,the laundry on the line is http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif.
Congrats on filling your tag as for a very nice story http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

proguide66
06-29-2009, 07:16 AM
lmao..ya thatskindafunny...yes I saw you in the red boat..was it the SOOKE..setting crab pots...so how did YOU all do with crabs..we certainly got our fill and then some...

358...the one day we were sitting on the edge of the tidal flat waiting for the low tide....= better bear watching... when I heard a 'moan" from Graveyard Island...a LOUD moan..an UNMISTAKABLE moan...and one that sounded like a HUMAN moan..:shock:...and a few moments later as if to emphasize that I wasnt halucinating I heard it again...:eek:..

I never mentioned it to Rob nor David hoping they would mention it to me but they never did...either they also heard it and were too afraid to admit it (HOWEVER DAVID IS AFRAID OF NOTHING ) or they didnt hear it..

The sound raised the hair on the back of my neck and caused me to break out in a sweat...and not even the charge of the 8 foot 600 pound momma grizzly brought out a simmilar reaction...:shock:

It was SPOOKY and chilling.....

cheers

Steven

Your fortunate to have heard it!...dont let your reaction bother you , its a very typical reaction , wish I was there.

Mr. Dean
06-29-2009, 08:59 AM
Grizzly hunting is ONE question and ONE question ONLY..

IT is not WHERE

It is not WHEN

IT IS....WHY...

If EVERYTHING YOU DO WITH GRIZZLIES YOU ASK THE QUESTION "WHY"

you will then learn the answers to WHEN and WHERE..

IF you know the answer to WHEN and WHERE..you WILL get your grizzlies..

Steven

I look at all my hunting in this light. Fishing too... Good words Steven AND a kick-azz account of what surely was a spectacular trip!

thatskindafunny
06-29-2009, 09:27 AM
CCGC Sooke Post it was. Lots of soft shells this time of year but we did get a feed.:razz:

srupp
06-29-2009, 10:32 AM
pretty interesting when the SOOKE came in and then was using binoculars to look at us "individuals" on the shore.lol...nice boat...

steven

Rock Doctor
06-29-2009, 11:35 AM
Looks like a great time,
Would like to give it a go sometime, if I ever have the time:smile:

Great pics.

RD

srupp
06-29-2009, 11:57 AM
lmao @ Rock Doctor.....make the time...OOPS

I will be in Fort Nelson around 26-27-28 ish of July for a overnighter before my trip for stone sheep..maybe do a coffee??

The finale decision exactly WHICH day I arrive has not been decided..

If you DO decide to do a bear hunt give me a call so we can "chat"..

cheers

Steven

Rock Doctor
06-29-2009, 12:40 PM
Srupp, we really need to work on our timing:sad:
I will be out at my cabin with the family on our anual fishing trip/ Summer Vacation, from July 5 till Aug 5. If you can pin down a date to be in FN, I will try to make a "Grocery" run to town :smile:.
Would be great to hook up for a coffee sometime. Every time I'm by your place, you're away. Every time you come by here, I'm away. I'm starting to think it might be easier to just bump into you in the woods sometime:shock:. lol.

Try to let me know, but keep in mind that I will not be able to get messages after the 5th. I will be teaching the kids to sail, fishing for monster Pike/Walleye, Scuba Diving, Scouting for Moose, Working on the new Cabin, Kicking back on the sandy beach,.............you get the idea:tongue:.

Take care
RD

srupp
06-29-2009, 03:45 PM
hmmm Ive seen your videos its probably your young sweet ace jet boat DAUGHTER going on any grocery runs..just cant see anyone tearing the wheel fom her hands..:shock:

You have your priorities in order well done...

I will be back 10-15th of August..maybe I could show you my first STONE SHEEP...:eek: I will have him by then right now hes still out there growing bigger:smile:

Just got off the treadmill...thats tough sh$@@%^% for a old fart like me..

but I want to keep my partner in sight well as long as he's on the same MOUNTAIN..lol

cheers

Steven

Elkhound
06-29-2009, 06:51 PM
Steven....no retiring yet buddy. You need to take Mr.Dean and I in there sometime:biggrin:

Steeleco
06-29-2009, 07:14 PM
OH yeah Dave, when do you ever have the time to hunt anymore?? I'll go in your place!!! K??

BiG Boar
06-30-2009, 09:41 AM
I am eagerly awaiting another animal to hunt. No meat left in the freezer hardly.

srupp
06-30-2009, 09:59 AM
The offer for free meat cutting tutorial and sausage making still stands...we have extra moose if ya want..
cheer

did you get my recent e-mail??

cheers

Steven

Bow Walker
06-30-2009, 05:41 PM
I am eagerly awaiting another animal to hunt. No meat left in the freezer hardly.

8) There's always archery for bunnies and/or squirrels. :wink:

Num, num! I'm BBQ'ing a 3 - 3.5 lb bunny this weekend, along with some venison loins.

Springer
06-30-2009, 07:09 PM
I Gotta vouch for Elmers meat cutting tutorials. We have done Caribou,Whitetail and Moose. He even trimmed the fat off the ribcage in one big piece so i could feed the birds with it. The large bones go to friends dog's...Nothing wasted.
Now that I have sharp knives :roll: It seems to go quicker. I hope to add more to trhe meat cutting collection through the years because theres no way i will pay the prices the abatoir charges when you can do it with friends and share beer and pizza at the same time. The grinder is a must have for sure. Had some of Steves Pepperoni last week,quite impressed.
Now since Steve is retiring in a couple years and has the best of the best processing equipment ya'all should book your meat cutting days ahead of time since he will have so much more play time.

TheDuckinator
07-01-2009, 10:53 AM
That would of been a hunt of a lifetime, Grats on the bear

BiG Boar
07-02-2009, 07:57 AM
Grizzly Trip 2009.
After such great a great write up by both my brother (Bigbore14) and the notorious SRUPP, I figured I better submit my thoughts on my 1st and probably last Grizzly Bear hunt.
First a quick thanks to my Bro, for taking me along, if it was not for his generosity I would have never been able to afford to have gone. As well as convincing me to apply for the tag….never would have thought the LEH gods would be working in our favour…..WE BOTH GOT TAGS !!
I would like to make it known, that Dave showed some of the most amazing patience, maturity, and confidence (sometimes over confident), he has evolved into a very smart hunter. Dave is was made evident to me that your hunting experience has really boosted your confidence in the field, experience is king, with every hunt you go on, you can only get better. Africa is your next big trip to follow your fly in moose hunt….all the best.
Now a thanks for Mr. Rupp, Your knowledge of the area, as well as your experience with G Bears proved it's self countless times. As we know without you we would not have gone….if you ask Dave he would say otherwise. There was always a sense of security while hunting with you, thanks to your Winchester Defender, and the fact that in our group of 3 you were the slowest runner!, Thanks Steve for all your hard work in getting this trip together. There was close to 20 days or prep, the food worked out amazing, we still had ice after - 12 days.
(A word to the wise never attempt to shoot a Winchester defender at a 20" wide log at 19 yards on your first day….it will totally destroy any confidence or feeling of security that you had, should the shooter A) Miss or B) the Shell Miss fires C) the Gun Jams……all of which happened to us on the night before we left. Sure am glad we waited to find that out !!! :)
Over all the trip was amazing. We that are blessed to live in BC, have access to some of the most amazing hunting in the world (In my opinion). The Kwatna Valley is amazing, highly remote, but if you can get it together, its well worth the effort. I have never been to area that seemed to be crawling with wildlife, I guess that goes without saying the harder it is to get into, the more animals that are left. As brother Rupp described it "wack a mole". These bears seemingly pop out of no where. This country has some of the most beautiful landscapes, pristine drinking water, and abundant wildlife, it could compete for one of the most desirable hunting locations in the world.
I filled my tag on Day 3, shooting a .338 win mag, approx 150 yard shot ( x 2), with my brother by my side. Apart from getting stuck in the quick sand like tidal mud flat's the stalk went off with out hitch, everything was perfect no wind, low tide, a dead tree for cover, spotting the bear prior to him seeing us. A perfect hide, and in my opinion great color ! The bear is everything I could have wanted. Not the biggest bear @ 7 feet but its all I need, and I am very happy with this trophy, thanks Guy's !

I will recall a few of the funny moments.
1)
In a area that see's probably less than a dozen people per year, the bears have developed a sense that allows them to hear a jet boat coming from ….say 15 miles away ! Especially when your jet boat that has an engine that sounds like a F-16 taking off at idle. After 2 trips up the Kwatna we decided to keep our fighter jet as far away as possible, and the engine rpm to 0 as much as possible. Having shot my bear on day 3 the rest of the trip, was spent trying to find Dave one. As mentioned in the previous write up by Bigbore14 and SRUPP, a trolling motor would have been ideal. Several times I wound up sitting on the bow of a 16' jet boat (that weighed approx 2000lbs loaded with 3 of us and gear), sitting with my feet in the water, straddling the river anchor, and trying my best to paddle close to 700 yards with a forward speed that would register on the GPS, with these 2 jokers behind me with a cattle prod, whispering directions, on speed, tidal flow, wind, with much snickering under their breath…I swear I heard those *******s were laughing but every time I offered them the paddle….it stopped…..Funny …how that works :) anyways we made it, and got within 70 yards of Grizzly, truly beautiful animals.
2)
Due to extreme tides in the area, we found our boat stuck on the rocks approx 10 feet from the water...a few times, which was a blessing. It forced us to spot and stalk, before we understood the benefits, of avoiding the F-16.
3)
Mr. Rupp met old Mr. Weiser near the end of the trip, 3 Drinks and he was done…let me re-phrase this he was D…..O…..N…..E. I almost called an ambulance, but then I realized he was the ambulance !!….he was hurting in the morning……..and I quote " O Dave……I have not felt this rough since I was 16 !"
4) THE SHAMBOOZIE (inside Joke)
5) You can always get it cheaper at Dad's Shop. ( inside joke)

Thanks to Dave and Steve for a memorable trip. Trip of a life time for me. I am sure I will never get an opportunity to be a part of a hunt like this again.
As I learned from my brother, there is more to a hunt like this than taking a trophy bear. Its about spending some time the way life was meant to be lived. Getting back to nature, spending time with friends and family, and making lifetime memories.
Thanks to all who commented,
Rob

srupp
07-02-2009, 08:24 AM
WOW! Rob showed up..lol guess the gravol wore off..:mrgreen:

Now guys remember Rob is a DISPATCHER he uses words every day he says what he means and means what he says..

He is being brutal on my many mistakes..lol those are the "inside jokes he refers to..

Rob is a great guy...luckiest SOB to get kwatna on first attempt..and to be blessed with a brother like David..and I truly enjoyed meeting Rob and spending time with him.... a deep thinker..with a truly WICKED sense of humour..

On the second last day we "blew off some ammo " seeing what the .416 with 400 grain TSX would do..and also the .338..well when it came to my shotgun it missfired 3 x...then it worked..seems like when I cleaned it after the encounter with MOMMA and her thugs for sons I didnt do a very good job of putting it back together..:redface:..yes ROB I also am glad that wasnt the case PRIOR to the grizzly encounter..

yes I am the slowest hunter...you were always safe..lol

I am a very poor drinker and yes I was GONZO....

Thanks Rob..you worked your ass off ,made a great shot , and richly deserve your wonderful bear..welcome to the world of exciting hunting trips...

and you are always welcome around my campfire any time..

cheers

Steven

shanevg
07-02-2009, 11:32 AM
Well I loved reading this story. It looks like you guys had an awesome hunt. Congrats to you Rob on a great looking bear on day 3 of the hunt. I can only dream of having some of the same experiences you have. Sounds like you have an awesome brother and a great friend in srupp. Great pictures to all who took pictures and thanks for posting a detailed story so those of us who will probably never get an opportunity like that (considering it would cost me $16,000 as a non-resident) can at least feel like we're living it!

mountainman
07-02-2009, 12:23 PM
Hmmm everyone complains about the noise lol. Would have offered the kicker too but right in the middle of a carb rebuild.

srupp
07-02-2009, 12:29 PM
Joe..that was my fault..I even had the electric out...Rob was a GREAT paddler..:tongue:..

We had to 'improvise" as its not the same as the earlier hunts in April early May..

Getting ready for Terrace????I reserved a spot at the camp..and the fish are there and getting caught..:shock:..

hmmm we are blessed in BC...

cheers

Steven