PDA

View Full Version : apa bows

Big Lew
06-26-2009, 09:07 PM
Has anybody tried any of the new apa bows? Interested in the viper and the mamba mx2. Have been told that a shop in kelowna sells them, if so, I plan on driving up sometime in july to check them out if they have any left-handed models.

Kirby
06-27-2009, 08:43 AM
Talk to Brambles he has experience with them. Also one of the guys at Boormans archery shoots them.

Kirby

Bowzone_Mikey
06-27-2009, 08:53 AM
I know a couple guys that shoot APA ... and are happy with em

My friend Trev, just gave up his Hoyt obsession to go with APA.

I have shot a couple models and Like them much ... and They are a CDN company to boot

Bow Walker
06-27-2009, 09:10 AM
Has anybody tried any of the new apa bows? Interested in the viper and the mamba mx2. Have been told that a shop in kelowna sells them, if so, I plan on driving up sometime in july to check them out if they have any left-handed models.
:idea:If you're driving up to Kelowna you may want to phone ahead just to make sure that they have a Lefty in stock. If not, you can buy straight from APA, off their website...Order by Phone: 1.866.353.7378

Good luck.

06-28-2009, 10:03 PM
I have an APA Viper - really happy with it. It's smooth, quiet and accurate. You can't go wrong with APA

triggr31
03-02-2010, 10:38 PM
I've shot the king cobra it's a nice smooth and fast bow

willyqbc
03-05-2010, 09:47 AM
I have a buddy who was interested in the APA's, mostly he wanted a speed upgrade. His assessment was that he hated them, his specific critiques were that he thought they were quite top heavy, he felt the draw cycle was very harsh, he did not find them smooth at all at the shot, overall he said the bow felt "clunky" (his words). This gentleman is a 4 time Canadian champion so he knows a thing or 2 about what he likes in a bow!
I personally tried one of their slower bows and while I agreed with him on the top heavy feel and the stiff draw cycle, I found the slower APA to be acceptably smooth at the shot. Overall i would have given the bow a 6 out of 10, hmmmm....maybe bump it up to a 7 for being Canadian made.:-D With all that being said i would be very curious to see how well their fastest bows group, I know when I had an x-force going 345fps the only way to get a decent group was to go to a very stiff, very heavy arrow which knocked the speed back to 315fps, many others i talked to found the same thing. I think there comes a point where the draw cycle gets so harsh it turns even stiff arrows into a wet noodle, i'd be worried that would be the case on the fastest of the APA bows as well.

As always, just my opinion
Chris

Bow Walker
03-05-2010, 10:02 AM
Welcome to the "harsh" world of Speed Bows. There has to be a few qualities sacrificed for the all consuming need for speed.

Noise, unforgiving brace height, harsh ergonomics, aggressive, hard cams, vibration, etc. It's all in want you are willing to put up with to feed that speed demon.

I'm very happy with my 255fps hunting speed and my 305fps target speed. You see, I'm willing to put up with slower speed to get comfort. That's what happens when you go past 60.

willyqbc
03-05-2010, 12:21 PM
Yes, I once chased the speed demon myself but have come to realize through many years and many bows that the speed almost always comes at the price of accuracy. However, acceptable level of accuracy is also different for every shooter. for some, a dessert plat is fine at 20 yds, for others a coffee cup size group is perfectly fine for their purposes, for me I want to see under 2" group at twenty. I finally found that accuracy in a pretty speedy bow with my Elite GT500, I get 325fps and can average about 296 on an indoor FITA round with it, so approx 26 out of 30 shots are inside a 1 1/2" group, the other 4 probably no more than 2"... not quite the accuracy level of my indoor bow but pretty darn close considering it is going about a 100fps faster!!
I would highly reccomend to anyone looking at new bows not to go chasing the speed unless a larger group size is acceptable to you...low brace heights and harsh draw cycles are murder on accuracy!

Just my opinion
Chris

Big Lew
03-05-2010, 11:52 PM
I finally had a chance to try an apa mamba mx2 through a cousin's friend. I have shot a pse axe 6 now as well. For me, the pse axe 6 was the easier bow to shoot, and to shoot accurately considering the short time I could spend time with them. I will concede that a shop pro set the pse up for me to shoot, whereas the apa was set up for it's owner.
The apa did feel a bit cumbersome and stiff compared to the pse, although I might have been looking for that after reading some posts before trying it. Considering that there is a very good pse shop quite close to me, it's the bow I probably will purchase.....thanks for all your comments.

riflebuilder
03-06-2010, 06:14 AM
I have th APA Viper LH and it is a great Bow. No complaints here

xtremearchery
03-09-2010, 01:33 PM
Thata Boy!