PDA

View Full Version : Where to close the season

Wayne
12-01-2005, 02:39 PM
Hi. I am new to this forum and a relatively new hunter. Haven't had any luck this year and was wondering if anyone could help me by directing me to an area where there is still chance for me to cancel my tag. I am planning to go this weekend somewhere around Cache Creek.

I did some research on the Internet and found altogether 3 hunting forums in BC - this one, huntshoot.com and hunterscanada.com. In all of them I could find some info about Cache Creek area and most folks seem to agree that the area is good, but somebody at hunterscanada.com was talking about the deer migrating this time of the year, so I'm not sure if there will be any deer in December around Cache creek. Has anyone been there this late? Also do you know if there any whities there, or just mulies?

steel_ram
12-01-2005, 03:54 PM
A little further you could hunt Clinton. "the mound" road just North and East of town is a good late season bet.

West from there heading towards Jesmond you might hunt a few of the trails heading up the Marble range or heading down to the Fraser. Just watch for Private property. etc.

I know the Clearwater area can be a good late show as well if you hit it right.

BlacktailStalker
12-01-2005, 03:59 PM
Tons of deer winter in Cache creek, you wont have a problem.

Broncomarco
12-01-2005, 05:46 PM
Wayne, you may want to check out the Hihium lake area. I hunt there alot. Both my dad and I missed really nice 4 point mullies earlier in the season. Hunt the roads to the south east of the lake. There was fresh logging in some areas. Saw them hanging around there. The lower roads any 4x4 can make it through but some of the higher roads were pretty rutted up. There could be lots of snow since it is a high lake and cool even in the summer. Good Luck.:smile:

Wayne
12-05-2005, 06:23 PM
Well, we went for 3 days North of Cache Creek and took hwy 99 to Lillooet, then took the first FSR on the right. It was cold - minus 10, minus 16, had 6-10 inches of finest snow powder. Tracks were EVERYWHERE, but we could not see anything at all. There were other hunters there, they had no luck spotting a damn thing either. A local fella, who lived right there, showed up and said the snow was about a weak old and he had not seen a deer in 4 days. He also said that area is 80% white tail and 20 % mule, which is strange, because we only saw mulie tracks...

It was an awesome scouting trip. I fould fresh droppings and a bedding area with at least 10 spots, but neither I or anybody else saw any living creature in 3 days. How would you old timers comment on that. Did the deer migrate somewhere else or they just disappear in the snow? And also can I trust the local fella about 80% white tail in this area?

mark
12-05-2005, 06:32 PM
im no old timer, but i know the area yer talking about always used to hunt there in early dec. once i took a 4 point closing day on the power lines. was the only deer we saw and tracks were everywhwere. never even heard of whitetail there let alone see one. ive been noticing deer activity has slowed down a bit (especially bucks) seein and jumping most from beds lately. but its always hit and miss maybe you guys just had a miss trip :-|

Schmaus
12-05-2005, 08:48 PM
My best guess as to the whereabouts of the deer is they were probaly laying low during the day in the thickest stuff they could find from all the hunting pressure in the last few months and they were only becoming really active at night.

Schmaus

Stump
12-05-2005, 10:40 PM
H!mmm Oct. longweekend my son and I past through on the loon lake road at 12 pm and we seen (100) deer in the 2 alphalfa fields. We couldn"t believe our eyes, just like little rabbits running all over the place! For sure there"s alot of deer in that area. I"ve hunted all over that country for the last 40 years. the deer migrate in late Nov. They cut across to Scotty creek area and then down to hills ending up at the Fraser.

Farmer
12-06-2005, 04:24 PM
I have no idea about the ratio of whitetails to mulies in the area, but I would like to know how you can tell the difference between whitetail tracks and Mule deer tracks? Especially in 6-10 inches of fine powder snow. Just curious as the only time I can tell them apart is when the deer is standing in them.
Gord

sparkymacker
12-06-2005, 05:40 PM
I think we are going to go over towards Merritt on Saturday to close out the year. Not sure exactly where yet, I am open to suggestions if anybody has some.