PDA

View Full Version : teslin lake

bighorn
06-22-2009, 08:35 PM
xxxxxxxxxxx

yukon john
06-22-2009, 08:59 PM
Know a guy who went there in 06 he got skunked. I know a guy who guided there and he did late season hunts off the lake, said they got some good bulls. If the lake is to busy or your not seeing anything you could always skip over to Atlin and take the boat down suprise lake

houndogger
06-22-2009, 10:01 PM
Was there in '99. Three guys with three moose down in short order. One made the book. Seen a dozen other bulls. Don't be afraid to get off the lake a hike alittle. Lots of little lakes not far off Teslin. Been wanting to go back ever since! Have fun and bring back a story with pics:razz:

06-22-2009, 10:26 PM
I've been there a couple of times. If your boat is not too big/heavy you can launch at Dawson's Peak campground. Don't forget your fishing rods - there are lots of Lake Trout in the 6-10lb range and you don't need a downrigger to catch them. Lastly, you should read "Descent into Madness" before you go. It will make the trip better.

olharley guy
06-22-2009, 10:46 PM
Howdy, been in the area a few times myself, I found mid September to 1st week and a half in October to be the best movement time for the bulls.

If all else fails spend a couple dollars and fly out of Teslin to Gladys Lake which is just over the hill from Teslin-not a long flight.

Should have a choice of 4 or 5 in the area. Later

riflebuilder
06-23-2009, 04:12 AM
fished Teslin Lake back a few years ago it was great. Was up there in June so I wasn't looking for Moose. Good Luck you should do okay.

jml11
06-23-2009, 08:29 AM
Howdy, been in the area a few times myself, I found mid September to 1st week and a half in October to be the best movement time for the bulls.

The hunting regs (map F39 page 71) show a rut closure from Sept 25 to Oct 10 for part of the southern section of the lake. Not sure why only one portion would be closed at that time when the majority of the lake is still open?

Stone Sheep Steve
06-23-2009, 09:50 AM
The hunting regs (map F39 page 71) show a rut closure from Sept 25 to Oct 10 for part of the southern section of the lake. Not sure why only one portion would be closed at that time when the majority of the lake is still open?

I remember reading in the regs when most of those localized rut closures were first implemented......... They said it was due to the concern of local first nations that moose were being over-harvested.

SSS

jml11
06-23-2009, 12:44 PM
I remember reading in the regs when most of those localized rut closures were first implemented. They said it was due to the concern of local first nations that moose were being over-harvested.

SSS

Yeah I heard that too, but at Teslin the rut closure area is limited to a small section of the lake only. I was curious as to why only that area? I couldn't see any roads on Google earth. Maybe it is just an area the moose tend to congregate at that time?

BCrams
06-23-2009, 12:59 PM
I was curious as to why only that area?

Still is or was a place where First Nations base camped to hunt moose.

Quite sheltered compared to the main body and logical place for hunters to go hunt.

jml11
06-23-2009, 01:03 PM
Still is or was a place where First Nations base camped to hunt moose.

Quite sheltered compared to the main body and logical place for hunters to go hunt.

Yeah I figured the "narrows" in that location probably has something to do with it. Maybe a shallow bay and crossings may be common.

boxhitch
06-23-2009, 02:24 PM
......... They said it was due to the concern of local first nations that moose were being over-harvested.

SSSActually, more likely the easy roadside waterfront moose were being killed, making the FN sustenance hunt too difficult. But you know what they say about rumours.........

vortex
06-23-2009, 06:49 PM
I hunted up there in '97 and we got a pretty good bull from calling while on foot. As with any lake thats 60 miles long, be ready for some rough water. There is also some pretty weedy and shallow sections at the south end.
The book that 1899 mentioned (Decent Into Madness) is also kind of interesting read for some local history. That was one wierd dude.

vortex
06-23-2009, 08:56 PM
we are taking a 20ft jet boat and a 28 ft herring punt to pack fuel.we'll be going to the south end and up the teslin river for a ways.we will be out of the rut closure.thinking of bringing a small zodiac,and get dropped off up river.don't know if i want to walk to far off the river,i just might get one.
We were there the last week of September and by the last few days of our hunt, you could not get a jet boat (or anything that floats for that matter) near where the river enters the lake. The sand/mud flat and sticks deposited from the river extended 1/4 mile into the lake. Thats probably why its out of the rut closure area. Maybe this year would be different if there was higher water but it might not hurt to have a backup plan like running up the Jennings or hiking.

srupp
06-24-2009, 12:09 PM
Hunted BOTH the Jennings AND the Teslin...got my BIGGEST bull moose ..body weight there and LOTS of fish lake trout almost silly #s..

Still I would NOT go back as first nations attitudes and actions were certainly unfriendly to us the NON aboriginal hunters and to the lack of ANY rules for them and the #s harvested

But give me a PM and I will give you some insights into the area and some areas to hunt ie "the meat market" were I got my moose...

cheers

Steven

kyleklassen
06-24-2009, 05:25 PM
Yeah I heard that too, but at Teslin the rut closure area is limited to a small section of the lake only. I was curious as to why only that area? I couldn't see any roads on Google earth. Maybe it is just an area the moose tend to congregate at that time? it's where crazy white guys in funny looking cabins congregate to shoot at people.

06-24-2009, 05:37 PM
Actually, more likely the easy roadside waterfront moose were being killed, making the FN sustenance hunt too difficult. But you know what they say about rumours.........

There are no roads anywhere near that area.

Shade Tree
06-24-2009, 08:35 PM
I think he means kinda like road hunting, but just out of a boat.:)

tikkat3
06-25-2009, 06:39 AM
I've been there a couple of times. If your boat is not too big/heavy you can launch at Dawson's Peak campground. Don't forget your fishing rods - there are lots of Lake Trout in the 6-10lb range and you don't need a downrigger to catch them. Lastly, you should read "Descent into Madness" before you go. It will make the trip better.

Thats an awesome book. Nothing like insane hippies the natives are afraid of creeping around the bush

boxhitch
06-26-2009, 10:18 PM
There are no roads anywhere near that area.Lots of roads in the region, with the 400 m closure.

07-01-2009, 08:13 PM
Lots of roads in the region, with the 400 m closure.

Can you point to a single road within 20km of the lake shore on the BC side?

srupp
03-31-2015, 02:34 AM
Hmmmm still one of my most favorite moose hunts cows 30 feet away giving calli g lessons , harvesting a buster.awedome grizzle engounter..
Caught tons of char lake trout big..
Fun fer sure

Steven