PDA

View Full Version : the pine or the peace

stones
06-22-2009, 01:27 PM
We are planning an August moose hunt to the chetwynd area.

We are looking at drifting down either the pine or the peace and end our trip in Taylor.

Does any one of information on either or these river? which would be a better hunt in August?

Any info info or past experience would helpful.

bridger
06-22-2009, 02:54 PM
i would say the pine more open breaks and more crown land. the north side of the peace from hudson hope to fsj is mostly private while the south side at that time of year is really brushy

daycort
06-23-2009, 10:59 PM
if you are looking for a good 4 day flaot trip I would start at Tumbler Ridge and float the Murray River to where it meets the Pine River. I did it in 3 days once and we whee way to rushed. It will have way less traffic then the Peace or the pine. I bet there is over 50 trucks with trailers easily every weekend at the boat launch in Taylor. Most boaters are don't like the Murray as it is a little bit in limbo land.

moosehunter21
06-23-2009, 11:05 PM
No Animals better hunt else where...

hunter1947
06-24-2009, 05:31 AM
I agree with bridger more crown land in the pine region.

GoatGuy
06-24-2009, 08:12 AM
if you are looking for a good 4 day flaot trip I would start at Tumbler Ridge and float the Murray River to where it meets the Pine River. I did it in 3 days once and we whee way to rushed. It will have way less traffic then the Peace or the pine. I bet there is over 50 trucks with trailers easily every weekend at the boat launch in Taylor. Most boaters are don't like the Murray as it is a little bit in limbo land.

best wait for elk season then if a person's gonna do that drift. :wink:

Person may want to check the halfway and the moberly as well. The peace is usually really busy - it'd be my last choice.

Don't forget to tie your equipment to the canoe............................

tinhorse
06-24-2009, 09:06 AM
just drive around the logging and gas roads and shoot a nice easy one on the side of the road.

tuchodi
06-24-2009, 09:12 AM
Starting in Tumbler would be the best but if you dont have time then like Bridger said the Pine would be best. Are you going to have any power or just drift? Send me a private e-mail if yo want more info.

elkdom
06-24-2009, 09:16 AM
and taking care of meat can be big problem!, 3 days on a float trip, in 30+degrees Celsius, which in most years is what the temps are in mid August up here,
something to consider should you harvest a moose early in on your "float",,,

daycort
06-24-2009, 08:37 PM
best wait for elk season then if a person's gonna do that drift. :wink:

Person may want to check the halfway and the moberly as well. The peace is usually really busy - it'd be my last choice.

Don't forget to tie your equipment to the canoe............................

GG you know that the elk are no longer in that area. buy the time september roles around they eating second cut alfalfa on the nearest ranch:biggrin:.

The halfway is the new tuchodi since the gas prices came up. I don't think you could get a canoe down the moberly that late.

And yes tie down your equipment, and if you find a 300 wsm on the murray, its mine!!!

silvertipp
06-24-2009, 09:46 PM
whats the half way like for a Jet boat ,sis there decent elk there

bridger
06-25-2009, 07:05 AM
the halfway is a tough call for a riverboat. the lower end is doable if you are experienced and your boat isn't too big. mostly depends on fall rains to keep the water up. pine is easier for a jet boat. best bet for elk by riverboat is still the muskwa drainage. bulls aren't as big as the kechika turnagin area or the pine-murray but lots of them.

Ron.C
06-25-2009, 08:07 AM
and taking care of meat can be big problem!, 3 days on a float trip, in 30+degrees Celsius, which in most years is what the temps are in mid August up here,
something to consider should you harvest a moose early in on your "float",,,

I've never "drift boat" hunted, but that seems like a very good point to consider for an early season hunt.

GoatGuy
06-25-2009, 08:27 AM
GG you know that the elk are no longer in that area. buy the time september roles around they eating second cut alfalfa on the nearest ranch:biggrin:.

The halfway is the new tuchodi since the gas prices came up. I don't think you could get a canoe down the moberly that late.

And yes tie down your equipment, and if you find a 300 wsm on the murray, its mine!!!

hahahaha.

You can get a canoe down the moberly, trust me.:biggrin: Used to be one big portage in there that a person could get themselves into trouble with. Nice thing is there were no jetboats above it.

There's a .300 wm at the bottom of the prophet along with a bunch of other gear as well.

lunatic
06-25-2009, 01:47 PM
The Murray River would be the best choice if you don't want too much company. The Pine gets very busy during the season. The Murray downriver from Tumbler has lots of game and is not usually busy at all. Most boaters go up-river towards the falls. You would want some experience though...depending on water levels there are a couple of tricky areas through the "painted canyon". More than one life has been lost through there.