PDA

View Full Version : ROULADIN!!! recipie and step by step pics!!

SHACK
06-22-2009, 07:58 AM
Ok, I have been asked by a few people for this recipie, and I dont blame em! When I am on my death bed, and they ask what I want for my last meal.....this is it!

Rouladen is nothing new, a german dish, with many different twists, but this is how my family has made them for generations. Usualy kept for a Chritmas meal, and the like (special occassions), if you batch them, they freeze well, and are some yummy comfort food on short order!

First of all, the ingredients:

1. Rouladen meat: any type will do, but most butchers know what to cut for you (I am using buffalo here)
2. baccon
3. pickles
4. dijon mustard
5. onions
6. salt/pepper
7. maggi (liquid seasoning avaliable at most deli's or safeway)
8. flour
9. olive oil
10. toothpicks

Start with your rouladen meat layed flat on your work surface, spread a nice layer of dijon mustard on them, then lay out your baccon slices 1/4 pickle slices and some sliced onions. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper, with a splash of maggi on each.

They should look like this-
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s304/sachaszymczak/DSC_0230.jpg

Next, roll them up and pick them with as many toothpicks as you will need to hold them through the cooking proccess

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s304/sachaszymczak/DSC_0232.jpg

A little salt and peper in some flour, and you can then bathe them in the flour for browning

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s304/sachaszymczak/DSC_0233.jpg

I like to use a little bit of baccon in my olive oil to help creat some bad ass drippings for the gravy, but brown them up in olive oil until golden brown

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s304/sachaszymczak/DSC_0235.jpg

SHACK
06-22-2009, 08:08 AM
Now that they have been browned off, take them out of the pan and put them in a casserole dish, or slow cooker (Im using a slow cooker here for ease)

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s304/sachaszymczak/DSC_0236.jpg

Now that you have browned off the lot of them, do some magic and create a tasy gravy from the drippings in the pan. I use some red wine, and previously made elk broth so I have a LARGE amount of gravy (enough to almost cover the rouladen in the dish for cooking!)

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s304/sachaszymczak/DSC_0238.jpg

Of course, cover the rouladen with you gravy and let cook for 2-3 hours in the slow cooker, or about 1 1/2 hours covered in the oven at 375 until they are "fork tender"

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s304/sachaszymczak/DSC_0239.jpg

For a side dish I like to go traditional, so I am using pottato dumplings and Redd Cabbage. You can find the dumplings at most deli's, and the red cabbage is avaliable at most stores

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s304/sachaszymczak/DSC_0241.jpg

Warm the red cabbage, and follow the directions on the dumplings (mix with water, wait 10 minutes, form and boil)

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s304/sachaszymczak/DSC_0242.jpg

SHACK
06-22-2009, 08:10 AM
Then before you know it, you will have a belly busting meal of awsome proportions like this

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s304/sachaszymczak/DSC_0243.jpg

ENJOY!!! You wont be dissapointed!!!

Gateholio
06-22-2009, 08:15 AM
Nice !! Well done!:razz:

David Heitsman
06-22-2009, 08:40 AM
I only eat kosher so I wonder if a similar effect can be had with turkey or beef bacon? (For sure there is less drippings from the turkey.)

Why do you cook it so long when the meat is so thin in the first place?

huntergirl270
06-22-2009, 08:45 AM
When we got our side of beef back from the butcher last fall he had cut rouladin for me instead of "with the grain" thin slices for jerky like I had asked. Now I feel the urge to make some! I may cut up a moose roast too and do it all at the same time to freeze.
Thanks for sharing :)

SHACK
06-22-2009, 08:46 AM
You cook for quite a while so the meat will cut with your fork, and seccondly, you generally are using cheaper cuts of meat in the first place, outside rounds, inside rounds etc. these take a while due to the lack of marbling. Its all about getting it tender for me, you can cook it for far less time, but then you will be chewing and cutting with a knife ;)
Im sure that turkey baccon will do, as you said, without all the drippings, but I have never tried it, nor would I. Simply because I think EVERYTHING is better with baccon! :)

whitespringer
06-22-2009, 08:56 AM
That looks like a tasty combo. I will give that a try for sure. Thanks for sharing.:smile:

PGK
06-22-2009, 03:53 PM
You're missing paprika. This recipe needs a lot of paprika. On the meat, after the mustard, which should be dry powdered mustard!! And the flour thing is sinful. North Americans b@stardize everything!!

SHACK
06-22-2009, 06:35 PM
Hey, your barking up the wrong tree PGK, Ich kann spreche sehr gutes Deutsch, und meine Familie ist von Nuremberg. ;)
Everyone has thier own twist on things, this is ours, your welcome to post up your Rouladin recipie, and I will give it a shot as well!

pupper
06-22-2009, 06:39 PM
Thanks Shack, Rouladin is my favorite meal, My Oma makes it for me often. We have it with onions, mushrooms, and bacon inside. I am going to try your recipe out.

6 K
06-22-2009, 07:22 PM
I think my cholesterol went up ten points just looking at the pictures.
WOW! does that look good,:!: You should get a ten day ban for posting that durring sheep training season though.:-P

Ambush
06-22-2009, 07:47 PM
Look's awesome Shack!! Can a person "pound" a steak or cuts from a roast into suitable rouladin?? My wife has always just cooked it in the oven, but browning it first sounds WAY better!

SHACK
06-22-2009, 08:03 PM
Absolutely ambush, this is just how we do it and its totaly up to interpretation, I tenderize my cuts as well, just makes em a little larger and easier to wrap up.

Sorry 6 K, I dont get to go sheep hunting this year....so I am getting ready for winter like a bear! ;)

Pupper, you better give your Oma lots of love, mine passed 25 years ago, and my Opa one year and one day later! I miss her and the wonderfull cooking!

6 K
06-23-2009, 09:10 PM
Sorry 6 K, I dont get to go sheep hunting this year....so I am getting ready for winter like a bear! ;)

Good one!:roll::lol:;-)

Jager
06-23-2009, 09:11 PM
That's very similar to the way my mother showed me. Her trick was to always add some of the pickle juice to the simmering broth to give it a bit more zip. The red cabbage was always a Christmas treat (made from scratch) but the jarred stuff was also used and sometimes it was even "stretched" by adding a head of raw cabbage then cooked down together. My only complaint is that my wife likes it so much that it has become more of a regular meal than the 'special occasion treat' it once was. Dare we tell the sheep hunters about "schpeck kuchen"?....sorry if the spelling is off, I'm 1st gen. CDN und mine deutsch ist nicht sehr gut.

Johnnybear
06-23-2009, 09:21 PM
That's a great recipe Shack. Thanks for sharing and taking the time to post the pic's. My Fathers side of the family is German and we have our traditional recipes as well and like to have them once in a while for treats just like you say. My dad has some German sausage patties that he cooks up every Christmas.

riflebuilder
06-27-2009, 06:10 AM
that looks real good. Definatley ging to have to try it.

huntwriter
07-04-2009, 09:45 AM
Hey, your barking up the wrong tree PGK, Ich kann spreche sehr gutes Deutsch, und meine Familie ist von Nuremberg. ;)
Everyone has thier own twist on things, this is ours, your welcome to post up your Rouladin recipie, and I will give it a shot as well!

Das ist ein sehr gutes Rezept und genauso wie es meine Mutter auch machte. Hat immer prima geschmaeckt. ;)

You're right. The beauty of cooking is that you can alter everything to your taste and liking. There are hundreds of different recipes in Germany, Austria and Switzerland where meat "Rouladen" originated.

budismyhorse
07-06-2009, 09:04 PM
Das ist ein sehr gutes Rezept und genauso wie es meine Mutter auch machte. Hat immer prima geschmaeckt. ;)

You're right. The beauty of cooking is that you can alter everything to your taste and liking. There are hundreds of different recipes in Germany, Austria and Switzerland where meat "Rouladen" originated.

You couldn't resist that typo......;)

I haven't had this since I was a kid....will try this week. Thanks for posting!

SHACK
07-06-2009, 11:45 PM
Huntwriter, Ich habe gedacht, dass Sie deutsch waren!! Sorry my German is somewhat archaic as is my spelling! Its been far to long since anyone in my family has spoken or used German on any sort of regular basis, and I have to put ALOT of thought into typing anything as well....especialy in German, so sorry bout the spelling!

Rouladen it is! All fixed up!

David Heitsman
07-14-2009, 03:51 PM
They sell beef rouladin at the Swiss restaurant at Harrison Hot Springs. I had it last week. It was just OK as I found the meat a little stringy.

Am gonna try this with some game later this summer.

Marko
07-14-2009, 06:26 PM
Ah German Made Rouladin! Thats the way its done! None of this just a pickle thing...My aunt was just talking about those with me this last weekend! (Were all from Germany) Love the Instructions.

stixnstones
07-14-2009, 06:53 PM
i am sending my old lady to come see you to teach her how to cook.lol.nice work

nieves
07-14-2009, 07:22 PM
wow, that looks delicious! lol and ive never even heard of "rouladin"... (sorry.. latin family here :P ) so rouladin is the cut? or the name of the dish? if i just go up to the butcher and ask for some rouladin cuts, he'll know what im talking about?? i definitely want to try this.. although i dont think ive had pickles and meat together in one meal aside from hamburgers :S

huntwriter
07-14-2009, 07:39 PM
You couldn't resist that typo......;)

I haven't had this since I was a kid....will try this week. Thanks for posting!

Since this is a uniquely German, Austrian and Swiss dish I thought I spell it in German. :wink:

huntwriter
07-14-2009, 07:42 PM
Huntwriter, Ich habe gedacht, dass Sie deutsch waren!! Sorry my German is somewhat archaic as is my spelling! Its been far to long since anyone in my family has spoken or used German on any sort of regular basis, and I have to put ALOT of thought into typing anything as well....especialy in German, so sorry bout the spelling!

Rouladen it is! All fixed up!

I am not a German, I am a Swiss from the German speaking part of that country. Or the "proper" Swiss as they say.:smile:

huntwriter
07-14-2009, 07:59 PM
wow, that looks delicious! lol and ive never even heard of "rouladin"... (sorry.. latin family here :P ) so rouladin is the cut? or the name of the dish? if i just go up to the butcher and ask for some rouladin cuts, he'll know what im talking about?? i definitely want to try this.. although i dont think ive had pickles and meat together in one meal aside from hamburgers :S

Rouladen, or Rouladin as the English speaking say, is a dish. The best cut to use for this dish is the inside round of beef. To get it perfect the muscle is slightly frozen just hard enough to make it a bit solid but not hard. The semi frozen meat is then cut very, very thin on the cold cut machine. The slices have to be cut so thin that you almost can see through them. It also has to be cut against the muscle grain. If it is cut to thick or with the muscle grain the meat will become stingy and though. This is very likely what has happened with the experience David Heitsman had at the Swiss restaurant in Harrison Hot Springs.

Unless you explain excatly to the butchers how you want it cut you will not get it done right as meat store butchers have no clue how to do it. Come to think of it many store meat cutters have no clue about other meat cuts and preparation either. Go to a real butcher shop and you maybe get it done right.

nieves
07-14-2009, 08:05 PM
aah ok, cool thanks for the info :D .. ill be trying this in the next couple of days and ill let you know how it comes out :P

nieves
07-15-2009, 10:29 PM
ok well i just made this today and its absolutely delish :D thanks for the recipe and for explaining too :P although my gravy turned out redder than the pics.. (i might've let slip a lot of wine :biggrin: ) thanks again!

huntwriter
07-15-2009, 11:04 PM
P although my gravy turned out redder than the pics.. (i might've let slip a lot of wine :biggrin: ) thanks again!

All that matters is that you liked it and obviously you do.:-)