PDA

View Full Version : Barkley Sound Fishing Report

Gope
06-21-2009, 08:10 PM
Thursday June 18:
Arrive at the dock around 8:30pm, a few boats where coming in from the evening bite. 3 of them caught well, one did not catch a thing. We then traveled to Namint and spent the night there. (eavin though it was windy i have never seen the canal that calm with the sea breeze.)

Friday June 19:
Woke up around 4am and started trolling right away, staying right by the western boundary as far away from the hordes of other boats as possible, we had hooked into roughly 10 sockeye by 9am, we only kept one of these.
by 11:30 we had 8 sockeye on board, and must have released around 20 others at the boat. lost another 20 while fighting them, and probably had over 100 strikes. Flavor of the day: Green flasher, short leader, pink hoochie. after having lost a second fish due to the leader breaking (3 year old line, sence the last openings) we rigged just 2 "red" hooks togeather without a hoochie, within 20min this had one bite and landed one fish. still not as productive as the hoochie so we switched back.

1pm after having limited out on sockeye we made the rest of the trip into barkley sound, stopping in at pill point we hooked 2 choho within a hour. the other boat we where traveling with landed a nice 10pound spring. By this time the wind was blowing consistanly over 50km the waves where good 3 or 4 ft we desided to move to effingham and fish in some protection.

2:30pm once arriving at effingham the wind was twice as bad but not very much sea movement so we fished, and it became apparent there was very little to no fish in the area. we only managed to get one choho. at 4pm we called it a day and headed into the broken group a protected bay.

Saturday June 20:
Heading back to effingham this time with no wind, atleast this time it was safe enough to fish the bluff. we caught one choho and a few small shakers. we also caught 2 "sea bass" and having never caught any big enough to be worth keeping for a fillet, these two where monsters each around 5 or 6pnds both went onto ice to try eating later.

at around 6am we desided to head to rainy bay and catch some bottom fish as the wind was starting to pick up, once there we hooked into 3 medium sized rock fish, a 15pound snapper, and only had one lingcod strike (i lost that one, it bit while i was still lowering my hook caught me off gaurd. you ever try holding a ling back without any drag on the reel?)

8am we made some breakfast and headed back to pill point, by this time the wind was servere. we fished the protected side of pill, while our partner boat ventured quite a ways away to a reef on the effingham he was catching fish so we joined him. picked up a nice sized choho, and managed to put about 6" of water into the back of the boat from the waves crashing though the rear door. 1pm drew neer so we packed up our gear and went to bambfield and stayed the night at the docks.

Sunday june 21:
needing only 3 more fish to fill our limit, we went to kerby. fishing in the swells is fine and all but we where there for the fishing not the fish, so we went to the BACK side of the island, closest to bamfield fishing in around 70ft of water, picked up 4 6-14pound springs and we where limited out by 9am, the other boat we where with limited out at 9:30. and that started the trip back up the canal, there was maby 300boats from namint all then way back to the dock so it was not that packed.

if the fishing stays this hot on the sockeye (apparently they are thinking of making the bag size bigger?) we might be going there again this weekend.

:mrgreen:heres to a good weekend boys, May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it. :mrgreen:

Buck
06-21-2009, 09:16 PM
Nice report .How close to Kirby can you fish these days.?

humble hunter
06-21-2009, 09:27 PM
I was at swale on friday and caught over 30 coho, we had to pull the bait and just fish spoons so we sould release them easier. Only one spring but it was like offshore fishing inshore. The same thing happened at Kirby on Saturday, we had to leave at 10am but we caught at least 20 more coho. In fact I was pulling a coyote with my bait caster on surface, no flasher and caught 6 that way. Alot of fun. My buddy had not been there before and he already wants to go back this weekend. Unreal!!!

Spirit's Master
06-23-2009, 03:34 PM
Now that was a trip worth the price of gas!

Heading out to Toquart Bay this weekend. I hope the fishing is at least half as hot by the time we get there. We had already planned to hit each of the places you did on your trip. It's nice to come home with a little of everything.

Was that sea bass you caught black skinned? They are excellent smoked on the bbq, salt and brown sugar for a couple hours, add some wood chips in a little foil pack over the coals or burner (get the smoke going on high heat first) put the fish right on the grill (very low heat).

Thanks for the great report and a glimmer of what is to come.

cwf