PDA

View Full Version : A Stone Sheep Story

bigwhiteys
06-21-2009, 12:01 PM
After some hounding on my part Willy finally agreed to supply me with a story to go along with some of his pictures.

This story has been told in much shorter form on here before.

OCTOBER 19th; The date of the best and worst of my sheep hunting memories.

http://www.bchuntingblog.com/mypics/trail1.jpg

It was late October 1973; we had 2 sheep camps out in the area one lead by me the other by my father. Snow had been building for three days straight, my crew and I didn't care. My hunter’s tags were filled and cancelled. We had 37 head of pack horses, 4 hunters and our gear to move out to the main lodge before we could go home to our families for the winter.

The crew and I had packed our string that morning in blinding snow at one of our high sheep camps 2 days travel from the main lodge. It was a wet miserable move, arriving at the half way point campsite at dark. We unpacked and got the cook tent up and a fire going, so my aunt Diana could start coffee and dinner, the hunter and guide tents came next, all were up in record time, while the wrangler turned the horses loose to graze. This was a task the crew and I had completed many times, since the third week of June, when we first trailed out of the lodge that year.

Diana yelled "come and get it" from the kitchen and everyone congregated in the 16×16 pyramid tent for coffee, sheep steaks and all the trimmings.

Part way through supper the horse's that were now out grazing started to whinee. A few moments later we had another 30+ horse pack string at the hitching rail as my father had arrived with his operation. Boy was he glad to see tents up and coffee on. My mother was doing the cooking for him and immediately went to the cook tent to start another meal with my aunt.

http://www.bchuntingblog.com/mypics/camp1.jpg

The hunters they had with them were a disgruntled bunch as between the 4 of them they had 1 ram, 2 caribou and a goat they had just shot a couple of days earlier. They had already consumed the sheep and caribou meat and had been living off of the tuff old billy for 2 days. Needless to say these guys thought they had died and gone to heaven, riding up to a warm camp and sheep steaks.

Dinner was full of stories covering the past 18 days since the hunt had started. My father had found very few sheep in the area's he hunted and had made the move to lower ground, hoping he could fill his sheep tags with 3 days of season left. Now that he had caught up with me it changed to I had 3 days to fill his hunters along with Donny and Denny Russell, two brothers that were part of my crew and he volunteered to take my camp into the ranch, thanks Dad.

Little did I know but those 3 days would start me on a sheep hunt that would span three sheep seasons of wet, sore feet and tired legs....

Read The Rest Of The Story... (http://bchuntingblog.com/2009/06/a-stone-sheep-hunting-tale/)

Carl

olharley guy
06-21-2009, 12:44 PM
Hody, what a great story and pictures. later

mainland hunter
06-21-2009, 12:47 PM
good read, Did they get their bighorns in Montana after that?

bigwhiteys
06-21-2009, 12:52 PM
good read, Did they get their bighorns in Montana after that?

No it wasn't such a happy ending on that end... Willy can finish that part of the story if he wants.

Carl

steepNdeep
06-21-2009, 01:00 PM
Great story! Sittin' in my chair with a cold one, reading about the sheep quest was a good father's day present. Thx. Now off for a ride...

kennyj
06-21-2009, 01:14 PM
Awesome story!Thanks for sharing.Looking forward to more.
kenny

whitetailsheds
06-21-2009, 01:52 PM
Great read....love the photos of them heavy rams....

BlacktailStalker
06-21-2009, 03:51 PM
Good read, thanks for that.
One day :)

leadpillproductions
06-21-2009, 04:04 PM
As always great pics and story thanks.

blackbart
06-21-2009, 06:19 PM
Great story. Thank-you, and your Dad for posting it. I appreciate the lack of detail on horn length and score, please don't provide it the story is complete without it.

Gives me some added incentive to keep on walking for the next seven weeks in preparation.

todbartell
06-21-2009, 06:23 PM
link doesn't work for me? could you please post the rest of the story here on HBC? :)

moosinaround
06-21-2009, 08:54 PM
That story is what this hunting addiction is all about! There must be a book in the works with all those stories and pictures? Awesome story, I was there with you as you told it! More please!! Thanks, Moosin

daycort
06-21-2009, 10:06 PM
thanks Carl and Willy for a great story. Those 21 day hunts in october must have been something else. I can't wait to get out there this year, especially after shedding 25 lbs of beer gut. Does your dad or Grandpa have any stories about the orginal owners of your old territory?

ElkMasterC
06-21-2009, 10:11 PM
Good story, thx for posting.......

One question: What was the final score?

bigwhiteys
06-21-2009, 10:17 PM
Does your dad or Grandpa have any stories about the orginal owners of your old territory?

The only stories I know are about how my Grandpa came about acquiring it from them. There is also an article in the Toad River lodge that mentions them as well.

Carl

blueboy
06-22-2009, 07:16 AM
Wow, That Was A Great Story, And An Even Better Ending

Maxx
06-22-2009, 01:00 PM
Wonderful story ,and an amazing ram. Thanks for sharing.

yukon john
06-22-2009, 01:32 PM
great story Carl gets my blood pumping!!

rifleman
06-22-2009, 02:09 PM
Jaw Dropping!!!!! Thanx For Sharing That With Us. It Had Me Reading Every Word To The End. What A Monarc Of A Ram..

325 wsm
06-22-2009, 06:03 PM
Kick ass story. Awesome ram. must of broken those tips off so he could keep a better eye out for you. guess he didn't break them enough though.

riflebuilder
06-23-2009, 04:31 AM
great story just makes you want to head for the hills

hunter1947
06-24-2009, 05:35 AM
Carl very good wright up of the hunt as for the pic ,thanks for posting up this thread.

willy442
07-05-2009, 12:17 PM
That story is what this hunting addiction is all about! There must be a book in the works with all those stories and pictures? Awesome story, I was there with you as you told it! More please!! Thanks, Moosin

Yes I'm working on more. Have 3 stories completed and should be able to come with 25 to 30. I'm sending them all to Carl to do as he wishes with.

blackbart
07-05-2009, 07:15 PM
Good on yah willy, if Chris Kind, Chilco Choate and Pat Ferguson can do it so can you. Pretty sure that none of them ever planned on being published authors when they were conducting their activities.

Look forward to the read. Also thanks to Carl for helping to make it possible, sometimes son's do come in handy.

yama49
07-05-2009, 07:22 PM
awesome story, look foward to a book...

jasper
07-05-2009, 09:05 PM
Nice story awesome ram glad he made it through the winter your persistance really paid off