PDA

View Full Version : moose hunting chetwyn/tumbler

stones
06-20-2009, 12:58 PM
Was just wondering if anyone had any information on hunting the pine river in august for moose? or would hunting an area like skukunka be a better option? Any info would really help.

lunatic
06-20-2009, 01:12 PM
Either area could do well for you. Did you mean hunt the river via boat? If not then the Sukunka area would probably be less busy....especially if you get way back in there.

bopper
06-20-2009, 01:44 PM
I used to hunt the Pine via canoe.......always saw more game later in the season. Either Pine or Sukunka could be good if you take time to get off the river and hunt likely areas on foot....

stones
06-20-2009, 02:20 PM
ya i dont have a jet boat but would probably float the river and take some time to do it properly. I have hunted the skukunka once a couple years ago and there was a ton of workers throughout. Is it still busy there?

moosinaround
06-20-2009, 04:16 PM
It is a very busy place. Hunting the early moose season so close to chetwynd/tumbler, there are LOTS of people! Fuel prices are skyward again, which means more activity in the oil/gas sector. The river might be the answer. See yah up there! Moosin

elkdom
06-20-2009, 06:25 PM
It is a very busy place. Hunting the early moose season so close to chetwynd/tumbler, there are LOTS of people! Fuel prices are skyward again, which means more activity in the oil/gas sector. The river might be the answer. See yah up there! Moosin

and dont forget to factor in several recent coal mining ventures in the Sukunka/Chetwynd areas, the Sukunka Forest service road and East pine ares are extremely busy with Oil and Gas service trucks and equipment, 24/7 and what was bush 3 months ago with good hunting, now possibly can have a drill rig or pipeline development happening, or extensive seismic projects on the go, prepare for alternate areas to hunt,,,
this is the driest spring/summer so far in many,many years. Water will be key for early season hunts , game will be driven to water, and so far forage and grazing opportunities are slim, if it dont rain a lot in next few weeks, the forest will be tinder dry, adding another issue to access and plans for just what may be best plan for early August moose and elk hunts,,,

300wsm
06-20-2009, 08:09 PM
keep in mind there was a very large winter kill in the pine valley 3 winters ago. not sure how well it recovered but 2 years ago it was very slow. you could find some sign if you looked and a guy could get his meat but it was definately slow.

good luck
300wsm

Caveman
06-20-2009, 08:24 PM
I saw very little moose sign where we went last year. Elk seemed to be around though.

leadpillproductions
06-20-2009, 08:56 PM
ya i dont have a jet boat but would probably float the river and take some time to do it properly. I have hunted the skukunka once a couple years ago and there was a ton of workers throughout. Is it still busy there?
The road is stupid busy we have like 20 trucks running coal out of there not to mention all the other workers in there i use to hunt in there but i will not even go in there to hunt way to busy

hunter1947
06-21-2009, 06:07 AM
Any of the two areas are good for moose that you mentioned ,flip a coin and choose http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

barry1974w
06-21-2009, 07:02 AM
If you're going to go up the Sukunka make sure you have a radio, the way the road works is emptys don't call, they just clear for the loaded traffic. The coal trucks really haul ass and there's some really narrow spots. There was a few trucks run over the banks last fall.

mudbud
06-21-2009, 10:28 AM
no moose anywhere around Chetwynd or Tumbler anyhow!

elkdom
06-21-2009, 10:36 AM
no moose anywhere around Chetwynd or Tumbler anyhow!

yeh!,moose all gone now! ,,,,,,,,,,,,TICS ate em,,,,,,,,,,,

BURRRRRRRRRRRPPPPPP!