PDA

View Full Version : Which type of pack for sheep hunting

180grainer
06-20-2009, 08:55 AM
I'm in the market for buy a pack and have been looking seriously at an Eberlestock backpack. Has anyone had experience with this product? What would you recommend?

digger dogger
06-20-2009, 09:11 AM
wilderness wanderer.. they are a bit heavy but take a serious load we have had a huge grizz cape.. and multiple sheep,goats, deer 100 no bullshit lbs in them and extremly comfortable(for me) a very durable pack. both of the guys that i hunt up north with have had their's for over 10 years and still work great.. mine on the other hand blew out of my truck and my trailer tire hit it at 120k a new one is in order.about 750 dollars but well worth it..imo

180grainer
06-20-2009, 09:18 AM
I'll check them out. Thanks

huntcoop
06-20-2009, 09:31 AM
Eberlestock is pretty tough to beat. I have the J104 and love it.

Devilbear
06-20-2009, 09:32 AM
Read the Mystery Ranch thread, these are the BEST heavyduty packs I have ever used in decades of carrying packs all over BC, much of AB and other parts of Canada.

I have used Wilderness Wanderers and found them uncomfortable under moderate loads; a pack MUST fit you perfectly as must boots, or, you WILL suffer.

MR packs are not "cheap", but, they are a lifetime purchase, check them out, anyway. I have checked out one Eberlestock that my budy bought, did not care much for it, but, some guys really like them. Take your time, check and try everything you can, loaded, and then decide.

180grainer
06-20-2009, 09:35 AM
Hard to check packs out personally as I live in PG with not a lot of options available in this town. I know what you mean though and am very leary of buying something I haven't used as you just never know until that first trip and a mile up the trail from where the plane dumped you off.

yukon john
06-20-2009, 09:40 AM
Lowe Alpine 105 liters, they have the thickest straps, very comfortable I have gone through hell with mine 16+ months of use everyday. Packed out at least a dozen rams. You never run outta room. As devilbear said it must fit you, just cause a pack/boots are good for one person they may not fit the shape of another person.

bigwhiteys
06-20-2009, 09:51 AM
Lowe Alpine 105 liters, they have the thickest straps, very comfortable

Before my Mystery Ranch purchase I was using the Lowe Alpine expedition pack, not quite 105 liters mine came in at about 90. The Lowe's seem to be a good, well built mid-price range pack IMO.

Mine was quite comfortable, I wouldn't agree on the thickest straps though!

Carl

BCHunterFSJ
06-20-2009, 11:03 AM
I have used a Kelty external frame pack on many mountain hunts (sheep, goat, grizzly), and so has my son. We have been very pleased with them...

steepNdeep
06-20-2009, 11:12 AM
I have an Eberlestock J107 Dragonfly pack. It's a cool pack - I like the rifle holster (best that I've seen) & always use it on my dirt bike. It fits me perfectly & will carry what you can.

I also have an old ~100 L Lowe Alpine pack from my mountaineering days. It's about 20 years old, has been to the Himalayas & on dozens of trips. It has been bomber for me with up to 100 lb loads.

I haven't seen a Mystery Ranch, but they sound good as does Kifaru, etc. Try them out and see what fits you best. Isn't there a new Cabela's in Kamloops - should have a good selection.

Here's the Eberlestock:
http://www.secretcreeksupplies.com/db-bike.jpg

BlacktailStalker
06-20-2009, 06:12 PM
I've got a J104 and a Kifaru, both nice packs.
The Kifaru is definitely lighter.

Rubicon500
06-20-2009, 06:13 PM
I got a Barneys and a Eberlstock j107 both awesome packs. Dont know either of them is on your back when you got them loaded right up. IMO the wilderness waunders are junk, packs shouldnt continually blow apart trip after trip.

KevinB
06-21-2009, 08:21 PM
Isn't there a new Cabela's in Kamloops - should have a good selection.

Wholesale Sports. Unfortunately their pack selection is pretty limited but IIRC they have at times carried the Eberlestock packs.

olharley guy
06-21-2009, 09:17 PM
Howdy, there are some pretty fancy names there. You probably never heard of what I used for about 25+ years. LOL

It was very strong-could pack a hind quarter of moose which I have done a few times, along with sheep and all the other game.

Petty hard on the shoulders though. no padding on the straps and no waist band to wrap around.

This is what we called the Trapper Nelson. Later

1/2 slam
06-22-2009, 08:43 AM
This is what we called the Trapper Nelson. Later

AKA as the Torture Nelson

Stone Sheep Steve
06-22-2009, 09:16 AM
IMO the wilderness waunders are junk, packs shouldnt continually blow apart trip after trip.

After countless repairs I would have to agree. Great design.....but the workmanship is the shitz!!

A Barney is on my wish list.

SSS

bigwhiteys
06-22-2009, 09:21 AM
The Wilderness Wanderer looks like a pretty pricey pack too! When you are spending that much on a pack it better not be a POS!

Carl

BCrams
06-22-2009, 09:42 AM
The Wilderness Wanderer looks like a pretty pricey pack too! When you are spending that much on a pack it better not be a POS!

Carl

One time, we had to use 'surgical' needle / thread used for stitching cuts to stitch up a Wounded Wanderer :biggrin:

I think what hurts Barney is lack of marketing. Mystery Ranch is easy to view on their website etc whereas the Barney isn't easily viewed and they only make 3 no frills custom packs to choose from with different bag material (i.e., kevlar, 500d and 1000d).

One look on Alaska forums and its a very popular sheep rig.

bigwhiteys
06-22-2009, 09:46 AM
I think what hurts Barney is lack of marketing.

You got that right... Barney would pick up a lot more biz if they produced a website. I'll do their entire website for a pack trade straight across :) Then I can write a detailed review on the Barney and MR.

Carl

BCrams
06-22-2009, 09:51 AM
You got that right... Barney would pick up a lot more biz if they produced a website. I'll do their entire website for a pack trade straight across :) Then I can write a detailed review on the Barney and MR.

Carl

They're working on their new store website right now for on line ordering. They had one up before.

With your skills regarding websites, you probably could though.

bigwhiteys
06-22-2009, 09:55 AM
They're working on their new store website right now for on line ordering. They had one up before.

Bullshit... The site has been under construction for months! :) It would take about 2 hours (if that) to setup their online ordering with an off the shelf shopping cart software. They have very few products so it's not like they would have much of a management headache.

The website itself could be completed in just a few short days... They either don't give a shit, or just won't spend the money!

Carl

BCrams
06-22-2009, 10:03 AM
Bullshit... The site has been under construction for months! :) It would take about 2 hours (if that) to setup their online ordering with an off the shelf shopping cart software. They have very few products so it's not like they would have much of a management headache.

The website itself could be completed in just a few short days... They either don't give a shit, or just won't spend the money!

Carl

Its been longer than a few months. :???:

I have no idea how long it takes etc to set one up or what their deal is!! Could be they're happy with the business they get up there?? I do know the store itsself is actually quite large and diverse and is 'the' store in Alaska to go to for hunting / outdoor supplies etc. What they had up on line before was only a fraction of what they sell.

You should give him a shout and ask to speak to Bob (907) 561-5242

bigwhiteys
06-22-2009, 10:15 AM
I have no idea how long it takes etc to set one up or what their deal is!! Could be they're happy with the business they get up there?? I do know the store itsself is actually quite large and diverse and is 'the' store in Alaska to go to for hunting / outdoor supplies etc. What they had up on line before was only a fraction of what they sell.

In this day and age if you sell a specialty product and are not found online, someone else is taking your sales.

If you Google "hunting backpack" "backpack for hunting" "backpack for sheep hunting" etc.. My Blog comes up in the #1 or #2 spot on Google.

I should be selling them ad space lol...

Carl

Robert
06-22-2009, 10:26 AM
Just woundering who makes actually Barneys series of Backpacks ? Is it an American brand made south of the border or by Barney himself ? Just looking for a differeent store who may carry them.

ElkMasterC
06-22-2009, 10:48 AM
I was wondering that myself.....they're hard to find, and as was stated earlier, the website is Uber-Lame.

http://www.barneyssports.com/

Call them, and nag a little. Sounds like they have a great product, they just need to advertise.

Rackmastr
06-22-2009, 10:49 AM
Take a serious look at Mystery Ranch......

www.mysteryranch.com

I have 2 of their packs and they are quite hard to beat!

http://www.mysteryrants.com/2009/04/praire-bull/

Devilbear
06-22-2009, 11:06 AM
I was told that CampTrails makes the Barney's frames to their specs. and after several CampTrails packs since 1968, I do not find that design very stable in really steep country. My impression is that most of those who laud the Barney's frame packs have never tried much else and while I do not doubt that they are as good as their advocates say they are, MR packs are beyone anything except custom McHale's in function with heavy loads in rugged terrain.

A guy going Sheep, ,Mulie or Elk hunting for 5-10 days is going to be carrying 50-65lbs, depending on his optics, etc, and this is largely very pricey gear that you will not just burn to carry out meat. So, two guys are going to be packing 100 lbs. each, with meat, cape and horns and need two trips or relay packing for an Elk.

Carrying this weight for a few miles in rugged terrain is DAMM tough going, even when you are young and fit and spending the coin necessary to get a pack that REALLY works is just common sense, IMHO. I would not have bought five Mystery Ranch packs if they did not perform as I say they do and the comfort under heavy loads for an old baztard like me is beyond anything I have experienced since I carried my first ruck sack in 1956.

Anyway, MR has the best return policy I have ever seen and so your "risk" is limited and trying one out will likely make you a fan.

jml11
06-22-2009, 12:17 PM
Looking into the Barney's website a bit today, there is specualtion that because they are a small company they are afraid of the massive demand they may get by having an online ordering system and catalogue. I guess they are just not set up for it. Apparently it was a barage of international orders that shut it down the first time. I guess they are quite happy being the little guy but they are losing out on a lot of business...

Steelie73
06-22-2009, 02:18 PM
I purchased a Mystery Ranch pack over two years ago and must say this pack is awesome. I have packed out caribou, grizzly, moose, elk, and deer with this pack and it handles a heavy load (100 lbs+) with ease. At first I was nervous about spending alot of money for this pack but now I would never give it back. Here is a picture of half a deboned bull elk in a mystery ranch pack.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/Steelie73/DSCN0085.jpg

Stone Sheep Steve
06-22-2009, 02:31 PM

Carl

I'd be really peeved if I had purchased mine new but I bought it used(mint) for about 1/2 price.

Just finished replacing all the zippers in the side pouches and am still debating about ordering a new hipbelt and shoulder straps..since I'm not ready to spend more big bucks on a new pack.

SSS

jchunter
06-22-2009, 07:24 PM
Badlands 4500. I love this pack. It has a ton of nice features and is supper comfortable with a heavy load. I used it all last year and the year before and have no complaints. I blew through a lot of packs when I was guiding and this one beats them all hands down. You can adjust your load with the internal straps so that the heavy stuff sits in the middle and you dont have to worry about it shifting around. It has lots of pockets and a few cool acsesories like a mesh bag that pulls out and straps down to put you cloths and anything else that you dont want to get bloody when your packing out meat.
jc

Remmy
06-22-2009, 07:53 PM
I really like the Eberlestock packs I have the Halftrack and my son has the J107. The Halftrack is my day pack as I have a Tatonka as a pack frame that I also like very much, i packed out my goat in it at 80lbs plus and it was flawsless. here is a pic of my son with his J107 and a 26" 30-338 in the rear.
http://www.members.shaw.ca/hubcity11/pack.jpg
Here is a picture of my Tatonka on the same trip.
http://www.members.shaw.ca/hubcity11/pack1.jpg

islandarcher
06-22-2009, 09:01 PM
I am thinking seriously of an Eberlestock pack with a camera duffle. Just have to pinch a few million more pennies!

THE SWEDE
06-22-2009, 09:06 PM
Time for a shameless plug

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=36166

325 wsm
06-22-2009, 09:07 PM
Wilderness Wanderer. Learn how to set it up right to fit you. The best for extreme loads

ElkMasterC
06-22-2009, 09:30 PM
Time for a shameless plug

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=36166

You are without guile.

I told ya, fiddy buck..........

.....CASH MONEY!

brenden
06-22-2009, 10:29 PM
Arcteryx bora 95 is an Awesome pack. I also have a totonka but the jury is still out. Seems ok but the bora is awesome.

Brenden

BCbillies
06-22-2009, 10:33 PM
Yesterday we loaded 80 lbs into my three year old Kifaru, the G2 Kifaru, and the Mystery Ranch and they all felt pretty darn good. Would be hard to pick one over the other unless I test drove them all on a serious two week sheep hunt . . . 5 more weeks till showtime! :grin: Some sweet features all the packs and I'm not prepared to trade the ol' Kifaru in.

180grainer
06-23-2009, 05:11 PM
I really like the Eberlestock packs I have the Halftrack and my son has the J107. The Halftrack is my day pack as I have a Tatonka as a pack frame that I also like very much, i packed out my goat in it at 80lbs plus and it was flawsless. here is a pic of my son with his J107 and a 26" 30-338 in the rear.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/hubcity11/pack.jpg
Here is a picture of my Tatonka on the same trip.
http://www.members.shaw.ca/hubcity11/pack1.jpg
I certainly like the looks of the Totonka, is that a make or model. Who makes them?