PDA

View Full Version : HBC Coyote thread

Pages : [1] 2

todbartell
11-30-2005, 11:26 AM
here it is, the day before coyote season really truly begins now that deer season is past us.

Ive ordered a FoxPro FX3, as has HBC premier member, Gate_House. It should be here within two weeks.

http://usera.imagecave.com/ws6/Forum_Pics/FX3.jpg

Judging by the reviews and success hunters have been having with it so far, it should really be a hoot hunting with it this winter.

If you shoot a coyote this winter and want to share a picture or story, feel free to ad to this thread. Any info on guns, bullets, scopes, calls, setups for calling, baiting, etc, can be asked here and maybe we can help out in any ways.

Let it begin http://www.ls2.com/forums/images/smilies/demon.gif

Thunderstix
11-30-2005, 11:42 AM
Is that thing supposed to work for wolves as well?

BCHunter
11-30-2005, 11:44 AM
how much $ did it cost?

burnt03
11-30-2005, 12:18 PM
What do you do with the coyotes once you've bagged one? Do you just leave it for nature or take the skin or.....? (I've no idea, complete newb)

I've seen some while deer hunting in the area above Peachland, any spots up there that anyone knows of that might have a good number?

Thanks

Gus
11-30-2005, 12:21 PM
I'm fairly new new to coyote hunting, so to speak, so any advice people are willing to put out there will probably put to good use. I had a question about 22-250 factory loads for anybody that shoots one. Whats a good bullet for coyotes (as well as wolves)? Hide preservation is a factor. Thanks.

Thunderstix
11-30-2005, 12:32 PM
What do you do with the coyotes once you've bagged one? Do you just leave it for nature or take the skin or.....? (I've no idea, complete newb)

I've seen some while deer hunting in the area above Peachland, any spots up there that anyone knows of that might have a good number?

Thanks

Legally you must remove the hide.

todbartell
11-30-2005, 12:34 PM
Is that thing supposed to work for wolves as well?
I have ordered it programmed with the 4 wolf howl sounds. A lone wolf, a pair howl, and two pack howls. And of course all the predator sounds...and coyote howls/vocals.

how much $ did it cost?
$670 to my door with a free carrying case

What do you do with the coyotes once you've bagged one? Do you just leave it for nature or take the skin or.....?

I am looking for someone to buy them off me, whole and unskinned...I have heard of people that do this down in the Kootenays etc, but so far nobody up here...

Gus,

I do not shoot a 22-250, but if I was looking for a fur friendly load capable of a big wolf as well as coyotes, I would suggest you take a look at any of the three Winchester Supreme loads with the 40, 50, or 55 gr. Ballistic Silvertips. Similar loads that will work would be : Federal VShok 40 & 55 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips, Remington AccuTip V Boat Tail, and any of the Hornady factory loads featuring the Vmax bullet.

boonerbuck
11-30-2005, 12:53 PM
You sneaky bastaards, now I got to go out and spend the cash!

Elkhound
11-30-2005, 12:57 PM
You sneaky bastaards, now I got to go out and spend the cash!

No you don't, just go hunting with them:grin:

Sikanni Stalker
11-30-2005, 01:00 PM
This is a question , not an accusation................

I haven'y got the regs here in front of me, but is this legal. I seem to recall somthing about recorded or reproduced animal calls being illegal?????

is it just for bears and ungulates??????? I will check later when I get home. Maybe varmits are different. If it is legal, I would like to have one myself......

Elkhound
11-30-2005, 01:09 PM
Used to be illegal but changed in the regs this year. Page 18 #14

Gateholio
11-30-2005, 01:16 PM
*I* personally believe that they change in the regs indicates that the biologists are keen to have more people out whacking predators...:smile:

Elkhound
11-30-2005, 01:19 PM
I can't wait for the two of you to give us field reports. With pics of course. Clarke, you better take the pics this time though. Bartell takes them at weird angles.:razz:

brotherjack
11-30-2005, 01:31 PM
Anyone know of anyone/anyplace in the East Kootenay's that buy's coyotes and/or coyote pelts?

Thanks.

todbartell
11-30-2005, 02:06 PM
You can use a electronic call for : coyotes, wolves, cougar, bobcat, and lynx

I am off now to head to the range and sight in all four of my coyote rifles :mrgreen:

boonerbuck
11-30-2005, 02:36 PM
here it is, the day before coyote season really truly begins now that deer season is past us.

Ive ordered a FoxPro FX3, as has HBC premier member, Gate_House. It should be here within two weeks.

http://usera.imagecave.com/ws6/Forum_Pics/FX3.jpg

Judging by the reviews and success hunters have been having with it so far, it should really be a hoot hunting with it this winter.

If you shoot a coyote this winter and want to share a picture or story, feel free to ad to this thread. Any info on guns, bullets, scopes, calls, setups for calling, baiting, etc, can be asked here and maybe we can help out in any ways.

Let it begin http://www.ls2.com/forums/images/smilies/demon.gif

Add another member to TEAM FOX PRO

Just got off the phone with Jim. Good bye BLR, hello FX3!!:grin:

Marc
11-30-2005, 04:32 PM
I'd like to hear how they work out on wolves, who knows maybe some of the Island boys might pick one up.

Gateholio
11-30-2005, 04:36 PM
Did you get a camo pattern one, booner?

I chose black since they work just as good, but camo is cooler...

Maxx
11-30-2005, 04:49 PM
I got mine is Snow Camo, thanks to Firebird for remomending Jim, he seems like a good guy, Can't wait to try it.

boonerbuck
11-30-2005, 05:01 PM
Did you get a camo pattern one, booner?

I chose black since they work just as good, but camo is cooler...

I got snow cam because I'm cooler than you and you know it!:grin:

He's put my order in today and the payment is on the way. He asked why Firebird's sound codes were all for African game? I said a mistake maybe.:-?

Gus
11-30-2005, 05:07 PM
All this coyote talk is getting me anxious. I think I might have to take a quick burn out to woods tomorrow morning before class, do some squealing, maybe try some howling.

sniperontheridge
11-30-2005, 07:10 PM
gus .try a 40 grain hp.in the 22-250.as i have shot coyotes with them .very impressed.no pelt damage.

todbartell
12-01-2005, 07:04 AM
I'm heading out the door, December 1st has hit :twisted:

Ken
12-01-2005, 08:26 AM
I am curious to see how it works.......

huntwriter
12-01-2005, 10:10 AM
I have ordered it programmed with the 4 wolf howl sounds. A lone wolf, a pair howl, and two pack howls. And of course all the predator sounds...and coyote howls/vocals.

Wow, 670 that is a bit steep for only 4 sounds.:shock:

I think in that case I am sticking with my mouth calls with them I can make many different sounds from the rabbit to the chicken evrey distress call imagineable. Some other calls let me make every yote call. This gives me versatility which is needed especially if you call coyotes that are educated to hunting pressure. It is a bit of a learning curve to learn all the different calls but this will pay huge dividends in the field, besides it is fun to learn all this calls and forces you to listen to nature.This in turn will make you a better hunter, better as in success of killing something.

In the past I have had coyotes react to my calls and come in close on land that saw a lot of hunting and where the coyotes where very wise. It is a bit like turkey hunting they learn fast and stay away from the "common" calls. My best results in coyote and trukey hunting had always been when I mix the calling and try to create a audible scene. I also try to give them something visual, because if an animal comes to a call it fully expects to see something. If it does not see something it instantly knows that something is not right and it either will hang up or leave right away again.

For this reason I use many different calls and I belive that mouth calls give me more variety then a electronic call ever can.

Elkhound
12-01-2005, 10:46 AM
Wow, 670 that is a bit steep for only 4 sounds.:shock:

4 wolf calls and all the predator calls too I believe

Gateholio
12-01-2005, 11:03 AM
32 calls on the FX3:smile:

boonerbuck
12-01-2005, 11:48 AM
32 calls on the FX3:smile:

You can choose 32 from the actual 100's of calls available.

I'm sure some of the African big game calls would even work.

todbartell
12-01-2005, 12:30 PM
I meant to say I got 4 wolf vocals on my FX3 (which should be here by mid December)

here's my list :

207 - COyote locator
208 - coyote serenade
209 - pup distress
210 - coyote death cry
211 - interrogation howl
212 - challenge male howl
213 - female in heat
218 - ki yi

--------

233 - jackrabbit distress
235 - snowshoe hare
237 - cottontail distress
238 - cottontail dist. 2
239 - rabbit duet

------------
240 - rodent squeek
241 - vole squeek
246 - kitten distress
248 - dual rodents
249 - rodent distress
250 - kiss of death
259 - fawn distress
290 - lucky bird distress

------------------------------------
320 - lone wolf howl
321 - wolf pack howl
324 - wolf pair howl
326 - wolf pack howl
350 - baby cottontail distress
351 - baby cottontail frenzy
354 - cottontail distress
356 - snowshoe distress
---------------------------------------

I can't wait for it to arrive...

this morning I checked my bait, nothing on it. Howled a few times, no responses. Called with my mouth predator distress calls for a bit, nothing came in. So I headed to a different area about 20 minute drive north, saw some older coyote trakcs, howled, called, nothing...We really need some fresh snow, this stuff is 2 weeks old and crunchy and loud as hell. :evil:

Drove the long way home and spotted two yotes out in the middle of a large field. Private land and no idea who owns it. Beautys though, real nice furs on them.

Heading out this afternoon...:wink:

Maxx
12-01-2005, 01:28 PM
Firebird- What about woodpecker in distress, lots of guys are saying that this works well for yotes, and lynx? I also read that the lucky bird is great too,

todbartell
12-01-2005, 01:30 PM
if the FX3 held 40 sounds I would have added more birds. I did include the Lucky Bird though, sounds real good.

huntwriter
12-01-2005, 05:49 PM
I meant to say I got 4 wolf vocals on my FX3 (which should be here by mid December)

here's my list :

I can't wait for it to arrive...

this morning I checked my bait, nothing on it. Howled a few times, no responses. Called with my mouth predator distress calls for a bit, nothing came in. So I headed to a different area about 20 minute drive north, saw some older coyote trakcs, howled, called, nothing...We really need some fresh snow, this stuff is 2 weeks old and crunchy and loud as hell. :evil:

Drove the long way home and spotted two yotes out in the middle of a large field. Private land and no idea who owns it. Beautys though, real nice furs on them.

Heading out this afternoon...:wink:

Sounds very impressive but the price of the call is still not justified to me. But hey, if it gives you the confidence you need and does what you expect then that's alright too.:D

Baiting coyotes is a very good way to make them stick around for a while. I also have great success with using scent such as coyote urine which I spray liberally around the area. This makes them think that there are other coyotes in the area.

I am always trying new tactics or even mix tactics used for different game species. Some call it "Of the wall" but sometimes that is what it takes. Some years back I discoverd that coyotes would answer to emergency vehicle sirens. That gave me an idea to try something that I do when hunting turkeys which is called "Locating". A turkey tom will answer you back when you make a loud natural noice such as a pileated woodpecker, a crow call or turkey gobble even a loud whistle blow will work. I once had a trukey gobble when he heard the shotgun go off which killed his bigger brother or cousin. Anything that is loud and unexpected will trigger a shock gobble from the tom. With that he gives away his location. I carried that tactic over to coyote hunting by using a hand held siren, since they answer to police sirence I thought why not give it a try. In the past I had good success in locating coyotes and then go after them and set up a stand nearby to call them in with the normal coyote calls. The trick here is that you use a call wich you normally do not use to call coyotes otherwise they will smarten up to you real fast. You have to let them think that the two sounds have nothing to do with each other.

In some of my seminars I suggested this tactic to hunters and if the letters I got are any indication they all like the response they get from coyotes. I also tried to hunt coyotes from tree stands which works good too. Years of hunting has educated coyotes to look for trouble streight ahead on the ground but they do not look up on the trees. Use a light climbing treestand which you can move easy and silently to different locations such as the Summit Viper.

Sometimes it is not what we do that spells the difference of success but what we should do and don't do and one thing we should do is be different than anybody else. This often will fool an otherwise hunter wise critter.

Good luck to you and I hope you get some coyotes they are shure great fun and challanging to hunt.

todbartell
12-01-2005, 06:45 PM
I was close to adding the 'Siren' call to the list ordered on the FoxPro. It sounds like a WWII Air Raid siren. Ive read about how it can work for locating. Makes sense, a coyote is just a dog, and dogs always light up when a siren goes off or a train goes by.

Tonight I dumped some more bait but got nothing on it other than magpies and ravens. Heard the yotes howling though, but my distress calls brought in nothing but a fat bodied 2 pt mulie.

This weekend I'll be going out again :grin: ;-)

oldtimer
12-01-2005, 08:22 PM
This might sound too simple but what the hell. Now that you guys have spent your loonies why couldn't another hunter/friend bring his $39.95 WalMart casette player and record off your machines and use that tape ? Or go high tech and burn a DVD. Mike

Gateholio
12-01-2005, 08:28 PM
About 10 years ago I learned that coyotes will espond to sirens.

I was out on my land, I think I was cutting some firewood..And all of a sudden these coyotes across the valley start howling!!! It was nuts!

They kept at it for some time, and then I started to hea an ambulance siren coming.

The ocyotes kept at the howling all the time I could hear the siren, and long after I couldn't hear it anymore.

Tells you 2 things- Cyotes will respond to a siren, and- copyotes have excellent hearing.:wink:

todbartell
12-02-2005, 12:38 AM
This might sound too simple but what the hell. Now that you guys have spent your loonies why couldn't another hunter/friend bring his $39.95 WalMart casette player and record off your machines and use that tape ? Or go high tech and burn a DVD. Mike

nothing stopping that.

but

you'd have to pack around speakers and a battery pack. you'd have no ability to remotely control it, let alone 700 yards of range
you'd not be able to change sounds from, for example, a rabbit distress to a bird distress to a howl, all in seconds (if you so wanted, just making a point)

oh, and you wouldnt be cool! :mrgreen:

youngfellla
12-02-2005, 12:43 AM
A great man once said, " Bait 'em, Wait 'em, 338 'em!":biggrin:

Anyone ever try Dog Food? (for bait, that is, not for a meal) :grin: It works damn good.

Gus
12-02-2005, 05:31 PM
Just ordered up a brand new 22-250 yesterday. Hope it will be what i'm looking for. I ordered a remington model 700 sps. Was on a budget so this was a good gun for me ($500). I know remingtons are usually pretty good so we'll see what happens with this one. should be here in a week or two. Can't wait to try it out.

boonerbuck
12-02-2005, 11:36 PM
oh, and you wouldnt be cool! :mrgreen:

But it's never too late to join TEAM FOX PRO!!8-)

3kills
12-03-2005, 01:05 AM
booner did u get urs already?

Gateholio
12-03-2005, 11:55 AM

There is snow on the ground at booners place...:grin:

boonerbuck
12-03-2005, 11:56 AM

It's on the way.:-)

boonerbuck
12-03-2005, 11:57 AM
There is snow on the ground at booners place...:grin:

...and it was still -34 at 9;30 Am.:eek:

boonerbuck
12-03-2005, 04:26 PM
Got to love days like these!

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a294/boonerbuck/canada_oct_05.jpg

todbartell
12-03-2005, 04:31 PM
holy crap, what a shoot!

I saw a coyote on the side of the hiway last night at dusk

I damn near hit the ditch I was so excited :oops:

I laid the 'chevy horn in distress' call on him, and he buggered off

Im gonna be going out tommorow evening for coyotes, hopefully it will snow soon, this weather SUCKS :???:

youngfellla
12-03-2005, 04:59 PM
Damn! Now that's a day well spent.:mrgreen: I guess those coyotes were'nt very wiley!

Firebird - they respond better to Dodge horn calls this time of year.

boonerbuck
12-03-2005, 05:00 PM
Amazing how clean those dogs are. Must be little in the way of exit wounds.

trigger
12-03-2005, 05:27 PM
im guessing that those were trapped. if not wow what a shoot. where and how do you see that many yotes

todbartell
12-03-2005, 05:59 PM
judging by the calls around his neck, they were hunted not trapped?

and exit sides can be placed away from the camera :-P and often cartridges like 17 Rem etc dont exit

boonerbuck
12-03-2005, 09:34 PM
The pic was posted on another forum as Canada Oct/05. Thats all I know.:???:

Gus
12-03-2005, 09:40 PM
The guy in the pick is Randy Anderson, he's part of the primos group. If you've seen any of his videos (i just bought the truth 2, calling all coyotes), you might not think that the picture was all that much of a stretch. Those guys get some good access to some good places all over north america, and that Randy is a hell of a caller.

todbartell
12-04-2005, 12:24 AM
More success with the FX3, these guys are really nailing them. these yoties were taken in a Wyoming coyote calling contest, they took 3rd place :grin:

http://photos.imageevent.com/caltaylor/morehunting/websize/Rawlins.jpg

Crimson Viking
12-04-2005, 10:50 AM
Just Currious. I have never yote hunted but it sounds like it might be interesting. especially since i have tagged out on deer for this year. What does everyone do with their hides? Do you sell them or home tan them, or get them professionally tanned?

If you sell them, where do you sell them and how much do you get for them??

This might be a way to shake off the winter hunting blues and make some money to fund future hunting gear. :)

BCHunter
12-04-2005, 12:01 PM
WESTERN CANADIAN RAW FUR AUCTION SALES LTD.
www.westcanfurauction.com (http://www.westcanfurauction.com/)
e-mail: info@westcanfurauction.com (info@westcanfurauction.com)
VANCOUVER, B.C.
October 18, 2005
CANADIAN TRAPPER
Dear Trapper:
The 2005 season ended strong on Sables, whereas, Lynx, Lynx Cat, Otter, Beaver, Fisher,
heavy Foxes and Coyotes ended up easier. Good demand also for Wolverine, Arctic Wolf,
Polar Bear, Grizzly Bear and Cougars. There is also better demand for big Wild Mink and
Muskrats at increased prices.
As usual, Sable and Lynx were the highlights of our February and May 2005 Sales. In
comparison to Eastern Sales, our averages on Sable were again fully $5.00 - $6.00 U.S.
higher. Below are our conservative price basis. We are still the only auction to give you an
idea of what you may expect this coming year. Prices quoted are in Canadian Dollars.
WILD MINK Fair Demand. Select - #1, XXL $24, XLGE $20, LGE $16, MED&SM $12-$9.
SABLE Very Good Demand. XXL, #1 -#2 – Select $90-$125, Gd #2, hvy $75-$85.
XLGE, #1 & #2 – Select $75-$80, Gd #2, hvy $60-$65. LGE #1 - #2 – Select
$60-$70, Gd #2, hvy $48-$50. MED #1 - #2 – Select $40-$45, Gd #2, hvy,
$32-$36. SM #1 - #2 – Select $30-$32, Gd #2, hvy $20-$22.
COAST SABLE – XLGE #1 - #2, hvy $35, LGE $28-$30, L.MED $20-$22.
MED&SM $15-$16.
NOTE – All Sables should be trapped after November 15th. Wider board
base should be used, Males 4-1/2” and Females 3-1/2”. Narrow boards are
discounted one size by buyers.
FISHER Good Demand. Select - #1, clear, LGE $45-$50; MED&SM $35-$42.
LYNX Good Demand. For Good Color Basis – Pale, XLGE $225, LGE $200. L.MED
$150, MED&SM $100-$125. Lt Brown 25% less, Brown 40% less. All Lynx
should be trapped after December 15th for better color.
LYNX CAT Good Demand. XLGE&LGE, clear, pale $250-$300, Lt tawny $200-$250.
MED&SM, clear, pale $125-$130, tawny $90-$110, Brown, XLGE&LGE
$75-$85, MED&SM $40-$45.
BOB CAT Good Demand. #1, Brown, XLGE&LGE $55-$65, MED&SM $25-$35.
BEAVER Good Demand. Select & #1, XXL $45-$50, XLGE $38-$40, LGE $24-$25.
L.MED $20, MED $14, SM $10. Gd Slights & Gd #2’s 25% less.
OTTER Good Demand. Select, #1 hvy, Brown XXL $130, XLGE $100, LGE $70-$80.
MED&SM $35-$45. All Gd #2’s 20% less. Pale Colors 20% more.
MUSKRAT Good Demand. Select, Spring Trapped, Juicy XL&LGE $2.75-$3.25, MED&SM
$1.25-$1.35. XLGE & LGE, Slight $1.75-$2.25, MED&SM $.75 -.85.
RED FOX Good Demand. #1, XLGE&LGE, hvy, gd col $35-$40, MED&SM $22-$25. Gd
#2’s, hvy XLGE&LGE $27-$28, MED&SM $16-$18.
Canadian Trapper Page 2
CROSS FOX Good Demand. #1, XLGE&LGE, hvy, $50-$55, MED&SM $24-$26.
Gd #2’s, XLGE&LGE, hvy $35-$40, MED&SM $18-$20.
WHITE FOX Fair Demand. #1 hvy, XLGE&LGE $35, MED&SM $18-$20. Gd #2’s,
hvy, XLGE&LGE $22-$24, MED&SM $12. Lower Grades,
proportionately less.
COYOTE Fair Demand. Select #1, Alta-Sask, gd color, hvy, XLGE $55-$60,
MED&SM.$25-$26. Hvy Gd #2’s 30% less.
ERMINE Fair Demand. #1, XLGE&LGE $4.50, L.MED $3.00, SM $1.10. Gd #2’s
XLGE&LGE $2.50, L.MED $1.75, SM .75.
SQUIRREL Fair Demand. Select #1, $1.75-$1.80, Sl Dmg & Gd #2’s $1.10-$1.15.
RACCOON Fair Demand. #1, hvy XLGE&XXLGE $18-$22, LGE $11-$12, MED&SM
$5-$7.
TIMBER WOLF Good Demand. Arctic, Select #1, Pale & Black, soft XXLGE&XLGE
$350, LGE $250-$260. Off Colors & Gd #2’s $175-$250. Regular
Canadian Timber Wolf - #1’s $125-$175. Off Color & Gd #2’s $90-$110.
Paws on Wolves should be left on in a “fist” form, not skinned out
individual claws.
POLAR BEAR Good Demand for Good skins. #1, hvy, 9’+ $1,400, 8’+ $1,100, 7’+
$900, 6’+ $750. Poorer skins – proportionately less. Please do not
hunt Polar Bear too early, hunt them the end of December.
GRIZZLY BEAR Excellent Demand. Hvy, Prime, XXL-XLGE $1,400-$1,500, LGE
$1,100-$1,200.
COUGAR Good Demand. Prime, Tom #1 XLGE $375, LGE $275.
BLK/BRN BEAR Fair Demand. XXLGE-XLGE, hvy #1, $150-$175, LGE $90-$125,
MED&SM $40-$50.
WOLVERINE Good Demand. #1, XLGE&LGE, hvy, full, $350. #2 XLGE&LGE, hvy
$200-$225. #1, MED&SM, hvy $150-$175. #2, MED&SM $85-$100.
PLEAST NOTE - Lynx Cat, Bob Cat, Timber Wolf, Bears, Cougar and Wolverine should
have paws and lips left on, pads preferably for Taxidermy purposes. This will bring you a
Premium Price. As mentioned above, Paws on Arctic Wolves should be left on in a FIST
FORM, not skinned out individual claws.
We would like to thank our Shippers for their continued support this past year, and trust we
can serve you again this coming season. Please insure your shipments with any carrier for
for up to $1,000.00 as we have our own insurance policy on all incoming shipments of fur.
Our First Sale of the season will be held on February 17, 2006. Make every effort to have
your furs on this sale, as it usually is the best sale of the season. Last Receiving Date for
this sale is February 1, 2006.
Wishing you all the very best in 2006. With kindest regards, we remain
WESTERN CANADIAN RAW FUR AUCTION SALES LTD.
TED PAPPAS - PRESIDENT
1st Sale – Feb. 17, 2006 ~ Last Rec. Date: Feb 1
2nd Sale – May 17 ~ Last Rec. Date: May 1

todbartell
12-04-2005, 02:42 PM
Headed out this moring at 10am, to check my bait. 2" of fresh snow had finally fallen overnight, so I could now see how many yotes have been travelling the area Im hunting.

I got out of the truck and headed towards the field which holds my bait. Just as I round the bend in the road to the field, I spot a coyote loping across the field in front of me about 150 yards away, heading towards the bush. He had to of heard me walking down the road...Anyways so I make a crying noise with my mouth as I drop to a knee, but the yote doesnt really slow down, until he hits the edge of the trees, where he stops for 2 seconds, then dissapeared. I *almost* had time to get the scope on him, but it just happened so fast.

I went to my bait and saw alot of coyote and raven tracks around it, then moved to the edge of the field and got ready to call for a bit. Used my Knight & Hale Cottontail #920 call, but after 20 minutes of on and off calling, nothing showed, so I headed east through the trees to another field, 400 yards away.

I set up on the field edge, hiding behind some small poplar trees. I called with my Johnny Stewart PC-1 distress call, and also howled with my Knight & Hale howler. After 10 minutes I spot something coming towards me from far across the field, and upon inspection, it was a mulie doe. :roll: Then I hear a few coyotes howling across the field in a chunk of timber, sounded like 2-3 coyotes, within half a KM for sure. I picked up the volume with my screams and cries, hoping to entice one of these dogs across the field where I could get a shot.

Five minutes later I switched to the howl, trying to do the wimpiest sounding howl I could manage. I want to put the idea in the coyotes head that a young coyote low on the rank has snuck in and stole their dying rabbit. :mrgreen:

Sure enough, just maybe 30 seconds after I howled, I spot a yote slinking in to my right, approx 100 yards out in the field. I slooooowwwly turn myself and my rifle to face it, as it is now trotting dead towards me. It spots my movement and freezes, but by this time I have my rifle up and ready, resting on the poplar tree I was hiding behind. I double check the safety is off, take a second or two to steady the crosshairs on its chest/neck (still standing facing me) and I touch the trigger on my 260 Remington.

KA WHUMP the 87 gr. Speer Hollowpoint covers the 70 yards to the yote in about 0.065 seconds, striking high in the chest, still clocking over 3100 fps on impact. You can guess what happened...coyote is thrown over backwards basically, a couple tail flops and leg kicks, and thats it.

A nice female, who was looking for an easy meal.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Dec4_05_003.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Dec4_05_010.jpg

Darren
12-04-2005, 02:54 PM
Nice work Firebird, looks like quite the exit wound! I got onto a pair of fresh wolf tracks in the snow today and followed them through thick bush for a few km, blowing a fawn in distress call every so often, but I never caught up with them. It was pretty Interesting to see where they had gone, across logs etc, and one walked right over a 5 ft. snow covered boulder in the middle of an open meadow when he could have just walked beside it, lol.

Schmaus
12-04-2005, 05:29 PM
Nice job Firebird. Good story my favorite part is where the 87 grain bullet is cruising towards the yote at 3100 fps. I think I might have to send some 53 grain tsx'ers flying from my 22-250 a little later in the month.:grin:

BCHunter
12-04-2005, 05:42 PM
right on Firebird! nice coyote....

ex bc guide
12-04-2005, 07:36 PM
way to go Firebird
Mike

Maxx
12-04-2005, 08:25 PM
WEll done firebird, there will be no stopping you with the FX3,

Gus
12-04-2005, 09:06 PM
Nice piece of work firebird, I went out today, nothing much happened though. I got an answer from my howler at one set up, and my truck was between me and where the howl came from so i quickly moved to intercept the coyote incase he spotted my truck, but in the end nothing ever came of it. Have to giver another try.

Gateholio
12-04-2005, 11:40 PM
Once agina, you have proved why you are a Premier member of HBC.

Good work, FB!:-D

3kills
12-05-2005, 08:59 AM
awesome job really love the looks of the exit wound...

Elkhound
12-05-2005, 10:58 AM
Looks like fun.....I have to try this yote hunting:grin:

trigger
12-05-2005, 12:26 PM
Right On. Good Story. If Anyone Is Considering Taking Up Predator Hunting I Highly Recomend It. Its Alot Of Fun. Gives You Something To Do In The Winter. Im Almost Deffinetly Going To By A Fx3. Just Waiting For Firebird To Tell Me How His Works.

LOC
12-05-2005, 01:48 PM
Here is a question, what is everyone using for bait?

this will be the first year for me after actually hunting coyotes. What works best?

Thanks!
LC

PGKris
12-05-2005, 02:04 PM
I'd like to know what baits you can use as well. I thought baiting them was illegal? Guess not? That exit would looks kind of messy. Nice way to kick off the varmint season though!
KRIS

todbartell
12-05-2005, 02:39 PM
baiting is not illegal

It is unlawful : to intentionally feed or attempt to feed dangerous wildlife (cougar, coyote, wolf, bear) ]except when lawfully engaged in hunting or trapping where baiting is authorised
dead cows work well, talk to ranchers and farmers locally about taking any animals they may have that dies for whatever reason, off their hands for them

Steeleco
12-05-2005, 03:05 PM
Two questions,
1st LOC do you hunt locally??
2nd all you guys with experience, aren't there royalties involved with hides, and if so how do you pay them?

OK that was 3 questions but who's counting.

I'm very interested in trying yote hunting, I've got a 6mm rem that needs to see daylight away from the range.

PGKris
12-05-2005, 04:22 PM
So another question, when it says:

COYOTE Fair Demand. Select #1, Alta-Sask, gd color, hvy, XLGE $55-$60,
MED&SM.$25-$26. Hvy Gd #2’s 30% less.

What does that mean?? The average joe who does a good job skinning out his yotes can get as much as $60? What does Gd #2's 30% less mean? Are those prices only for trapped furs or are they for hunted ones as well? (Yes I'm a green-ass rookie)

shortroot
12-05-2005, 05:23 PM
PGK,

You could expect to get between $20-50 for a skinned/dried hide. This is a nicely primed fur (white skin/no blue). A healthy fat 'yote will take a while to achieve this if temperatures are not severe. To get $60 for a 'yote from BC is a bit tougher as colour has a lot to do with price, the whiter a 'yote, the better the price. If fur hunting, putting a bullet through the ears or eyes is recommended, even a small hole in the back or belly area decreases the value. Some, not so knowledgable, fur buyers may just look at the size and hair quality, but you may not be lucky to find one like that.

I take a few each year and the work is a lot for the money you get back. If you don't skin animals a lot, the thin hide on 'yotes can be a headache (many people skin with their hands and fists). Remember to clean up the hide as well, the fur is usually full of dirt and cleaning it will give you a better colour and presentation. I have a neighbour who hand washes them and puts them on a low cycle in the dryer for a bit. You'll need to have a stretcher as well, for drying, unless you can get rid of them whole (you won't get as much whole though).

As for royalties, I have paid them for squirrels when I used to hunt them with my Grandpa, but we sold them at the auction through his trappers license. With 'yotes I sell to a buyer and I would assume he would pay the royalties when sold through the auction.

Just a reminder to myself.. IS IT LEGAL TO HUNT FOX IN BC? I thought not, but the pic posted earlier got me thinking... I know it wasn't from BC, but still got me thinking..

todbartell
12-05-2005, 06:25 PM
I believe you can only trap fox in BC

Gus
12-05-2005, 07:55 PM
You don't neccisarily have to trap them, but you do have to have a trapping licience and be on your trapline. Basically what firebird said

LOC
12-05-2005, 09:15 PM
Steeleco, haven't gone out yet. First trip will likely be New Years weekend up around Merritt, unless I can get away before. Not sure were I would look locally.

Redfrog
12-07-2005, 02:24 PM
Well here's a couple sample pics for all you guys that are thinking about calling predators. It's an aewsome way to spend the time after big game season.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/Redfrog/gwn9.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/Redfrog/965d1db9.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/Redfrog/P1010006b.jpg

The wolf was taken in Northern Alberta, the coyote in central Alberta and the one with me in the Ghillie suit, was in arizona last January.
-40C in Alberta + 20 C in Arizona. Where would you rather be??:grin:

I will be doing two calling demos a day at the Outdoor show in Abbotsford March 2,3,4, 2006 at the Tradex. Stop by and say hi. or if any of you newdies have questions about calling predators, I'd be happy to try to answer them for you. Ask away.

PGKris
12-07-2005, 05:41 PM
That's a nice wolf!!! Sweet! That sure gets the blood pumping!!

Marc
12-07-2005, 05:51 PM
Hey Redfrog, someone was asking about a guillie suit not that long ago. I'm pretty sure you had one for sale a while back. Is it still for sale or has it been sold?

thanks, Marc.

lip_ripper00
12-12-2005, 11:16 PM
was in Burnaby this morning and saw a coyote loping down the side of the road, IT WAS the mangest uglyest critter I have ever seen!!! just sat their watching cars.....

Fred
12-13-2005, 09:45 AM
LR, if that had been me driving that yote would have gotten a GMC enema if he was anywhere between the road and the edge of the ditch. Your excuse for swerving at that moment, Sorry officer I was sneezing, and we know one cannot drive when the body is having one of Those fits. By the way, that is a legal defense and there is precedence(sp). Fred

trigger
12-13-2005, 01:21 PM
how do you get a trapping liscence

lip_ripper00
12-13-2005, 01:45 PM
LR, if that had been me driving that yote would have gotten a GMC enema if he was anywhere between the road and the edge of the ditch. Your excuse for swerving at that moment, Sorry officer I was sneezing, and we know one cannot drive when the body is having one of Those fits. By the way, that is a legal defense and there is precedence(sp). Fred:grin: It would have been hard to explain to the 15 or so school kids standing across the road!!:grin:

elkster
12-13-2005, 11:58 PM
Hey Redfrog,
very nice pics. Boy sometimes I miss those open prairies, then I remember the -20.

PGKris
12-13-2005, 11:58 PM
pffffft every kid needs to see a critter die ever now and then :D

Husky7mm
12-15-2005, 03:11 PM
If you out biggame hunting and you see a yote and dont have a call blow on your flagging tape between your thumbs, works everytime!

CanAm500
12-15-2005, 04:23 PM
Redfrog what kinda rilfe you use?

Gus
12-16-2005, 10:13 PM
I made my first coyote kill today. I was out sighting in my new coyote rifle when a yote comes strolling out, sits down and proceeds to watch me shoot. He probably watched me for about an hour, periodically moving around and mousing, doing this and that, didn't seem bothered by my shooting at all. At the end of my shooting session I was grouping good enough for a close shot. So I brought my rifle up to the target with me and sure enough, there he was. I sat down, and as soon as I pointed the gun at him he ran. I did some sqeaking with my mouth and he popped back up. I shot and he started spinning in a circle. Upon further inspection, this would have been a kill a shot but i fired again. He went down. When i got up to him it looked like he may have some life in him so rather then taking a chance at having an animal suffer i gave him a final one in the head. For this reason there will be no pics posted, but other then that it was a good size female with a fairly good coat. I need to get different shells for hunting and once I fine tune those, I'm going to try to hit this coyote hunting hard. Should be fun winter

trigger
12-17-2005, 10:33 AM
congrats. it dont get much easier than that eh. what are you shooting for a coyote gun?

3kills
12-17-2005, 11:38 AM
i almost got one last night with car...it was standing outside in front of my house and i chased him down with car but he was runnin behind another car so i couldnt gun it and get him so i followed him till he ran off the road...dam yotes i will get him if he comes back up here though....

Gus
12-17-2005, 08:06 PM
what are you shooting for a coyote gun?

I'm shooting a 22-250 in a remington model 700. Can't really comment too much on it just yet seeing as I just got it, but I do know its fun to shoot. Went through a box of shell before I knew it

Redfrog
12-18-2005, 03:42 PM
I shoot a few different rifles for coyotes. I have a Ruger #1 in a 25.06 and one in a.223. The .223 is excellect for coyots out to 300yds. fur friendly and cheap to shoot. I use the 25.06 in the spring for rancher complaints. I'm not concerned about fur damage and I just want the coyote dead. Both of these are 1V models with a heavy barrel.

I also have 2 Heavy Varmint staimless/laminate Rugers. One is a 220 Swift and the other is a 204. The Swift is really my "GoTo" gun . It'is really hard for me to go calling and not take it. It is deadly accurate, long range and not bad on fur.

The 204 is a delight to shoot. Very little recoil, so I can see the hit. Very flat and fur friendly. I just never seem to get it out often enough and have been thinking about selling it lately.

willyqbc
12-18-2005, 05:14 PM
Well the Quesnel crew (me, Tank, Swamper) went out for our first day of yote hunting. Saw 4, 2 were on land we couldn't hunt, one was quicker than us and the fourth was mousing and met her maker thanks to a 58 grain V-max coming out of my Savage 99 in 243 a little under 3400fps. Gonna try and do a home tan on her and see how that goes. Also secured some more land that is supposedly loaded with dogs so you may hear more from us before the winter is done.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Coyote_2.JPG

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Coyote_1.JPG

Chris

Husky7mm
12-18-2005, 05:18 PM
Can a person expect to have action all day hunting coyotes or is it more of a morning/ evening activaty?

Marc
12-18-2005, 06:11 PM
Nice going Chris, I might start tinkering with some varming loads myself if nothing else it'll get me to the range for some target practice as you know all we have over here is wolves and they're next to impossible to find.

Marc.

ruger#1
12-18-2005, 06:18 PM
those yotes are small compared to the ones down here. these ones are eating dogs, and cross breading with them to.

willyqbc
12-18-2005, 06:29 PM
Ruger, she wasn't a very big dog. We do have lots of bigger dogs here, the two we saw on property we couldn't hunt were easily 2 to 3 times bigger than her. One looked like a small wolf. Just our bad luck that the bigger ones were where we couldn't get em!:redface:

Chris

Redfrog
12-18-2005, 06:32 PM
Can a person expect to have action all day hunting coyotes or is it more of a morning/ evening activaty?

It's like any kind of hunting. Some days are diamonds some are coal.

It depends on how much land you have access to, how many guys are hunting the area, how often you call the same place, how many driveby shooters, as well as numbers of coyotes.
The only rule of coyote calling is there are no rules, other than call where the coyotes are. After that there are some basic guidelines, but just when you think you have something that works, Mr. coyote has a way of humbling you.
Stand selection, wind,calls, weather, even sun all play a part along with a lot of other details.

todbartell
12-18-2005, 06:39 PM
nice going QBC

how did the 55 gr. NBT perform? exit hole?

trigger
12-18-2005, 06:41 PM
i went out today to this hot spot where i have seen lots of wolf tracks lately. I called for probably 20 mins when i saw a wolf limping in. he ended up going into this dip where i think he ended up getting my wind. needless to say i didnt see him again. but when i got up from my spot behind me where i had walked in were two fresh as fresh gets wolf tracks. so who knows. i got skunked. i ended up seeing 4 coyotes but couldnt shoot any of them. i did get 6 snowshoe hares today so i cant say i was completly skunked. just ordered the remington model 597 semi auto .22. should be here in a week. that should be a fun lil gun. any suggestions for a scope

trigger
12-18-2005, 06:44 PM
redfrog let me know if you want to sell it i might be interested

boonerbuck
12-18-2005, 06:47 PM
Nailed my first of the year this afternoon.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a294/boonerbuck/DSC00128.jpg

CanAm500
12-18-2005, 07:45 PM
Nice! What caliber did u use boonerbuck?

boonerbuck
12-18-2005, 08:46 PM
Nice! What caliber did u use boonerbuck?

I guess a few details are in order.;-)

I hit her at 175 yards-ish with a my M70 Coyote chambered in 243 Win loaded with 85 gr. Sierra Game King Hollow Points. Bullet travelled the length of the spine. Calls used were the Quaker Boy Howler and Ed Sceery Snowshoe hare. Yote shot about 2 PM and around -8, very sunny.:smile:

CanAm500
12-18-2005, 08:57 PM
What do you guys do with the animal after you shot it?

boonerbuck
12-18-2005, 09:58 PM
Everyone feels different about this question. This particular yote is useless because there's a fist size hole out it's back. If I have minimal damage, I'll hang them in my shed where they'll be frozen and then hopefully sell them once I have enough to make it worth the trip.

There's been several links on the various threads about where to sell the animals or there hide.

CanAm500
12-18-2005, 10:25 PM
Do you sell the whole yote or just the hide?

boonerbuck
12-18-2005, 10:39 PM
Some take the hide only, some take either or but you may only get $10 for a yote whole.

I've never sold them before. I don't feel guilty of disposing of them. I've never committed myself this much to predator hunting neither so now is the time to reconsider. Maybe if I get a few animals down I can get a return on my investment.

willyqbc
12-18-2005, 10:46 PM
firebird 58grn V-max....quartering away, pin hole in just behind the shoulder.....grapefruit size hole out the throat. Needless to say she dropped without so much as a twitch.:razz:

Chris

youngfellla
12-19-2005, 12:51 AM
I saw a couple 'yotes this afternoon out on Adams Lake. I was out marking a new quad trail and all I had was my Marlin 45/70 with iron sights, and some lazy factory 405 Remington loads. The closest was about 175-200 yards, so I just held high and started throwing lead out there. First four shots blew snow up in front and behind him, and wouldn't you know, the fifth shot nailed him in the shoulder( yeah, I know it was a fluke:grin: ), and put him down in his tracks. Needless to say, that is the first and probably the only coyote I'll ever kill with iron sights and a 45/70.:mrgreen:

I'm gonna have to break down and buy a digital camera, so I can post pics of these great hunting adventures.:grin:

boonerbuck
12-19-2005, 12:59 AM
You did a good job painting a visual for me though.:razz: :razz: :razz:

todbartell
12-19-2005, 01:12 AM
sounds like the lake has a bit of red paint on it too :mrgreen: good work

oh, and QBC, you probably have to push that Vmax 58 gr. alot faster for it to expand rapid enough to stay inside a coyote! good work also though :grin:

Gateholio
12-19-2005, 11:18 AM
hahah Nice mortar work, youngfella!:razz:

PGKris
12-19-2005, 12:42 PM
Yeah Gus!! One in the bag!

Fred
12-19-2005, 10:11 PM
hahah Nice mortar work, youngfella!:razz:

I was thinking artillery! :grin: Fred

Farmer
12-20-2005, 10:48 AM
Good job guys. Its nice to see the coyotes falling.
Ruger #1, you will find that most of the Fraser valley coyotes will be a lot smaller than interior yotes - by a fair amount. We have weighed a lot of local yotes over the past 15 years, and an average yote weighs 22 to 25lbs. We have only had 2 or 3 go over 30lbs out of over 60 we weighed. In the fall a lot will weigh 18 to 20lbs. These are probably young of the year.
Gord

CanAm500
12-20-2005, 01:27 PM
Is there yotes on the island?

3kills
12-20-2005, 02:29 PM
nope no yotes on the island just wolves...

CanAm500
12-20-2005, 03:30 PM
Can you get a tag for wolves?

Im just wondering because my dad might go out and buy a .243.

brotherjack
12-20-2005, 05:54 PM
Can you get a tag for wolves?

Im just wondering because my dad might go out and buy a .243.

According to page 10 of the Synopsis - No tags required for BC residents to hunt wolves. However, non BC residents are required to buy a $50 tag.

CanAm500
12-20-2005, 07:29 PM
Were do you find all the info for the tags and stuff?

brotherjack
12-20-2005, 07:31 PM
Were do you find all the info for the tags and stuff?

The BC Hunting and Trapping Synopsis, available online here: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wild/synopsis.htm

The thing on wolf licenses is on page 10.

troutseeker
12-20-2005, 09:07 PM
All right you buggers... I just traded a Marlin GG for a Ruger #1V in 22-250. Guess why? To try and get a few yotes this winter. I wont be able to start hunting until the first week of January. I have couple of mouth calls, a squeezy mouse call, a cheap electronic caller for which I am rigging a 100 yard of wire and some speakers.

Anyone with decent 22-250 loads?

Troutseeeker

ruger#1
12-20-2005, 09:15 PM
sorry farmer , i mean coy dogs, that is what we have here, and they are a lot bigger , and they do like to eat cats and dogs, i had one last month chasing my German short hair in the yard, and it drew blood. time to hang a halibut hook out and a big piece of chicken with braided wire, seems to work fine.

CanAm500
12-20-2005, 09:41 PM
The BC Hunting and Trapping Synopsis, available online here: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wild/synopsis.htm

The thing on wolf licenses is on page 10.
Arent these magazines free at like wally mart?Thanks for the info!

Marc
12-20-2005, 09:49 PM
they are free but the great thing about having it online is if you've got question about regulations you should first try finding them in the regulations before asking on here, it gets you used to looking for information in there. When I first moved here I was terrified at the new regulations because it's so big and different.Not having to wear hunters orange or being able to transport your rifle out of a case in your truck while driving through the province just floored me. The regulations are so different from region to region so you realy have to do your home work before you go hunting to make sure you don't shoot an "any buck" in a "4 point only" area or something of the sort.

Marc.

Fred
12-20-2005, 09:55 PM
All right you buggers... I just traded a Marlin GG for a Ruger #1V in 22-250. Guess why? To try and get a few yotes this winter. I wont be able to start hunting until the first week of January. I have couple of mouth calls, a squeezy mouse call, a cheap electronic caller for which I am rigging a 100 yard of wire and some speakers.

Anyone with decent 22-250 loads?

Troutseeeker

TS, the swat guys used to use the 22-250 for sniping. I would bet that they have worked up a load or 12! :mrgreen:
In the mean time try these, 69gr Sierra pushed by 32.5 grs of 4064, 60gr pushed by 33.7 grs of 4064 or a 55gr ahead of 35.2gr of 4064.
These loads are directly from the Sierra Manual #3 and I have come to trust their recommendations. Fred

brotherjack
12-20-2005, 10:21 PM
Arent these magazines free at like wally mart?Thanks for the info!

Yeah, the hardcopy's are free, and available probably anyplace that sells hunting tags has them, but the online version has two advantages:

1. it's searchable, so you can find every reference to the laws on any given critter within seconds (rather than having to flip pages and hope you didn't miss something).

2. You can have it downloaded in a few seconds (or minutes if you're on dialup), which is more than you can say for a trip to a store to go pick one up.

:)

troutseeker
12-20-2005, 10:32 PM
TS, the swat guys used to use the 22-250 for sniping. I would bet that they have worked up a load or 12! :mrgreen:
In the mean time try these, 69gr Sierra pushed by 32.5 grs of 4064, 60gr pushed by 33.7 grs of 4064 or a 55gr ahead of 35.2gr of 4064.
These loads are directly from the Sierra Manual #3 and I have come to trust their recommendations. Fred

Hi Fred, ERT uses .308 now and they strickly use some LE ammo (the guys have been shooting the same batch number for over 10 years). There is talk they will soon go the .300 WM.

Thanks for the loads, I just so happen to have a box of the Sierra's 69gr on my bench.

Cheers, Troutseeker

3kills
12-21-2005, 11:53 AM
Yeah, the hardcopy's are free, and available probably anyplace that sells hunting tags has them, but the online version has two advantages:

1. it's searchable, so you can find every reference to the laws on any given critter within seconds (rather than having to flip pages and hope you didn't miss something).

2. You can have it downloaded in a few seconds (or minutes if you're on dialup), which is more than you can say for a trip to a store to go pick one up.

:)

and 3. if there is updates or changes made through out the year they are update online...

CanAm500
12-21-2005, 04:14 PM
OK, thanks.

Camp Cook
12-21-2005, 07:54 PM
Back when the RCMP where still using 22-250's I had a shoot with the sniper from the Richmond RCMP.

He was using a factory Ruger rifle with 3x-9x Bushnell scope and factory loads. He was getting about 3" to 4" groups at 200 yards on average.

With my Ruger 22-250 and 55gr Sierra's with 36grs IMR4064 @ 3660fps average 4x-12x Bushnell scope my largest groups where averaging 1.5" at the same distance.

To say I wasn't impressed with his shooting and equipment would have been an understatement.

Cam

todbartell
12-21-2005, 11:26 PM
Troutseeker,

Id be inclined to try some 55 gr. bullets over Varget, RL15, IMR 4064, or H380

PGKris
12-28-2005, 02:16 PM
Got out yesterday!! Almost got one runnin down the road but he hit the ditch just as I got a shell in. Never did get a crack at him. I did stalk to about 200 yds from 2 or 3 that were howling up a storm but I couldn't get them to come out of the timber and I couldn't cross the field without getting busted so I waiting till almost dark going with the dead hare scream. They just kept yowling at me. Why woudn't they come out?? I was really hoping for a shot! Anyone know why they wouldn't show??

todbartell
12-28-2005, 02:54 PM
sounds like an eventful hunt :grin: there is many reasons why, but only the coyotes know for sure ;-) maybe they winded you or caught a glimse of you, or they were spooky from overcalling or? who really knows :razz:

maybe next time they hang up, try a howl, it could trigger the territorial instincts in them

boonerbuck
12-28-2005, 03:30 PM
sounds like an eventful hunt :grin: there is many reasons why, but only the coyotes know for sure ;-) maybe they winded you or caught a glimse of you, or they were spooky from overcalling or? who really knows :razz:

maybe next time they hang up, try a howl, it could trigger the territorial instincts in them

That was the last nail in the coffin for the yote before the holidays. She was hung up in the woods yapping at me and the hare distress calls just wouldn't get her to show. I barked out a couple of challenges, that got her knickers in a twist. She came right on on a pond to challenge me.

Gus
12-29-2005, 08:28 PM
When out looking for coyotes with pgkris today. Got a bunch howling right at first light, got two to come in. One stayed out and just sat down, the other came running in but neither of us got a shot as he disapeared in some brush below us. Suddenly he decided to bugger off and he took off across the field. The other one just sat there and I couldn't get him in any closer so I decided to try a shot. Just as he was about to walk I squeezed one off. The coyote bolted at the shot un-touched. The rest of the day was uneventful aside from helping a buddy get unstuck, ditching my own truck which we managed to get out, and busting my binoculars. Have to try again next week.

todbartell
12-30-2005, 08:15 PM
was out this afternoon, made 4 stands but 0 coyotes, in a new area for me.

PGKris
12-30-2005, 11:52 PM
Turns out Gus can't hit the broad side of a barn! Joking! He made a decent shot. We found some hair but no blood. Must have just grazed him.
You broke your binocs?? How'd you pull that off?? When we ditched the truck? Later
KRIS

todbartell
01-02-2006, 01:32 PM
I got out this morning, made one calling stand in a nice little spot consisting of a small section of trees bordering two fields. Nothing showed up.

Headed east, seeing coyote tracks on top of my boot tracks from last night. http://www.vf11.com/doomedyote/images/smiles/icon_mad.gif Set up to call, blowing on my Johnny Stewart PC1. I mixed in a howl too. After 15 minutes I got impatient and the sun was glaring in my face so I got up and headed to the shade of the timber 100 yards to the east. I got to the corner of the field and glanced north, spotting what looked like a brown muddy tire track on the snowy road bordering the field edge. I glassed it with my binoculars and noticed it wasnt mud, it was infact a reddish colored coyote! Standing watching me from approx 225 yards out. I had a brushy fence between me and him, so I had no shot with my Shooting Stix. I dropped them and quickly got to the fenceline, resting my m700 223 on a fencepost. I cranked my Burris to 9x and by then the coyote had grown tired of my antics and turned and began trotting away from me down the path. He quartered slightly and headed for the trees, 2 steps away when I pulled in front of him a bit and held 6" high and touched the trigger. The yote never flinched and was swallowed up by the bush in a second. http://www.vf11.com/doomedyote/images/smiles/icon_sad.gif I walked up but found no hair or blood or any sign of a connection. Just flat out missed him.

The load I shoot in this area is a special load to reduce sound, as there is people living relatively close and I don't want to disturb them any more than I have to. 40 gr. Barnes Varmin-A-Tor over 12 grains of BlueDot, for 2960 fps. Zero at 100 yards, it is best used at 200 yards, preferrably closer to 150. I checked the ballistic program when I got home and I'd bet anything I shot a hair over his back, by his ass, as I didn't lead him near enough at that range, even for a trotting yote at a quartering angle. http://www.vf11.com/doomedyote/images/smiles/icon_redface.gif

I will cross paths with him again. http://www.vf11.com/doomedyote/images/smiles/icon_mrgreen.gif

lip_ripper00
01-02-2006, 02:21 PM
do coyotes have multipule lives like cats? if so that puppy is missing one!!:-P

LOC
01-02-2006, 08:11 PM
went out over the new years weekend. Got to camp just after dark and the 'yote's were calling all around us. Got up the next morn'n and found tracks with'n 50 yards of camp. Tried out the new call I got for Christmas over the next few days and never heard / saw them again.

There was fresh tracks every morn'n though so the little buggerst were around... guess I just didn't sound good enough for them :cry:

Oh well, maybe I'll get out again and try something differnt..

todbartell
01-02-2006, 09:37 PM
keep at it, sometimes I wonder to myself what Im doing out there :-D :roll:

willyqbc
01-02-2006, 09:55 PM
Went out with Swamper this morning looking for the dogs and on the way to our first spot we decide to just cruise past a couple big pastures we have bowhunting access to.... sure enough theres a dog out with the livestock so we roll in behind a burm and quickly get set up with Swamper up front with his bow and me in behind with the squeeler working down and away from him to try and draw the dog across in front of him. Well that bugger came in at a full run till he hit the page wire fence about 60 yards out and didn't want to put in the effort to try and get through http://www.vf11.com/doomedyote/images/smiles/icon_sad.gif finally gave up on him and he trotted over a roll in the pasture so we decide to carry on to our original destination. We go about 100 yards and sight him again on the backside of the hill, except now theres 3 of them and we're in the middle of the road...in the truck....DOH!! got some decent film of them anyway! So we carry on to the first area we wanted to hunt...but... again...didn't make it and spotted ones head poking up over a rise in a different pasture we had gun access on. Hewas 325 yards out( i thought 250 http://www.vf11.com/doomedyote/images/smiles/icon_redface.gif )...could only see his head and he was staring right at us so i figured it was worth a shot, but at the shot he was into high gear and gone! Rest of the day in the area we had intended to hunt was uneventful but a good day all in all as we saw some dogs and secured permission on a few thousand more acres! http://www.vf11.com/doomedyote/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Chris

BigfishCanada
01-03-2006, 05:04 PM
Check these downlaods I found

http://downloads.western-rivers.com/sound.php

todbartell
01-03-2006, 05:30 PM
thanks for the link!

Husky7mm
01-03-2006, 05:50 PM
"Got to camp just after dark and the 'yote's were calling all around us. Got up the next morn'n and found tracks with'n 50 yards of camp. Tried out the new call I got for Christmas over the next few days and never heard / saw them again."

Those coyotes Knew you were there calling perhaps; they can be a smart animal. You want to be away from camp/ vehicle, calls are great but its nothing with out a good set up. Your calls should impersonate the game in the area.Good luck!

willyqbc
01-08-2006, 04:55 PM
Well the Quesnel crew has taken yote #2...this time Swamper was the trigger man. I will post up entry/exit photo's and load info etc in the appropriate section for those interested. Shot was approx 100 yards off-hand and quartering away....swamper made a perfect shot and the dog was down within 20 yards

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/chris_H_yote1.jpg

chris

PGKris
01-08-2006, 08:42 PM
Sweet yote!!!

Gus
01-08-2006, 10:44 PM
Well the Quesnel crew has taken yote #2...this time Swamper was the trigger man. I will post up entry/exit photo's and load info etc in the appropriate section for those interested. Shot was approx 100 yards off-hand and quartering away....swamper made a perfect shot and the dog was down within 20 yards

Was this dog called in?

talver
01-08-2006, 11:05 PM
this yote huntin thing looks like fun I said I would not buy another rifle but im second guessing myself. yote hunting would fill the void in the winter, between spring bear and fall big game

swamper
01-09-2006, 04:11 PM
No Gus, it was more a spot and shoot situation. Last week we called one in from 350 yards but he held up at 60 yards on the wrong side of a page wire fence, was hoping for a bow kill.

willyqbc
01-09-2006, 04:49 PM
talver it definately is fun....this is our first year at it and we are screwing up more than we succeed for sure but we're havin a heck of a good time learning the fine art!:grin:

Chris

todbartell
01-09-2006, 07:44 PM
went out this afternoon for yotes. fresh yote tracks on the way in. could hear a few howling in the bush behind the field to the east. I set up to call and howled and used distress calls for probably 30 minutes or more before I headed further east to where I shot my first one I called in this December, saw about 70 deer I'd say. few decent mulies (smaller 4pt) but one NICE whitetail around 400 yards out, ears width at least. then I headed back to the truck the long way, and there were more deer, but they were focused on something down the road. I could see something on the road, glassed it, and saw it was a yote trotting towards me a couple hundred yards out. due to me being downhill I couldnt see it from any postion other than freehand. http://www.vf11.com/doomedyote/images/smiles/icon_sad.gif

yote crossed into the field, I had a shitload of ditch grass in the way between me and him. I tried to slide down into the ditch to get clear of the grass but when I got to a spot I *might* of been able to see from. Maverick had pegged me at approx 150 yards and turned on the afterburns Mach 3 over the hill and out of sight.

I headed down the road to my truck, my heart was goin pretty good. who knew a guy'd get so wound up over a 30 lb dog most people see as pests. http://www.vf11.com/doomedyote/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif got to the truck and howled a bit, got alot of responses on all 4 directions, to the northeast was the closest. lots of yoties in the area for sure, cant wait for my fx3 http://www.vf11.com/doomedyote/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif :mad:

Maxx
01-09-2006, 07:51 PM
good story firebird, you had my heart going just with the story. As for the FX3, what are you hearing? I have not been contacted on a delivery date, other than the original promise of 2 weeks?

todbartell
01-09-2006, 08:56 PM
hoping before Febuary, but I really have no idea

I guess all the big US stores like Cabela's and such swamped the understaffed FoxPro with orders, and combined with Xmas, really slowed down orders going out.

I hope to have it for the last 2 months of the season...:-|

Maxx
01-09-2006, 10:03 PM
That sucks, I may cancel my order if it takes that long.

trigger
01-10-2006, 10:18 AM
im almost thinking about canceling mine and trying one of them bandits. probably be able to sell it on ebay if i dont like it.

todbartell
01-10-2006, 01:00 PM
I'm gonna sit tough and hope it arrives sooner rather than...:neutral:

boonerbuck
01-10-2006, 11:23 PM
I took this one this evening.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a294/boonerbuck/yote2003.jpg

Thunderstix
01-11-2006, 08:12 AM
Excellent! Wish we had yotes up this way.

todbartell
01-11-2006, 02:31 PM
well I first went out December 4th, had a yote slip by me when walking to my spot. Before I could get my rifle ready, he was in the bush. Later that morning I called in a female to 70 yards and shot her with my 260 Remington. On the 12th of December I got out again in the same spot, and spotted a coyote at close to 500 yards. I tried to call him in but he just walked off into the bush. Was gone for the Xmas holidays and didn't get out from the 12th of Dec to the 30th. A couple dry hunts in late December for me. On Jan 2nd I spotted a yote along the edge of a field and made a hail mary running shot at approx 225 yards seconds before the yote made it into the trees. :( This past Monday, the 9th, I made it out and spotted a yote along a road bordering a field, but a wall of ditch grass made any shot near impossible, and the yote took off when I tried to move into better shooting position. Needless to say I was getting my ass kicked by these coyotes

This morning I hit the field at about 8:30, made one calling stand overlooking a creek bottom, with no luck. Made another stand along a field edge with fresh yote tracks running the edge, again with no luck. Headed a half mile east and made another stand in the corner of a small field, using my pup distress. Nothing showed up so I headed north, cutting no fresh tracks.

I began hunting my way back to the truck when I spotted something out of place in the middle of an uncut alfalfa field approx 400 yards from me. I glassed it and realized it was a coyote. I tried using distress calls to bring it closer but it showed little interest. After 5 minutes of it standing there with only its head showing, I tried to close the distance. Obviously calling wasnt working. I had crept to probably 300 yards from it when I noticed a second yote. They began to get a bit nervous and trotting slowly away, stopping occasionally. I got a bit closer, found a dirt mound on the bushline to crawl up on, gaining a bit of elevation. I steadied my 223 in my shooting stix and followed the nearest yote in my crosshairs. When it turned broadside, I estimated range at 250 yards, held the coyote between the 200y and 300y Plex's on my Burris Ballistic Plex scope, and squeezed. The 55 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip instantly sent the coyote into the death spin. After a few seconds it gathered its footing and heading left to right at Mach 2, finally dissapearing from sight in the tall uncut field. Yote #2 was nowhere to be seen.

I had dropped a call about 150 yards back up my tracks so I left my rifle and walked back to grab it. On my way back to my rifle I spot yote #2 standing on the edge of the field straight ahead, about 200 yards from my rifle! I run to my rifle but the coyote sees me and starts running away from me, hits the fenceline, then heads left to right towards where yote #1 dissapeared. (I learned to not leave my rifle alone ever! :doh: ). I got to my rifle, chambered a fresh round, followed the loping yote until it stopped to look back at me, at approx 300-350 yards. I held the 3rd Plex on its chest and fired. At the shot, the coyote paused for half a nano second, then lit the afterburners and was in the bush within 3 seconds.

I walked up to where I shot at the first one and found the impact. Quite a bit of blood splattered on the alfalfa and the snow. 60 yards later I find him, a 26 lb male. Perfect heart shot, and the bullet exited with a toonie sized hole. 1.5 miles of dragging and I was back at the truck. This was my first kill with my 223 (it hasn't been hunted much) and to say the least, I am quite pleased with its performance!

From where I shot
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Jan_11_06_002.jpg

26 lb male ~ 250 yards with 223 Rem
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Jan_11_06_005.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Jan_11_06_011.jpg

NEEHAMA
01-11-2006, 04:08 PM
nice work, looks like a nice little yote spot.

btw, those Rem's sure are a nice looking gun. is that one of those laminate stocks? very nice gun.

Thunderstix
01-11-2006, 04:12 PM
Right on Mark! Looks like a real bloody one!

Tank
01-11-2006, 04:17 PM
Very nice! What load are you using in your 223? I thought that it was possible to consistantly stop a round inside a yote with that cal.

Gus
01-11-2006, 04:59 PM
Good job FB. Your getting more action than I am so far.

todbartell
01-11-2006, 05:17 PM
NEEHAMA, yes it is a laminated stock I bought off of Eagleye on this site. I really like laminated stocks, for strength, stability, looks, and warmth.

What load are you using in your 223? I thought that it was possible to consistantly stop a round inside a yote with that cal.

I am shooting 55 gr. Nosler BT's over 25.6 grs. Hodgdon Benchmark. Velocity is somewhere around 3200 fps and change. With 40 & 50 gr. I think they are more prone to blow up inside the coyote, but the 55's are a bit better if you hit some heavier bone. The hole isnt all that big, maybe toonie sized exit. Keep in mind impact velocity was around 2300 fps, which tames the explosiveness of the bullet a bit, and makes it perform more like a regular hunting bullet.

Like I said, very pleased with the performance. :mrgreen:

trigger
01-11-2006, 08:38 PM
Thats a beauty rifle . i must admit i like the lamanit stocks aswell. i like that with the stainless barrel.

K-1
01-11-2006, 08:42 PM
Has anyone tried useing lure or decoy dogs to bring in "yotes" I have seen them used in some hunting videos and was just wondering if anybody has tried it.

PGKris
01-11-2006, 10:17 PM
Sweet shooting. Lots of blood :D

3kills
01-11-2006, 10:27 PM
Has anyone tried useing lure or decoy dogs to bring in "yotes" I have seen them used in some hunting videos and was just wondering if anybody has tried it.

i have heard of people using small stuffed animals for decoys....

way to go mark on another yote...

LOC
01-16-2006, 01:24 PM
Thinking of getting out for a day this weekend. Maybe Skagit Valley or Chilliwack (post cr.) and do a little snowshoeing. Anyone hunted either? Any luck? Any other suggestions (I'm trying stay withing a 3hr drive of home)?

boonerbuck
01-16-2006, 04:25 PM
Called out a double yesterday and blew the shot damn it. Nothing was wounded so I had a good laugh at my own expence.

PGKris
01-17-2006, 10:43 AM
Heading to the lake today to do some fishin/calling. Hopefully can bang one on-ice.

brotherjack
01-17-2006, 10:58 AM
Dang it - there's a whole pack of coyotes across the road from my house right this very minute, and the neighbour from up that way ain't into letting me hunt on his property. Sounds like they've got a deer or something down; they're making a heck of a racket. I can just see a couple of them way deep in the brush with my binoc's.

Maybe this is a good day to get out and try my hand at coyote hunting a little farther up the road where the crown land starts; they're obviously not afraid to get out and about at the moment...

brotherjack
01-17-2006, 10:59 AM
Speaking of coyotes, did anyone ever determine if there was someone in the kootenay valley who bought hides and/or carcasses?

boonerbuck
01-17-2006, 11:18 AM
Dang it - there's a whole pack of coyotes across the road from my house right this very minute, and the neighbour from up that way ain't into letting me hunt on his property. Sounds like they've got a deer or something down; they're making a heck of a racket. I can just see a couple of them way deep in the brush with my binoc's.

Maybe this is a good day to get out and try my hand at coyote hunting a little farther up the road where the crown land starts; they're obviously not afraid to get out and about at the moment...

Definitely get over there and try and call them. They come in more aggressive when they're packed up like that. Try a lone howl and if that don't work try some distress calls. Let the lead dog get close enough so you can get a shot at a second or even a third coming in behind.:mrgreen:

todbartell
01-17-2006, 01:39 PM
hopefully my Foxpro will be in my hands by week end. :-)

trigger
01-17-2006, 01:51 PM
hey firebird. have you heard from the staff at foxpro. did they say if they were on there way or not? im getting kind of anxious

todbartell
01-17-2006, 02:48 PM
got a phone call from the Canadian Dealer for FoxPro and he said it was leaving Alberta this morning, heading my way ExpressPost :grin:

trigger
01-17-2006, 03:38 PM
thats awesome. post the results. i reccon you will be out all weekend if it comes in. Where did you order it from? i did not realize there wasa canadian dept.

todbartell
01-17-2006, 04:35 PM

jrenaud@telusplanet.net

Jim is the Canadian distributor for FoxPro, he is in Alberta.

3kills
01-17-2006, 06:21 PM
i seen two yotes this afternoon...to bad i was on the highway on my way home from school :(

PGKris
01-19-2006, 02:07 PM
No go at the lake. All I heard was a couple howls over yonder down the lake. Although I did see two black specs running across the lake after dark. Not sureif they were wolves of yotes. Impossible to tell.

todbartell
01-19-2006, 02:24 PM
FoxPro is in my hands and I'm out the door for its first hunt! :D

lip_ripper00
01-19-2006, 02:42 PM
jeez about time don't they know how much we have anticpated it's arrival?!!!!!!!! Go get something!!:p

Elkhound
01-19-2006, 03:04 PM
jeez about time don't they know how much we have anticpated it's arrival?!!!!!!!! Go get something!!:p

What he said.......:lol:

PGKris
01-19-2006, 03:15 PM
Go Go Go!!!!

trigger
01-19-2006, 05:45 PM
man i envey you. go get em. hurry up and let us know how you made out.

todbartell
01-19-2006, 07:56 PM
I got a phonecall this morning from Boonerbuck, who greeted me with squeelching screams of rabbit in distress calls from his freshly arrived FoxPro FX3. As soon as I got off the phone with him I jumped in my pickup and headed down to the post office. I turned the key in my PO Box and slooowly peeked behind the door. There it was, a parcel pickup notification!!

I got home and got my new FX3 full of batteries. I had some lunch then hit the road around 2pm, heading to a spot Ive been to a few times this winter already.

I exited my truck, geared up, and headed to a spot I thought might be a good spot for a calling stand. I set my FX3 up 100 yards upwind of me, hit the remote, and started calling.
http://usera.imagecave.com/ws6/Jan_19_06001.jpg
After 20 minutes on stand, nothing showing, I went silent and waited a bit more and then packed up the FX3 and headed a half KM to my next stand.

I set up with my back along a fencepost looking over a small field bordered on 2 sides by a brushy swamp, and the other 2 sides bush. The caller was 100 yards out in the field on a small rise. I started with a female invitation howl and then after a few minutes of silence I went to the snowshoe distress. Nothing but a mulie doe came out to investigate the noise.
http://usera.imagecave.com/ws6/Jan_19_06003.jpg
I was winding down this stand after 15 minutes or so, and tried a few more howls, this time a male interrogation bark/howl, along with the rabbit being shredded by coyote sound. I switched to a fairly quiet rodent in distress sound to slow the pace down and wait for another 5 minutes before packing up and leaving. A few minutes after starting the rodent in distress I noticed something in the corner of my eye, 60 yards upwind along the field edge.

Wow that is one big coyote I thought. There he was, standing on the edge of the field looking towards my FX3. He began to trot out into the field heading for the caller when I tried to mute my remote, but didnt manage to shut it up. I was trying to make the damn thing stop so he would stop and offer me a standing shot! Well he stopped at 30 yards from the caller, and I got my rifle on him, set up rock solid in my Steady Stix. One quick glance through the scope made me think that it looked like a wolf, but the crack of the 223 and the whomp of the Ballistic Tip hitting canine snapped my train of thought. 75 yard shot, broadside, he starts into the death spin, biting at himself. Three of four spins and he was on the ground, a few kicks later and he was done for good.
http://usera.imagecave.com/ws6/Jan_19_06004.jpg

I switched my caller on loud with the wounded coyote sound, but after a couple minutes nothing showed so I headed towards the fallen dog. As I got closer to it I could see it was indeed a wolf! The feet were a dead giveaway from 15 yards away.
http://usera.imagecave.com/ws6/Jan_19_06005.jpg

todbartell
01-19-2006, 07:57 PM
He's a nice male, about 80 lbs or so. The 55 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip out of my m700 LVSF 223 hit him behind the shoulder and exited the far side. This FoxPro FX3 is the real deal folks.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Jan_19_06_007.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Jan_19_06_009.jpg

Gus
01-19-2006, 08:06 PM
Nice peice of work FB. Sounds like that fox-pro will do the trick.

lip_ripper00
01-19-2006, 09:07 PM
Oh YA!!!!!:-p

Tank
01-19-2006, 09:08 PM
Nice to have the Fox-pro pay for itself first day out! Congrats!!!!

PGKris
01-20-2006, 12:01 AM
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!! You gonna get him scored??

bochunk2000
01-20-2006, 12:12 AM
Nice wolf fire bird. That new gizmo seems to be worth the money. Keep us up dated. Steve.

cowboy-up69
01-20-2006, 03:14 AM
Thats awesome Firebird!!! Nice pics too! Keep us updated with the new toy!!!

Cliff

MB_Boy
01-20-2006, 09:32 AM
Firebird.....awesome work!!! You gotta pitch that story to the manufacturer....first day out!!

Congrats!

Elkhound
01-20-2006, 10:44 AM
Firebird.....awesome work!!! You gotta pitch that story to the manufacturer....first day out!!

Congrats!

+1. Thats awesome.

trigger
01-20-2006, 12:42 PM
man thats is awesome. i cant friggen wait, till mine gets in. i like the pics. nice area. i have a place that looks just like that spot with the log piles. keep bringing the updates.

PGKris
01-20-2006, 01:05 PM
Goin out tonight. Goin back to N. Nechako to avenge Gus. :D

Gus
01-20-2006, 01:26 PM
Goin out tonight. Goin back to N. Nechako to avenge Gus. :D

Let me know what happens.

boonerbuck
01-20-2006, 09:28 PM
The first 2 hours with my new Foxpro FX3 I called in a single then a triple. This thing kicks ass!:grin:

PGKris
01-23-2006, 12:54 PM
Absolutely nothing. Seen four moose. That's it. No yotes. You scared 'em all away!

Maxx
01-23-2006, 01:12 PM
Booner- What calls were you using?

boonerbuck
01-23-2006, 03:11 PM
Booner- What calls were you using?

Did you get yours?

First set I started of with a couple of interrogation howls and waited and went with a couple of series of snowshoe hare distress. After a while I heard some way of howls and I went with the howls. 1/2 hour later a big male roamed in and I then I got him closer with the snshhr distress. I lost him in the reeds eventually not to be seen again.

The next set I went straight to the snshhr distress and then went to the baby snowshoe hare distress. After the ravens were done attacking it i had a triple come in. That's another story though.

Ricky
01-23-2006, 03:13 PM
What calibre rifle were you shooting?

Ricky

Maxx
01-23-2006, 03:16 PM
Thanks booner, mine is shipping today. I got the jack in the box as well, hope this combo works well,

we should get together as a group with all the callers, be fun to see how they work in groups.

boonerbuck
01-23-2006, 03:23 PM
What calibre rifle were you shooting?

Ricky

I have a pair of 243's I use for predator hunting.

NEEHAMA
01-23-2006, 05:19 PM
NICE WOLF, i'm think i'm going to get into this type of hunting.

PGKris
02-07-2006, 09:33 PM
Noone hunting yotes lately? What's up FB you break a leg or something?? I'm heading out monday the 13th to the cabin for 2 days. Should be able to get a couple.
KRIS

Ricky
02-07-2006, 09:55 PM
He lost his lisense due to speeding

boonerbuck
02-07-2006, 11:31 PM
Heres's my last 2 yotes.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a294/boonerbuck/DSC00158.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a294/boonerbuck/savageantlers011.jpg

PGKris
02-07-2006, 11:32 PM
Ohhhhhh not good. Got one of those pesky tickets a while back myself. Lead foot in the ford. I'll shoot one for ya FB ;)

PGKris
02-07-2006, 11:33 PM
Nice yotes. Got the first one right in the ears eh?

todbartell
02-08-2006, 12:28 PM
yeah this past 10 days I havent been out at all, no wheels :grin: :roll:

might be going out later this week, and in 10 days or so it sounds like I will be getting a visit from Boonerbuck, so we will get out a few days :razz:

Gus
02-08-2006, 04:46 PM
Went out on sunday. Only got action at one set up. We had 5 or 6 howling back at us but none would come in. We got a pretty good idea of how many there were because they were howling all around us, not from just one location. One did come close but we couldn't pick him out of the bush. We only seen two all day and both were behind farmers fences. We seen about 12 moose though.

PGKris
02-10-2006, 10:36 AM
You'd never shoot across a farmer's fence would you :roll: :mrgreen:

Gus
02-10-2006, 01:45 PM
You'd never shoot across a farmer's fence would you :roll: :mrgreen:

Not with out permission of course.

boonerbuck
02-15-2006, 08:36 PM
Called in four to one set tonight. I'm only 1 for 4 though.:tongue:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a294/boonerbuck/savageantlers027.jpg

Gus
02-15-2006, 10:53 PM
that fox-pro seems to do the trick eh.

PGKris
02-15-2006, 11:55 PM
Better shell out another $600 and get one. No luck at the lake. Only seen one.

trigger
02-16-2006, 07:07 PM
ohhhhhhhhhhh man. just got my new fx3 in the mail. guess where i will be tomorrow. i will keep u posted. oh man im so excited

todbartell
02-17-2006, 11:47 AM
good luck Trigger with your new FX3

I will finally be able to go out and do some coyote hunting again this coming week, as it seems Boonerbuck is going to come up my way for some hunting :grin: I haven't been out since late January :-|

boonerbuck
02-17-2006, 08:51 PM
good luck Trigger with your new FX3

I will finally be able to go out and do some coyote hunting again this coming week, as it seems Boonerbuck is going to come up my way for some hunting :grin: I haven't been out since late January :-|

Sorry, decided to go hunting with Gatehouse again instead. Maybe next year.:mrgreen:

todbartell
02-19-2006, 12:15 AM
ha :lol:

ha :-D

...hah :shock:

todbartell
02-21-2006, 07:30 AM
well Boonerbuck is here, and we're about to go out for a full day of hunting

I hope to have something to report back later this evening :roll: :lol:

boonerbuck
02-22-2006, 06:16 PM
I'll report that mt ass got wet and eventually my underwear froze stiff and I am raw you know where!

PGKris
02-22-2006, 10:16 PM
That good eh! :lol:

Elkhound
02-23-2006, 11:08 AM
I'll report that mt ass got wet and eventually my underwear froze stiff and I am raw you know where!

I have heard that hunting with Firebird will do that to you:razz:

3kills
02-23-2006, 01:20 PM
sounds like u got off lucky booner...

todbartell
02-26-2006, 01:32 AM
well, Booner survived his frozen ass, and we're back from the Skeena region, and I managed to get myself two yotes down :-D

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Skeena_06_004.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Skeena_06_015.jpg

3kills
02-26-2006, 01:40 PM
nice way to go

Gus
02-26-2006, 06:49 PM
Nice peice of work FB

trigger
02-26-2006, 08:19 PM
Out this evening and got this fella.
What a night. seen 2 wolves. Only called in this one and the other one was on the road. he got away. but man was he big. this one i think is about 70, 80 lbs. http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e368/trigger22/DSC00320.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e368/trigger22/DSC00320.jpg

Gus
02-26-2006, 08:42 PM
Good job trigger, what ya shoot em with?

huntwriter
02-26-2006, 09:20 PM
Nice critter, nice predator call too.

trigger
02-27-2006, 12:41 AM
got him with a 22-250 model 700 vs. hes alittle bit shaggy but not bad. I cant wait to get out tomorrow and look for the big guy. holy crap was he ever big im guessing in the 100 lb range.

todbartell
02-27-2006, 08:55 AM
awesome work Trigger :grin:

boonerbuck
02-27-2006, 10:36 AM
Here's my two from our trip.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a294/boonerbuck/northernyote004.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a294/boonerbuck/northernyote009.jpg

NEEHAMA
02-27-2006, 11:01 AM
nice shooting! that second dog has a red collar? what is that all about?
is that like bird bands but for yotes?

PGKris
02-27-2006, 12:44 PM
??????????????????????????? Collar? What the hey???

boonerbuck
02-27-2006, 01:18 PM
I don't know? I thought maybe it got it's head through a dog collar some how. I'm pretty sure it's a yote? It came into our calls.

Fred
02-28-2006, 12:42 AM
It might have been a pet yote gone ferel again. If so it is better off the way you made it. Fred

todbartell
02-28-2006, 01:34 PM
heres one I called in this morning with my Fx3. 20 seconds after turning on the SnowShoe distress, I spot this guy racing in. Muted the call, he stopped @ 145 yards, and I put him down with my 223 LVSF

http://usera.imagecave.com/ws6/Feb_28_06005.jpg

Gus
02-28-2006, 05:11 PM
Your starting to drop them left and right there Firebird. Good job.

ianwuzhere
02-28-2006, 05:45 PM
good stuff firebird- Are you west of the hoof? i live in pg

boonerbuck
02-28-2006, 05:49 PM
No collar?

Remember the bet, $5 a collar!

todbartell
02-28-2006, 06:09 PM
good stuff firebird- Are you west of the hoof? i live in pg

I live in Vanderhoof, most of my hunting is done west of town. This one was shot within 10 minutes of downtown :)

3kills
02-28-2006, 06:19 PM
is that snow on him firebird or a hole through him...

todbartell
02-28-2006, 06:24 PM
that'd be some snow stuck to his pelt, Im not hunting them with a 50 BMG :lol:

boonerbuck
03-01-2006, 04:46 PM
Another puppy down for me. This one is in the best shape yet. No exit wound.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a294/boonerbuck/noexitwound002.jpg