PDA

View Full Version : Smoking Kokanees ?

BIGHUNTERFISH
06-18-2009, 06:07 PM
We have been out catching Kokanee lately and I love to eat them.I have never smoked them before so I was wondering if any of you guys have a good recipe for smoking Kokanee ?I was wondering what kind of brine to use,should I fillet the fish or smoke them whole and what type of smoking chips and length of time should I smoke them for.I thank you in advance for any recipes or tips you have.:p

whitespringer
06-18-2009, 06:58 PM
Kokanee are land locked Sockeye, so I would do them the same as Salmon. Keep in mind that the flesh will be thinner than Salmon. Depending on how dry you like it, will determine how long you smoke it for. Brown sugar, pickling/kosher salt, soya sauce. Alder all the way.
My two cents...:smile:

Phreddy
06-18-2009, 07:31 PM
What Whitespringer said, only use willow. Used it when I guided up island and have never gone back to alder or anything else.

ferndogger
06-18-2009, 08:30 PM
I read somewhere that you shouldnt smoke freshwater fish, it could make you sick. I could be wrong, but thought I would throw it out there.

tomahawk
06-18-2009, 08:57 PM
I read somewhere that you shouldnt smoke freshwater fish, it could make you sick. I could be wrong, but thought I would throw it out there.

Never heard of that before, actually I would have died long ago with the amount of fresh water fish I have smoked and ate.

Phil
06-18-2009, 09:16 PM
Kokanee are land locked Sockeye, so I would do them the same as Salmon. Keep in mind that the flesh will be thinner than Salmon. Depending on how dry you like it, will determine how long you smoke it for. Brown sugar, pickling/kosher salt, soya sauce. Alder all the way.
My two cents...:smile:

What he said.......I smoke it like that too.

shantz
06-18-2009, 09:31 PM
Smoked Kokanee is awesome. I have a bunch in my freezer and i even canned some. Another vote for alder.

Good Luck

silvertipp
06-18-2009, 10:33 PM
stick with alder dont brine to long & make sure you fan them

NaStY
06-19-2009, 05:58 AM

Ya ok, ive eaten more smoked trout than i care to remember.

Amazing what was once food is now "not good for you" yet we never had any ill effects...:biggrin:

rocksteady
06-19-2009, 07:22 AM
Send a PM to Ddog...He walked me through the whole process (I still have not got around to it mind you) seems to his stuff...