PDA

View Full Version : Eating crayfish

ferndogger
06-18-2009, 03:39 PM
Anyone else on here eat crayfish? Got any good recipes for these tasty little things?

JeremyCarrano302
06-18-2009, 03:51 PM
ya there good eating
cook them like shrimp and prawns but i add a bit of beer in the water if your just boiling them and but butter and garlic plus on them

Gateholio
06-18-2009, 04:02 PM
I'd eat them all day if I could get them around here:biggrin:

I copied this recipe off the net, but it's the same as I've ever done "shrimp boils" pretty much...It looks really good!

Ingredients

1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
1 tablespoon whole coriander seeds
2 tablespoons whole cloves
1 1/2 tablespoons whole allspice
5 gallons waterhttp://a19.g.akamai.net/7/19/7125/1450/Ocellus.coupons.com/_images/showlist_icon.gif
1 pound kosher salt
4 tablespoons cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons garlic powderhttp://a19.g.akamai.net/7/19/7125/1450/Ocellus.coupons.com/_images/showlist_icon.gif
2 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon dried dill weed
6 bay leaves, crumbled
10 pounds live crawfishhttp://a19.g.akamai.net/7/19/7125/1450/Ocellus.coupons.com/_images/showlist_icon.gif
3 pounds small red potatoes, cut in 1/2, if larger than 2-inches in diameter
8 ears corn, halved
2 heads garlic, unpeeled, but separated
1 pound andouille sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces Directions

Place the peppercorns, coriander, clove, and allspice into a spice grinder and grind for 10 to 15 seconds.
Fill a 40-quart pot with 5 gallons of water and add the freshly ground spices, salt, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, thyme, oregano, dry mustard, dill weed, and bay leaves. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat, approximately 40 minutes.
Rinse the crawfish thoroughly in the bag in which they arrived to remove excess dirt and mud. Put the crawfish in a large container and fill with cool water. Stir to remove dirt from the crawfish. Transfer small batches of crawfish to a colander and rinse under cool running water. Pick out any debris or dead crawfish. Once all crawfish have been rinsed, discard dirty water, and return the crawfish to the container. Repeat this process 6 to 8 times, or until the water is clear.
Once the seasoned water comes to a boil, add the potatoes, corn, garlic, and sausage. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
Add the crawfish, cover, and cook for 3 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow the pot to sit, covered, for 10 minutes. Drain well and serve immediately.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/crawfish-boil-recipe/index.html

ferndogger
06-18-2009, 04:22 PM
Mmmmmmmmmmmm. that recipe sounds really good. thanks.

ferndogger
06-18-2009, 04:27 PM
Hey Gatehouse, what restaurant do you chef at?

ruger#1
06-18-2009, 04:46 PM
Use this as a dip for them mix ketchup with miraclewhip just until it is pink. Used to catch lots of them on the salmon river.

wolverine
06-18-2009, 05:18 PM
Do em just like prawns. Blanche them, then garlic butter over medium heat until the meat is just opaque... not full blown white. They should have almost a little crunch to them when you bite into one. That's when they are done just enough. Too many people cook the shite out of fish and seafood and it just ruins it.

Evolution
06-18-2009, 05:35 PM
They will have a firmer texture if you freeze them before you blanche them. I used to catch them all the time in the Stamp River. They are easy to catch while youre fishing. Cameron river has plenty of them too. Just make a mini prawn trap, throw it into a deep pool with a rotten fish head in it and you should get enough to eat with in a few hours.

ratherbefishin
06-18-2009, 08:08 PM
I made a crayfish trap, baited it with fish heads,came back next morning and my trap was ripped to bits-I figure it was an otter going after the trapped crayfish

Gateholio
06-18-2009, 08:51 PM
Hey Gatehouse, what restaurant do you chef at?

I look after a couple of restaurants in 2 hotels in Whistler. One is an upscale pub, the other hotel has a private lounge for the guests.

Gateholio
06-18-2009, 08:54 PM
Do em just like prawns. Blanche them, then garlic butter over medium heat until the meat is just opaque... not full blown white. They should have almost a little crunch to them when you bite into one. That's when they are done just enough. Too many people cook the shite out of fish and seafood and it just ruins it.

x2!!!

So much seafood is DESTROYED by overcooking...It's a damn shame.

I am so disappointed when someone gives me a piece of salmon that has the white oil leeched completely out of it, and it's drier than a popcorn fart. All they had to do was stop cooking a few minutes earlier...It's not complicated...

ferndogger
06-18-2009, 09:56 PM
I look after a couple of restaurants in 2 hotels in Whistler. One is an upscale pub, the other hotel has a private lounge for the guests.

Cool, I lived in Whistler for 6 years. Which restaurants to you run? Great place, but it was getting way to busy for me with all this olympic stuff. Pemberton is a great town though.

squamishmiles
06-19-2009, 06:27 AM
Where around the sea to sky can you find cray fish???

spreerider
06-20-2009, 08:17 PM
i get them in the stamp river and cameron river, been a while, i should go put one out this week, kids love catching a big jar full of crays

coquitlam
06-20-2009, 08:50 PM
Tons in Jones lake