PDA

View Full Version : My First Archery Bear

bochunk2000
06-16-2009, 12:45 AM
A few of us went out this last weekend to hunt for some bears. We had some new hunters with us and we were trying to see if we could get them a first bear. I was also trying to get my first with a bow. The first night we went out about 7:00 after we set up camp. I was alone as I was on a motorbike so I went off to find yogi or just some good area to take a nebie the next morning. Well I rode way up this mountain side and found a good place to get off and take the bow for a walk. After about 40 mins I could just see tons of area to go look at. I was headed back to the bike to go look at these huge cuts. On the way back I was making good time not really being quiet at all when I see this black thing moving in the bushes on the left side of the road. I ranged the bush and it was 62 yrds. I have been practising a lot and my groups are inside 6" at 60 yrds but I wanted to be closer. I started to sneak closer "CRUNCH" my boot on the gravel. I froze. No notice from the bear. I backed up and got down into th ditch and took off my boots and pack. I quietly closed the distace to about 40 yrds (comfortable range) but as I did the bear crossed the road. Now I could see that it was not very big. I had already calmed my adrenaline rush while I was taking off my boots but I was still eager to get my first with a bow, after many with a rifle. I froze at the edge of the road until it had made its crossing. As it was eating on the right side of the road it moved in behind another bush. I used the bush as cover and made my stalk. I could see it moving around through the bush as I approached and I got up very close. Even though I knew it was going to be a top pin shot I ranged a log I could see. 29 yrds. The bear was less than half of the way there. I came to full draw and stepped out from behind the bush. Still totally unaware of me presence the bear turned broadside and then slightly quartering away. I lined up the pin and let my arrow go. Instantly the bear let out a loud huff as my 125 gr 3 blade Muzzy passed through the vital and smashed into the far shoulder. It jumped up spun and started to run it fell once for a split second before it piled up on the side of the road less than 20 yrds from where it stood. I knocked another arrow and watched to see if it would move again. Nope!

I was very happy to have stalked so close and taken my first bear with a bow. Now to quote a friend "Next time I will have to get one that didn't have its mama's nipple in its mouth."
It really was alone though.:grin:
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w94/bochunk2000/bearhunt021.jpg

chilcotin hillbilly
06-16-2009, 07:02 AM
They all count. Good job on the first bow bear kill.

jrjonesy
06-16-2009, 08:14 AM
Congrats and well placed shot. Good story, Nice stalk.

leadpillproductions
06-16-2009, 08:39 AM
good job i think i will have to try for one with a bow

Bow Walker
06-16-2009, 08:44 AM
Good for you Steve! :biggrin:

You've been waiting/trying hard for a while now. Glad to see that you're finally rewarded with the prize. It looks like it's going to be a great tasting one too. :lol:

Congrats again.

Looks like I was the jinx:twisted:

Eagle1
06-16-2009, 10:29 AM
Nice 1st bear Steve, it should taste real nice.
I personally don't care for the taste, shot my share with the bow,but know I have no one to give them to as they all want to arrow their own so I don't hunt them.
See you don't need 70+ lbs to arrow one.

Ron.C
06-16-2009, 08:38 PM
Good Job Steve,

nothing wrong with that bear.

junior
06-16-2009, 09:28 PM
Well, I'ts about time buddy. congrats. I bet it feels go to pop the cherry;)

huntwriter
06-16-2009, 09:35 PM
Good job. Congratulations on your first bow bear. Getting a bear with a bow is still on my list of "things to do" too.

bochunk2000
06-16-2009, 10:41 PM
Thanks guys it was pretty exciting.
Steve.

fozzy
06-16-2009, 10:59 PM
That's great news Steve, good one!! :) That must be a real rush...getting up close and personal with a bear and archey gear.
Congrats

gary murray
06-17-2009, 07:46 AM
Very nice bear. Shooting them with rifles is one thing but with a bow puts a whole new excitement into hunting them.