PDA

View Full Version : Ducks Unlimited & Chemainus Estuary

HuntNHookSports
06-14-2009, 10:03 AM
Over 200 hectares of pristine coastal migratory bird habitat on southeastern Vancouver Island have been secured through a land purchase agreement. Heralded as a success by B.C. conservationists, acquisition of the Chemainus Estuary has been a high priority for DUC and Pacific Coast Joint Venture partners for decades.

http://www.ducks.ca/

Marc
06-14-2009, 10:22 AM
Now the question is: Can we still hunt there?

Gope
06-15-2009, 02:38 PM
i was there the other day and speaking to one of the DU guys there, they seemed oblivious to the fact that others hunt there. they have markers going all the way out into "big bay" including tidal zones. he was extremely surprised when i told him where people hunt and how frequently people are there.

Gunner
06-16-2009, 11:31 AM
It will be interesting to see if hunting is allowed.Quite a few DU projects ARE open to hunting,and I can see no reason that the Chemanius estuary should be closed.DU's connection with duck hunters is not what it used to be. Gunner

shotgunjohn
06-17-2009, 07:03 AM
I'm worried it's going to be Canadian ducks for American hunters.

Gope
06-17-2009, 04:36 PM
time to start going in by boat maby? i rather enjoy the walk down though.

Marc
06-17-2009, 09:56 PM
I just sent off an email to Duck unlimited earlier today to see what their intentions are. Hopefully I'll get a reply in the next few days.

I'll post up if I hear anything of interest.

Marc.

HuntNHookSports
06-17-2009, 10:06 PM
I am not ready to believe that DU would sell us out.

The real enemy may be the District of North Cowichan and their firearm and bow discharge bylaw.
http://northcowichan.fileprosite.com/contentengine/launch.asp?ID=4 (Firearms Bylaw)
Look at the maps where it is legal to discharge firearms. Chemainus Estuary is not one of them.
North Cowichan is willing to look the other way for the bow season on elk, but are they going to do the same for other user groups? And not just duck hunters, how about deer hunting on Maple Mountain, or back yard bow practice.

Gope
06-18-2009, 06:38 AM
that bylaw was from 2000, after looking at the maps it really dose not affect me, and i dont beleve it affects any of your hunting grounds either because any property greater then 5 acer is exempt from the local bylaw and must fall under the current rules set out by the hunting synopsis.