PDA

View Full Version : diaphragm calls wearing out

kebes
06-12-2009, 02:32 PM
Just a quick question about diaphragm calls, I've been using one to practice for quite a while and I'm having trouble getting the higher pitches out of it that I was getting, how often do you guys change reeds due to wearing out?

todbartell
06-12-2009, 02:48 PM
you buy new ones

Ron.C
06-12-2009, 02:53 PM
Not quite sure what you are making referennce to. Diaphram elk calls like the primos Plalette plate calls or their sonic dome calls wear over time, but you cannot change the diaphram. They are only around 7 bucks a pop so I just buy a new ones every year. Every now and then when using it daily during hunting season, I'll give it a rinsing with clean water to wash off any dirt/junk that may be stuck to the diaphram.

Reed calls are something different, like a hyper lip call for example. And in most cases disassembling, cleaning and re-assembling makes them good as now. I've used the same reed calls for several years.

rocksteady
06-12-2009, 02:59 PM
Chewing tobacco + diaphram calls = New ones every 2 years

kebes
06-13-2009, 11:51 AM
Waistdeep, you missed the rest of what I said.....I was getting the higher pitches out of it, it just seemed like it might be wearing out and as I've only owned a couple of them I'm not sure what the expected lifespan of one of these suckers is. Thanks.

KodiakHntr
06-13-2009, 12:55 PM
Depends on how much you use them, how you hold them in your mouth, etc....A buddy of mine has run the same reed for years, I typically wear out a Bush in the Bush reed over a couple of weeks due to how they position in my mouth.