PDA

View Full Version : Grizz down

Wild one
06-09-2009, 04:57 PM
Just got back yesterday from helping a friend with his grizz hunt.We hunted hard for 4 days that ended with a 7ft grizz just before dark on Sunday. Day 1 we took the boat to were we planned on hiking up into some slides but we could not find are way in and my partners pack was causing him nothing but pain from a bar rubbing on his back. Day 2 in the morning we decided to hike back to the boat and see if there were any grizz in the cuts off the lake.After hiking all day we found 3 blacks and 1 small set of grizz tracks. Day 3 we hike up another road and through the bush and found are way into the slides we were trying to get into on day 1. The grizz sign in the slide was impressive to say the least but due to the time it took to get back to the boat we could not hunt it proper. Day 4 in the morning after talking it over we made up are mind that with out being able to camp within a reasonable hike of the slides due to my partners crappie pack we were better of trying the easier to access areas of the zone. After getting the truck we drove to the other area dropped the boat and set up camp.For the rest of the day we opted to chek out the area to see what we had to work with. Due to snow we soon found that we could not accsess most of the area. After backing out of a grow in road my partner spots a grizz up the road of all places after hiking around 40 k all over the dam place. The only problem with this is we had fallow him on foot for over 1 k trying to get with in range and after covering over 40 k in 3 days on foot .for those who have never tried to follow a gizz when he is walking you have to jog or run to keep up. We got with 90 yards and after 2 30-06 round he jumps into som thick crap just of the river. After 45min of holy crap we track him down and find him done with in 50 - 75 yards. Now the fun starts we take pics and after alot of profanity I start skinning and it is getting late. Next thing we know we have a friend circling 30 yards in the bush from us so my partner lets off a shot in the air and it leaves. 5 min latter it's back we cut the grizz in half just behind the shoulders and get the hell back to the truck. Big thanks to Srupp for all the help and know how with this grizz hunt as I don't know if us rookie grizz hunters would have done so well with out him.

Wild one
06-09-2009, 05:00 PM
I can't get the stupid pic to work

plumbob
06-09-2009, 05:03 PM
Sounds like all the hiking payed off,congrats but wheres the pics

Wild one
06-09-2009, 05:36 PM
I am working on the pic but it will not do it justice as my partner only gave me the go a head to use the one with out him in it.

chinookkiller
06-09-2009, 06:56 PM
hard trip,so much hiking,but finally success,congrats!

srupp
06-09-2009, 07:43 PM
congradulations...next time take the whole bear.....:eek:

SRUPP

Kitimat Killer
06-09-2009, 09:39 PM
hey tell your partner congrats

kk

BiG Boar
06-10-2009, 07:01 AM
hopefully you left on evidence of sex. The inspection requires that and the skull. From which they will take a tooth to keep. But they will take a small tooth.

boxhitch
06-10-2009, 08:27 AM
Next thing we know we have a friend circling 30 yards in the bush from us so my partner lets off a shot in the air and it leaves. 5 min latter it's back we cut the grizz in half just behind the shoulders and get the hell back to the truck.
Thats gotta suck, not being prepared for the dark. It happens every night.
Good hunt, congrats on success.

Mik
06-10-2009, 09:00 AM
Sounds like a lot of "moving around", but in the end, it paid off. Congrats.

srupp
06-10-2009, 10:03 PM
These 2 guys did very well..the "first " area is chuckle "VERY TIGHT QUARTERS..with HUGE bears..and the Cariboo mtn bears are amongst the prettiest but MEANEST SOBS that inhabit BC...

The photo of this bear is INCREDIBLE...a fine G bear indeed..

well done guys..

SRUPP

hunter1947
06-11-2009, 05:34 AM
Congrats to your friend as for you on getting this fine griz.

Elkhound
06-11-2009, 07:35 AM
congrats.....any pics up somewhere?

Wild one
06-11-2009, 10:28 AM
If I can e mail a pic to some one to put up I will but I can't get it to work my self

TSW
06-12-2009, 09:09 AM
Here's the pic:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/grizz12.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=14495&size=big&cat=500)