PDA

View Full Version : Moose advice/DVD for rookies

sapper
06-08-2009, 06:54 PM
Okay, so myself (an old-hand of one season :)) and two friends (rookies) that I just got into hunting have submitted our LEH for a group moose hunt. Now I'm getting a little nervous. What if we actually luck out and are successful in our bid for the moose? Do we gut and skin as we do with a deer? How soon do we need to get the meat to our butcher? I'm sure there are a myriad of other things I should know and so I wonder if there is a DVD that people would recommend that I could use in the pre-season?
Any other advice gladly accepted. :)

Sitkaspruce
06-08-2009, 08:19 PM
Sapper

The first thing to do is do a search on here under the following

Moose Hunting
Calling moose
The area you have put in for, IE 5-13 etc.
The No Gut Method
Gutting a moose
Packing a moose

There is a ton of very good info on this site that can help you a lot and makes for some fun reading.

Next Google info about moose hunting, stay away from all the BS stuff from outdoor mags, look for stuff from BC.

There is a few good video's out there.

http://www.gouthrosmoosemadness.com/ Pretty pricey, but a good video set.

another one is buy a fellow HuntingBCer's father, but I cannot remember the name. Someone else will though.

and check out YouTube, Huntingfotage.com and a few other hunting video sites.

After checking these out, post some questions and we will try to help.

Good luck on the draw and the hunt.

Cheers

SS

quadrakid
06-08-2009, 09:13 PM
Sitkaspruce said it all. Tons of info if you search this site. hope you guys get a draw.

todbartell
06-08-2009, 10:34 PM
this dvd by Outdoor Edge is good. Deals with an elk, which will be identical to a moose except a bit smaller on average

http://www.outdooredge.com/images/product/POPdvdselk_prod.jpg

sapper
06-11-2009, 12:25 PM
Thanks, guys. This gives us lots to read. I'm particularly curious about using this No Gut Method.

BiG Boar
06-11-2009, 12:33 PM
No Gut Method is the best trick I learned from this site. Will never gut again.

moosinaround
06-11-2009, 03:47 PM
Watch videos/DVD's, listen to tapes/cd's, and ask questions here. Moose are basically the same as a deer, just 500 pounds heavier!! Quarters will be at least 100 lbs, if a small spike fork, and up to 200 lbs for a "magnum" moose! Gutless method works if you are in an isolated area and you need to packboard it out. If near a road, or with an ATV, gut it and take it out "bone in". T bones are pretty nice to chew on after the meat is gone.:eek: Be prepared for what ever situation arises. Me I almost always have my quad and power saw with me so getting it out sometimes whole is usually not a problem. Have lots of rope, a saw to quarter if need be, and game bags if you debone it. A snatch block is nice to have to raise it up off the ground and set it on a quad, or back of a pickup. Have fun, and take your time, you put in lots of time energy and money to hunt a moose, so make sure you are prepared to get it to a meatcutter in as good of condition as you can. Give me a PM if you have questions, and if you are up in the PG area of northern bc give me a ring. Moosin

338shane
05-02-2014, 07:58 PM
Hey moosinaround, name is shane newby to hunting. My best friend and I are looking for a good area to apply leh for moose.. any suggetions. have quads and a big heart:) Really would love to get my bud a moose, ive shot a deer, need him to make a connection. any info would be really appreciated. thanks-
shane