PDA

View Full Version : ATVs whats your prefrence

AJJ
06-07-2009, 04:55 PM
Another question on gear from me

Im going to buy an ATV for next fall, Ive chatted with a few members on here already and got some great advice. Still would like to get some more input.

Intrested in

Good makes and bad?
Good dealers and bad?
2 x4 or 4x4?
The various models and sizes
Trailer prefrences?
Buying in the states?
New or used? Im leaning towards used
Any other info on the subject that would be helpful

Thanks again

AJJ

plumbob
06-07-2009, 05:35 PM
There should be some great deals on new and used out there right now,as for 2x4 or 4x4 no question get the 4x4,as for brands thats up to you do some research on some,I own honda and kawasaki and love them both.

FlyingHigh
06-07-2009, 07:08 PM
best quad i've ever ridden was a 3 year old Suzuki King Quad 450. it'll be th quad i buy when i can afford one.

bc sportsman
06-07-2009, 07:13 PM
If I was using the Quad for serious hunting terrain challenges...ie. going in some 100 kms on the ATV and towing a trailer with my camp gear and hauling out same...then I'd go with a 700-800 cc 4x4 ATV like Polaris. Remember that this things weigh a lot (some 750 lbs) but you get serious hauling out of them. However, with my ATV trailer, I can haul some 1500 lbs. Also has lots of horsepower to climb steep terrain.

If you are just looking at something to hunt with to save you some walking time and haul a moose in reasonable terrain then...smaller and lighter is better..450 cc is nice. Don't weigh too much and easy to lift if high centered.

Frango
06-07-2009, 07:50 PM
I have a Honda 400 es .It's been great in all aspects.Honda has finally come out with a fuel injected ,water cooled ,independant suspension and disc breaks.They finally got caught up.Honda without a doubt has the best tranny and a very reliable engine.All these new( in Honda) options now available in the 420 model.Do an internet comparison and it would be hard not to come up with Honda as a good choice.

Ron.C
06-07-2009, 08:17 PM
I "HAD" a Yamaha Bruin 350. Good quad, but if I were to buy another, I would get a 450 Kodiak. It's not a whole lot more money, but the Kodiak has a much better rear suspension and diff lock.
I towed my quad on one of those Snow Bear Trailers sold at canadian tire, and on several occasions hooked the same trailer to the back of the quad and used it for work purposes at our bow club. Good combination.

I rode a friends Honda Rubicon about a month ago and it was quite nice to ride, but felt a little rough in the suspension to me. My brother in law had a CanAm Outlander, and it was an awesome ride. But he had trouble with the shift lever. It was a used machine when he got it and I think the shift lever had been bent and made it difficult to get in gear. I have also rode a couple different Polaris's. I would seriously consider a close look at them if/when I buy another quad in the future. Finally, I rode a quad from Canadian Tire. Not much good to say about that one except they're an option if you are on a severe budget.

But I think in the end, all the major manufacturers make a good machine. But I'd stay away from the Canadian Tire quads as well as the immitation stuff. Yes they are alot cheaper, but as soon as you ride it, you'll know why. If you can't afford a new brand name quad, I would recommend looking for a used brand name quad before buying a new Candian tire quad.

If you can afford it, buy new. This way you are not buying someone elses abused machine. Sure you can get lucky and get good used stuff, but I think alot of quads/dirt bikes tend to get ridden like they were stolen. And a quad in good physical/mechanical shape holds is value well.
And as far as brands go, you'll find some that have nothing but good things to say about a certain brand, and some that curse the same machine saying they are crap. So just take the "extreme recomendations" with a grain of salt.

Benthos
06-07-2009, 09:04 PM
i have a 09 yammy 450 kodiak. very nice. independant rear suspension, good transmission, locking 4-wheel diff, engine brake and quite a bit more ground clearance than the honda.

a lot of the major companies make good stuff, some of it comes down to personal preference. i was debating about the honda and yammy, went with the yammy because of the locking 4wheel diff and the IRS.

killman
06-07-2009, 09:20 PM
I was out today on my Polaris Sportsman 500 HO It pretty good although it seems to have a problem running when it gets a little wet

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_0181.JPG

Rob
06-07-2009, 09:36 PM
I pretty much sunk my 05 Sportsman 500 last Aug, it shut off on its own:roll:. Took about 15 mins to start but everything was fine after. Not sure what your planning on using your quad for but you dont need to have a ton of cc's to have a good machine. A winch is a bonus though!

leadpillproductions
06-07-2009, 09:48 PM
I use a honda 500 rubicon i kick the crap ot of it it runs great.

bearhunter338-06
06-08-2009, 02:09 AM
Got me a 1997 Kawasaki Bayou 300. It has hualed me (250 pounds) and one Elk out of a over grown cut block (Elk quarters and back strap 600 plus pounds) Me and the back half of a moose. She growned a little but got the job done.

kgs
06-08-2009, 03:41 AM
HONDA,HONDA,HONDA,HONDA,HONDA,HONDA,HONDA,HONDA,HO NDA,
What else is there to say...Great resale, not prone to breaking down, quality product, decent warranty, and tough as hell... Honda 500 and up work horse the rancher I like the fuel injected model ..Used is great but if you can buy new...

06-08-2009, 12:26 PM
Buy Canadian made,,,,,,,keep Canadian working,,,,,,Bombardier all the way....!

The Hermit
06-08-2009, 12:40 PM
Don't forget to look for used quads in Alberta. They license and register their quads so you can trust that you won't be buying a stolen machine if the seller has the registration papers and makes you sign a vehicle transfer form!

I bought a used Honda Canadian Edition 400 cc 4x4 and have been happy with it although did need to replace the tie rods... something like $10 each no biggie.

doubled
06-08-2009, 12:57 PM
Have a 2000 Yamaha Kodiak 400 SE and will be buyin a 2009 Yamaha 700 Grizzly in a few weeks. Love the ground clearance. Never had a problem with my quad.

Fisher-Dude
06-08-2009, 12:58 PM
I have no opinion on this subject. 8)

mynameispete
06-08-2009, 02:39 PM
Polaris 500 ho

hunterofthedeer
06-08-2009, 03:44 PM
we have owned a 2001 yamaha 600 grizzly and it has never broken down. Im sure all the quads are good but i recammend not to buy arctic cat. The arctic cats have crappy engines and lots of people have had problems with them siezing or blowing. So haveing experiance with yamaha and some with honda i suggest these two.

ratherbefishin
06-08-2009, 04:06 PM
I have a 2003 Polaris 600 sportsman I bought used [very low KM]My only issue was an overheating problem [fan wouldn;t come on] which we solved ourselves-[dealer didn't]it was the sensor in the radiator .We took the rad out, cleaned it thoroughly,and replaced the sensor. I think we'll be doing our own servicing....

mxracer328
06-09-2009, 10:16 AM
i would suggest a Honda, about 450 - 500 range, awesome for haulin trailers, my dad built a tandom axel tilt deck trailer to winch moose up on to and his 500 rubicon pulls it anywhere with a big bull on the deck, although i would suggest the 450 foreman over the rubicon if your gonna tow alot with it, it is geared lower, and has alot more bottom end.

ahlsy
06-19-2009, 09:44 AM
Two thumbs up for Kawasaki. I ride with a bunch of guys (10-12) and most of us ride kawasakis. Mostly because of experience and an excellent dealer in our area. I would say that at least half of those are getting into the very high mileage range and we haven't had a single problem with any of them. These include the 360, 650, 700, 750 All good. The only downside is "they don't float" I can assure you they don't float and they don't run underwater. Take my word for it.

moosinaround
06-19-2009, 10:13 AM
Honda, then polaris, then bombardier, then yamaha, then arctic cat. I own a honda, trouble free, a arctic cat, wrench on it all the time, and I owned a polaris, pretty good bike. Honda's are basically bullet proof. I am going to look at the polaris 500xp though. Looks like a good bike! They all break!! Buy big, you don't always have to use the horse power, but it is there when you need it!! Buy a 4 wheel drive, 2wd sucks! Moosin

lunatic
06-19-2009, 10:20 AM
Have owned most brands at one time or another. Currently have two Polaris's and two 700 Suzuki Kingquads. The Suzukis are an awesome machine. Ride great, lots of "manageable" power due to the large single cylinder, great low end torque, and BY FAR the best fuel milage in a big bore machine. Put on over 180 miles riding in the mountains around Tumbler Ridge last week and after owning them for 3 years the mileage we get still impresses me. Rode 46 miles ( not kms ) on Tuesday....and this is up and down mountains......and still had 5/8 of a tank of fuel when we returned to the truck. My buddy with his 800 Can Am couldn't believe it. He was into his jerry can after 55 KMS ( his can only read kms ).

jasper
06-19-2009, 11:32 AM
im a little bias becase i own a 05 500 ho mossy oak edition polaris sportsman its been good to me plenty of power awsome ride little hard on fuel but overall a good bike if i was to buy another one it would be another polaris http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/dan_buck.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=11338&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=10761)

Benthos
06-19-2009, 11:36 AM
when i was looking last year, the main problem i had with the hondas was the lack of features. still using a solid rear axle that makes for a crappy ride and also give up ground clearance, doesn't have locking 4-wheel differential and a few other goodies as well. those were the two kickers for me that made me pick a different brand.

killman
06-19-2009, 01:22 PM
Someone brought up a good point! A good dealer is everything, don't buy if the dealer is a a$$!

Phil
06-19-2009, 01:43 PM
My preference is a Honda 500. I like the power range of the engine and tranny. It is a simple machine with a staight rear axle and it still has a gravity fed carb. A winch is an important add on that I would not be without regardless of the machine you get

bowhunterbruce
06-19-2009, 03:34 PM
ive have owned a kawi brute force and nthe one i have now and although the kawi wasnt bad ,i realy do prefer the one i have now.its a 800 bombardier outlander maxx with a few bells and whistles including
a front winch
a rear winch (custom)
a spotting scope bracket (custom)
a bow rack ,again thats (custom)
a hindged back box that goes up 90 degrees
duel gun boots (for both the mrs and myself)
hand and thumb warmers
front skid plate
high front rack and its a two-up
yes its a bigger machine but when i needed to get my truck out of being high centered on some sugar snow 2 springs ago,that quad sucked the truck out like nothing.
we have had both of us on it with 2 bears at the same time and it wasnt even trying.i get about 165 km on a tank of fuel which is 3 1/2 gallons, in other words its almost impossible to run out in a full day of running from cut block to cutblock or from slide to slide.
http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt91/bowhunterbruce1/spikeonthequad-1.jpg?t=1245449132

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt91/bowhunterbruce1/ablackandacinnimonandmeonthequad.jpg?t=1245450429
when i made my choise to buy one i had gone to 3 different dealerships including polaris,kawi and bomberdier and the one that got the sale was the one who treated my like a human and not like a wad of cash just walking through the door.hell i even went to the polairis dealership twice and both time felt like they didnt even want to talk to me because i was trying to buy a quad during sledding season ,sled stuff was to important to them needless to say they com[pletely lost a sale on 2 occations
whatever you chose make sure you get independent rear suspencion especially if your gonna be on it alot ,the ride is much more comfortible then the straight axels your back and kidneys will love ya for it
cheers and goodluck
bruce

wolverine
06-19-2009, 05:53 PM
I have a 450 Grizzly (Yamaha) and I'm just all kinds of impressed by that machine. It's taken me through some pretty evil crap and never balked once. I did take the liberty when I bought it of removing the stock rubber and putting on a set of 8 ply Dirt Tamers. Doesn't effect the ride but a lot tougher tire than the stock 3 ply and way better in the sloppy shite. Whatever you buy, look at doing an upgrade on the rubber before you take it home. It really can make a huge difference.

TheDuckinator
06-26-2009, 03:29 PM
http://burnaby.repo.com/ sssshhhh its a secret :biggrin:. But you can get winches and stuff from princess auto nice n cheap. GL

dawn2dusk
02-11-2010, 03:52 PM
http://burnaby.repo.com/ sssshhhh its a secret :biggrin:. But you can get winches and stuff from princess auto nice n cheap. GL

Cool site. thanks for the post
:wink:

pete_k
02-11-2010, 03:59 PM
They are all pretty good except for the Chinese knock offs or Can Tire machines.
Whatever you get make sure to leave some spare change around for:
1) grip heaters
2) winch
3) windshield
4) upgraded tires (get them put on before you leave the dealer)

All 4 of those upgrades are absolutely critical IMO for late fall in the interior. Good for you for pulling the trigger on the quad purchase, you'll never go back.

Dukeoflawnchair
02-11-2010, 04:09 PM
I've heaped ungodly amounts of abuse onto Hondas with very few hiccups.

I advise:

4x4
Winch (!!!!)
Stay away from electric shifts -> just something else to go wrong when wet (couple long and tedious stories...)

Something else to consider -> A lot of people are recommending much bigger quads. Unless you REALLY need the massive hauling capacity, I'd be looking at something closer to the 350 -420 ballpark. Has the hauling / hill clout, but small enough to boss around.

I do like supporting Canadian, and I admit that I can't speak for all years and all models, but my experience with Bombardiers aren't particularly favorable.

MuleyStalker
02-11-2010, 04:45 PM
Get something japanese made, rear independent suspension, high/low 4X4, diff lock. Yamaha is always a good brand to go with. Kodiak 450 is a great quad as is the Suzuki king quad 450. And I am being completely biased. Stay away from Polaris and Arctic Cat.

WKCotts
02-11-2010, 04:58 PM
Polaris Sportsman only way to go

Drillbit
02-11-2010, 05:05 PM
Honda
Buy it in Alberta, New at Gateway honda, used out of the buysell.
You'll save a few thousand plus tax taking the drive.

With a Honda you won't have to pack extra gas, spare parts, and tools with you.

Moose72
02-11-2010, 05:55 PM
Run a grizz.

nerka992003
02-11-2010, 06:25 PM
I've had Yamaha's since day one and own two right now very happy with them. I've had friends with Polaris and seems like things like to break on them. they have since moved on to other machines(Yamaha) :)

Phreddy
02-11-2010, 11:59 PM
I still say my Outlander is tops.

BigBanger
02-12-2010, 03:05 AM
I have a Honda that takes a shit kicking and still no problem.

watson721
02-12-2010, 07:16 PM
I have a 750 suzuki king quad and love it. I have drove my buddies quads( honda, yamaha) and my quad rides much smoother and has pulls just as much. I would definatley recommend 4x4 and also a winch can come in handy to if you can afford it.

watson721
02-12-2010, 07:54 PM
http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs165.snc3/19272_471824745541_647805541_10979760_3244591_n.jp g (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1081852&id=1179415746&op=1&view=global&subj=635504885)

.308win
02-12-2010, 08:03 PM
Suzuki!!.......After all they are the "FOUR RUNNERS" in quad engineering!!!.....Pun intended!!!:mrgreen::wink:

Perry

yama49
02-13-2010, 09:32 AM
I ride yamaha quads and sleds, nothin but impressed. I sold my grizzly to purchase a new rhino this spring, Also my brother bought a yamaha/artic cat dealership 6 months ago also, so my decesion is real simple now....

Jason

swampthing
03-05-2010, 07:32 PM
Yes they are all good. Find a good dealer and have fun. Spectra in williams lk is a good one.

takla1
03-05-2010, 07:52 PM
Like others on here i own a 08 suzuki king quad 750 cc,before this one i had a 91 suzuki king quad and it hauled a LOT of moose over the yeaRS.Put close to 20,000 k on the first one,only repairs done were by me,had to tighten down a head bolt!,thats it,did lose my skid plate on one trip ,had to replace,other than that the machine was bullet proof.had my new machine out the last two huntin seasons and luv it,power,handles great , better clearence,and hauls and pulls, great fuel economy .Suzuki sets the bar for ATV'S!

cavebear
03-11-2010, 10:01 PM
suzuki 450 takes me anywhere:-D ( so far :))

http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae182/cavebearandmax/hunting%20trip%2003-11-10/P1020851.jpg

srupp
03-11-2010, 11:00 PM
I have only owned one make..Honda..my first was brand new 4x4 300 lasted 14 years sold it in under 30 minutes when it was time for a new one..never ever one problem STill had the original TIRES..and transaxel boots etc...worked falwlessly..

Then moved up in 2008 to a 500??cc Honda Canadian Trails edition....I think its 500 cc..automatic..however can shift with the thumb...lots of power..seldom use 4x4 but its there to switch into when needed..hauls a LOT...

The 3rd light between the handles is a pain in the ASS..I had Honda put in a kill switch for when I have a day box up front..reflects the light back into my eyes..

Came with a winch..seems very stable, powerful, relaible...

2 pet peeves.

`1)..original tires...grrrr

2)it is pretty thirsty..it does NOT have the fuel injection ..maybe that might help??

Its all I need faster than is reasonable, goes anywhere I want, carries bears moose, deer..drags trees for wood...and my custom ATV trailer..

so in 16 years Not one breakdown , not one failure...had one flat..thats it good reliable BULLETPROOF service..

I have tried other brands..I personally will stick to Honda for now...

steven

1 ozzy
03-18-2010, 06:05 AM
definately go the 4x4 route. I have owned hondas& polaris. Used arctic cats and a yamaha kodiak. Of them all the polaris is my personal favorite. Very tough machine. One thing you might want to consider is efi if you are going to be using it in any type of mountainas areas. Most of the new quads are all pretty decent. Try out a few and pick what suits you needs the best. Happy trails

.330 Dakota
03-18-2010, 06:16 AM
Whatever you buy ---test ride 1 with power steering.
I have an 08 Grizz 700 and the steering is amazing...the 550 has it too

steelheadSABO
03-18-2010, 08:01 AM
o got a suzuki 2wd with lowrange had it up a skidder trail covered with a foot of snow and trees across no problem. go's just about anywhere but on those -10 days they'll make you wish you were driving in a truck

Dmytro
03-27-2010, 11:54 AM
I ride Arctic Cat Diesel. This thing is not fast and riding behind it is a bit smelly (unless you fuel it with biodiesel in which case it should apparently smell like french fries). Have to be careful to make sure it does not have summer fuel in the winter or it won't start without some heat.

It pulls like crazy and is extremely fuel efficient. I always have extra fuel in a can with me but have never had to use it even if I don't refuel it between trips. Independent suspension feels good with upgraded wheels and larger tires.

It is a big machine and has ability to be converted to a dual rider configuration but I never did that. There are lots of accessories available for this machine.

Winch is nice to have but don't count on it to always save you. I got stuck once in deep snow on a mountain facing a cliff, so winch was of no use, had to have another machine pull me out by my ass.

.330 Dakota
03-27-2010, 12:53 PM
I ride Arctic Cat Diesel. This thing is not fast and riding behind it is a bit smelly (unless you fuel it with biodiesel in which case it should apparently smell like french fries). Have to be careful to make sure it does not have summer fuel in the winter or it won't start without some heat.

It pulls like crazy and is extremely fuel efficient. I always have extra fuel in a can with me but have never had to use it even if I don't refuel it between trips. Independent suspension feels good with upgraded wheels and larger tires.

It is a big machine and has ability to be converted to a dual rider configuration but I never did that. There are lots of accessories available for this machine.

Winch is nice to have but don't count on it to always save you. I got stuck once in deep snow on a mountain facing a cliff, so winch was of no use, had to have another machine pull me out by my ass.

french fries!!!! isnt that baiting? LOL

Dmytro
03-28-2010, 06:29 AM
french fries!!!! isnt that baiting? LOL

Good question, but that would be one loud bait :)

Never tried it though.

The thing also eats mil spec aviation fuel, it was originally designed for US military's single fuel mandate.

Another toy I wanted that runs on any fuel was Evinrude's submersible multifuel outboard engine- also built for military. But when I learned the price on that thing I decided a mil spec ATV is enough for now :) I was quoted something like $1k per horse power for that outboard :shock:

guntech
03-28-2010, 03:05 PM
Another question on gear from me

Im going to buy an ATV for next fall, Ive chatted with a few members on here already and got some great advice. Still would like to get some more input.

Intrested in

Good makes and bad?
Good dealers and bad?
2 x4 or 4x4?
The various models and sizes
Trailer prefrences?
Buying in the states?
New or used? Im leaning towards used
Any other info on the subject that would be helpful

Thanks again

AJJ

I bought used in Alberta privately late last November... a great deal on a low mileage 2006 400 Yamaha Kodiak... it rides great, has as much power as you would ever need for hunting, you can disengage 4 wheel drive which is a very nice feature for normal running... I wouldn't want a full time 4 wheel drive.

http://photoshare.shaw.ca/image/3/b/d/203599/yamaha_2006_kodiak_400-0.jpg

sniper84
03-28-2010, 06:53 PM
I have a 450 and after a while you will get disappointed with the lack of power. I have some friends that have a grizzly 700 and i have rode theirs, its like night and day. If i was to buy another one i would step up and get the 700 in either yamaha or the king quad

guntech
03-28-2010, 08:06 PM
I have a 450 and after a while you will get disappointed with the lack of power. I have some friends that have a grizzly 700 and i have rode theirs, its like night and day. If i was to buy another one i would step up and get the 700 in either yamaha or the king quad

What do you need all the power for...?

I have seen large moose pulled out with a 350 Quad... 250 trikes used to do the job...

Slime green cat
03-28-2010, 08:26 PM
What do you need all the power for...?

I have seen large moose pulled out with a 350 Quad... 250 trikes used to do the job...

Agreed, any quad can drag a moose or haul firewood etc .... you dont need power for that, just a low gear and 4wd . I think Sniper is talking fun factor ... and I agree . The 650+ machines are alot more fun than the little ones :-D

gutpile
03-28-2010, 08:55 PM
I got a 2007 can-am 650 it's got a round 800 kms on it and i had to replace both axle seals because they were leaking all with in six months.Lucky for me i bought extended warranty but the warranty will expire in six months.It would have cost me around 900.00 dollars.It does not look promising for me in the future. :icon_frow

ryanhuntslots
03-29-2010, 09:01 PM
shopped hard 2 years ago for 2 quads, 1 for me, 1 for the wife, we decided on Polaris 500ho and a 400 ho, never regretted it. look very hard at polaris awd system, all 4 turn or nothing tuns when you flick the switch, no locker levers or anything. also ride with a suzuki vinson and a couple of arcic cats. i will say that the polaris gets further on fuel every time, and the extra storage is great.

Sunzuki
06-13-2010, 08:19 AM
I flavor the Yami's.
Have an old 350 Bear that has never let me down in any shape or form.
Fire it up and get home.
No questions asked.
Work horse to boot.
If I were to replace this old faithful companion, it would be a bigger Yamaha, 400-450CC.
If you buy a Honda, as one of the previous owners said, you don't need extra gas, tools, bring a heavy tow rope so you can get towed back to the truck.
All the Hondas I've been around seem to like to challenge their owners.
Sort of like bringing your wife with you. IMO.
In my younger years, I have owned a bunch of dirt/street bikes and the ones that continually took a beating were the Yamaha's.
Nuff said, Yami all the way.

351BII
06-13-2010, 08:33 AM
I got and 07 kodiak 450 and a 08 grizzly 700. Both excellent machines. I ride with guys that got suzukis and hondas as well and there all great machines. As said before do some research and try some out. I liek the grizzly for its power to weight ratio. Its only 10 lbs heavier then the 450 kodiak. The grizzly is a nimble machine for its size. Its a bit narrower then the king quad as well. Not sure about tthe kawis or hondas..

Phreddy
06-13-2010, 08:56 AM
I still stick with my Outlander Max 400. Awsome power for a small machine yet not enough to get me into more trouble than I bargained for.
Good support service as well.

swampdonkey
06-13-2010, 09:10 AM
I got a 2007 can-am 650 it's got a round 800 kms on it and i had to replace both axle seals because they were leaking all with in six months.Lucky for me i bought extended warranty but the warranty will expire in six months.It would have cost me around 900.00 dollars.It does not look promising for me in the future. :icon_frowdid you buy it in chilliwack

.330 Dakota
06-13-2010, 09:35 AM
We have 4 Yamaha's, great bikes no issues, 700 Griz, 450 Kodiak, 2x 400 Kodiak's (Power steering is great and comes on the new 550 Griz as well as the 700's)

srupp
06-14-2010, 11:28 PM
hmmm honda 500 cc Canadian trails edition...now with the FANTASTIC ITP BAJA CROSS radial 8 ply tires....AWESOME tires!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bike is great and I like it a lot..no power steering , no rear independent suspension,no fuel injection..but has done everything I have asked it to do...and THEN SOME..

steven

Springer
06-15-2010, 01:47 AM
I am a die hard yamaha fan. i own the old 200 Big Wheel bike ..ever seen one?
Anyway yes yamaha has been good to us, My son raced the fourstrokes as well and now he's a mechanic for yamaha / Arctic cat.
Something you Yamaha guys should be aware of. Srupp and i got back from a Quad ride and i gassed up his Honda then it was time to gas up my 08 Grizz 700. There was quite a bit of pressure built in the tank when i went to open the cap so i opened it further to vent it faster and there was lots more pressure , another half turn and the cap blew staright in the air and i found it 10 ft beside me , right after the rest of the Fuel ( 1/2 tank) vented out the nozzle completely soaking me,my new helmet and gear, My bike was drenched when this vapour cloud subsided. I couldnt believe what just happened, thank Christ there was no ignition source around at the time.

when i got home i told my son what happened and he said the yamahas had a recall , the vent on the tank, some kind of check valve failed closed so the pressure did not relieve. "PLEASE" be careful and have yours looked at , also vent your cap slowly.

Cheers.

srupp
06-15-2010, 11:33 AM
WOW!!!! good update...did Yamaha say they would buy me a new Travel trailer..their defective cap allowed some gas to spill on my travel trailer,,,I think..lol

cheers

Srupp

06-15-2010, 12:55 PM
I have a Can Am Outlander 400 (2007). I have about 3200 km on it. So far I really like it. I would buy another if i was in the market.

JAGRMEISTER
06-15-2010, 01:09 PM
i HAVE A KODIAK 450, AND NO MANUAL!!!
COOLING FAN IS NOT WORKING, IS THERE A FUSE BOX OR ANY SUGGESTIONS WHERE TO START? FAN SPINS EASILY SO IS NOT SEIZED UP.

sparkymacker
06-15-2010, 01:20 PM
Buy Canadian made,,,,,,,keep Canadian working,,,,,,Bombardier all the way....!

Hmmmm...the quads are made in Mexico and they rip us off for 40% because we are Canadians...not my first choice.

BillyBull
06-15-2010, 01:21 PM
I would try http://www.quads.ca/ this site as these guys provide great help and knowledge about most ATV rigs.

Pioneerman
06-15-2010, 01:38 PM
i HAVE A KODIAK 450, AND NO MANUAL!!!
COOLING FAN IS NOT WORKING, IS THERE A FUSE BOX OR ANY SUGGESTIONS WHERE TO START? FAN SPINS EASILY SO IS NOT SEIZED UP.

Have you unplugged it and tried hooking it direct to the battery source to make sure it is not your relay or heat sensor ? I had the sensor go before it was a simple fix you remove it from the engine(probably top of engine)like a spark plug and screw in the new one.

Good luck

gutpile
06-15-2010, 06:11 PM
did you buy it in chilliwack
Yes i did.

swampthing
06-15-2010, 08:57 PM
What pete k said is about right

Torch
06-18-2010, 11:51 AM
If you can find a honda rincon 650 used you'll be in a rock solid machine. IRS, lots of power, dead nutz reliability,4wd and just a great all round machine...for the average hunter/rec rider. If your plan on running crazy hard mud/trails I would look at the yamaha grizzley, suzuki king quad, or the canam in that order...if your money tight watched for used for fairly good deals (lots of scams).
I bought a used rincon from greg (quads.ca) and run it as hard as I can, never a problem...I'm sure I hit it's limits eventually but not too soon....

Definatley a great unit for hunting....

r106
06-18-2010, 12:34 PM
I own a 2009 Suzuki King Quad 750cc. I love it no problems so far but it's fairly new. I liked the yamaha Grizzly but could not justify the extra $1500+ on the liitle differences. The New Can-am's are probably one of the best quads out there right now but I would not buy one for the only reason being they are supposed to be a Canadian company but manufacture them in Mexico and charges us way way more than the Americans. Honda's are out dated but are ok. Polaris in my opinion are crap. I have heard of too many people have problems with them. I personally don't like there all wheel drive. All manufactures will have there quirks but I have heard a lot more from Polaris.

My pics for best quads

#1 Can-am
#2 Yamaha
#3 Suzuki
#4 Honad/Kawasaki
#10 polaris LOL

Best bang for your buck

#1 Suzuki
#2 Yamaha
#3 can-am
#4 Kawasaki/honda
#5 polaris
________
Suzuki m engine history (http://www.suzuki-tech.com/wiki/Suzuki_M_engine)

gutpile
06-18-2010, 06:21 PM
I was wondering if anyone has a chinese or can tire quad ? how are they holding up are they worth the money ?

finish
06-18-2010, 07:30 PM
I've got an Arctic cat 500 and a 400, you don't need any more than a 500! The bigger they are, the more gas you have to pack!!

these are my two, thanks to BOYD050!

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i109/FEAR_illfinishyou/GetAttachment3.jpg

r106
06-18-2010, 10:26 PM
I was wondering if anyone has a chinese or can tire quad ? how are they holding up are they worth the money ?

they are crap. If your looking for something cheap for the kids there ok as long as your machanicly inclined. But for adults I would not go far from the truck!!! Thats not just my opinion thats a fact JUNK
________
TOYOTA SCEPTER HISTORY (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Toyota_Scepter)

RHkootenay
06-25-2010, 11:01 AM
Polaris Sportsman XP, i have a 2009 550 and have not had a problem at all and love the suspension.

pickerjim
06-26-2010, 08:43 AM
i would have to say buy a brand new one the payments are cheap and you dont buy someones used beat to shit junk.all the quads are good just depends on what you use it for i own a 500 arctic cat it has been an excellent machine my only complaint has been the steering which is kinda heavy but they now have power steering which is a welcome addition just go out and try a few im sure you will find what your looking for

JDR
06-27-2010, 10:25 AM
I have a 2004 yamaha kodiak 450. 7,000 km's so far, no probs to date. Great on fuel, lots of power for my needs and light enough that it can easily be maneuvered should I get stuck.

Bowzone_Mikey
06-27-2010, 10:57 AM
Don't forget to look for used quads in Alberta. They license and register their quads so you can trust that you won't be buying a stolen machine if the seller has the registration papers and makes you sign a vehicle transfer form!

Alberta doesnt use vehical transfer forms like BC does on used stuff ... a hand written bill of sale on a cocktail napkin is good enuf ... at least it was in 2006 when I moved out from there ...I bought and sold 5 used vehicles in my time there.

Cdn-Redneck
06-27-2010, 11:08 AM
I have been happy with my 700 Suzuki Kingquad. I would buy another or a Yamaha Grizzly. I also like the Honda Rubicon.

Piperdown
07-03-2010, 12:21 PM
Don't know where you are but Spectra Sports in Williams Lake have the best price bar none on Polaris. I have 2, 500 efi sportsman and love em!