PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Ranch

bigwhiteys
06-05-2009, 12:26 PM
I've had a pretty good week, so I finally pulled the trigger this morning on the Mystery Ranch NICE Frame along with the 6500 bag in Multi-Cam pattern.

$690.00 USD including shipping... :eek: I am eagerly awaiting for this package to arrive!

Reading through old threads on here I see several others who've purchased the same pack.

Gatehouse, DevilBear, Bruin, SSSSter... to name a few.

Now that you've used this pack combo a while what are your impressions now that the initial sting of the $$$ has worn off...?

Still Happy With It...?

Carl

BCrams
06-05-2009, 12:50 PM
Definatly expensive. Same feeling when I bought the Barny pack but won't look back.

Saw the Mystery in Kamloops and its a nice looking bag. Smaller shoulder straps than the barney though.

bigwhiteys
06-05-2009, 01:00 PM
Definatly expensive. Same feeling when I bought the Barny pack but won't look back. Saw the Mystery in Kamloops and its a nice looking bag.

Barney should be sponsoring you... Going through all the previous threads and correspondance you are a die-hard Barney fan. And what I found with the big 3 I was considering (Kifaru,MR,Barney) it was incredibly hard to find anybody saying anything bad about their packs. Any one of them seemed to me like it would be money well spent and the pack would be enjoyed for years to come.

The weight issue came up for me, and then after thinking about it I think it's a really silly decision to base your pack purchase on.

Yeah the MR and the Barney weight a little more then your average pack, but they can carry more too. And it's pretty easy to compensate by just losing the weight off your own body :)

Carl

BCrams
06-05-2009, 01:12 PM
Barney should be sponsoring you... Going through all the previous threads and correspondance you are a die-hard Barney fan. And what I found with the big 3 I was considering (Kifaru,MR,Barney) it was incredibly hard to find anybody saying anything bad about their packs. Any one of them seemed to me like it would be money well spent and the pack would be enjoyed for years to come.

The weight issue came up for me, and then after thinking about it I think it's a really silly decision to base your pack purchase on.

Yeah the MR and the Barney weight a little more then your average pack, but they can carry more too. And it's pretty easy to compensate by just losing the weight off your own body :)

Carl

I agree..... Mystery, Barney and Kifaru are probably the top 3 brands on the market. I don't think there's a bad thing to say about them. Once you're at that level, its a matter of personal preference / wants.

I know a lot of fellows (hbc guys and non hbc ppl) who have bought the barney after seeing mine and so far they are all happy with them and then their friends buy it as well!

I was initially leary with the weight at first but its virtually bomb proof which more than makes up for it.

TSW
06-05-2009, 01:41 PM
I just ordered a Mystery Ranch pack last week as well. I was trying to stick to a tighter budget which is tough to do with a high end pack. I ended up ordering a Scorpius (CBMR)...I was pretty pumped when I asked about getting a black one even though it wasn't listed online and they told me they had a black one left and it was still on sale from their recent "Paint it black" sale so I ended up getting it for $150(US) less than I was expecting to pay!! I'd say it was worth the phone call!! I'm just waiting for it to arrive now!!

My friends have Kifaru packs and love them. I put one on last year and that was one of the factors that led to this upgrade in pack. I have heard of Barney packs and tried to check them out, but with no website (?) and no idea where to ever find them, I threw that idea out. I googled barney packs and all I got was some little kids packs with a big purple dinosaur on it. :lol: That might still be an upgrade from my current pack, but I couldn't do it!

ThinAir
06-05-2009, 02:08 PM
I bought the MR Kodiak internal....very happy

Like you guys said, a guy can't go wrong with the big three.

I like the fact the MR is only a phone call away for ANY questions a guy might have.

They might be a tad bit heavy,but they make up for it in durability. I laugh when guys complain about an extra pound or two for the pack....and carry a whole bunch of heavy,cheap sh!t gear up the mountain!

338 winmag
06-05-2009, 03:16 PM
Im just running the crewcab at the moment , going to add a 6500 bag sometime in the future. Currently have one fliptop , zipper beltpocket and toplid on order , these are great packs and well worth the dollars imho.

Everett
06-05-2009, 03:41 PM
I bought my wife a cerabus when the sale was on and they gave me a load sling for free so I was pretty happy than two weeks go by no pack than three weeks and I get a call from Kenji at MR asking me if I had received my pack my answer was no. His response sorry we had a screw up and your pack was never shipped can we do anything to make up for it. So I ask him any chance of a deal on a crew cab bag to go with the nice frame I already had bought second hand on HBC. His response I have shop demo model with no markings how about $49 as way of an apology for our screw up.
Told him next time I was in Bozeman I would bring the beer. Thats customer service.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-05-2009, 04:48 PM
I'm jealous! :frown:

I've been looking at my poor old Wilderness Wanderer.... needs some work .....want to up grade to a Barney or a MR but it's not going to happen this year. Do I spend a "little" money and get a new hipbelt and shoulder straps..or should I just tough it out one more year?? Will definitely get new zippers sewn into the pockets(garbage!:mad:).
Will keep it for a spare or have it for when my kids get old enough.

I'm sure you will not regret your decision, Carl!

SSS

BCbillies
06-05-2009, 05:00 PM
They might be a tad bit heavy,but they make up for it in durability. I laugh when guys complain about an extra pound or two for the pack....and carry a whole bunch of heavy,cheap sh!t gear up the mountain!

Yabut . . . maybe these guys are onto something! You and I pack all our gear back down the mountain along with the kill while these guys can leave the goods under a rock and just pack the meat/cape. I suppose this can get a little costly after a while.;)

Now that I've test run the Kifaru for a couple of years I think it's time to try out one of those MR packs that some of you have.

Devilbear
06-05-2009, 05:27 PM
I have owned and carried about every "expedition" grade pack available in N.America, Europe and "the Antipodes" and started BC, bush hiking in 1956. With the single exception of Dan McHale's full-on custom packs made in Seattle, NOTHING equals a Mystery Ranch, period.

I spent a lot of years of my life, where I would be in deep, remote wilderness, almost always alone, for more than 200 days per year and backpacked every one of those days. I have worn out several packs, broken some of the most well known brands and learned that you NEED a serious, heavyduty pack to carry major loads in rough country for extended periods.

MR tells me that a lot of guys have taken my recommendation and bought the NICE system and I have had dozens of e-mails, phone calls and PMs from all over North America and even the UK on this issue and other gear issues. It makes me happy to see guys buy these as they are as close to "perfect" for hunting in the mountains as you will ever find.

Some guys are now hassling Dana Gleason, the pack "meister" to recreate his fabulous Longbed Terraframe and I hope he will. I bought two of them used, but, like new this year and sold the one that did not fit me perfectly. This is THE frame pack to have, IF, you can find one and prefer a frame pack, the suspension is beyond belief under a weighed 100 lb. load.

Mark at MR tells me that several other projects are being developed and I suspect that a "taller" NICE frame may be one; this would fit those who find the current one deficient in it's lifters and I hope they bring it to market.

I now have used Dana's packs for 31 years and still have my original in good shape; they may seem pricey and heavy, but, they WORK and you don't have to buy them twice! Good choice, guys and there is another little gem for alpine hunters coming that a buddy in the industry called me about last week and I will post on this as soon as he tells me it's OK, season is getting close!

bigwhiteys
06-05-2009, 05:27 PM
I've been looking at my poor old Wilderness Wanderer.... needs some work .....want to up grade to a Barney or a MR but it's not going to happen this year. Do I spend a "little" money and get a new hipbelt and shoulder straps..or should I just tough it out one more year??

I missed a couple really good deals on eBay one was a NICE frame and 6500 bag that went for $350 USD...

I also read where a fews guys mention (I think on 24hourcampfire or AlaskaOutdoors) that they just use the MR NICE frame and then buy what's called an ALICE compatible pack bag? From anywhere they can find I guess and they work well for a less costly alternative. The MR Bags themselves are what costs the $$$.

With the exchange rate I figured I'd just bite the bullet... Lifetime warranty as well which is some good peace of mind.

Yabut . . . maybe these guys are onto something! You and I pack all our gear back down the mountain along with the kill while these guys can leave the goods under a rock and just pack the meat/cape. I suppose this can get a little costly after a while.:wink:

I found a brand new woods sleeping bag, some socks, another crappier bag and sleeping pads etc... in a high camp that someone left. I am guessing to make room for their ram.

Like some of you I'm into my gear for too much $$$ now to leave anything behind... With this pack I don't think I'll have to.

Carl

bensonvalley
06-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Bought a Mystery Ranch NICE with the Behemoth bag, used for some seriously tough backpack hunting and exploring. I think it's a great setup for me, totally happy with this purchase.

boxhitch
06-05-2009, 10:08 PM
I have owned and carried about every "expedition" grade pack available in N.America, Europe and "the Antipodes" and started BC, bush hiking in 1956.Kutenay? That you?

bighornbob
06-05-2009, 10:56 PM
Kootenay? That you?

Who else starts every post by telling everyone how long he has been backpacking in BC. Its that or As a 4 generation BCér start to a thread.:roll:

BHB

BCbillies
06-05-2009, 11:13 PM
Kootenay? That you?

Well . . . "if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck then it's probably a duck!" Welcome back . . .always a good read!

Stone Sheep Steve
06-06-2009, 12:59 PM
Kutenay? That you?

A writing style that has no equal.:wink:

SSS

Kody94
06-06-2009, 01:10 PM
Congrats on the purchase Bigwhiteys! I am sure you will be pleased.

I have the NICE 6500 and the "black" Crew Cab. Neither have seen much hard use yet, but I hope they will soon. The NICE 6500 will be going north this year.

I am pretty happy with them so far though. They are certainly well constructed, and easy to fit. If they do come out with a longer frame (per Devilbear above) I might have to "upgrade" as my only complaint was the lack of ascender travel...which was remedied to a very large degree by swapping for a large yoke.

I intend to place another order with them soon for some load cells for the Crew Cab, and maybe upgrade the hip belt for one the packs to one with the zippered pockets (on the other thread).

Cheers
4Ster

bigwhiteys
06-06-2009, 01:48 PM
If they do come out with a longer frame (per Devilbear above) I might have to "upgrade" as my only complaint was the lack of ascender travel...which was remedied to a very large degree by swapping for a large yoke.

I am about 5'10" and they are sending me the medium yoke (he hummed and hawed for a while on whether to send the large yoke) with a large pocketed waistbelt. Could you not get the pack to ride high enough for you? or are you over 6'?

Carl

Devilbear
06-06-2009, 02:08 PM
Gentlemen: Quick question, are you attaching your lifters to the BAG buckles, when using the 6500 bag? This gives a substantial increase in lift over using those on the top of the frame, which was originally intended to replace the infamous "Alice" pack frame of the U.S. military and use the bags made for that instrument of torture.

Also, I find that a slightly LARGER belt size and even frame size TENDS to be more comfortable under load with this design and it also allows for wearing heavier bush-type clothing under it. If, you have the newer Gen 2, NICE frame, you can buy the waistbelt pockets, but, I prefer the Overkill frame and they will not fit it or my Gen. 1 NICE frame.

What I have done is to use twin "Fliptop Boxes" on the rear of my waistbelts and also two Kifaru military GPS pockets on the left side plus my Kifaru Gunbearer on the right. This setup, with added "Longpockets" makes this a very capacious pack AND everything is close to hand without removing your pack.

This type of pack takes some "breakin" and you will find that it gets MORE comfortable with time and as you "finetune" it for your body. I hope this helps as these are just such fine items of gear for mountain hunters.

MattW
06-06-2009, 03:29 PM
I also got the MR NICE frame and 6500 after reading about it here and elsewhere. I haven't gotten to use it hunting yet ( just got it this winter) but I've been training with it on the hills above my farm and I think it's going to be a winner, surely a huge improvement over my Camp Trails Moose bag. I got the pockets on the waistbelt and I think those should be good to keep a few items handy like a snack and a range finder. I also got the load sling for riverboat trips where I use the pack strictly for getting quartered animals down to the boat. As far as your original question Carl, I'd say once you get a look at your pack you'll know it was money well spent, you might never need another one. Like I say I haven't had opportunity to hunt with mine yet but I'm happy with the investment.

Kody94
06-06-2009, 07:06 PM
I am about 5'10" and they are sending me the medium yoke (he hummed and hawed for a while on whether to send the large yoke) with a large pocketed waistbelt. Could you not get the pack to ride high enough for you? or are you over 6'?

Carl

I am 6' 2" and 215....according to their chart I though I should have been medium, but I missed the part about chest size...including that, I should have selected a large the first time.

With the medium yoke, I felt I only needed another inch or so of ascender adjustment. The large is definetly better...haven't been able to use it on a trip yet to say how much better.

gerrygoat
06-06-2009, 09:24 PM
I googled barney packs and all I got was some little kids packs with a big purple dinosaur on it. :lol: That might still be an upgrade from my current pack, but I couldn't do it!

Thats funny TSW :)

What's the ETA on your Mystery Ranch?

TSW
06-07-2009, 12:24 AM
Thats funny TSW :)

What's the ETA on your Mystery Ranch?

From what I hear from ThinAir, shipping time is about 2 weeks to our parts of the world...should be here sometime this week hopefully!!!!:D You'll have to swing by and take a look at the pack when it arrives...I'll pm you.

bigwhiteys
06-07-2009, 10:25 AM
Thanks for all the feedback guys... It's reassuring, lol.

From what I hear from ThinAir, shipping time is about 2 weeks to our parts of the world...should be here sometime this week hopefully!!!!:grin:

Two Weeks...!?!?! Thankfully they had everything in stock and are shipping my pack on Monday. If they are waiting on a production run it's over a month wait time.

Carl

338 winmag
06-07-2009, 09:36 PM
A tip here , if you run your belt strap back through the first slider you end up with a power pull for tightening up the waist belt.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/redmtn/P6070003.jpg

ThinAir
06-08-2009, 07:15 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys... It's reassuring, lol.

Two Weeks...!?!?! Thankfully they had everything in stock and are shipping my pack on Monday. If they are waiting on a production run it's over a month wait time.

Carl

They told me the same thing:grin:

By the time it sat at the shipping desk a few days, then at the border.....it was just shy of two weeks.
Hopefully you guys see it sooner...and start training!

Devilbear
06-08-2009, 08:08 PM
There is another VERY good sale starting tomorrow, 08:00 our time at MR and I suggest calling them in the morning. Evidently, SOME MR NICE combos will sell for around $250.00 USD????, certainly worth a call if you are considering these packs.

I hope to see the G-7000 or even G-6000 in red go on sale before Christmas, as I would like a nice red pack for winter camping and have not had one since my buddy bought my Gregory Denali Pro. You never know, MR gives service and deals like no other gear maker I know of, so, one can hope......

Gateholio
06-08-2009, 09:01 PM
I love the MR pack....

When I lift the heavily loaded pack on to my back, it feels heavy...But when I get into the straps, I barely know it's there. It's simply the most comfortable pack I've ever worn.

TSW
06-09-2009, 03:46 PM
Just got my pack today. It took exactly 2 weeks to get to my door from the day I ordered it. So far, it looks like money well spent.

bigwhiteys
06-17-2009, 11:44 PM
I am 6' 2" and 215....according to their chart I though I should have been medium, but I missed the part about chest size...including that, I should have selected a large the first time.

The pack came in the mail today... So it was 8 business days to my door. I've already got it all adjusted and then loaded up, and think I've run into the same problem as you with the Yoke.

I am 5'10" and 215lbs. The Medium Yoke is too tight around my neck/upper back The "stiffener" is putting pressure on my neck and it was bothering me after 5 minutes let alone what 7 or 8 hours hiking in a day will do.

Was this the same issue you were having...? I've adjusted the yoke higher but it's not fixing it. I'll phone MR in the morning.

Carl

Devilbear
06-18-2009, 06:25 AM
If, you are 200+ lbs., you need a LARGE yoke and possibly a large waistbelt, as well. I prefer these even when I lose weight as they have room for the extra clothing you wear in cold hunting seasons.

They will send you another yoke, so, double check your belt to make sure it is large enough. When you reach my age, your belts tend to be larger.......... :)

bigwhiteys
06-18-2009, 07:17 AM
Hey DevilBear,

Thanks for that... I'll call them once they are open and get the Large Yoke, hopefully that remedies the issue.

Carl

Kody94
06-18-2009, 07:38 AM
Hey DevilBear,

Thanks for that... I'll call them once they are open and get the Large Yoke, hopefully that remedies the issue.

Carl

Typically they'll send you a Large, then you can compare the two, and put the one you don't want back in the box and send it back. Best customer service I have ever seen.

My problem wasn't comfort. The pack felt good right off the bat, although I thought the shoulder straps were a little narrow.

The problem was that I had to maximize the extension of the medium yoke in order to fit my longer back, and then had problems with the ascenders....there was not enough adjustment to keep the pack snug on my back and take the weight off of my shoulders when I was carrying a full load.

I did have the ascenders attached to the pack lid, as Devilbear recommends. I know for sure what he means now though, as my Crewcab without a daypack lid definitely has less ascender travel!

Anyhoo, the large yoke seems to have fixed the problem. I will know for sure in a couple weeks when I go for a test run or two with the pack before sheep season.

Cheers
4Ster

bigwhiteys
06-18-2009, 07:55 AM
Typically they'll send you a Large, then you can compare the two, and put the one you don't want back in the box and send it back. Best customer service I have ever seen.

My problem wasn't comfort. The pack felt good right off the bat, although I thought the shoulder straps were a little narrow.

The Medium yoke seems to have enough ascender travel but that curve it has (from the stiffener) is pushing right into the back of my neck and it's super uncomfortable, like I wouldn't wear it for an hour.. If I move my head back or side to side, it's like right there putting pressure on it.

My chest is 42" but it doesn't suggest moving to the large Yoke until you have 48" in chest size... I am built like a Rugby player, I have a thick neck and broad shoulders.

Carl

Gateholio
06-18-2009, 07:57 AM
T
Anyhoo, the large yoke seems to have fixed the problem. I will know for sure in a couple weeks when I go for a test run or two with the pack before sheep season.

Cheers
4Ster

Wear asbestos booties at mealtime!:wink:

Gateholio
06-18-2009, 08:01 AM
The Medium yoke seems to have enough ascender travel but that curve it has (from the stiffener) is pushing right into the back of my neck and it's super uncomfortable, like I wouldn't wear it for an hour.. If I move my head back or side to side, it's like right there putting pressure on it.

Carl

Ouch...Sounds like the large is the one you want, for sure. I'm only a couple of inches taller than you, large works good for me.

bigwhiteys
06-18-2009, 08:15 AM
Here is the spot on the Yoke that is bothering me... You think the large Yoke will remedy that?

http://www.bchuntingblog.com/mypics/mysteryranch.jpg

Kody94
06-18-2009, 08:19 AM

My chest is 42" but it doesn't suggest moving to the large Yoke until you have 48" in chest size... I am built like a Rugby player, I have a thick neck and broad shoulders.

Carl

Interesting. So I am thinking that if its not adusted out far enough, it rubs your shoulders, but if you adjust it out further, then it starts to rub your neck? The large might help. Its a little wider, so when adjusted low, it shouldn't rub the same.

Everyone's built differently, so this probably only works for me :), but I have mine adjusted so that the bottom of the Y on the yoke is about a half inch from touching my neck...at that spot the "stiffener" curves perfectly around my shoulders.

The other problem I had was that the shoulder straps on the medium were a little too short, and after a long day with a full pack it was bruising my "pec". With the right amount of ascender travel to lift the load off of the top of my shoulder, and with longer shoulder straps so I could snug them closer to the center of my chest with the chest strap, the large yoke fixed that too...

Once adjusted right (which was not as tough as it sounds) it is definitely the most comfortable pack I have ever used with a 50+ lb pack.

Kody94
06-18-2009, 08:20 AM
Here is the spot on the Yoke that is bothering me... You think the large Yoke will remedy that?

http://www.bchuntingblog.com/mypics/mysteryranch.jpg

There's a good chance it will. That spot is a little wider and deeper with the large yoke.

Kody94
06-18-2009, 08:22 AM
Wear asbestos booties at mealtime!:wink:

I keep a healthy distance between me an anything boiling. :) Not taking any chances this year...got big plans. :thumb:

bigwhiteys
06-18-2009, 08:27 AM
Interesting. So I am thinking that if its not adusted out far enough, it rubs your shoulders, but if you adjust it out further, then it starts to rub your neck? The large might help. Its a little wider, so when adjusted low, it shouldn't rub the same.

The fit on my shoulders seems fine, it's just that stiffener jabbing into my neck is not comfortable.

I just got off the phone with MR and they were surprised... They don't think I need the large yoke yet, they want me to play with the adjustments some more. Then said if they have to they will build a custom yoke for me.

I am going to play with it some more and see. Thanks again guys.

Carl

Kody94
06-18-2009, 08:44 AM
The fit on my shoulders seems fine, it's just that stiffener jabbing into my neck is not comfortable.

I just got off the phone with MR and they were surprised... They don't think I need the large yoke yet, they want me to play with the adjustments some more. Then said if they have to they will build a custom yoke for me.

I am going to play with it some more and see. Thanks again guys.

Carl

If it isn't bugging your shoulders, I'd try shortening the yoke and giving your neck more clearance from the Y. Loosen your shoulder straps to provide the needed "back length" if you know what I mean.

Do you have extra large traps?

bigwhiteys
06-18-2009, 03:31 PM
Because of my size and shape I sort of fall in between sizes with MR.

They are going to cut down a large yoke, so it will fit my torso and then send me that, free of charge. They are also going to send me a medium waist belt instead of large, as I have maxed out the adjustment with the large and if I lose anymore weight the large will be too big. That is also free of charge.

This sizing stuff can be expected when buying gear like this from 1000 miles away, but they are on top of it and the customer service raved about on here has lived up to it's standards!

Carl

budismyhorse
06-18-2009, 03:36 PM
great thread......the old three pocket Camp Trails was a little annoying last August.....I spent all my money on tents and optics that spring.

I am leaning towards the MR.

Kody94
06-18-2009, 03:37 PM
great thread......the old three pocket Camp Trails was a little annoying last August.....I spent all my money on tents and optics that spring.

I am leaning towards the MR.

If you bring beer, you can always drop by and check out mine. :biggrin:

budismyhorse
06-18-2009, 03:53 PM
One of these days I might actually show up Chris....just to warn ya!

blackbart
06-18-2009, 07:40 PM
Some on here should heed Gatehouse's advice. The rest of the thread sounds to me like a bunch of techno gloobily glook. Bigwhiteys, buy yourself a trapper nelson and strap some form of a bag onto it. This system worked for you fore fathers and should still be good enough for those that are harndened enough to sheep hunt. I persnally have a board waiting just for you to buy it, no need to worry about waiste belt fit on this model - it doesn't have one. This particular board has packed a whole lot of meat in its day, even comes with a hockey stick modification to the frame at no extra charge.

bigwhiteys
06-18-2009, 07:45 PM
Some on here should heed Gatehouse's advice. The rest of the thread sounds to me like a bunch of techno gloobily glook. Bigwhiteys, buy yourself a trapper nelson and strap some form of a bag onto it. This system worked for you fore fathers and should still be good enough for those that are harndened enough to sheep hunt. I persnally have a board waiting just for you to buy it, no need to worry about waiste belt fit on this model - it doesn't have one. This particular board has packed a whole lot of meat in its day, even comes with a hockey stick modification to the frame at no extra charge.

HaHa... You and my dad would get along great.

Carl

Gateholio
06-18-2009, 09:21 PM

My advise? My advise is to get a MR pack ASAP!!:biggrin:

Look at thier customer service, it's incredible!...Kifaru customer service is great, too. although I should start another thread on that...

Devilbear
06-19-2009, 07:07 AM
I have packed TONS of lookout supplies, fire fighting stuff, camping gear and quite a lot of meat on TN3s, they are an instrument of torture and the MR packs are light years beyond them. When you get to my age, you REALLY appreciate the advances in gear that have come about since the '60s, as they make things possible that one would not even try with obsolete gear.

Each to his own, but, I hope to NEVER even put on a TN3 again!

budismyhorse
06-19-2009, 09:38 PM
I hear ya Blackbart......but ...... they made very few packs back then, and I would bet a kings ransom that if they made a better pack back then........people would have bought them and used them. I know old outfitterst that walk hunched over with a bad back and blame it entirley on the Trapper Nelson that hangs in their basement.......my dad has 2, gave me one, but......no thanks.

Its pretty obvious guys didn't like them, even back then. I've seen foam taped around the shoulder straps....car seatbelts sewn in as a wastebelt, a similar addition like the hockeystick you mention......that is what breeds innovation.

But I understand your point and personally try to keep it to the basics as much as I can.

blackbart
06-19-2009, 10:54 PM
Thanks to all those that commented on the Trapper Nelson piece. Don't really use mine anymore, but wanted to add some humour to the techo gab that some seem to love. Should start some form of the "back to the basics" thread. I am halfway tempted to go mountain hunting with my trapper and model '94 30/30 to start things off (neither manufactured prior to '64 by the way)

My current pack is a badlands, but perhaps some on here want to keep focused on MR talk and as such I should leave things alone, but can't resist the temptation.

NO pack is perfect, but most are better than what was out there twenty years ago. Put the one that you have on, suffer the pain and be glad that you are allowed to hunt in this manner. No matter what your choice of pack is don't forget to bring a hefty supply of vitamin I on your hunt (Iboprofen sp??). This vitamin has been the key to overcoming many ailments, mostly caused by being out of shape! On a side note a mickey of whiskey fits very nicely in several of the pockets on my badlands and also is usefull in either curing ailments or celebrating (assuming your partners don't find it)!

Have fun mountain hunting in '09, may your blisters be large, your cramps painfull, your partners be injury free both prior to and during the hunt and your smiles are huge upon return. It is not the gear, but how, and how often it is used that matters.

Gateholio
06-20-2009, 03:34 AM
blackbart, I would concur that no pack is perfect, but for me, the MR| packs are pretty close. I really can't describe the comfort I get from loading on my pack with 50lbs and forgetting that it is there...:tongue:

bigwhiteys
07-04-2009, 08:48 AM
Finally the new waist belt from MR showed up on Thursday and I was able to get the pack fitted a little better. It's essentially fixed the issue I was having.

Went out for a hike with the pack loaded (50lbs) and am impressed so far, I can't honestly say it's the most comfortable pack yet, as I am still trying to find my "sweet spot" in the adjusment but that will get worked out over the next few hikes. The new waist belt helped out lots and the pockets are pretty handy too!

Carl

srupp
07-04-2009, 09:18 AM
sigh .....I 'blew" all this years funds for hunting and fishing on Swarovski Binos 8.5 x 42..EL..new grinder.. 1 3/4 hp..and a sheep trip..so I cant afford this ..but the MS..sure sounds sweet..I was particularly IMPRESSED with Gates comments about strapping on 50 #s in the pack and not knowing it was there..

Can anyone direct me to a "site" that talks about how to correctly adjust a HEAVY pack..I find that too much weight ends up riding on my shoulders..making it uncomfortable..I have the CABELAS pack guide series??..:roll:

Good thread..always ENJOY a good civilized discussion on gear..and the vast experience of guys like SSS, BIGWHITES BCRAMS AND OF COURSE DEVILBEAR...

cheers

Steven

bigwhiteys
07-04-2009, 09:57 AM
I find that too much weight ends up riding on my shoulders..making it uncomfortable..

Every packs adjustment is going to be different, I would first take a look at your waistbelt, If the pack is putting too much weight on the shoulders your belt maybe slipping? Not adjusted high enough...?

I don't think there is any "concrete" way to adjust a pack as we come in too many shapes and sizes... I just keep tinkering with mine until it's comfortable.

..I was particularly IMPRESSED with Gates comments about strapping on 50 #s in the pack and not knowing it was there..

Gate's is one of our larger mammals here in BC, he might not know if he had an extra 100lbs. I know the weight is there but with more of the weight placed on my hips now it's a better carry then my last pack (waistbelt would always slide down once my back got sweaty).

Carl

Gateholio
07-04-2009, 10:01 AM
Gate's is one of our larger mammals here in BC, he might not know if he had an extra 100lbs. I know the weight is there but with more of the weight placed on my hips now it's a better carry then my last pack (waistbelt would always slide down once my back got sweaty).

Carl

:p

That's what I mean, sorta. It's such a comfy carry that I dont' notice it.

What I *do* notice is that picking up the pack in my hands and lifting it on *does* feel heavy, but as soon as it's rested on my back, I stop noticing so much.;)

srupp
07-04-2009, 10:36 AM
thanks all..

Steven

Devilbear
07-04-2009, 11:23 AM
Stephen, there will probably be a taller NICE system introduced soon, as Mark, the Marketing guru at MR told me about three months ago. This would be a better choice for YOU, in all likelihood, than the models I have as you are a large guy.

I will know from friends in the industry within a couple of weeks when this will be out and will let you know so that you can perhaps obtain one.

srupp
07-04-2009, 02:04 PM
thank you...

Steven

bigwhiteys
07-25-2009, 12:06 PM
* Update

Now that I've had the opportunity to put some miles down with this pack I think it is everything they claim it to be. Built tough, comfortable and can haul really heavy loads.

The first few weeks I had it loaded down with about 50-55lbs, and it took me a while to find my happy place in the adjustment. The waist belt was pretty straight forward, but you really need to play with the shoulder straps and the load lifter straps until it sits just right. I find tightening the load lifters all the way, and then slacking off until comfortable has worked well for me.

The last few weeks I've had the pack loaded down with everything for 8 days and it comes in at about 62lbs, without my rifle.

That's the extra weight of the MR pack for ya though. With my rifle I'll be pushing close to 68lbs and since I've lost about 15lbs in the last few months I figure I am still ahead of the game :)

Carl

BlacktailStalker
07-25-2009, 12:13 PM
Looking forward to seeing pics of it/you coming out even heavier with a twist on each side :cool:

Everett
07-25-2009, 01:26 PM
Just weighed my wifes and mine own mystery ranch cerabus set up for an 8 day hunt hers weighs 38lb without rifle and binos and mine weighs 42lb without rifle and binos. Barely notice I am wearing it. The pack is 4lb heavier than my granite gear but feals alot lighter on my back with same load. I figure with each dog taking 10lb we can carry 120lb of meat out without killing ourselves.

Kody94
07-25-2009, 01:37 PM
* Update

Now that I've had the opportunity to put some miles down with this pack I think it is everything they claim it to be. Built tough, comfortable and can haul really heavy loads.

The first few weeks I had it loaded down with about 50-55lbs, and it took me a while to find my happy place in the adjustment. The waist belt was pretty straight forward, but you really need to play with the shoulder straps and the load lifter straps until it sits just right. I find tightening the load lifters all the way, and then slacking off until comfortable has worked well for me.

The last few weeks I've had the pack loaded down with everything for 8 days and it comes in at about 62lbs, without my rifle.

That's the extra weight of the MR pack for ya though. With my rifle I'll be pushing close to 68lbs and since I've lost about 15lbs in the last few months I figure I am still ahead of the game :)

Carl

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

Glad to hear you got it fitting right.

I just swapped out my waist belt for the pocket versions, and am just getting my gear together to load it up for a 10 day trip. One of the best parts of backpack trips is getting your gear together...never gets old. :)

Cheers
4Ster

Everett
07-25-2009, 01:46 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

Glad to hear you got it fitting right.

I just swapped out my waist belt for the pocket versions, and am just getting my gear together to load it up for a 10 day trip. One of the best parts of backpack trips is getting your gear together...never gets old. :)

Cheers
4Ster

I was looking at the pocket waistbelt and was wondering if a rangefinder will fit in it. I have a bushnell arc1500. Getting the gear together is definatly haf the fun.:D Its what motivates me to get in shape.

bayou
07-25-2009, 01:52 PM
Just weighed my wifes and mine own mystery ranch cerabus set up for an 8 day hunt hers weighs 38lb without rifle and binos and mine weighs 42lb without rifle and binos. Barely notice I am wearing it. The pack is 4lb heavier than my granite gear but feals alot lighter on my back with same load. I figure with each dog taking 10lb we can carry 120lb of meat out without killing ourselves.
Was curious as to what brand packs you are using on your dogs, and what size of dog are they.
Thanks

Everett
07-25-2009, 01:56 PM
They are australian cattle dogs one bag is a granite gear and one bag is a ruff wear. They are both small size bags.

bayou
07-25-2009, 01:59 PM
They are australian cattle dogs one bag is a granite gear and one bag is a ruff wear. They are both small size bags.
Thanks those are 2 of the brands I have been looking at of the 2 which do you prefer for quality and fit on the dog etc. a couple others I have looked into are wolf packs and mountain smith.
Thanks again

Gateholio
07-25-2009, 02:01 PM
J. The pack is 4lb heavier than my granite gear but feals alot lighter on my back with same load. .

That's my opinion on the MR packs, too. They are heavier, but they hold weight so well, it feels lighter. IMO.;-)

bigwhiteys
07-25-2009, 02:50 PM
Just weighed my wifes and mine own mystery ranch cerabus set up for an 8 day hunt hers weighs 38lb without rifle and binos and mine weighs 42lb without rifle and binos. Barely notice I am wearing it.

Post your gear list please... :) I've refined my gear list over the years and now only take items I'll be using, Coming in at 62lbs there is very little that I can trim down, I suspect you're list is a little more bare bones then mine and maybe some of us can learn.

42lbs for 8 days is an impressive feat! 5lbs salt, Zeiss 85mm spotter, SPOT, Tent, Food are some of my heavier items.

I just swapped out my waist belt for the pocket versions, and am just getting my gear together to load it up for a 10 day trip.

The pocketed waistbelts are the cats a$$. They will definitely fit a rangefinder.

Carl

Kody94
07-25-2009, 02:50 PM
I was looking at the pocket waistbelt and was wondering if a rangefinder will fit in it. I have a bushnell arc1500. Getting the gear together is definatly haf the fun.:D Its what motivates me to get in shape.

It will fit easily. They are pretty roomy. I also have a flip top pocket that fits my old Bushnell 800 perfectly...very handy little pocket.

Everett
07-25-2009, 03:53 PM
Thanks those are 2 of the brands I have been looking at of the 2 which do you prefer for quality and fit on the dog etc. a couple others I have looked into are wolf packs and mountain smith.
Thanks again

I think the ruff gear is a better fit but the granite gear is green so it cammo's him up.:lol:

Everett
07-25-2009, 04:30 PM
Post your gear list please... :) I've refined my gear list over the years and now only take items I'll be using, Coming in at 62lbs there is very little that I can trim down, I suspect you're list is a little more bare bones then mine and maybe some of us can learn.

42lbs for 8 days is an impressive feat! 5lbs salt, Zeiss 85mm spotter, SPOT, Tent, Food are some of my heavier items.

The pocketed waistbelts are the cats a$$. They will definitely fit a rangefinder.

Carl

Well first I don't carry salt, leupold lightweight spotter, no spot, tent weighs 5lb7oz we carry the bare minimum of food instant porridge for breakfast ,cliff bar and some jerky for lunch and feeze dry meel for dinner power bar energy goo and almonds in the day for extra calories. Have been known to eat small birds and rodents when hungry:lol:
We also have the lightest highest quality gear we can afford. Since my wife worked at an outdoor store for several years we could afford some nice stuff.
Couple places that its easy to lose weight
Sleeping bag our bags weigh 1lb7oz
Sleeping pad thermarest neo air 13oz
Stove, fuel and pot together weigh 16.5oz
Lose the heavy water bottles colapsible plastic
Dishes we use orikaso bowls and cups and bring one spoon now the spoon is heavy but I have had it since I joined the army when I was 17 and its traveled the world with me.
lose the water filter chlorine tablets
lose the heavy tripod most people can shed 2lb by going with a smaller tripod.
Clothes people tend to wear and carry very heavy spare clothes.
Weigh your stuff sacks I did this once and found I had a pound and a half in stuff sacks.
Headlamps, knives, saws, gamebags replace with lighter models

Hope this helps I will try and put a final list together if I have time before we leave I actualy hope to trim off a couple of pounds would like to be under 40lb when I am just backpacking and not hunting my pack never goes over 30lb mind you I don`t carry an 8lb pack

bigwhiteys
07-25-2009, 06:56 PM
I could get a lighter sleeping bag for early season, get a 65mm spotter instead of a 85mm, lighter tripod, don't take a video camera and take less salt would probably set me back a few pounds and another few grand!!! :) The gear I have now from pack, boots, optics, clothes etc... is all top dollar gear, what would you remove from this list?

Here it is:

Pack: Mystery Ranch NICE frame w/6500 Bag.

Clothing
- 5 Pair Thorlo Level III hiking socks. (expensive but worth every penny)
- 1 Pair Merino Wool Sock Liners.
- 1 mid-weight polartec fleece pullover.
- 1 pair North Face Paramount Convertible Pants (2 pairs including the ones I wear)
- 1 pair light-weight thermal underwear. (use these for sleeping in or on colder days)
- 1 pair boxer shorts. (2 pairs including the one I wear - When your in the mountains nobody cares)
- 1 light weight North Face wick away t-shirt.
- 1 pair lightweight rainpants. (rockwater designs)
- 1 lightweight rain jacket. (Helly Hansen Packable)

Sleeping/Shelter
- 1 Lightweight backpacking sleeping bag. (3lbs) (good to about -5c - I will upgrade this bag soon)
- 1 Silcoat packcover (essential for keeping your pack bone dry)
- Prolite 4 Thermarest. (I own 3 thermarests. This one is nice & light and compacts very small)
- 1 Sil-Tarp II 8'x10'. (These lightweight tarps are awesome for a fast light weight shelter)
- 1 Integral Designs MK-3 Expedition Tent (just under 5lbs)

Equipment/Optics/Misc.
- Petzl Myo Xp Headlamp. (very bright - runs on 3 AA batteries.)
- Handmade Hunting Knife (could shave weight here with a smaller buck or puma knife.)
- 1 pair Swarovski 8x30 Binoculars.
- 1 Zeiss 85mm Spotting Scope. (w/ Manfrotto 718 SHB lightweight tripod)
- First Aid Kit (Tylenol,Ibuprofen,Antiseptic,Bandaids,Bandages,Ga uze,Penaten, Lip Balm)
- 1 Tube firepaste (this stuff is the best firestarter I have used yet - Perfect for backpacking)
- 4 "AA" batteries. (I could probably get away with less but just in case...)
- 1 TrailBlazer Buck Saw (This handy unit breaks down into a light aluminum tube. Makes getting wood for your fire much easier.)
- 12 Federal 130 Grn .270 Rounds (3 in my magazine and 9 on the butt of my rifle)
- 100' Poly Rope. (Maybe a little overkill but I like to make a good camp)
- Tikka Lite S/S .270 W/Bushnell Elite 3200 Scope. (Great Gun - Accurate & Light!)
- 1 Sony Handycam Video Camera (20x Optical Zoom W/Zeiss Lenses)
- 1 Canon 8.0 MP Digital Camera (Great Small Compact Camera)
- Garmin GPS 60scx (loaded with local maps)
- SPOT Satellite locator.
- 5Lbs of fine grain salt.
- 2 heavy garbage bags for groundsheet.
- 4 quarter game bags.
- 1 scalpal with 4 #20 blades.
- 1 bic lighter
- 1 roll asswipe
- 2 packs of 15 baby wipes.
- 2 "chinook" trekking poles.
- 1 set of MEC gortex Gaitors.

Food & Cooking.
- Jetboil Stove (w/1 large 220g Canister of fuel - Good for 10 days of boiling water for drinks and meals)
- 2 1 Liter Soft Plastic Water Containers (In case you need to pack extra water)
- 1 1.5 liter Nalgene bottle (Strap to outside of my pack)
- 1 Titanium "Spork"
- Pristine Water Purification Drops

Breakfast
- 4 MountainHouse Granola W/Blueberries (Great Filling Breakfast)
- 3 Packets of Maple & Brown Sugar Oatmeal (Great Light Breakfast)

Lunches/Snacks (I don't eat much throughout the day)
- 8 Clif "Builder" bars.
- 1 Ritter Sport Almonds Chocolate Bar. (eat a few squares per serving.)
- 1 Ritter Sport Hazlenut Chocolate Bar. (eat a few squares per serving.)
- 2 Nut & Raisin Chocolate Bars. (eat a few squares per serving.)
- 8 Individual "Emergen-C" drink packets
- Jerky, Pepperoni as snacks.

Dinners. (all mountainhouse)
- 1 Chicken Teriyaki W/Rice.
- 1 Turkey Tettrazinni.
- 1 Beef Stew (Really Good)
- 1 Chili Mac W/Beef.
- 1 Noodles W/Chicken.
- 4 Pasta Primavera (Really Good)

Total Pack Weight = 62 lbs without my Rifle.

Everett
07-25-2009, 07:39 PM
Pretty good for a hunter:p
I will do a quick comparison and see how much weight I can find in comparison to our gear.
Well 1lb differance in packs to start
I only bring two pairs of socks
1lb9oz on the sleeping bag
10oz on the sleeping pad
1lb15oz on the spotting scope
no video camera, spot, gaiters, nalgene bottle or salt thats good for 8lb
7oz on the stove
So that all comes to roughly 13lb 6oz add in the fact that I split the tent kitchen, spotting scope, tripod and other little bits with my wife and your down to a 42lb pack. So you need to spend a couple thousand on gear and get a hunting partner to carry half your gear and your set.:lol:

bigwhiteys
07-25-2009, 08:15 PM
I only bring two pairs of socks - Socks are a luxury item for me. Can't sacrifice these. :)
1lb9oz on the sleeping bag - Yes, I could get a better/lighter bag. What are you using?
10oz on the sleeping pad - My thermarest is only 4 or 5 ounces heavier, and a 4 season.
1lb15oz on the spotting scope - My scope is heavier, but one of the best, worth it's heavier weight for sure, but with that you need the heavier tripod.

no video camera, spot, gaiters, nalgene bottle or salt thats good for 8lb7oz on the stove

I could do without the video camera, but I've taken lots of cool vids and enjoy that, SPOT is a requirement, Gaiters make a difference in the country we hunt and the Nalgene is my water bottle. I drink lots of water, salt we also need to preserve a cape. The stove I use, is pot/stove all in one, so no dishes come along.

Not much I can sacrifice there...:-(

add in the fact that I split the tent kitchen, spotting scope, tripod and other little bits with my wife

I hope underwear isn't one of those little bits! :lol:

Carl

Everett
07-25-2009, 10:09 PM
We are running mont bell bags rated -1c very nice sleeping bag you must be using a short prolite because I thought the regulars were 23oz. Put my old short ultralite on scale this year and found out it weighed 28oz . Bought the neo air that week.
I compromised on the spotting scope do to weight would be nice to have that extra clarity but I am not willing to carry it. You should try switching to a camelback bladder way more conveniant and you drink more as a result. I usauly leave my capes in the bush but last year I brought out a cape for the local outfitter because he asked for it. Didn't have any salt so I stuck it an ice cold creek for about 5 hours than left it wet and it survived 3 days with no bad affects. Might try it again just out of curiosity.
I used to wear gaiters everyday to work for years and always wore them for hiking but for some weird reason I never wear them hunting.
The end result with pack weight is what a person is willing to go without I am willing to go without alot mostly due to a shitty back and a bad knee that and plain laziness:-) One thing I splurged on last year was a light four peice fishing rod eating fresh fish instead of insta muck was a nice treat.

Krico
07-25-2009, 11:42 PM
I usauly leave my capes in the bush but last year I brought out a cape for the local outfitter because he asked for it.

Please tell me this is a muley cape, and not something like a sheep or goat. And if it was not a muley, please tell me you got paid:eek:

Everett
07-26-2009, 09:14 AM
It was a Caribou no I didn't ask him for money the outfitter had been kind enough to offer us the use of a cabin if the weather went bad. People doing people favours

Devilbear
07-26-2009, 09:45 AM
I have a LOT of the latest highend gear and have been lightweight backpacking since the early '60s, a five day trip with everything goes 55 lbs. and ten days is 65 lbs. I KNOW how to cut weight, but, there are SOME things I will not do without.

I usually backpack solo, as my two best buddies are younger men with young families and jobs, however, while I CAN go MUCH lighter, I enjoy having my Leica optics, Gitso carbon tripod, and maybe a camera. So, it really comes down to what YOU feel comfortable with and are willing to pack.

I have one camp that weighs 11 lbs. and WILL handle ANY B.C. weather, a Kifaru Siwash fully rigged and many light rifles. This, with one light knife and only my old Zeiss 8x30s for optics works fine for 2-3 day deer/grouse hunts, but, for longer forays, I go to my MR NICE systems and more gear.

Everett, where did you find your Neoair and how do you like it?

I also MUCH PERFER an I.D. North Twin Primaloft bag at 3-12 over any other bag(s) and I have WM and FF ultralight bags which weigh 1-15. However, having had my bag get wet, I now will only use Pl. bags when going solo...and, I pack a VERY extensive 1st. aid kit, including morphine, a mask, ep pen and so on...I do not take chances as I have had too many friends/colleagues die in the mountains.

I will post a couple of lists here, soon, right now, I have wrenched my shoulder and am too sore to type much.

Everett
07-26-2009, 09:55 AM
Everett, where did you find your Neoair and how do you like it?

We bought ours from Vallhalla Pure in Courtenay hands down the most comfortable light weight sleeping matress ever. Though I do wonder about durability but they are so comfortable I may be willing to buy a new one every year. I woud'nt use it in the winter as the R rating is only 2.5

Devilbear
07-26-2009, 10:03 AM
Thanks, bud, I have had one on order for about three months and while I have Exped, BAIAC, various T-rests and CC foam pads, this one really interests me.

I will call around to various Valhalla Pure stores and see if they have more.

BTW, I have some pretty sound info. that Integral Designs, who make among the finest gear of anyone has a new eVent shelter that will be ideal for backpack hunting and will weigh LESS than 3 lbs......now, THAT is something that lots of hardcore alpine folks can benefit from, IMHO.

Ambush
07-26-2009, 02:50 PM
Everett, where did you find your Neoair and how do you like it

I bought one to, not realizing that my my old Therm-A-rest patching kit will not work with the new mattress. You need the new "Light" series patch kit. Nobody that sells the Neo-Air even knew that! I checked from MEC to Bass-Pro and nothing. I finaly bought a McNett patch kit that should work while I find the right one.

The Neo-Air feels very comfortable and the weight and bulk [or lack of] are fantastic.

But the rubber hits the road, or more precisely, the mattress hits the alpine, in two weeks and I'll know for sure if it's as good as it seems.

Krico
07-26-2009, 02:54 PM
It was a Caribou no I didn't ask him for money the outfitter had been kind enough to offer us the use of a cabin if the weather went bad. People doing people favours

Wow, you are a nice guy!!! Those things are worth upwards of $800 if you get a nice one. I hope the cabin was warm!

I guess I'm a penny pincher!

Everett
07-26-2009, 10:31 PM
Wow, you are a nice guy!!! Those things are worth upwards of $800 if you get a nice one. I hope the cabin was warm!

I guess I'm a penny pincher!

Where do you sell them for that sort of money? As I am headed Caribou hunting in three weeks. Even my lazy ass would hump one out of the bush for that sort of coin.

bigwhiteys
02-09-2010, 05:30 PM
For those interested, I finally completed my review on the MR NICE 6500 on my hunting blog.

Mystery Ranch NICE 6500 Review (http://www.bchuntingblog.com/2010/02/mystery-ranch-nice-6500-review/)

So far still really happy with the purchase! If you're thinking of buying one of these packs no doubt you're doing some Googling... You'll find my review there too.

Carl

Devilbear
02-09-2010, 07:18 PM
I read it, good stuff and I agree on those military style buckles, they suck the big one.

On the Barney's frame, I have not seen one, but, I have owned/used several of that design and they are really good for large, awkward loads, such as an outboard or "bone-in" hunk of Moose. However, they do not ride as close to your spine and this is important in really rough country.

I had a full house Kifaru Longhunter Rendevous and tested it against the two NICE systems I currently have; there was simply NO comparison when the weight got over about 50 lbs. I have a Kifaru "Siwash" rigged with lots of goodies and am going to sell it; it is a FINE rig, ideal for deer and grouse hunting, but, it is good for about 50 lbs. and the MR NICE will do twice that in comfort, well, comparatively speaking........ :)

Glad you are happy with it, most guys sure seem to be.

MikeH
02-09-2010, 08:26 PM
They make nice packs enjoy!:-D

Kody94
02-09-2010, 08:28 PM
For those interested, I finally completed my review on the MR NICE 6500 on my hunting blog.

Mystery Ranch NICE 6500 Review (http://www.bchuntingblog.com/2010/02/mystery-ranch-nice-6500-review/)

So far still really happy with the purchase! If you're thinking of buying one of these packs no doubt you're doing some Googling... You'll find my review there too.

Carl

Awesome review Carl. I agree on ALL counts.

Gateholio
02-09-2010, 09:38 PM
I liek the buckles...they don't loosen up without you WANTING them to loosen up.:mrgreen:

Kody94
02-09-2010, 09:42 PM
I liek the buckles...they don't loosen up without you WANTING them to loosen up.:mrgreen:

I liked them, until a few of them got a little jammed up (from getting dirty, and the strap stiffening up) and had a bitch of a time moving one when I was cold and wet as Carl mentions.

I don't dislike them at all, but they don't jazz me up as much as they first did. :)

bruin
02-09-2010, 10:42 PM
Excellent review Carl. I agree with all but one thing you said. I left the mini pack harness on the underside of the lid. Several times on short final stalk on a ram I have left my pack behind and thrown on the small pack with camera, rangefinder, lens cleaner etc etc. This also works really well as a gun rest for the all important shot.

bigwhiteys
02-09-2010, 10:46 PM
Excellent review Carl. I agree with all but one thing you said. I left the mini pack harness on the underside of the lid. Several times on short final stalk on a ram I have left my pack behind and thrown on the small pack with camera, rangefinder, lens cleaner etc etc. This also works really well as a gun rest for the all important shot.

Good to hear somebody elses perspective. It's too late for me now though as I already cut the straps off with scissors. :mrgreen:

Carl

twanger
02-12-2010, 10:30 AM
Hey guys on your 6500 is there any set up for water hydration / camelbak. Could a guy use the top day pack for this, or is the hip belt with water bottle holders better.
Thanks

bigwhiteys
02-12-2010, 10:37 AM
Hey guys on your 6500 is there any set up for water hydration / camelbak. Could a guy use the top day pack for this, or is the hip belt with water bottle holders better.
Thanks

There is provisions inside the main pack for hydration... However I just take a 1.5L nalgene and hook it onto the lower portion of the shoulder straps with a caribeener. Very easy to access and out of the way.

Carl

twanger
02-12-2010, 10:44 AM
Thanks Carl, have a 6500 orderd and was wondering :mrgreen:. Great reveiw by the way.
Duane