PDA

View Full Version : sheep hunting

bigben
06-04-2009, 07:09 PM
Does anyone know on what to take on a stone sheep fly in hunt. I recall in one of this thread someone had a list of essentials that you would have to pack for a 12 day sheep hunt. Any info on equipment and food sources would be much appreciated. Thanxs

BlacktailStalker
06-04-2009, 07:23 PM
bigwhiteys has a good list I'm sure he'll post.

Kody94
06-04-2009, 07:39 PM
Don't be afraid to use the search function for "packing list", "backpacking list", "sheep gear list", etc.

Lots of GREAT info has been posted here in the past, that will probably not be re-posted.

Bigwhiteys has posted his many times and its very good.

Huey
06-05-2009, 10:54 PM
Hey there,

I've recently been scouring over some lists and used many different resources to begin gearing up for backpacking sheep hunts. Here are some of the resources I've 'stolen' from to create my own customized gear list (wish list). Hope this helps and thanks bigwhiteys for your help!

I've got everything but my sleeping bag and am leaning towards an integral designs synthetic...

http://bchuntingblog.com/2007/01/backpack-hunting-for-sheep-in-bc-what-gear-do-you/

http://www.canadianmtnoutfitters.com/Self%20Guided%20Hunter%27s%20Equipment%20Checklist .doc

http://www.billymollsadventures.com/SheepGear.htm

Springer
06-06-2009, 12:47 AM
Thanks for the lists Huey. I am planning my first Sheep Hunt for a rocky Bighorn this August. My dilemma is switching over from all my gear in my backpack to putting some in packboxes and where to put my pack...Guess these trial runs coming up will help, but any help from the experienced guys would sure help on this.

boxhitch
06-06-2009, 07:37 AM
My dilemma is switching over from all my gear in my backpack to putting some in packboxes and where to put my pack...
Thats a dilemma ? Good one to have.
Balance is key. keep the beer on one side so that box goes to the creek.
Solar shower bag is a must.
Keep cameras and optics on your back in a day pack, topload the packer frame.

358mag
06-06-2009, 09:36 PM
Thats a dilemma ? Good one to have.
Balance is key. keep the beer on one side so that box goes to the creek.
Solar shower bag is a must.
Keep cameras and optics on your back in a day pack, topload the packer frame.
so how do you fit them all into the PA 12 ????

Nimrod
06-07-2009, 06:32 AM
Keep cameras and optics on your back in a day pack

Good advice !!
Had a fairly expensive 35mm ( back before digital came out) it was in the saddle bag of the horse I was riding, well ... during a glassing session that bugger had a major itch...he ground that saddle bag into the dirt hard, camera never worked after that.

Rackmastr
06-07-2009, 10:47 AM
Some great info on those links!! Lots of good stuff on this site too for gear lists, etc...

I am planning an 8 day trip into the Willmore in Alberta for bighorns.....have been scouring my gear and trying to get it tuned it really good for the hunt!!

Now I just need to get my ass in shape!!

ryanb
06-07-2009, 05:31 PM
I recall in one of this thread someone had a list of essentials that you would have to pack for a 12 sheep hunt.

Good luck packing 12 sheep out...:mrgreen: