PDA

View Full Version : Bull Elk Calls ?

Robert
06-04-2009, 10:06 AM
I would like your advice on the Brand or model of Bull Elk calls that work the best for you and where would i get them. thanks

elkdom
06-04-2009, 10:23 AM
I would like your advice on the Brand or model of Bull Elk calls that work the best for you and where would i get them. thanks

there are many bugling elk calls available, no particular call is the do it all magic answer to all situations, cow and calf calls are very important also.

knowing what kind of call at the Right time is paramount , a loud CHALLENGING bugle can drive a Bull crazy, or may send him running with his harem into the next valley,

go to a good HUNTING sports shop ask the staff to DEMO some bugles, buy a good cassette tape or DVD on elk calling, learn to mimic! all elk calls, read all you can on elk bugling and rutting bulls,,,

personally I like POWER bugle, use the grunt tube for LOUD POWERFUL bull bugling, or remove the mouth piece to make cow/ calf sounds or close up bull whistles,,,

moosinaround
06-04-2009, 10:31 AM
I use the ELK power bugle, the hoochie momma from primos, and I am picking up an ELK cow talker from ELK soon. I have watched videos, and listened to tapes. The funnest training has been in the bush. When I heard my first elk bugle back, I was hooked! Last year was my first season hunting solo for elk, and I have to tell you it is like an addiction now! I dream of rutting bugling elk! I have had lots of help from experienced elk hunters, and I thank them! Moosin

palmer
06-04-2009, 10:31 AM
POWER BUGLE by elk inc...HOCHIE MOMMA by primos....

brotherjack
06-04-2009, 10:59 AM
If you find something that works, you're doing better than me. I've tried most of the common ones on the market over the years, and as far as I can tell, this whole elk calling thing is a myth. :P

That said, a Power Bugle and a Hoochie Mamma both make it pretty easy to sound more/less exactly like a real elk. The others I've tried have worked too, but weren't as easy to use as those two.

Ron.C
06-04-2009, 11:16 AM
Good info by elkdom,

Take some time to learn how to use whichever call(s) you buy. And then the hard part is learning when to and when not to call, and what type of call to use"bugle/mew/chirp/ to use given the situation. But that's the fun part about elk hunting, learning as you go. And there is no fool proof method/call that'll work in every situation.

As far as bugles,I used to use the Primos bugle, but after hearing a friend on the E.L.K. power bugle, I switched. I'm not saying the primos Bugle doesn't work, because I've had bull answe me on it, but the E.L.K. bugle just sounds closer to most elk I've heard. You can get this call online or I've seen them in the stores in Cranbrook when I was there and I'm sure you can get them most other places as well.

capper911
06-04-2009, 11:32 AM
Learn how to use the reed type bugles by Carlton calls, They take some serious practice and months of choking on the damn things till you figure it out. On the up side it can be used hands free, different reeds allow you to make different calls,sattelite bull, aggressive, etc, even cow calls!! I have used the power bugle, It's real user friendly but opted to learn the reed type for the hands free convenience. For practice look up calling on youtube and try to mimic them.Works well. Good luck.

tuchodi
06-04-2009, 11:40 AM
Like most guy's have said it takes lots of practice and also get some good video's to watch. I personally use the "Elk Inc" Power Bugle for bulls and their Elk Cow Talk call for cows. I use the bugle only to locate the bulls and then just use the Cow Calls to bring them in. If you use the bugle to much it can scare the bulls off more often than bringing them in. Lots of practice in the field will help you get an idea how elk react in differant situations and also at differant times of the year. Good Hunting

todbartell
06-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Primos sonic dome mouth calls. Learn how to use them and you'll never use another type

rocksteady
06-04-2009, 01:49 PM
I carry now at least 4 reed calls (Primos Sonic Dome) of various bull sizes (spike/satellite/herd bull) as well as 2 hootchie mamas....

Variety is the spice of life when you are trying to fool a bull...

I start to pack and practice with my reeds as of August 1st...

todbartell
06-04-2009, 09:31 PM
I carry now at least 4 reed calls (Primos Sonic Dome) of various bull sizes (spike/satellite/herd bull) as well as 2 hootchie mamas....

new for 2009 Primos makes a Baby Hoochie to reproduce calf sounds to better simulate a herd