PDA

View Full Version : brown bear

bearhunter338-06
06-03-2009, 05:34 PM
I thought I would let all you fellow bear hunter hear of my sighting today. I am not telling where this happend ( all though a couple of you who know where I am will figger it out). I had to drive into town today to see the doctor. As I was driving into town along the highway a buitifull chocolate coloured black bear ran out in front of my truck. I would say I missed him by a good foot. He was about a 5 foot bear, as he disapeired into the bush I yeld at him to do that in the bush when I have my rifle. I don't thinkl he was listening to me though.

Sorry no pictures but at least I now know of 5 places for brown coloured black bears.:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Steeleco
06-03-2009, 05:55 PM
Lucky for the bear you weren't late for you appoinment!!! This year it seems that brown's are everywhere except the rock?

hunter1947
06-04-2009, 05:37 AM
This kind of thing happens to me lots of times but it is deer not bear ,LOL.

06-04-2009, 09:46 AM
I spotted a nice 6 foot brown bear the other day, but I could not tell if it was a grizz or not after seeing a grizly in the area a day before. and did not want to take the risk of shooting it. it was large enough that it had a small hump on the back, and I could not find any tracks because it wasn't walking on mud or dirt, just grass.

any tips on identifying one other than the face and paws?

Steeleco
06-04-2009, 09:57 AM
This is one time when the old saying "if in doubt, don't shoot" applies. Without a clear view you made the right call.

I once saw a smallish grizz walking the road up from Lightning lakes in Manning. I never thought for a second it was a grizz, the picture the wife took later proved it was, lucky we weren't hunting!!

06-04-2009, 11:05 AM
yeah It really pisses me off that I cant tell. I may be looking at this amazing phase black bear with a clean shot. or a grizz which I don't want to have anything to do with it.
are there any signs to look for?
and do big black bears have small humps?

The grizz I saw the night before was about the same body size, but the hump on the mystery bear was much much smaller. I wish I would of had my camera on me.

Steeleco
06-04-2009, 02:54 PM
What region were you in? Go back and this time take pictures!!!

06-04-2009, 03:29 PM
I think thats what I'll have to do.