PDA

View Full Version : Is the bear with line-worm edible?

Bruinhunter
06-03-2009, 12:08 PM
My friend just got his first bear. Unfortunitely he shot bear's belly. It was messy when field dressing and he found there are some line worms inside. How do you think about the meat? Is it edible?:roll:

gary mok
06-03-2009, 12:49 PM
No problem at all,bear always has some worms inside even human being dose,Don't worry about it.

lilhoss
06-03-2009, 01:20 PM
Circumstances regarding the shot,kill time,cleaning,and access to water re:washing,etc.,all come into play.If the bear was killed fairly quickly and the "gutshot" was washed right away with clean water,then maybe.If the insides got on the inside too much,and with the worms,I would have to pass. "Edible portions for removal". Very much a field judgement call.You could always give some to your "buddies" to try .:lol:

MichelD
06-03-2009, 01:51 PM
Those worms have been in every bear I've got since 1976.

You can't catch anything.

Don't worry about it.

Can't face a few filial worms?

Don't shoot bears.

ryanb
06-04-2009, 07:41 AM
Finding the worms probably had little to do with the gutshot. You can usually find them all over in the bear.

One of the reasons only my dog eats bear meat anymore (cooked!!!).

betteroffishing
06-04-2009, 08:10 AM
in the 3 bears i have been a party to harvesting i have yet to come across these worms and i am quite attentive and do actively seek them out as i am currious and have been led to believe that as stated in the above post ALL bears have them.. maybe it has to do with the age of the bear as i can say all mine were smaller / younger bears.

huntcoop
06-04-2009, 08:42 AM
Still pretty tough to enjoy that stick of pepperoni.......

sawmill
06-04-2009, 09:17 AM
Still pretty tough to enjoy that stick of pepperoni.......
OH YA.........That`s why I don`t hunt them anymore,too much wildlife in the wildlife.:eek: