PDA

View Full Version : taxidermist in GVA?

weiss
06-02-2009, 11:27 PM
Looking for taxidermist in Greater Vancouver area, preferably either Delta or Burnaby. My first post here by the way, you guys owe me warm welcome :smile:.

Cheers

Gateholio
06-02-2009, 11:30 PM
Ganders taxidermy in Surrey delivered me the most beautiful blacktail head mount recently...

Wild Images, one of our sponsers, is also excellent.

NaStY
06-03-2009, 05:47 AM
Welcome to the site.....

Now you OWE us a GOOD joke.......

chilcotin hillbilly
06-03-2009, 07:12 AM
Frank Gilbert of Fur and Feathers in Surrey, on 86th ave and about 123rd. Top notch work he has done a couple deer and a full mount cougar which is a world class job. Ganders is fine as well, but I would say they are best known for their fish.

1/2 slam
06-03-2009, 07:48 AM
I'll second what hillbilly said. Frank does all of my work (20plus)

Blainer
06-03-2009, 07:58 AM
Ganders has a good website,if you are interested.
google Ganders taxidermy.

Steeleco
06-03-2009, 08:25 AM
Ray Wiens also a site sponsor, is well worth the drive to south Langley. Great work and speedy turn times.

06-03-2009, 09:16 AM
yeah ray was nice and quick when I got my first bear rug done.

lip_ripper00
06-03-2009, 11:28 AM
Their is a Taxi, in Burnaby they are on Kingsway across from the lawn bowling green at central park. I have never used them before, stopped in to have a look. I was quoted 190.00 per foot to rug out a bear

digger dogger
06-03-2009, 11:45 AM
frank @ fur & feathers, like the hillbilly said world class work.. you get wat u pay for! i would not bring a trophy of a life time any where else..

BeerBaitnAmmo
06-04-2009, 09:57 PM
Terry at Natures Window in Agassiz does great bears.... bit of a drive though........ good prices

HD95
06-07-2009, 08:16 AM
IMO;there is no better taxidermist than Frank Gilbert of Fur&Feathers.

Wolfman
06-07-2009, 09:54 AM
Their is a Taxi, in Burnaby they are on Kingsway across from the lawn bowling green at central park. I have never used them before, stopped in to have a look. I was quoted 190.00 per foot to rug out a bear

Not sure if that guy is still there. That area is under huge development.

lip_ripper00
06-07-2009, 10:10 AM
Not sure if that guy is still there. That area is under huge development.

Yes he's still their, I was in acouple of weeks ago ,if your past try to get the name.

weiss
06-24-2009, 01:27 AM
Welcome to the site.....

Now you OWE us a GOOD joke.......

Ok. The story is rather old but I doubt you ever heard it. Happening takes place in Russian Siberian "taiga", somewhere where people do not normally live. I will speak as if it was me in that story.

"we had to fly helicopter into that geologysts' camp with our brand-new-made-in-america mobile lab kit. Camp had no name, just "tochka numer..." - "tochka" means "dot". As if dot from pencil on a map. Area was some kind of interbreed of taiga and tundra, you know, not really a taiga but not tundra yet. Some trees here and there. Lots of lakes in summer but complete white out in winter. Featureless and hard to navigate area.

Anyways, here we are in our Mi8 helicopter in a middle of nowhere trying to locate our "tochka". Me, lab assistant and pilot. It just snowed again this morning so everything is white of course and of course we are running out of fuel. Pilot under great pressure from our side gave it another few minutes before we had to turn back home. And that is when we see that lonely figure skiing through bush with shotgun (a.k.a. "berdanka") and backpack. "we should ask him where the hell are we" thought both of us - me and lab assistant.

we scream to pilot and point out to that figure, he seemingly understands and goes down low and hovers close to that poor bugger. Where did he come from anyway, in this middle of nowhere? Anyways, we opened the door and dropped rope ladder and wave our hands and scream to the hunter. He understands we want him inside our chopper to talk. Makes his way to under the ladder, takes off his skies and backpack and "berdanka" and climbs the ladder.

The rest of it like a slow motion movie to me. The moment he steps into the helicopter I, with horror, see his left foot hover over our "million dollar" brand new lab kit, you know, all those litmus paper and pipette fine jizmo. I am opening my mouth to shout at him, but lab assistand was rather younger and smarter and faster fellow. Having no time to communicate otherwise he just takes a good swing at our guest hitting him right in the middle of his face. Hunter loose balance and flies out of a chopper and lands on his back with outstretched arms and all, like in a comic movie.

That same moment pilot turns back to us and screams something inaudible and point at his wristwatch and fuel gages and immediately takes off.

I for years from then still think about that hunter. How was that to him? I am imagining that chopper hovering and asking me come inside just to deliver a good smack to my face. And then flying away as if it was the sole purpose of their visit."

SHACK
06-24-2009, 06:25 AM
If memory serves, its Steve Kulash on Kingsway in BBY (not so good), Ganders does good work, but I will echo most others.....Frank Gilbert of Fur and Feathers IS the taxi you want to use!

silvertipp
06-24-2009, 03:26 PM
it is steve kulash agree with just ok mounts good stalk on supplies thow
gander is one of the best takes awhile thow due to volume

bsa30-06
06-24-2009, 04:24 PM

Steve Kulash i believe is the guy your talking about, saw a beautiful whitetail shoulder mount come out his front door last week.Anybody ever use him or are able to talk about his work.?good/bad?