PDA

View Full Version : Phase colour bears???

Vanman1985
06-02-2009, 08:41 PM
Hi guys and gals, I was out at work last Thrusday and I spotted a phase colour bear, and I got wondering how rare are they??? I spotted this bear about 2pm with a larger plain bear. At first I thought they were cows as they were only half a kilometer from other cows, and the one bear was an orange/blonde colour similar to the colour of a cow. I've seen some of you have taken them but I have never seen one in the wild before. Anyways thought it was cool to see and wondering what your thoughts were.

Brambles
06-02-2009, 11:33 PM
I've been seeing more color phazed bears than black bears recently. Perhaps its the areas I"m hunting or ???? but they seem to be more and more common

Steeleco
06-03-2009, 12:12 AM
Welcome to the site. I for one have seen more browns than blacks in the last two seasons. The area we hunt in 8-05 has plenty of non black bears. 4 of the last 6 bears shot in my group, were brown. The one in my avatar seems to the biggest of the bunch, maybe he was Papa!!!

leadpillproductions
06-03-2009, 01:10 AM
Out of all the bears ive shot i have never shot a coloured bear yet .(mad)

Stone Sheep Steve
06-03-2009, 04:50 AM
I've been seeing more color phazed bears than black bears recently. Perhaps its the areas I"m hunting or ???? but they seem to be more and more common

Same here. Of the first 15 or so bears seen this year at least 10 of them were not black.
Saw 11 on Sunday and 9 of them were black. Seem to come in waves I guess??

SSS

NaStY
06-03-2009, 05:47 AM
Ive seen 2 browns and 1 black thus far.....

TIKA 300
06-03-2009, 06:51 AM
Went for a walk along the dyke @ the wing dam last night in Deroach,out of 3 bears i seen 2 were choco brownies.....:biggrin:

bsa30-06
06-03-2009, 04:17 PM
Out of all the bears ive shot i have never shot a coloured bear yet .(mad)

HMMM.....i have only shot two bears but both were colored phase bears.Never shot a black one yet.

d6dan
06-03-2009, 04:20 PM
Ya got to come to the Island. All I've seen is Black phases here on the mid Island..

Vanman1985
06-03-2009, 09:45 PM
Do all bears go through this "phase" at a certain point, or is it a genetic thing????

Steeleco
06-04-2009, 12:05 AM
Do all bears go through this "phase" at a certain point, or is it a genetic thing????

If I understand your question, they are born the colour they will keep all their lives. The term "Phase" refers to the variety of colours that Black bears can be seen in. White = Spirit Bear, Gray = Glacier bear, brown, cinnamon and blonde.

Vanman1985
06-04-2009, 05:51 PM
That makes sence. What I was wondering was, if the bears at a certain maturaty go through a colour change, or if thats the way they are born. I kinda figured that they stayed one colour but I wasn't sure if the "phase" actually meant a portion of their lives. If it did you'd think a guy would see a hole lot more of them! Anyways anyone got any pictures kickin around of their coloured bears???

boxhitch
06-04-2009, 06:16 PM
That makes sence. What I was wondering was, if the bears at a certain maturaty go through a colour change, or if thats the way they are born. You are not alone in this line of thought. Others believe many of the color bears are young females that will change to black in maturity.

redthorn
06-04-2009, 08:19 PM
You are not alone in this line of thought. Others believe many of the color bears are young females that will change to black in maturity.

Maybe so, but the brown that my cousin got on sunday was a definite older boar. He was quite cut up in the face and neck from fights, and the one ear was shredded.

adamgarbett
06-04-2009, 08:45 PM
i dinged a mint cinnamon on sunday as well not a imperfection to b found, except for the little poke from my 300 win mag haha. Can u shoot white/spirit bears? has any1? any pictures?

JeremyCarrano302
06-10-2009, 01:39 PM
i dinged a mint cinnamon on sunday as well not a imperfection to b found, except for the little poke from my 300 win mag haha. Can u shoot white/spirit bears? has any1? any pictures?

no you cant shoot white or blue (glacier) bears in BC