PDA

View Full Version : Tunkwa lake trout

pupper
06-02-2009, 07:01 PM
I am going up to Tunkwa this weekend and was just wondering if anyone has been up there and knows what is being bitten on?

flies? colours/patterns?

ford fenders and wedding bands?

flat fish?

spinners?

worm and bobber?

chrominids?

BCLongshot
06-02-2009, 08:05 PM
Dude !!!

Y aren't you going after your Grizz !!! ???

rock
06-02-2009, 08:51 PM
Chronomids, leach patterns green to browns try black as well good luck

betteroffishing
06-02-2009, 09:31 PM
ask martyonthewater he and a group of freinds just hammered em at tunkwa last weekend. lol

martyonthewater
06-02-2009, 09:32 PM
I was just up there this last weekend and while I got skunked, there was some nice fish caught. #12-14 dark olive scuds, anstat grey with red or green rib #14-16 chronimids, brown or olive "pumpkin heads"-basically a wooly bugger with an orange bead head and hackle and christmas tree chronimids were catching fish(just not for me). Take a drive up the ware rd fsr as I saw a monster blackie up there but he was a little far off and headed into the trees before I could get close enough for a sure enough shot. I am talking about a truly massive bear, his rump was well above the 3 foot jackpines he was working thru and in talking to the locals they all agreed he is well over 400lbs. Biggest bear I have personaly ever seen. The bite seemed to turn on around 10 am and continued for about an hour. Use 6lb tippet as I had 3 fish bust off at the take on 4lb. good luck and tight lines

martyonthewater
06-02-2009, 09:33 PM
Up yours dave, Garbage bear killer

betteroffishing
06-02-2009, 09:45 PM
i knew you couldnt pass up live bait like that. wiggle, wiggle , bleed , wiggle , bleed .

pupper
06-03-2009, 05:42 PM
Dude !!!

Y aren't you going after your Grizz !!! ???

I can only get away for sat and sun and to go where I need to go for grizz is 8 hours drive away. I need 3 full days at minimum to make it somewhat worth while.

troutseeker
06-03-2009, 06:24 PM
Micro Leeches under indicator, very slow retrieve. Or Chironomids, I hear that silvery bodied ones (like the anti-static bag Chiro's) are doing well.

goatdancer
06-04-2009, 08:31 AM
Ice cream cone chiro (black with red rib), tunkwanamid (yes that's the real name), maroon sparkle micro leech, Idaho nymph, to name a few. Some of the chiros are huge in Tunkwa.

doubled
06-04-2009, 12:46 PM
The real big bombers have not come off in any sort of numbers yet but they should be soon with this heat.

4 point
06-04-2009, 08:00 PM
Up there today. It was very warm, calm and a bloom was on.... fishing sucked although we brought home a couple. Wait a while to go would be my suggestion.

doubled
06-05-2009, 12:43 PM
From their website:

Above normal temps have engulfed the area, making fishing a bit tougher on the whole. Guests trolling Gangtrolls tipped with worms, or Kwikfish and HotShots have been still steadily scoring with fish. Leach patterns trolled or wind drifted behind the boat are working as well. Anglers fishing worms under a slip float,(usually setting up just outside deeper wedge edge) have been doing extremely well. Fish have been caught off the shore as well. We had a few days of incredible chiromomid fishing, with fish seeming to be very concentrated in certain areas of the lake, and taking smaller chironie patterns in greens. We have noticed chironie hatches coming off in the bright reddish brown colour, our 'carrot' coloured chironmids have been tied for this hatch. On some of the calm evenings, we have seen a lot of surface activity, with small hatches of cinnanom caddis coming off. Today, we noticed, the first of the damsels flies showing up, our docks are covered in emerging nymphs drying there wings, and the air is starting to fill up with adults flying, a great sign and usually the start of some great fishing. Lake level has dropped a couple inches, and the first sign of an algae bloom was noticed today. Weather forecast is for more seasonable temperatures, with lots of sunshine.