PDA

View Full Version : Pants for sheep hunting?

madcarpenter
06-02-2009, 06:57 PM
Just gearing up for sheep season, and was wondering whats everyone's favorite or ideal pants for hunting in the mountains?
This will be my first season hunting in mountains, I have most of the other areas(gear) covered, just not sure if carhartts are the way to go?

Thanks for the help!!!

-Mad:smile:

todbartell
06-02-2009, 07:01 PM
I havent hunted sheep, but if I was to go, I would be wearing my Sitka Ascent pants. They're lightweight, fit nice, stretch, and seem to be pretty durable after 6 months of wear.

Jagermeister
06-02-2009, 07:03 PM
Buy a pair with the hook part of velcro glued on at the inside of the knees.:wink:

crazysheephunter
06-02-2009, 07:13 PM
If its the warmer weather hunting, like August for Stones i recomend Northface pants, or something similiar, with zip off knees, for them real hot days.

hillman
06-02-2009, 07:14 PM
I've done my share of hiking in the mountains, and I like some of the high tech faller's pants. There are new poly-fabrics that are light and give when you move. The padded legs can save your knees (and hunt) if you fall or have to do alot of crawling on rocks. Check all the safety supply stores and expect to pay at least $100. Carthart wouldn't be on my list since they restrict movement too much and it is miserable fighting your clothes when the going gets tough.

kennyj
06-02-2009, 07:19 PM
I wear fleece for all my hunting.They're non restrictive they dry fast,and can be layered easily with long johns and or rain pants.
kenny

wolverine
06-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Buy a pair with the hook part of velcro glued on at the inside of the knees.:wink:

Ha ha ha.... You're thinking what I was thinking. Hmm .... actually I should probably arrest you... :eek:

One Shot
06-02-2009, 07:45 PM
Military issue BDUs that are 65/35 nyco which dry fast, durable and have knee pockets for pads. Base layer of poly propylene, followed by 100 Polar Fleece and 300 Polar fleece when required. Out wear, issue extreme weather goretex.

madcarpenter
06-02-2009, 08:10 PM
Sorry guys for not introducing myself!:eek: I'm madcarpenter, I live in Alberta, and I'am a carpenter by trade- hence the name! I live to hunt and fish. I mainly hunt whitetails, but I'm gearing up for sheep and elk this year!!!
I must say this is one of the better forums out there!!! LOTS of helpful tips and information!!
You fellas in BC sure do have it made, just drive five minutes outa town, and you can hunt and fish anywhere. AND have a good chance at shooting or catching a trophy of a lifetime!

Wow, I kinda hijacked my own thread!!!! I'm not off to a good start!!:eek:

Ok, back on track! Has anyone ever tried the Browning STORM gore-tex pants???

-Mad

Everett
06-02-2009, 10:25 PM
Microtex pants from Cabelas are about as good as it gets bang for your buck. If you can find an older pair of MEC Fereta pants buy them.
As for the Stitka stuff had a real good look at them and this old Climber/hiker finds the wanting partialy for there construction but mainly for there price.
As for Carharts or any cotton clothes leave them on the building sight.

leadpillproductions
06-02-2009, 10:28 PM
What about something gore-tex to wear

whitetailsheds
06-02-2009, 11:04 PM
Blue jeans...

bigwhiteys
06-02-2009, 11:12 PM
Blue jeans...

I know it's been done but holy shit man that would be uncomfortable :)

PersonallyI wear the Northface Convertible (zip off legs) pants. Light weight, fast drying and very durable.

Carl

BCrams
06-02-2009, 11:19 PM
[quote=Everett;466152] If you can find an older pair of MEC Fereta pants buy them.

I own a pair of old MEC Ferrata pants. Going on 6 years, all sheep hunts, all field days working, all recreational hiking in the mountains and they're still going strong.

Sitka is nice, but like you said, my pants are already falling apart just wearing them part time for 1 season last year.

So ...... if anyone ever finds a pair of grey Ferrata pants ... let me know, I want them. I'll buy used if the right size and you don't like them.

Best pant bar none for 4 seasons use.

BCbillies
06-02-2009, 11:24 PM
I know it's been done but holy shit man that would be uncomfortable :)

PersonallyI wear the Northface Convertible (zip off legs) pants. Light weight, fast drying and very durable.

Carl

I gave up the jeans over a decade ago and never looked back! ;-) I use the Northface pants also but have never zipped the legs off. Any exposed skin becomes an attractant for the blackflies and skeeters!

gbear
06-03-2009, 07:21 AM
I personally take 2 pants. I've onlyhunted sheep ion August, so never in cold weather. My main pair is a pair of fleece pants from MEC. Althought this winter I upgraded from standard fleece to the soft shell, which cuts out a lot of the wind. For me, and important feature was almost full length zippers down the side of the legs so you can open them up on a real hot day for some venting. The fleece and the soft shell are light and if they get wet, dry very quick, especially with a bit of wind. I have the same for a jacket. The only down side is I have only been able to find them in a black color. Cost was $99 at MEC. If I ever come across a different color, more suited for hunting, I will upgrade to it.

Second set of pants is a Taiga gore-tex shell. I also have these with a full length zipper down the side of the legs for venting. I know guys that only take the gore-tex shell and make out fairly good with that.

338 winmag
06-03-2009, 11:57 AM
3sp expedition pants for me , stretchy , blocks wind , water resistant and dries quicky.

http://sporthillhunting.com/

BCrams
06-03-2009, 01:12 PM
I found where I can order the same fabric used to make the Ferrata pants.

Now to see if anyone is an excellent seamstress...... :/

yukon john
06-03-2009, 01:17 PM
Blue jeans...
Wrangler jeans to be exact no real advantage except they are traditionally lucky

bigwhiteys
06-03-2009, 01:23 PM
Wrangler jeans to be exact no real advantage except they are traditionally lucky

You maybe onto something there... I've got a few pictures that would provide some evidence to support your case.

Carl

troutseeker
06-04-2009, 02:34 PM
I use Lederhosen with goretex Knee high socks. :-)

madcarpenter
06-04-2009, 03:38 PM
Anyone use gaiters? Higher the better?

- Mad

SHACK
06-04-2009, 07:03 PM
Try on the MEC mounteniering pants made with Scheoller (sp) fabric!!!! I have the lightwieght and heavywieght versions. Just plain awsome, made from 90% poly and 10% lycra. They cut wind, bead water, dry very fast if they get wet, and have some strech throughout, dont smell after a week and a extreamly tough. Hands down the best pants for any out door activity I have ever purchased. They do cost an arm and a leg at around 180 for the lightwieghts and 220 for the hevywieghts if I recall correctly....worth EVERY penny!!!

bigwhiteys
06-04-2009, 07:14 PM
Anyone use gaiters? Higher the better?

I wear a set of goretex gaiters. They are great for crossing creeks and beating heavy buck brush... Then when you find a spot to glass they make an alright sitting pad too.

Carl

BlacktailStalker
06-04-2009, 07:38 PM
Rivers west gaitors. Quiet fleece like on outside and have acted as knee high waders numberous times.

Maxx
06-04-2009, 07:49 PM
3sp expedition pants for me , stretchy , blocks wind , water resistant and dries quicky.

http://sporthillhunting.com/

X2 for me, these are great pants!

Shehunter84
06-04-2009, 07:52 PM
X2 for me, these are great pants!

These are indeed awsome pants.My Ex B.F bought me a pair for our Stone hunt last year.

Kody94
06-04-2009, 07:57 PM
My Ex B.F bought me a pair for our Stone hunt last year.

That oughta get a few of the boyz around here revved up. ;)

Seriously though, Maxx, 338Winmag or Shehunter....I don't see the "expedition" model on the link provided...are they discontinued or renamed?

Shehunter84
06-04-2009, 07:59 PM

Seriously though, Maxx, 338Winmag or Shehunter....I don't see the "expedition" model on the link provided...are they discontinued or renamed?

Maybe I shouldnt have said "Ex":oops:

Kody94
06-04-2009, 08:02 PM
Maybe I shouldnt have said "Ex":oops:

I am just teasin' of course. An available gal that knows where to go stone sheep hunting could have a legion of followers around here pretty quickly though. :D

Welcome to the forum by the way. :)

Shehunter84
06-04-2009, 08:05 PM
We didnt get anything.Thats why i dumped him

Kody94
06-04-2009, 08:13 PM

That almost had me cleaning my drink out my keyboard. http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

BlacktailStalker
06-04-2009, 08:13 PM
Thats about as good a reason as any :lol:

leadpillproductions
06-04-2009, 08:32 PM
Thats Too Funny

Maxx
06-04-2009, 09:21 PM
http://www.sporthill.com/product.php?TypeID=1650&gender=m

these are the model I have, they used to come in camo before they created a hunting section. they are great pants, breathable and quick drying- and they are stretchy too.

Maxx
06-04-2009, 09:22 PM

are you single? I also live in the GVRD......pics?

blackbart
06-04-2009, 09:43 PM
Sorry to distract from the dating segmant of this forum (good luck to those interested though), but I would personally take a look at the pants that the bush fire fighters use. I recently bought a pair and am happy to date. They dry quickly, won't get burn holes (lets see the other "fancy synthetic brands boast aboat that"), are light in weight and best of all have buttons for suspenders for the old school crowd. Lots of pockets are also there if you desire that sort of a feature.

Let the hippy crowd shop at MEC. Buy what the working crowd wears if you want to have something that works for you, cardharts not included for sheep hunting.

madcarpenter
06-05-2009, 06:04 AM
Thanks for all the advise guys 'n' gals!:smile:
I'm going to check out MEC, but where does a guy get those pants that the bush fire fighter where??? Any specific name brand?

- Mad

open-sights
06-05-2009, 06:49 AM
Ironic or coincidence, I can never tell the difference, a thread started for technical leg-wear turns into a leg-hump jack-knife! For wiw have a look at the Ascent pant from Sitka with a Core base layer, scent protection and moisture wicking. That system was designed for sheep hunters by sheep hunters. Let the leg humping continue, sorry for the speed bump, lol.

boxhitch
06-05-2009, 08:15 AM
We didnt get anything.But how was the hunting ?

Shehunter84
06-05-2009, 09:49 AM
But how was the hunting ?

We saw legal rams,Things just didnt work out I guess.Beutiful scenery but a 2 weeks in a tent is a little to much for a lady

Squire
06-05-2009, 10:13 AM
You might find it worthwhile to check out Valhalla Pure. I have been through a couple of pairs of lightweight and inexpensive (+/- $70.00) pants from them. They are wind and water resistant when purchased and wind and water proof after a treatment of wash-in waterproofing. I have found this critical in keeping my feet dry when hiking up through the wet grass in the morning to get to the ridge tops.

Maxx
06-05-2009, 02:13 PM

Thanks- I got the pic's, I will call you this weekend!

Shehunter84
06-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Thanks- I got the pic's, I will call you this weekend!

You wish.I know who you are.I used to work with some of your friends:lol:

Kody94
06-05-2009, 05:38 PM

Don't dismiss him too quickly...he's probably got the biggest you-know-what of all the members on this board!

ps: by "you-know-what", I definitely mean stone ram. :D

pps: sorry, I just couldn't resist.

Maxx
06-05-2009, 11:27 PM

my friends?? Please elaborate......

and baby, if I am the one wishing, then why did you send me those "stripper" like pics??

madcarpenter
06-06-2009, 06:35 AM
What kind of PANTS was she wearing???:wink:

Thanks for all the help guys 'n' gals!! Pretty sure I'm going to give those bush fire fighters pants a go! Just gotta track some down!!

scoot
06-06-2009, 08:22 AM
I wear fleece for all my hunting.They're non restrictive they dry fast,and can be layered easily with long johns and or rain pants.
kenny
I am the same. they are very light and inexpensive too.

Edward Teach
06-06-2009, 08:53 AM
Have you considered wearing a kilt?
It works for the Scots...

bsa30-06
06-06-2009, 09:08 AM

If your gonna have any chance at all, i hope your a better guide then the last guy:lol:......welcome to the site SheHunter, i think you just made a bunch of new friends.

Shehunter84
06-06-2009, 10:43 AM
my friends?? Please elaborate......

and baby, if I am the one wishing, then why did you send me those "stripper" like pics??

You know exactly what Im talking about;-)

Shehunter84
06-06-2009, 10:45 AM
If your gonna have any chance at all, i hope your a better guide then the last guy:lol:......welcome to the site SheHunter, i think you just made a bunch of new friends.

He has no chance.Im goin to let his wife to be about his "Charming Ways":lol: