PDA

View Full Version : Cat and Mouse

todbartell
06-02-2009, 12:53 AM
May31, in the evening my partner & I hiked up a grassy deactivated road which winds up a hill through the timber to the top of a cutblock. 1/3 the way up we spotted a small sow feeding towards us, she got to 21 yards but he didnt want to shoot it with his bow even though it would of been his first archery kill. We kept going up to the top and spotted another bear, he walked across the road feeding and we could tell right away he was a much bigger bear and worth a close look.

We crept up there and got to where he was but he was gone. Then we heard WOOF WOOF and CRASH CRASH CRASH as it ran away through the timber. He must of smelled or heard us approaching. We sat behind a log for 5 minutes to listen and wait but the bear seemed to be long gone, so we walked down another 50 yards and partner took a piss and then we sat on a log and quietly talked.

Then I heard some cracking in the bush above us and I could see some small trees swaying only 20 yards away then WOOF WOOF WOOOF WOOF but we couldnt see it because we were about 20 feet below it on the road. I could hear the bear going to our left in the cutblock above us, so we slowly moved down the road when I spotted him cutting across the hillside 60 yards away. Then he sat down and watched me, my partner was below me in ditch, couldnt see bear. I motion for him to move slow and he does, he gets to where he can see the bear which is still sitting on its ass watching me

After a couple minutes it snorts and gets up and begins to run off, parnter yelled and it stopped broadside at like 60 yards and he fired, arrow hit low and into the dirt, the bear, he takes off into the bush running, we could hear it crashing and getting further away for a minute or so.

We walked up and got his arrow out of the dirt, walked back down to the road and carried on along the grassy road in the cutblock, we made it about 200 yards from where we last seen the bear. We stopped for a rest and I could hear some branches breaking in the bush above us, 75 yards away.

A minute or so later after some more noise, we spot it stepping up onto a blowdown with its front legs, watching us, my parntner says "shoot that **********!" so I raise my rifle but as I do so, Mr Bear drops off the log and out of sight behind the brush. WOOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF
crash crash
WOOOF WOOOF WOOOF WOOOF
this went on for about 3 minutes

I can hear the crashing getting further off to the right, heading back the way we came, so we begin to go back along the road. There is a big rock cliff between where we were and where we last seen it, and I figured he was circling back trying to get out wind, which was perfect btw, heading downhill the whole time

We get back to the other side of the cliff, standing there for 5 minutes or so when I hear a branch break above us. I hear another branch break, a minute later my partner whispers THERE he is
as he steps out of the timber to the edge of the block. He has us pegged, staring right at us, & there is a ****ing small spruce tree between me and him! in my way.

I slowly side step until clear lane
lift up, he is facing me dead on at about 75 yards.
I level it center mass and sent bullet on it's way. Due to the recoil I didnt see what happened but my parntner was watching through his 10x swarvoskis and said it bowled him right over backwards and he spun and took a jump and disappeared behind a blowdown. I reloaded from shoulder like Camp Cook! and was ready to start WWIII!

I could hear some brush breaking but no movement. After 10-15 seconds there was no sounds. We slowly made our way up to the edge of the timber, he made it about 10 feet from point of impact & fell in a slight depression behind a blowdown

nice boar, 5'7" from nose to tail, 79" from front paw to rear paw across its body. So 6'1" square. This was my first bear I've pulled the trigger on since 2003. I messed up and forgot to sit 5 feet behind it for the pics, sorry!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/09Bear.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o205/todbartell/BearHunt09012.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o205/todbartell/BearHunt09015.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o205/todbartell/BearHunt09020.jpg

I am getting a rug made out of it, the fur on this bear was epic

sorry for the long winded story

jikkyo
06-02-2009, 01:49 AM
Nice bear! congrats on your success. The long story was a good read actually. What did you shoot with?

Leo

hunter1947
06-02-2009, 05:29 AM
Good bear and good story ,congrats.

tracker
06-02-2009, 05:30 AM
nice bear ,yes what cal and bullet ???? I think I know but would like to hear it from you.... congrats

Fisher-Dude
06-02-2009, 05:45 AM
Is that kid in the pics on a youth hunt? Good to see the youngsters out hunting. :smile:

Ambush
06-02-2009, 05:59 AM
Sounds like a real fun hunt. The hides, this year, seem to be thicker and lasting longer than normal.

Congatulations on a great rug and saving some moose calves!!

KodiakHntr
06-02-2009, 06:04 AM
Squared is nose to tail, + width across the front legs toe to toe, divided by two.....

IE, 6' nose to tail tip (skinned out) + 6'2" across the front shoulders toe to toe he squares 6'1".

Nice job, regardless of what he measures.

Blainer
06-02-2009, 06:31 AM
Good read.
Sounds like that bear was destined for the freezer.

hillclimber
06-02-2009, 06:57 AM
good story and great bear congrats.

Elkaholic
06-02-2009, 07:13 AM
Great story and awesome bear! GRATS

The Hermit
06-02-2009, 07:25 AM
Sounds like a lot of fun and nice looking bear but what I want to know is whether your buddy managed to get your boot outta his ass for flinging an arrow at a game animal from 60 yards??

Wondering if it was a crossbow, compound, recurve, or longbow? Onesock in 3, 2, 1...

Brambles
06-02-2009, 09:01 AM
Great story TB, real nice bear.

Elkhound
06-02-2009, 09:22 AM
nice job bartell...it does look like a great coat

rishu_pepper
06-02-2009, 10:05 AM
nice bear ,yes what cal and bullet ???? I think I know but would like to hear it from you.... congrats

I think I can answer that:

8mm Rem Mag

Not sure about the bullet, but I surmise 200gr TSX. I remember him saying it before, it just slipped my mind.

Nice shot, bartell. You should've stood 20 yards behind the bear to make it look B&C worthy. :razz:

Ride
06-02-2009, 10:06 AM
Nice bear, and good looking country to be hunting in as well. Good job.

leadpillproductions
06-02-2009, 10:29 AM
Nice looking boar way to go .

jrjonesy
06-02-2009, 10:56 AM
Good story and nice bear.

todbartell
06-02-2009, 11:28 AM
nice bear ,yes what cal and bullet ????

8mm Rem Mag with 250 gr Woodleigh Weldcore round nose (2750 fps), which performed excellent 8)

quackquackbang
06-02-2009, 02:34 PM
Nice bear man and good story!!!

The Hermit
06-02-2009, 03:59 PM
And the bow? and the boot dislodged from buddy's ass?

todbartell
06-02-2009, 04:06 PM
60# compound. He had ranged it and gotten 47 yards, but turned out to be actually closer to 60. Ive seen him shoot at 50 yards before and I think for him it would be not a low % shot, regardless of what others may think.

moosinaround
06-02-2009, 04:19 PM
I was up the Messinka last weekend, only seen 2 bears. Heading out on friday again. Snow conditions look better than last weekend! Nice bear, hopefully I can bag one a little bigger:wink:, with my 300 win mag and some newly loaded 200 gr nosler partitions! Moosin

PGK
06-02-2009, 05:07 PM
60y is doable with a compound in a good shooters hands. One of my buddies took an elk at 60, and has taken multiple coyotes at 80 plus.

Nice bear dood!! You are looking as sexy as ever :biggrin:

The Hermit
06-02-2009, 06:24 PM
Ack I suck at editing posts ... see below.

The Hermit
06-02-2009, 06:27 PM
60# compound. He had ranged it and gotten 47 yards, but turned out to be actually closer to 60. Ive seen him shoot at 50 yards before and I think for him it would be not a low % shot, regardless of what others may think.

:eek::rolleyes: Regardless what anyone says eh...

Todd, I have taken your advise a couple times on guns and bullets to great advantage and profit but buddy I gotta say your thinking on this topic is totally outta wack. I hope you are a little more open minded and respectful of the experience of the bowhunting fraternity than that statement implies.

47 yards 60 yards etc is just way too far for all but the most experienced expert archers let alone a new bowhunter to take on an animal... hunting situations are totally different than target practice in controlled conditions! Shit happens, he ranged it wrong, he ticked a twig, the wind came up, the animal "jumped the string".... You also said this would have been his first archery animal!!! Its no so bad because he missed but he could just as easily wounded the bear and not been able to recover it!! In my books it was an unethical shot! This is why we need IBEP!!

RiverOtter
06-02-2009, 06:37 PM
Nice bear, and it sounds like it was a good one to remove, based on its attitude.

I like the "TV" measuring system as well, very unique...........:lol:

Did you get a circumferance measurement, around all four corners, that would be really impressive...

todbartell
06-02-2009, 06:51 PM
I like the "TV" measuring system as well, very unique...........:lol:

Did you get a circumferance measurement, around all four corners, that would be really impressive...

I did not attempt to inflate the size of the bear by measuring nose/tail and front paw to opposite side back paw, I just did it that way because that is how I read how to square a bear's measurements. I dont think measuring from front paw to front paw would give much different of a length, by looking at this pic.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o205/todbartell/BearHunt09021.jpg

Taxidermist asked how long it was nose to tail and said that 5'7" is usually right around 6' square. Maybe she was lying to me to make me feel better about shooting a dink :smile:

grin

Blainer
06-02-2009, 06:55 PM
I have found that measuring front paw to front paw has a very similiar measurement as nose to tail,usually within a couple inches.
Looks like a nice hide.

RiverOtter
06-02-2009, 07:52 PM
Never thought you were trying to inflate the size, as you told us how you came up with the 2 measurements. Just thought the way you went about measuring your bear was a little funny.

The way your bear is pictured above, the right leg looks a bit hooked, as opposed to laying roughly perpendicular to the body.

As a rule, IME, the width measurement is at least a few inches longer than the nose/tail measurement, assuming the head is not skinned out and the hide is not stretched.

Anymore, I just measure Nose to Tail in the round, following the body profile and call it a day.

Brett
06-02-2009, 08:32 PM
nice story and bear!

Gus
06-02-2009, 08:47 PM
good one bud!!

Gateholio
06-03-2009, 01:21 AM
Wow, such controversy about a nice bear! :) :) ;)

I've heard of "squaring going from tip to tip from front claws X the length divided by 2, as well as diagonal measurements, or this and that...whatever..

I've seen pics of 6-7-8 ft bears with peopale standing back 500 meteres, I've seen pics of 6-7-8 ft bears with kids that must be 6ft tall, I've seen it all..

It's a nice bear,an HONEST close to 6 ft, with a GREAT hide.

Too bad your buddy misjudged distance. I am sure if he knew the distance, he would have made a nice, clean kill. Those compound bows are very accurate!

Offroad
06-03-2009, 02:53 AM
Great looking bear. Who are you going to get to do the rug?

NaStY
06-03-2009, 05:49 AM
Nice bear Bart....

todbartell
06-03-2009, 01:45 PM
Great looking bear. Who are you going to get to do the rug?

Blue Mountain Taxidermy in Vanderhoof

open-sights
06-03-2009, 06:21 PM
HAHA, great bear guys. and for the record, a 60 yard shot is never a worry when the guy standing beside you holds his rifle. Nice scope tb ;)

todbartell
06-03-2009, 06:40 PM
awesome scope! 3.5-10x40 Vx3 B&C

eastkoot
06-03-2009, 08:12 PM
I just can't believe Tod would even attempt to shoot a bear without a Barnes bullet.. What the hell was he thinking?????

killman
06-03-2009, 08:24 PM
What's the camo your wearing? I need to get some, it's very slimming :biggrin:.

StoneChaser
06-03-2009, 08:48 PM
Sounds like a lot of fun and nice looking bear but what I want to know is whether your buddy managed to get your boot outta his ass for flinging an arrow at a game animal from 60 yards??

Wondering if it was a crossbow, compound, recurve, or longbow? Onesock in 3, 2, 1...

Go preach elsewhere...just because you can't shoot 60yds doesn't mean others can't!

The main reason I don't post much here anymore...between the ethics police and $hit weasels trying to hone in on a guy's spot it just gets old :roll:

Nice bear Tod...definately an "Epic Hide"!

todbartell
06-03-2009, 09:39 PM
I just can't believe Tod would even attempt to shoot a bear without a Barnes bullet.. What the hell was he thinking?????

don't need 100% weight retention when it starts off 50 grains heavier than the X bullet 8)

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o205/todbartell/8mm-280.jpg

Of the dozen black bears I've shot, I think the furthest poke has been 130 yards. Heavy for caliber round nosed slug is ideal in my opinion

The Hermit
06-03-2009, 09:45 PM
Go preach elsewhere...just because you can't shoot 60yds doesn't mean others can't!

The main reason I don't post much here anymore...between the ethics police and $hit weasels trying to hone in on a guy's spot it just gets old :roll:

Nice bear Tod...definately an "Epic Hide"!

Haven't missed ya!

todbartell
06-03-2009, 09:50 PM
Hermit, I appreciate your concerns :) thx

rollingrock
06-03-2009, 11:34 PM
Have you gained weight, Todd? :D

todbartell
06-04-2009, 12:31 PM
same as I was 8 years ago, which is 30 lbs overweight :D

todbartell
10-24-2010, 09:27 PM
poor picture but I think you`ll get the point :smile:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs918.snc4/73184_448388987991_512917991_5486494_4434591_n.jpg

Caveman
10-24-2010, 09:33 PM
Good Looking Wallpaper Mark.