PDA

View Full Version : Food Plots

starbuck
06-01-2009, 01:22 PM
Does anyone know some good recipes for food plots in Interior BC.

digger dogger
06-02-2009, 11:57 AM
deer? apples.. dried peas, carrots, beets, c'mere deer. the only place i know of with c'mere deer is chilliwack dart&tackle.. the chit werks bears will probably eat most of the fruit & veggies so dont put out to much.. dont kill a bear around the plot..

starbuck
06-02-2009, 01:24 PM
Yeah I am not looking for the bears, but am looking to provide a staple food source for the mulies, I have read that perrenials are the way to go, like clover, or alfalfa, but I am wondering if there is someone up in the North that is trying something that I can work with.

BCHunterFSJ
06-02-2009, 10:08 PM
I'm from "the North" and am also looking to plant some food plots...
If you get some good ideas starbuck, please share!

leadpillproductions
06-02-2009, 10:11 PM
I Was Thinking Of The Same Thing .i Find Oats Work Wonders For Whitetails I Would Think They Would Work For Mulies

digger dogger
06-02-2009, 10:11 PM
sweet peas..

bridger
06-02-2009, 10:54 PM
for elk, mulies, and whitetails in the peace barley, oats, and peas are excellent. moose seem to prefer peas. not uncommon to see all 4 species in a pea field up here. geese really like peas as well. critters up here are more or less raised on cereal grains as we have lots of agriculture up here may take a while for interior mulies to catch on. Alfalfa is a good food source for mule deer where ever they are found.

starbuck
06-02-2009, 11:01 PM
I was also doing some reading that pH levels need to be taken into consideration when planting. Clover is one of the better plants that comes back every year. Clover can handle a wide range of pH, plus its cheap. I called the CO OP market and its 126 dollars for enough clover to plant 7 acres. I think I will start with an Alfalfa Clover mix, and then plant some oats or wheat in the fall. From what I have been reading, planting the "cereals" is best in August because it provides a tasty treat for the hunting season.

digger dogger
06-03-2009, 09:24 AM
i have a buddy in charlie lk near the beatton river park. he will never plant peas again he tells me, the deer&moose ate it all.. now the fields are alfalfa.. its not un common at any time of year to see anywhere from 2 to 30 deer in the back 1/2 sec and always a moose or two.. i have another friend in hudson hope that farms oats. i have found the alfalfa fields have more deer than the the oat fields.. let us know how yer plot makes out once the critters are eatin it.. good luck. digger d

Mr. Friendly
06-03-2009, 05:03 PM
forgive the interruption/intrusion...but what all does a food plot entail? are they to feed wildlife or are they to attract wildlife for better harvesting or whats the story exactly? because if it's for harvesting, wouldn't that be sorta baiting, which is illegal in BC? (isn't it?)

gary murray
06-03-2009, 05:08 PM
forgive the interruption/intrusion...but what all does a food plot entail? are they to feed wildlife or are they to attract wildlife for better harvesting or whats the story exactly? because if it's for harvesting, wouldn't that be sorta baiting, which is illegal in BC? (isn't it?)
That's what i thought too.

Charlie
06-03-2009, 05:09 PM

Baiting deer is LEGAL in BC. If you don't agree, that's your choice.

This is about what attracts deer to a specific place, not the ethics behind it.

PGK
06-03-2009, 05:15 PM
Baiting ungulates is legal. Food plots and QDM are garbage. Do you really want BC to end up like the the states???

Mr. Friendly
06-03-2009, 05:20 PM
I'm about wild meat for food, not trophy (that's just potential bonus). so it's only bears we're not allowed to bait then? or perhaps someone can explain a bit better as to what we can bait and what we can't bait and what is considered baiting and what isn't considered baiting?. thanks!

PGK
06-03-2009, 05:21 PM
I'm about wild meat for food, not trophy (that's just potential bonus). so it's only bears we're not allowed to bait then? or perhaps someone can explain a bit better as to what we can bait and what we can't bait and what is considered baiting and what isn't considered baiting?. thanks!

It's in the regs. Read them? Once a year, just for kicks?

gary murray
06-03-2009, 05:29 PM
Baiting deer is LEGAL in BC. If you don't agree, that's your choice.

This is about what attracts deer to a specific place, not the ethics behind it.
You're right, it is legal. Mr Friendly wasn't disagreeing with you. He just thought it was illegal like i did but i looked it up just now and it is legal. You'll be surprised at how many people think it is illegal here.

Mr. Friendly
06-03-2009, 05:36 PM
You're right, it is legal. Mr Friendly wasn't disagreeing with you. He just thought it was illegal like i did but i looked it up just now and it is legal. You'll be surprised at how many people think it is illegal here.
exactly! I thought I've read you're not allowed to bait bears (like they do in Ontario) and I think I've read something about geese and crops and hunting too.

Charlie
06-03-2009, 05:56 PM
Baiting ungulates is legal. Food plots and QDM are garbage. Do you really want BC to end up like the the states???

I don't think its about "ending up like the states" Its about doing what you want on your land and attracting deer to shoot, for meat or otherwise.

I have a property, and I plan on making it as attractive as possible to deer. Some will agree others wont, however its a legal practice in this province, so that supercedes all.

starbuck
06-03-2009, 10:35 PM
I don't think its about "ending up like the states" Its about doing what you want on your land and attracting deer to shoot, for meat or otherwise.

I have a property, and I plan on making it as attractive as possible to deer. Some will agree others wont, however its a legal practice in this province, so that supercedes all.

I agree with this all the way. I am not a trophy hunter, and in all honesty if I have a monster living on my property I probably will let him live a few years just to get his genes in the area. But first and foremost I am looking to put food on the table. Just because I am having some food plots does not mean that I won't go hunting elsewhere. I am going to be moving to a new town where I know absolutely no one but I just bought a house on 20 acres, so what better way to start off my hunting in the area than on my own land, until I can meet people and get permission on other land.

Mr. Friendly
06-03-2009, 11:03 PM
I hold nothing against anyone that baits. they're still governed by the laws on game that can be taken...it's just a bit easier, perhaps a bit more costly (to fill and keep stocked with bait), but perhaps a bit easier.

now, I reviewed what I could find in the 2008 synopsis on baiting and couldn't find anything that spoke about baiting aside from reference to trappers and waterfowl (no hunting within 7 days of a bait site). I tried bait/baiting as keywords on the bc hunting regluations site, but turned up nothing that seems useful. thanks for coddling this newb some guys...I appreciate it.

digger dogger
06-04-2009, 06:32 AM
if u only have 20 acres and u see a monster SHOOT it he wont live on just your property.. and one day he may end up on a neighbors wall & in they're freezer.

hunter1947
06-04-2009, 06:54 AM
Where I live I have put out carrots and apples and the deer pass them up ????.

The one thing they do like is lettuce.

boxhitch
06-04-2009, 07:24 AM
now, I reviewed what I could find in the 2008 synopsis on baiting and couldn't find anything that spoke about baiting aside from reference to trappers and waterfowl (no hunting within 7 days of a bait site). I tried bait/baiting as keywords on the bc hunting regluations site, but turned up nothing that seems useful. thanks for coddling this newb some guys...I appreciate it.Then here is some more coddling.........again.........:p

pg. 3 is definition of bait
pg 14, #16 unlawful to feed
pg. 16, in note 6, bears may not be hunted........

An annual discussion it seems............

bridger
06-05-2009, 06:39 AM
I was also doing some reading that pH levels need to be taken into consideration when planting. Clover is one of the better plants that comes back every year. Clover can handle a wide range of pH, plus its cheap. I called the CO OP market and its 126 dollars for enough clover to plant 7 acres. I think I will start with an Alfalfa Clover mix, and then plant some oats or wheat in the fall. From what I have been reading, planting the "cereals" is best in August because it provides a tasty treat for the hunting season.

planting oats or wheat in the fall is risky as an early frost will derail your plans. in the peace farmers plant in the spring (june) and the grain is ready for harvest in september. if you want to attract deer plant early enough so the grain heads out (that's what the deer like) and don't cut it. let the deer eat it standing. works well

bridger
06-05-2009, 06:48 AM
the real benefit of developing your land into food plots isn't really perhasps getting a big buck in the field but providing a food source in the late fall to send the deer into the winter in better health. on our land we plant about 40-50 acres each year and let it stand for the critters. the heaviest use is late in the fall when the snow comes. the does go into the winter in better shape and fawn survival is better ( i find anyway) as far as big bucks go(whitetails) we seldom see any in the fields during the hunting season. we have to hunt the heavy timber to find them. just my observations.

phoenix
06-05-2009, 07:26 AM
Starbuck, Where in the OK are you? I am in Kelowna and have a small food plot on my acreage. I am just looking out my window and I have 6 muleys in there right now including a mom with 2 fawns. PM me and I'll send you my phone #. I think I can get you started in the right direction.
Kim

Seeadler
06-06-2009, 08:34 AM
Just plant a garden.

Brett
06-06-2009, 09:05 AM
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CFPageC?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&&mode=article&objectID=31235&objectType=article

Food plots 101.