PDA

View Full Version : Who wants to see a 4-35 Grizzly?

ibehuntin
05-31-2009, 09:09 PM
Due to the shortage of threads on successfull griz hunts I'm going to let the suspence build a little. At least until the kids have gone to bed.:p

05-31-2009, 09:11 PM
Due to the shortage of threads on successfull griz hunts I'm going to let the suspence build a little. At least until the kids have gone to bed.:p

Good goin' Billy, I wanna see it.

05-31-2009, 10:01 PM
Darn it Bill, those kids still up....?????
They've outlasted me, I'm going to bed, talk to you tomorrow.
AGP

ibehuntin
06-01-2009, 12:36 AM
Well after hunting at least 3 days a week since opening day. I can't tell you how many hours hours I've spent looking through binos or snowshoeing into slides and not seeing a single grizz. After deciding to spend 3 final days hunting/camping in the Beaverfoot we packed up to try are luck. Friday we saw 7 blacks and no grizz, Saturday are luck changed a little when we jumped a large blond grizz in the timber, he was to quick and escaped with no shots fired. Back to camp for lunch and a nap in the shade to excape the heat. Mid nap a truck pulls into camp, its the wife and kids driven by Grandma and Grandpa. They had found me with directions from my SPOT check-ins (I guess it does work).Crystal tells me that a friend has phoned and that a silver tip has been spotted terrorizing some cows in Parson. After some discussion, me and the brother-inlaw that the hunting can't suck any worse over there and the guy with the info is very dependible, so we pack up camp for the 2 hour drive. On the way out we see a pure white cow moose with a piebald colored calf and manage to get some poor quality video. Arriving in Parson we go to see the farmer who has seen the bear, but he is not home, his son tells me they have had a grizz causing problems for the last couple of years but is unaware of any sightings this year. Never the less he gives me full access to the family farm and wood lot and tells me he hopes I get him. I thank him and we pull away from the barnyard wondering if we made the right decision to pull up camp. Its 5pm and we decide to spend the next couple of hours touring on the quad to look for sign. After 4hrs of touring the farm woodlot and the ajoining comunity pasture seeing lots of blacks and no Grizz sign we decide to make one more trip trough the pastures. In the first field the cattle seem to be acting strange, mooing and walking in circles. We spot a coyote way down in the bottom of the field but decide he's to far away to be stiring up the cows. The first and second field are split by a strip of trees 30yards wide and a 4 wire fence. Just as we walk up to the second field we see a bear bolt towards the tree strip about 250 yards away, its the Grizz. We run back to the 1st field to see if he went straight through, nope. Back to the 2nd field and sit, within 5min he comes strutting back out. He looks pretty good, wide between the ears. I range him at 301yds. With only one day left to hunt I've already made up my mind to take him. Laying my .338 win over a fence post and position for the hold placing the crosshairs 2" above his back. It seems like forever but he finally turns and gives me that perfect broadside shot. Boom! He rears up on his hind legs and I know I've hit my mark. Before I can get the crosshairs on him again he runs the 15yds straight through the fence and into the tree line. We walk across the field keeping are distance from the bush. In no time we find good blood in the grass but we are a little concerned about going into the thick stuff after him. With my rifle at the ready I make my way toward the fence and realize he is laying just across the wire. After bouncing a few rocks off him I decide its safe to check him out. When I lifted his head the remaining air in him made a deep growl scaring the crap out of me, bears always make me a little jumpy. He's not as quite a big as the 8 footer in my dreams, but he has a big melon and at just shy of 6'6" I'm very happy to have him for my 1st Grizz! And he won't be eating anymore calves.
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg15/ibehuntin/P1010407.jpg

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg15/ibehuntin/P1010400.jpg
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg15/ibehuntin/P1010425.jpg

PS. sorry I took so long Andy I'm a slow easily distracted typer.

hunterofthedeer
06-01-2009, 01:05 AM
It was worth the wait Nice bear

hunter1947
06-01-2009, 05:07 AM
Congrats on getting the job done ,that is a great looking griz and as you said there are not that many been put up on this forum ,very nice bear as for the story http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

Summit 512
06-01-2009, 06:15 AM
Congrats guys on your bear......thanks for sharing

Blainer
06-01-2009, 06:23 AM
Right on!
Great success story.

In4TheHunt
06-01-2009, 06:46 AM
Good story,
Save farmers calves and get a nice bear...Way to go:)

gbear
06-01-2009, 07:13 AM
Congrats on a nice Grizz. I know what you mean about that bit of air coming out of the lungs when you move him. That happened to me on a grizzly a number of years ago and scared the crap out of me and my partner. I ended up putting another one in him just to make sure.

Ruger4
06-01-2009, 08:12 AM
Great Bear , good for you ..............!!!

d6dan
06-01-2009, 08:53 AM
Beautiful Grizzly Bear Bill. Great story too!. Congrads.

Everett
06-01-2009, 08:59 AM
Nice one Bill that is a solid looking bear with a head like that you would think he would be longer then 6'6" I bet you are the Farmers new best freind. You going to eat him?

06-01-2009, 09:03 AM
I had to leave a bear over night once, and when i got back in the morning it wouldn't stop farting.

nice grizz

wapitiwhacker
06-01-2009, 10:00 AM
Love the story!! Great Bear!

forestryboy
06-01-2009, 11:29 AM
Great story, nice bear....

riflebuilder
06-01-2009, 11:56 AM
nice bear way to go. My son is looking for his first Black Bear. Did you guys se a lot in the Parsons area. I was thinking of taking him out that way on Saturday.

ibehuntin
06-01-2009, 04:47 PM
nice bear way to go. My son is looking for his first Black Bear. Did you guys se a lot in the Parsons area. I was thinking of taking him out that way on Saturday.

Lots of blacks up in the comunity pastures. Last couple of times I've been up there I have seen between 7-15 bears a night. PM me if you need directions.

06-01-2009, 04:52 PM
Way to go Bill, finally got-er-did, you earned that one for sure, lots of hard hunting...congrats buddy, great looking bar.

ibehuntin
06-01-2009, 04:59 PM
Nice one Bill that is a solid looking bear with a head like that you would think he would be longer then 6'6" I bet you are the Farmers new best freind. You going to eat him?

I kept a fair bit of the meat to try. I'll probably make a bunch of jerky, all the jerky pigs at work will probably gobble it up. I have them convinced that the last batch was coyote and they still ate the whole bag. Did you manage to read all those magazines yet?

Buck
06-01-2009, 08:56 PM
Nice bear .He ran through the fence Lol.Did he actually break through?

Everett
06-01-2009, 09:15 PM
I kept a fair bit of the meat to try. I'll probably make a bunch of jerky, all the jerky pigs at work will probably gobble it up. I have them convinced that the last batch was coyote and they still ate the whole bag. Did you manage to read all those magazines yet?

Please tell us how the jerky ends up tasting. I have been working through them about halfway done then the wife cuts all the good pictures out for reference for her paintings.

gerrygoat
06-01-2009, 10:16 PM
That's a nice bear, even better that a problem bear is gone now, the local ranchers should be happy. Hide looks nice and thick too, congratulations.

rand
06-01-2009, 10:24 PM
Nice work on the calf eater.Hats off to you

BCbillies
06-01-2009, 11:07 PM
And another one bites the dust! Nicely done.

BlacktailStalker
06-02-2009, 11:17 AM
Nice bear, glad it came together for ya !