PDA

View Full Version : hounds

rocketrob
05-30-2009, 10:45 PM
looking for hound for hunting cats with good nose that can track 1 or 2 day old track .

Spokerider
05-31-2009, 03:31 AM
May find what you're after on here......http://www.biggamehoundsmen.com/forum/

bowhunterbruce
05-31-2009, 06:04 AM
its possible to train them yourself with this link you can order sents
http://www.graweslures.com/training_scents.htm
apperently it works awsome and it is allowed to cross the boarder

Fisher-Dude
05-31-2009, 08:58 AM
Not sure why you would ever want to put a hound on a day or two old track. When the cat is 20+ miles away, good luck catching up to your hounds! Look for freshies!

K-1
05-31-2009, 10:09 AM
I would have to agree with F-D. Why would you want to put a dog on a 2 day old cat track. First off do you have enough experience to tell if a track is 1-2-3 days old. Starting off with one pup up until it's old enough & strong enough to run a short track and stay treed will take some time. Getting it to run an old track is something different. Not all hounds will run a track that old, they will give up and either come back or go off and chase trash. If it dose have the desire to take a track that old do you have the time to 'GO AND GET IT', or spend time looking for it.

chilcotin hillbilly
05-31-2009, 11:06 AM
Even 24 hr tracks are to old unless you have put a circle around them and know they have not crossed.If you plan on hunting in the snow only or if you want a dry ground hound makes a difference. Be prepared to put in sometime training and hopefully you have a friend with some finished dogs to help you out.

rocketrob
05-31-2009, 01:07 PM
hey guys just looking for some hounds or pups with good cold nose that can run anytime out. had hounds for 25 years and my buddy had hounds for 40 years.my buddy in maine wants hound for wildcat hunting. a pup would be best .give me a call 250-296-4151 thanks rob.

bowhunterbruce
05-31-2009, 06:12 PM
sending you a pm

Angel
06-01-2009, 07:16 AM
Hey I believe gatehouse has a hound he is trying to find a home for, im not sure if it is still available or not but its worth a try. it is a beautiful dog.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-01-2009, 07:36 AM
Here are some pups for sale.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=35391

SSS

BIGHUNTERFISH
06-01-2009, 09:30 AM
Not sure why you would ever want to put a hound on a day or two old track. When the cat is 20+ miles away, good luck catching up to your hounds! Look for freshies!

My dads been hunting cats for thirty years and he has treed lots of cats that started off as 1 or two day old tracks.You keep the dogs on the leach and hope you cut a fresher track if the cougar has a kill or the snow conditions are ideal,if the cat is in prime winter range why would he have to be thirty miles ,away he could be in the bluffs a mile away from the 2 day old track.

Fisher-Dude
06-01-2009, 12:34 PM
My dads been hunting cats for thirty years and he has treed lots of cats that started off as 1 or two day old tracks.You keep the dogs on the leach and hope you cut a fresher track if the cougar has a kill or the snow conditions are ideal,if the cat is in prime winter range why would he have to be thirty miles ,away he could be in the bluffs a mile away from the 2 day old track.

Without boxing a cat in, there's no way in hell I'd set a hound on a cold track. BHF is a bit too fat to chase hounds, so I imagine he's unfamiliar with "dog recovery hunts". :biggrin:

Keeping a hound on a leash and wandering the cold track until you cut a fresh one is a waste of time and energy. Might as well cut a fresh track in the first place. :wink: Hunting cats in an area that isn't well-roaded for boxing them in is asking for trouble.

horshur
06-01-2009, 05:08 PM
Ben Lily only ran fresh ones after boxing em in.lOL

dana
06-01-2009, 05:52 PM
Without boxing a cat in, there's no way in hell I'd set a hound on a cold track. BHF is a bit too fat to chase hounds, so I imagine he's unfamiliar with "dog recovery hunts". :biggrin:

Keeping a hound on a leash and wandering the cold track until you cut a fresh one is a waste of time and energy. Might as well cut a fresh track in the first place. :wink: Hunting cats in an area that isn't well-roaded for boxing them in is asking for trouble.

Spoken like a diehard lazy ass road hunter. ;)

horshur
06-03-2009, 03:34 PM
Rob are looking for a dog to go right now or a pup.....I know of some pups that may make the grade probably go for a decent price.

2stroke
06-18-2009, 10:45 PM
looking for hound for hunting cats with good nose that can track 1 or 2 day old track .

Looking for any new puppies from "HOT" Dogs?
Later, 2stroke

Nait Hadya
06-29-2009, 08:24 PM
we chased cats for a few years now and aint never boxed one in before loosing the hounds. in fact it would be a dam big box if we did and probably have some wolves in it too. LOL we hunt mostly roadless country with lots of wolves and you just gotta be aware of their travel habits. very often old tracks lead to a fresh kill and a treed lion. tha's why guys want cold nosed hounds that have the drive to trail it out!

plumbcrazy
11-11-2009, 02:59 PM
I just picked up 2 pups from Gerald Arkell in Nanaimo. Both parents are great on cats. The pups look promising. They are 11 weeks old.

SHAKER
11-15-2009, 10:57 AM
I would generaly have to agree with the "get them in a loop". Though a 2 day old track can be worked out and treed quickly... in my experience these runs are usually just a dog work out and not often sucessful in treeing your critter.

Gunner27
11-21-2009, 08:09 PM
There is a bluetick hound for sale @ www.houndpoundn.com (http://www.houndpoundn.com).