PDA

View Full Version : MEMORABLE Grizzly HUNT, the fly on the wall version

elkdom
05-30-2009, 11:53 AM
last night after 6pm, I drove out about 10 klms from my home, parked my pic-up took a walk on a wide and lush grass covered pipeline, had my rifle, bino's and spotting scope, hunting license and bear tags in my pocket,

after about 15 minutes I topped a hill on the pipeline, from this vantage point I could see about 3 or 4 kms of rolling hills, immediately about 700 meters down the pipeline I spot 2 hunters in cammo, carrying rifles, and about 300 meters ahead of them is a Grizzly feeding on the pipeline, the pipeline about 50 meters wide and with a ridge down the center, the wind is blowing hard,about 50/60 kms, right in my face as the same for the Gbear and the other hunters, great opportunity here as the wind is "right", no chance of being scented by the Gbear, and also strong wind provides great "noise' cover,,, let the games begin, I get comfy and set my spotting scope at 40 power,,,

the stalk !, well the Gbear is feeding but on the move constantly, always moving into the wind, constantly checking side to side and behind, the Gbear feeding moves from side to side over the center berm of the pipeline, the hunters are trying to get close enough for a shot, but the berm not only provides cover, but an obstacle to get a good shot, for the hunters to keep out of sight and still see the bear, is a challenge, I know the area and the bush is very thick making it impossible to make time and get close to the bear, so they have to stay out in the open, meanwhile the Gbear is feeding and moving fast into the wind,finally after about an hour of watching the hunters and the Gbear have moved another 1000 meters down the pipeline, now the hunters within about 200 meters of the Gbear, the bear is feeding angling back and forth across the center berm, the hunter gets down on a prone position, on the berm,,,

the shot!, the bear presents himself several times broadside, I am wondering why the hunter hasnt taken the shot?, I watch intently! obvious the hunter is quite nervous, he keeps checking his buddy behind him, I can see them nodding to each other, now the Gbear is broadside, about 200 meters from the hunter, the Gbear nibbling on dandelions, the hunter looking through his scope, several minutes goes by,,,, I am wondering whats taking this guy so long to shoot? then I see a PUFF of DUST! about 10 meters from the Gbear, a bit past the Gbear and to his rear,,, the Gbear makes a couple of quick lunges, and disappears into the heavy bush,,, after I see the PUFF of DUST from the shot, I count,,, 1001,1002, 1003, then I hear BOOM,,

the hunters get up and walk over to near where the Gbear was when the hunter shot, they walk back and forth few a few minutes, looking for signs of a "HIT", lucky for the Gbear the HIT was about 10 meters past him and to the rear of his rump,

the FLY on the WALL!, I picked up my gear and headed back to my truck, dammit!!! I enjoyed watching that! my own bear tags in my pocket meant nothing while I watched that hunter stalk and miss his Gbear, very interesting evening for sure,,,8)

Gateholio
05-30-2009, 12:05 PM
OUCH!!

Well, we all miss from time to time...:roll::biggrin:

elkdom
05-30-2009, 12:07 PM
200 meters away and the shot misses by 10 meters? Somethings not right about this story.

I watched the "shot" ! the bullet hit at least 10 meters past the bear! slightly behind and 10 meters past the Gbear!, I have No idea WHO the hunter was, and I couldn't care less! but is the way the hunt unfolded, from me watching though 40X laying down, about 1800 meters away, and from a vantage point with quite a bit of elevation!

obvious for sure he was no MARKSMAN! :-D

elkdom
05-30-2009, 12:18 PM
Boar Fever!

quite obvious it was "BOAR FEVER",

if he had of "HIT the bear and was not able to tell or know he had a "hit" I would of walked down and informed them of that, but as it was a clear "miss" from my vantage point, I felt no reason to look the hunter in the eye and inform him I watched his hunt of a lifetime go bad!:oops:

Tikka270wsm
05-30-2009, 01:06 PM
A clean miss is a hell of a lot better than making a bad shot, especially on a Grizz in that situation. Cool story!

leadpillproductions
05-30-2009, 01:09 PM
Thats A Great Story Thanks For Sharing

BCbillies
05-30-2009, 03:04 PM
No matter how you slice it . . . it's great to watch, be part of, or hear of a good stalk . . . unless everyone involved is stalking the same animal! Now that's intense!

A little extra time spent shooting prior to the hunt never hurts. ;-)

gamehunter6o
05-30-2009, 04:00 PM
Great story, but a bit like sex without climax.:cry:

hunter1947
05-31-2009, 04:22 AM
Good story elkdom.

This hunter shooting at this bear and missing it by a large margerin ,there had to be something wrong ????..

Did he shoot his gun in at the range to see where his bullet placement was ??? ,he might of wanted to move in closer for a better shot ??? ,was the wind a factor ???? ,did he have a good rest when he shot ????.

I myself would not shoot unless I new all was smack on before shooting as I stated above ,maybe everything that i stated above was all right for this hunter when he shot and just might have got griz fever ???:?:.

Stone Sheep Steve
05-31-2009, 08:39 AM
Was it a decent bear??
You said the grizz was constantly checking side to side and behind.
Those big boyz don't look around too much except to find out where their next mouthfull is coming from.

Cool thing to watch, regardless!

SSS

BillyBull
05-31-2009, 10:28 AM
Sounds like you had a great time watching the whole event unfold... even to the point that I sense you were just a little excited for the guy as you anticipated the shot.

elkdom
05-31-2009, 11:07 AM
Was it a decent bear??
You said the grizz was constantly checking side to side and behind.
Those big boyz don't look around too much except to where their next mouthfull is coming from.

Cool thing to watch, regardless!

SSS

the Gbear the guy was stalking wasnt large, in real nice shape but by no means BIG, maybe squeak in at 6 ft, and I have taken a few Gbears over the years, also guided many non-residents for Gbear in years gone by,

this particular area has quite a few Gbears, there is a big Gbear boar I have spotted for a couple of years that feeds that pipeline, also a real big Momma Gbear with three last years cubs not far away, I think this was a Newbie Gbear to the area and he is real nervous, being in someone elses "tulip patch" ,

it seemed to me the hunter was very nervous from his actions I observed, I do think he just got the FEVER!,personally I dont take shots at gbears more than 100-125 yards, specially when there is such heavy cover on both sides such as on this pipeline, I have faced a couple of wounded Gbears in real thick $hit and I dont need that much Adrenalin pumpin through my veins anymore, the strong wind wasnt the problem as it was head on wind, that wont drift your shot unless your shooting your BB gun,

nevertheless it was a GREAT thing to watch from my vantage point, almost as much fun as the time I watched a guy POACH 2 deer out of season, on his "posted land" then haul them to his barn with his tractor!

but thats another story,,,