PDA

View Full Version : Saltwater Fly fishing

ferndogger
05-29-2009, 03:24 PM
I am going to visit my GF's parents on Saturna Island in a few days for a week. I am thinking about bringing a fly rod and trying my luck. I have never fly fished on the ocean before and wondering if its worth trying and if anyone has any pointers. I will be fishing off the shore. I am gonna bring my crappier gear as I know the salt water will not be good for it. Wondering if it will work to use my flies that I use for freshwater trout/salmon. Any help would be good.
Thanks

Buck
05-29-2009, 04:09 PM
I have only caught them while trolling .I would see a big bait ball come to the surface and the Coho would start slashing through and up comes the trolling gear.Motor to the bait ball throw out the silver thorn and hang on.Fast sinking line.

deer nut
05-29-2009, 04:19 PM
Try salmon fry patterns near creek mouths or along shore for sea-run cutthroats. They are beautfiul and feisty fish that cruise the near-shore areas in little "packs". Catch & release only though.

Johnnybear
05-29-2009, 05:47 PM
Try salmon fry patterns near creek mouths or along shore for sea-run cutthroats. They are beautfiul and feisty fish that cruise the near-shore areas in little "packs". Catch & release only though.

Interesting :???:?

This is what the regs say.

Trout (http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/species-especes/trout-truite-eng.htm)1 to 10 30cm24N/AAll YearHook & lineSpecies includes hatchery steelhead, cutthroat, brown and dolly varden. Only 1 fish per day may be greater than 50cm. Daily limit is 0 in the tidal waters of Tlell River in
Area 2 (http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s02-eng.htm).11 to 29 30cm24N/AAll YearHook & lineRetention of hatchery marked fish only.
No retention of wild fish south of Cape Caution.

You can keep hatchery fish.

kyleklassen
05-29-2009, 08:35 PM
never seen a marked cutthroat

Johnnybear
05-30-2009, 04:48 PM
never seen a marked cutthroat

I haven't either. I have only caught one once off the beach targeting pinks up by McNeil. It sure fought harder than the pinks we were catching:-D.

MB_Boy
05-30-2009, 05:00 PM
Your best bet for somewhere to try would be off the rocks on East Point. Try off the side that faces the US (Orcas Island).....not on the inside where Tumbo Channel is.

There used to be springs caught off there just chucking buzz bombs out, but I know these days the "action" is VERY sporadic.