PDA

View Full Version : Trail Cam Question

vislander
05-29-2009, 02:15 PM
I got a trail cam for christmas and set it up in the bush the other day for the first time.Collected it after 5 days and had 43 pics,not one animal in the lot.Is it being activated by squirrels,birds and such hidden in the underbrush?

kenadiens
05-29-2009, 02:18 PM
Could just be the wind blowing branches.

vislander
05-29-2009, 10:56 PM
with the infra red sensor?

gary murray
05-30-2009, 01:00 AM
I had that problem. Don't have it facing East or West and only point it North or South. The rising and setting of the sun causes the camera to take pics from all the shadows being cast along the ground as it's rising and setting. I found that out many a time thinking i had 20 pics of game only to find nothing on there. I'd skip through the pics and see only the shadows moving. Squirrels and other small game can set it off too but i doubt that is what caused your camera to go off all 43 times.

fester
05-30-2009, 06:04 AM
I had the same problem the first day I set mine up I had about 100 sunset photos.

UWAY Outdoors Canada
06-02-2009, 06:01 PM
vislander,

Seems like a lot of us run into that problem from time to time. I set a camera at High trigger sensitivity the other day and forgot to move some tall grass in front of the camera. It was windy all week and I had 600+ pictures and only a few actual animal triggers.

Also, as was mentioned, the sun can play a roll in triggering pictures if it is pointed to the sunrise or sunset. Sometimes I find you have no choice though.

boxhitch
06-02-2009, 07:48 PM
Triggered by moving shadows ? Really ?

I've had dogs and squirrels trigger mine, but are gone from the scene by the time the camera activates.
I make sure to set up pointing along a trail instead of across it. Different cameras have a different trigger speed.