PDA

View Full Version : 7-39 report.Griz & black bear combo.

sneg
05-29-2009, 09:08 AM
Travel
Our group of 3 had Idea to get 2 grizzly LEH in region we had in mind for fall moose hunt. We have got 2 substitute grizzly LEH in region 7-39. Not as planned and not in region that we know . Holder of 1 LEH could not go . Anyway two of us have decided to give it a try. Have done some research , checked maps and etc. Also thanks to all who send me PM with pointers. Left on Friday of long weekend, 6 PM, slowly moving on HWY 1. We have got min supplies, but lot of gas and rescue gear. We have got our full gas in PG.
Plan was to go as far as we can toward Spatizi park and than hunt way down to south east corner of 7-39.
About 5 AM following morning we are pulling to Finlay main FSR. Road is good, almost like hwy, not much traffic, mostly mine trucks.
Have seen lot of game : moose, black bears, foxes, wolves , abundance of birds . Just unbelievable.
Weather was scorching hot, dust everywhere. All has changed once we come to higher elevation. Now there is snow everywhere. Stopped for night some dozen miles after Thutade lake. Next morning sitting in snow and watching snow storm we are debating if it make sense to move forward. Lucky storm very quickly calmed down and we are on our way to the top.
What a beautiful place on top of Plato. Road to Tutlatu and Spatsizi parks still under few meters of snow. It looks like nobody is going to clean it. So check places around mines close to Duncan Lake. Anyway there is not much access anywhere and above 1450 m is closed to vehicles. Very cool place to see.

Basically we checked side roads branching off Finlay. It amazing to see variety of vegetation and landscape. In one valley still lot of snow and in next valley grass and tree are greening already. Similarly weather here is snow, there is rain and there is sunshine. However most of the time it was chilly. Distances are huge. Backroad maps and GPS Topo are incorrect in lot of places.
Roads are reasonably good ,but could be very soft .We stuck couple times in mud in middle of nowhere. Got out by winching and HiJacking.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/thumbs/DSCN7052.JPGhttp://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/thumbs/DSCN7104.JPG

Hunt

We have seen a number of bears ,but most too far or smallish size.
One place hold particularly lot of griz sign . So we walked a lot there. Just when started to drive out of valley about 150 m spotted griz crossing our road. It seen us and dashed toward clear cut above.
Short drive, get out of truck ,run to see as griz cross over log on top of clear cut hill.
Decision is fast and simple. Partner , call him Kozak here, run on the side road leading straight angle from direction griz run away and than round up to the top of clear cut. I follow griz run away path. I have this idea that usually bear if not too much scared ,but slightly pressed will move somehow forward than change direction almost straight angle to initial path. Also they will want to see what is after them, so griz will move rather backward to danger. So, I should drive griz out and Kozak should see him on my left and his right.
I do not know if it makes any sense, but we have decided to try this theory. There were couple minutes of wondering where griz is. Also steep hill does not provide much of view.
We were like 150 m apart and I see Kozak aims and shoot. What is it ? Did you get it ? He is speechless . Standing position, clean head shot at 210 m, just as griz crossed clearing between piles of trees. Nice shot. It may be not the biggest griz ,but for sure hide is very cool. Now work begin. Saw some trees to get access ,skin out, pack and go. LEH tag filled. The black bear appeared about 270 m ahead. Got of truck and discuss if it shooter or not. Before we have decided bear turned around and run back into the bush. I shot . Clearly hit it, later found it was lower part of lung area .Right thru. Second shot I have made in moment bear entered behind bush. That second I could see only it s back and gestimated shot placement . Bullet shattered left shoulder blade and exited opposite side.
When we approached location hear noise of braking branches and bear typical sound when it hit thru lungs. Than noticed it crawling between logs. It was clear bear is not going too far. However each yard deeper into the forest is one more yard farther to carry it out. Followed bear with caution till found it under pile of logs and branches, still making noise. Holy smoke, to dismantle that pile we will need chain saw and couple hours of work. Lucky for us bear decided to crawl more . Final shot put bear to peace. Very tough animal, unbelievable. Pictures, clean up and haul. 9.30 PM we are on our way back, next day early morning home.
Overall it was very enjoyable trip –good hunt, seen lot of wild life and had fun.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/2009_spring_hunt_13_form.JPG

sneg
05-29-2009, 09:12 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/2009_spring_hunt_77_form.JPG

sneg
05-29-2009, 09:26 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSCN7089F.JPG

sneg
05-29-2009, 09:26 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSCN7082F.JPG

sneg
05-29-2009, 09:28 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/2009_spring_hunt_84_1.JPG

leadpillproductions
05-29-2009, 09:30 AM
Some nice looking bears sounds like a fun trip, even if there still snow congrads .

Summit 512
05-29-2009, 09:58 AM
Congrads on the good looking bears guys....thanks for sharing

ryanb
05-29-2009, 10:54 AM
Nice bears, congrats. Glad you guys went and made use of the tag, even though I'm sure you probably heard some sort of scary stories about the natives up that way.

sneg
05-29-2009, 11:03 AM
Thanks. "Natives" was our favorite joke all the trip. However in fact we talked only to mine stuff for whole time.I m not into violence,but feel too old to be scared either. Overall it is nice country.

trigger
05-29-2009, 11:10 AM
sounds like an awesome hunt. congrats to you both on some very fine looking bears.

whitespringer
05-29-2009, 12:28 PM
Nice bears, thanks for the pics. Are you going back up that way for Moose now that you have explored:?:

sneg
05-29-2009, 01:05 PM
No
Have some other plans for fall.But will keep area in mind ,in case plans changed.

Nice bears, thanks for the pics. Are you going back up that way for Moose now that you have explored:?:

hunter1947
05-30-2009, 06:10 AM
Nice combo bears you got ,very nice story as for the pic ,way to go ,congrats to the two of you.

5 spike
05-30-2009, 06:21 AM
congrats to everybody some fine looking bears and great pics

sniper58
05-30-2009, 03:51 PM
If you're the guys that dumped the grizzly carcass halfway up the hill to the Kemess Mine gate, you're not very popular!

moosinaround
05-30-2009, 07:23 PM
If you're the guys that dumped the grizzly carcass halfway up the hill to the Kemess Mine gate, you're not very popular!
Nice contribution to the thread you arse! Moosin

moosinaround
05-30-2009, 07:24 PM
Sweet trip boys!! Nice bears! Moosin

sniper58
05-31-2009, 08:23 AM
Moosin,

The point of my comment was that someone (not blaming anyone here)took it upon themselves to dump a carcass less than 1 km from a camp with 250 people in it, trespassing on a private road, in an active mining area. The CO's that were up there on Tuesday and Wednesday were not impressed either
With almost 100 km of road with no habitation, why would somebody do that? Definitely a lack of class by somebody!
And I didn't mention that another "hunter" killed a sow , leaving a new cub orphaned.

Gr8 white hunter
05-31-2009, 09:05 AM
very nice bears guys thanks for the pics . also maybe the locals or the natives that dumped the carcus or killer the sow??????????????

gbear
05-31-2009, 01:47 PM
Congrats on the grizzly. Nice bear!

sniper58
05-31-2009, 01:50 PM
very nice bears guys thanks for the pics . also maybe the locals or the natives that dumped the carcus or killer the sow??????????????

The natives haven't been in the area yet this year, and the closest "locals" are in Germansen Landing, which is 250 km away.

sneg
06-01-2009, 07:34 AM
Sniper 58
First- we did not go up toward Kemmes mine. Road to mine left on right and we went straight/left.
Second - we harvested our bears number of KM from main logging road. If you are interested I 'll send you GPS coordinates so you can go and check on carcasses.
Third - I have no idea how many LEH were given this year and how many hunters harvested their bears. But I think it would be unreasonable to expect that only one that posted on this forum is bad guy .
Forth- I m hunter over 30 years and have my ideas about etics.

So, Sniper58 back off and do not rain on my parade.

Thanks
Sneg

Re: 7-39 report.Griz & black bear combo.

jml11
06-01-2009, 10:43 AM
Sniper 58
Third - I have no idea how many LEH were given this year and how many hunters harvested their bears. But I think it would be unreasonable to expect that only one that posted on this forum is bad guy .

Sneg, there were 55 available tags in 7-39 which is the second highest in the whole province, just behind the 66 handed out in 7-38. Because your hunt was a substite hunt, there was low demand and it is possible that not all the tags were handed out; however, there is the potential for a lot of activity in the area!

Rackmastr
06-01-2009, 10:47 AM
Sneg, there were 55 available tags in 7-39 which is the second highest in the whole province, just behind the 66 handed out in 7-38. Because your hunt was a substite hunt, there was low demand and it is possible that not all the tags were handed out; however, there is the potential for a lot of activity in the area!

Thats a lot of tags!! Tons of bears in those areas though from what I've seen in the past.....

sneg
06-01-2009, 11:24 AM
jml11,

I think area hold good number of G-bears.It is somehow to far to go, so may be not all tags holders will go.Means it should be easier to connect if you go.
I think it good place for Griz in fall,also one can connect to other species. Best of all ,no traffic, no crowds once you go off main roads.

Nooker77
06-01-2009, 04:49 PM
Congrats guys..hope the intell was of good use!!8)
Cheers

sneg
06-02-2009, 07:09 AM
Nooker77
Your pointers were quite usefull , thanks.
It is always nice to learn new area.

Mik
06-02-2009, 08:05 AM
Congrats on the kills, those are both great bears. That is a great area, been up there 3 times in the fall and it gets quite busy up there, even though, like you said, its a long way in.

sneg
06-02-2009, 01:04 PM
Mik,
I think you right. Judging from number of hunting camps and piles of garbage left behind by some of hunters it definetly looks like busy time in the fall. I think place is quite popular probably due to easy access.

ko3ak
06-29-2009, 09:22 PM
According to compulsory inspection this one is 5 years old male. Mountain grizzly are not growing up big in size, so don't expect to meet any monsters in 7-39. Coastal grizzzlies are bigger because they have access to salmon but they have tendency to rub their fur off.

shanevg
06-30-2009, 01:36 PM
Great write up! I loved reading the story and seeing the pics since I don't get any spring bear hunting or any grizzly hunting down here in Washington. Congrats on the successful hunt too!

I do have a question for you. I am not in any way trying to question your hunting methods or anything like that, I am just curious about something. In Washington state we are required to keep all the meat from any bears that we shoot. I know that is not the law in BC. I totally understand why you would not want to keep the meat of a salmon fed bear as it would not taste good at all. But why would you not keep the meat from a mountain black bear and grizzly like the ones you guys shot? It seems that the meat would be just fine. Maybe I'm misreading your posts and you did keep the meat, in which case of anyone could answer my question as a general statement I would appreciate it.

Thanks and again: Congrats!!! (I'm jealous)!

Downwind
06-30-2009, 03:53 PM
Great write up! I loved reading the story and seeing the pics since I don't get any spring bear hunting or any grizzly hunting down here in Washington. Congrats on the successful hunt too!

I do have a question for you. I am not in any way trying to question your hunting methods or anything like that, I am just curious about something. In Washington state we are required to keep all the meat from any bears that we shoot. I know that is not the law in BC. I totally understand why you would not want to keep the meat of a salmon fed bear as it would not taste good at all. But why would you not keep the meat from a mountain black bear and grizzly like the ones you guys shot? It seems that the meat would be just fine. Maybe I'm misreading your posts and you did keep the meat, in which case of anyone could answer my question as a general statement I would appreciate it.

Thanks and again: Congrats!!! (I'm jealous)!

It's only grizzlies that you don't have to keep the meat. The meat requirement is required for black bears.

shanevg
06-30-2009, 04:14 PM
It's only grizzlies that you don't have to keep the meat. The meat requirement is required for black bears.

So does grizzly meat not taste good or what? What makes it different than black bears?

sillybear
06-30-2009, 08:20 PM
From my last spring interior grizzly I saved a hind quarter roast.(The rest went into sausage.) I did this roast up for our recent club game banquet.
The roast all went and to rave reviews. Everyone including the CO's who had never eaten grizzly commented how great it was.
Just like black bears you can get good ones and bad.

ko3ak
07-08-2009, 09:35 PM
From my last spring interior grizzly I saved a hind quarter roast.(The rest went into sausage.) I did this roast up for our recent club game banquet.
The roast all went and to rave reviews. Everyone including the CO's who had never eaten grizzly commented how great it was.
Just like black bears you can get good ones and bad.

It's good one! Next time I'll try some Grizzly's meat!
According to current BC regulations hunter is obligated to keep "eatable part" of Black Bear. This rule doesn't apply on Grizzly. Why? Probably because of differences between these two species. Black Bears are mostly vegeterian and eat meat only on occasion.
Grizzlies are hunters. And if they get something, usually they drag it into dence bushes, bury it under leaves and branches, urinate all around to mark territory and leave for couple weeks to make meet more tender and delicious. ;)

drakfero
08-01-2009, 04:31 PM
did you guys see some spike moose , deers or good elk?

sneg
08-04-2009, 07:38 AM
there was plenty of moose.have not seen elk or deer.but again we were looking for bears in places where one normally can not expect elk or deer.