PDA

View Full Version : pukeashun mountain

ghost
05-29-2009, 06:26 AM
On the last long weekend I drove up the kwikoit FSR about 24k and had to turn back ,truck issues.Iwas trying to get to the trailhead for Pukeashun mtn. The area looked pretty intresting.Wondering if anyone can tell me if this an area worthy of an alpine hunt. Hiking three or four hours to set up camp is not an issue.I am not looking for anyones secret spot just what one can expect up there. :?:

Billyisgr8
10-05-2009, 10:36 PM
I was just up there this weekend Oct 4 to the grizzly creek lodge and then went up the mountain, saw cougar and wolf tracks high up in the snow thats it. Lodge caretaker said he has seen no wildlife this year yet, which is odd, as he saw many moose and deer right up to the lodge last year . Only about 1" of snow up on top.

ghost
10-07-2009, 05:16 PM
How far is the lodge from Grizzly lake.Which way is better to get there going up Kwikoit creek or did you drive in from Albas.Any info would be great.

Billyisgr8
10-07-2009, 09:25 PM
We never went to Grizzly lake, but the lake is 12,000' from the lodge as the crow flies on google earth. I do not know what creek we were by, but we parked at the scotch creek forestry rd parking lot just off the main road, and quaded 40k to the cabin. On the way there we went the snow mobile trail, and on the way back down the forestry road which is 10k longer. The care taker says he can drive his truck to the lodge in 1 1/2 hours driving at a moderate speed from the scotch creek parking lot. Here is a map of the route we took. This was the first time into this area for me. I was invited to tag along for the day. #16 is not the lodge, it is the junction of the shortcut and the road, I marked it cause no one had gone the other way before, and we did not want to get lost.

http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy254/Billyisgr8/grizzlycreeklodge.jpg?t=1254975672

ghost
10-07-2009, 09:48 PM
By the look of your map you went up Kwikoit creek. Did you see any body else up there.

Billyisgr8
10-08-2009, 06:19 AM
We saw no-one else. Only other people up to the lodge recently was a couple on horseback 2 days before. There are a bunch of workers going to be at the lodge for the next while. The size of the lodge is amazing for being out in the middle of nowhere. 26 bedrooms I think?